bootloader

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
monarch4

bootloader

#1 Post by monarch4 »

I installed Puppy Wary on a Dell Dimension 3000 destop with 512 mb ram and 80 gb hard drive. There is something wrong with the hardware and the machine keep rebooting. However, I was able to install Puppy first full install followed with the Grub4dos bootloader. I installed Qimo after as a full install also. There was no question given during the process about the bootloader. Qimo was fully installed, then the computer rebooted itself. Now I can get into Puppy fine; the Grub4Dos comes up and I click on it and go, and I can see the other hard drives and Qimo is there. How can I get Grub4Dos to give an option of Qimo at startup? Also, is Ubuntu compatible with Grub4Dos? Any help will be appreciated.

ICPUG

#2 Post by ICPUG »

Not an expert on this but you might try the following:

add a new stanza in the menu.lst file for grub4dos to call up Qimo.

You presumably have Qimo on its own separate partition. These are the lines to add to menu.lst:

title Qimo4kids
root (hdX,Y)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
savedefault
boot

where X is the hard drive reference
0 = first hard drive , 1= 2nd hard drive, etc.

where Y is the partition reference
0 = first primary partition
1 = 2nd primary partition
2 = 3rd primary partition
3 = 4th primary partition
4 = 1st logical partition in an extended partition
5 = 2nd logical partition in an extended partition
etc.

Ubuntu now uses Grub2 to boot itself. It is possible to use grub legacy or grub4dos to call up grub2 booted operating systems. It is also possible to use grub2 to boot up grub legacy or grub4dos booted operating systems. You use what you prefer.

In the example above I am assuming Qimo4kids is normally booted with Grub2 like Ubuntu. If it isn't then the menu.lst lines become:

title Qimo4kids
root (hdX,Y)
chainloader +1

monarch4

solved

#3 Post by monarch4 »

Thanks for your reply. I had been reading more posts to try to figure it out before your wrote, and I found this one from Shinobar:
Regarding dual boot of Windows and Linux, say Ubuntu, it is quite simple if your PC can boot up from CD.
install Windows and Linux(es) in ANY order.
boot up Puppy Linux 4.3.1JPqs0 from its live CD with 'on RAM only' mode.
change the language to English.
follow Menu > System > Grub4DosConfig
the GUI will auto-detects Linux(es) you installed and adds menu for booting up windows.

It pretty much puts it the way you wrote it out. Thanks so much.