Slacko RC

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Stripe

#261 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

bad news I'm afraid (well for lobster anyway) cannot get openshot 1.4 to compile.

just took a couple of screenshots of slacko-5.29.5 to show what it can do,

the first shows my toolbars unhidden so that you can see them (thanks DaveS for the howto and ttuuxx for the jwm theme)

the second is one of htop taken while compiling qemu, proving that puppy can make full use of newer hardware as well. (just look at them numbers :lol: )
Attachments
sd1.png
(156.13 KiB) Downloaded 783 times
htop.png
(13.06 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
:D Testing PuppyPhone version 1.3PRE :D

grump

Re: Script to freeze X

#262 Post by grump »

I've just got back to this problem - I've been having another fiddle so can answer some questions.
gcmartin wrote:
grump wrote: ... If I just want to freeze X, I click on the file in ROX ...
I have a similar script and this is a problem not just with Slacko, but with other 32bit PUPs as well including lastest WARY. But, not all exhibit this problem.

To get around this, requires a Ctrl-Alt-Bkspace in the Live media system.
Um, don't know what this means or how to do it - well, I know hot to Ctrl-Alt-Bkspace, but when and where?
ALSO be aware, that this NEVER happens to me when the script is issued from the command line.
Me too.
Question to @Grump
When you issue the script on the command line, does the command pause waiting for a password entry?
On command line it asks for a password = there is none so I press Enter. My current guess is that X is freezing because mount prompts for input but can't get through X.
Hope this helps
It has thanks.

To rcrsn51:
Pnethood works perfect for me.
I was looking for a little script project to get my hand in again (have not coded for years, except for MS bat files) and wanted a button on the desktop that would mount the windows share, so this is where I started.

I appreciate your patience and willingness to help others.

otropogo

#263 Post by otropogo »

01micko wrote:
8-bit wrote:
Hmm. For some reason the BBS has stopped giving me notices of new posts here. I just came to investigate and found a bunch...
-

Otropogo

I have 3 feelings about your situation.
The first is, is that I have a very similar chipset to the one you describe in my laptop however the PAE (aka RC++) version does not boot as the centrino cpu does not support PAE (yes, a lot of jargon, I will explain more clearly in the release notes. The SMP version may be friendlier).
Second, is there some corruption in your FAT32 partiton? FAT32 is not optimal, but in saying that please be sure that it is clean and that the disk is as clean as possible.
I don't know how to verify that the disk is as clean as possible. But I've been booting with 2fs files from that same partition with Lupu 5.2.8, and before that, Puppy 4.3.1, a couple of times a day or more, and have never had a boot problem.

Is Slacko known to be more vulnerable to such "corruption" than Puppy4xx, or lupu 5.2.8? If not, why would it boot fine with them and not with Slacko?
Last, .. you mention being unable to boot correctly from CD (after a successful clean boot). This indicates a problem with the medium or the device.
I verified both the downloaded iso and the burn. And the CD has never failed to boot, with or without an xfs file, on the other PC I've used it on. As for the boot device, I boot from it every day with Lupu, and before that with Puppy 4.XX, and have never experienced any such problem.
The only reason I suggest all this is that your problems seem very unique. Testing of Slacko has been ongoing over a number of months and no reports of your issues have surfaced.

That may have something to do with the reception newcomers to this thread receive when they bring problems that are critical and not easily fixable. Considering some of the responses I received, I'm not surprised you haven't heard any such reports.
I hope you can sort it out.
What's the point of trying, since you suggested at the outset that it's probably an incompatibility with the cpu? Maybe you should have investigated that fully before casting suspicion on my hard drive, my burner, and my ability to verify a burn.

Do you really expect new users of your variant to post their inability to boot it when your own first reaction is to try to put a dunce cap on them?

Maybe if you had at least one positive report from someone using Slacko 5.29.6 on an Intel D865GLC MoBo I'd be tempted to keep trying your distro. Do you?

-
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

grump

#264 Post by grump »

To get around this, requires a Ctrl-Alt-Bkspace in the Live media system.
Um, don't know what this means or how to do it - well, I know hot to Ctrl-Alt-Bkspace, but when and where?.
All is well - I've worked what that does, thanks. Much neater than a hard reboot.

01micko

#265 Post by 01micko »

otropogo wrote:
Last, .. you mention being unable to boot correctly from CD (after a successful clean boot). This indicates a problem with the medium or the device.
I verified both the downloaded iso and the burn. And the CD has never failed to boot, with or without an xfs file, on the other PC I've used it on. As for the boot device, I boot from it every day with Lupu, and before that with Puppy 4.XX, and have never experienced any such problem.

Well... you did state that you booted Slacko and now it doesn't boot from the same CD. I can only offer logical opinions. Did you scratch the media?
otropogo wrote:
The only reason I suggest all this is that your problems seem very unique. Testing of Slacko has been ongoing over a number of months and no reports of your issues have surfaced.

That may have something to do with the reception newcomers to this thread receive when they bring problems that are critical and not easily fixable. Considering some of the responses I received, I'm not surprised you haven't heard any such reports.
Really? Most customers are left happy, if not they are given a full refund. On the other hand, I see there have been flames thrown. Hmm.. let he without sin cast the first flame?
I stay out of such wars. Unfortunately, public fora tend to get this way, nothing I can do about it, but I think you are the first to draw negativity from this thread. (Apart from Sage and mavrothal's little spat, but they have been regulars on this thread).
otropogo wrote:
I hope you can sort it out.
What's the point of trying, since you suggested at the outset that it's probably an incompatibility with the cpu? Maybe you should have investigated that fully before casting suspicion on my hard drive, my burner, and my ability to verify a burn.

Do you really expect new users of your variant to post their inability to boot it when your own first reaction is to try to put a dunce cap on them?

Maybe if you had at least one positive report from someone using Slacko 5.29.6 on an Intel D865GLC MoBo I'd be tempted to keep trying your distro. Do you?

-
Intel D865GLC MoBo users? Any? Does this distro work for you?

Otropogo.

Did you try the other kernel as suggested? If bandwidth is an issue I can mail you a CD.

Dunce cap? Is that how you feel I have treated you? If you really feel that way then I apologise, but I don't think I've suggested anything to belittle you or anyone else on this forum.
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 20 Oct 2011, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

Tasgarth

#266 Post by Tasgarth »

Nvidia driver :( slacko-5.29.6-SCSI.iso)
Impossible to get it.
Nvidia GeForce 7600GT
Attachments
Quickset2..jpg
(47.79 KiB) Downloaded 792 times

01micko

#267 Post by 01micko »

Tasgarth,

That is an old slickpet, the version on RC is 1.4. I'll upload a new version, please try it and report.

Here it is<-- http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -1.6.0.pet
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 20 Oct 2011, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#268 Post by Lobster »

bad news I'm afraid (well for lobster anyway) cannot get openshot 1.4 to compile.
Thanks Stripe.
Appreciate the effort. :)
It is a challenging program and requires a lot to get running (accelerated drivers, xfce and python)
Puppy was never originally designed for these major big programs.
However they are such fun to learn and use.
And Puppy evolves.
Maybe there is a Slackware Openshot already done . . .
just took a couple of screenshots of slacko-5.29.5 to show what it can do,
Are you using wbar? Is that available?
Also noticed you are using the latest Puppy Phone. That is a fun program available now for most 5 series Puppy and should work OK on earlier versions too
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyPhone

Make sure Mrs Stripe puts a Raspberry Pi in your Christmas stocking
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PARM
We gonna need all the smart guys we can find . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Tasgarth

#269 Post by Tasgarth »

PPm -> Puppy-slacko -> Desktop -> blackbox 0.70.7 -> ... another repository ... -> puppy-slacko -> Desktop -> browserdefaut-0.3-spup
But it's the old slickpet ?
I am testing the new...
Attachments
PPM2.jpg
(59.82 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
PPM1.jpg
(72.8 KiB) Downloaded 284 times

Tasgarth

#270 Post by Tasgarth »

Hi Mick
That is an old slickpet, the version on RC is 1.4. I'll upload a new version, please try it and report.
new slickpet :
No good ... always the same bad fish :wink:

rcrsn51

#271 Post by rcrsn51 »

grump wrote:On command line it asks for a password = there is none so I press Enter. My current guess is that X is freezing because mount prompts for input but can't get through X.
Change your script to

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
mount.cifs //192.168.1.101/DadE /mnt/network/STUDY/DadE -o username=guest,guest

DaveS

#272 Post by DaveS »

Mick, just a heads up in case it is a woof thing that may affect future versions of Slacko http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 645#574645
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

emil

#273 Post by emil »

I just wanted to thank micko01 for his incredible work and say that I am very impressed with slacko. Big Thumbs Up.

However on these boot issues with CD i cannot help muchin testing, because I don't use CD's anymore. Frugal installs to HD are so easy and fast. Is it too far fetched to say that most testers and developers don't burn loads of CD'S anymore? So there *might* be less testing in this area?

What I noticed is, that the step in the boot process where it says "Looking for Puppy files ..." seems to take more time now on my computer and there are red dots appearing. Was there a change somewhere? Can anyone point out (link?) what has been changed and where?

Thanks
emil

"Keep the Faith" keeps inspiring me ....

01micko

#274 Post by 01micko »

Dave,

It's ok, I have a custom /etc/fonts/, thanks to Iguleder.

Emil,

Thanks. As for CD, I boot all machines that I have access to with if they are equipped with a CD drive. A couple of older ones included. CD is not the issue.

In woof, Barry is doing a more thorough search for puppy files to make it more reliable at a cost of speed, this occurs in frugals and CD boots. I think there is a pfix parameter that can speed up frugal boots pointing to the save file location that you can add to your kernel line.
This change was introduced early this year, I would need to do some digging to get you a link.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

emil

#275 Post by emil »

hi,
micko thanks for explaining. I will dig it up myself. :wink: Save your time for slacko.
emil

DaveS

#276 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:Dave,

It's ok, I have a custom /etc/fonts/, thanks to Iguleder.

Well, its a winner. I notice a couple of games I have now display better menu fonts too :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#277 Post by Lobster »

Big Thumbs Up
Big claws up from me too.

For the fully baked, I am working on a new version of YAP for Slacko
- which of course will be of no use to anyone even partially sane (unless modified to spaghetti monster or Church of the Subgenius links etc)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BuddhistYAP

Yap is for setting up a laptop or computer as a virtual shrine.
I have started doing a 'wrathful practice' - which in traditional vajrayana is secret because it involves blood drinking monsters (or root users as some penguins would have it)
However in Yinyana, which is my style of Buddhism, we don't have any secrets worth repeating.

As soon as I have it running, will post.
Good karma is dedicated to Micko.
All problems are as usual the fault of official Puppy scapegoat (bugman)
OM YA HA HUM (translation: have a nice day)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tasmod

#278 Post by tasmod »

Mick,

do you mean,

pdev1=XXX

Where XXX is drive where savefile is.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

tasmod

#279 Post by tasmod »

Lobster,

As a member of the "League against cruelty to Bugman" you have been noted.

Any more and it's 10mins simmer and then seafood sauce. :lol:
Rob
-

tasmod

#280 Post by tasmod »

Despite everything.

Otropogo,

found this:-
The bad eip value is a hardware issue. It may be a NIC problem, or a pci add-on controller issue.

The kernel panics, as it is unable to detect or use the piece of hardware correctly using the base kernel modules. Most likely it is an issue with the kernel being able to set the pci address, or PNP is set in the bios.

Sometimes there is a conflict with another slot, especially in systems that share resources between slots. You used to see this a lot with pci slots next to isa slots, where the resources were shared. Or, a pci slot next to the agp slot. Moving the pci card to another slot might solve the issue, resolving the apparent conflict.
Maybe swapping a card about may help the issue. :?

Other stuff I found said to unplug any USB device before booting and hotplug afterwards. inc. usb mouse!
Rob
-