Wary Puppy 5.2.2, 18 Nov. 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
Argolance

#346 Post by Argolance »

Hello
@Barry
argolance,
Sorry, I wasn't clear. You and npierce were discussing a different problem, that you solved with GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS. As soon as I saw the mention of that variable, my mind went immediately to the old focus bug.
... There are always solutions, anyway!
For anyone who is interested, there is now a beta1 of the upcoming Wary 5.3 uploaded:
... Master and dog: both loyal and reliable!

Regards.

lesgov

Wary Puppy 5.2.2

#347 Post by lesgov »

I have been amazed to be able to use the live CD on an HP Pavilion 6370Z and actually get an old Realtek 8185 wireless card to work with ndiswrapper but of course the process is slow (about 7 minutes from start to browsing) so I've tried to use the save file. I have plenty of space on an old Linux partition (from Suse 6.1 days) and it all seems to go well but upon reboot it freezes at the point after searching for optical drives when I believe it is try to load the xwindow system. I have also used it on my Gateway laptop and when I use the save file reboot it looses the cursor on the monitor window so I am guessing that the save file does not properly save the Xwindow configuration. 5.2.2 often freezes when trying to load the browser so I tried 5.1.4.1 and so far no problems but it has the same issue with rebooting using the save file.

I thought maybe I could remaster the CD to at least shorten the process but after 3+ hours of looking a the window that said to wait patiently for the sfs file to be created and noting no disk or CD activity I gave up.

Thanks, keep up the good work.

npierce

Re: JWM multiple root MENUS problem with Wary/Racy 5.2

#348 Post by npierce »

Argolance,

Here is a version of ROX-Filer that I have fixed so that you can again use multiple JWM menus without any need for GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS. It works for me, but I would be grateful if you would test it to see if it works for you.

Backup your current version of /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer, and replace it with the attached file. You will need to first kill all current instances of ROX-Filer or you may get a "file busy" error. Then start rox with the usual:

Code: Select all

rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
I would be grateful to receive additional reports from anyone else who would do me the favor of testing this.

This bug can be seen even when you have only the single JWM menu that comes with Racy 5.2.2.

1. Click the right mouse button on the desktop to bring up the JWM root menu.

2. Click any mouse button on the desktop to dismiss the menu.

3. Click the left mouse button once on an icon. The application should launch. If it does not launch until you click a second time, you have this bug.

Also, you can go through steps 1 and 2 again, then try this for step 3:

3. Click the right mouse button once on an icon. The ROX-Filer menu should come up. If the JWM root menu comes up, you have this bug.

Note that, in both flavors of step 3, the bug will appear even if you click an icon in a ROX-Filer window instead of the desktop.

Here is what I think is happening:

As you may know, each icon on the ROX pinboard has an invisible window floating over it. Back before GTK/GDK 2.18, these windows were real X windows, created by the X server at the request of GDK. Now those windows are created by GDK itself and are what GDK calls "client-side windows". So now, instead of being an X window with a bunch of child X windows, the pinboard is an X window with a bunch of child client-side windows.

What's happening is that when you click the right mouse button on the "desktop", which is actually the ROX pinboard, ROX "grabs" the mouse so that future pointer events will be delivered to the ROX pinboard window, no matter where the pointer moves to. This "grab" is an automatic "passive grab" which happens in any application when a mouse button is pressed, and is automatically released when the mouse button is released.

So far, so good. But because ROX passes the button-press-event to the root window so that JWM can use it, it needs to manually ungrab the mouse. Previously ROX did this with a call to XUngrabPointer(), an Xlib function.

When ROX was using all real X windows, that was fine. When JWM was done, the next button-press-event would go to whatever X window was under the pointer. In fact, it still does. But now, the pinboard has only the one X window, so if the pinboard or any of its icons is under the pointer, the event will go to the pinboard, but not necessarily to the correct client-side child window of the pinboard. It will go to the window that grabbed the pointer in the first place -- either the pinboard window itself, or one of its client-side children.

I replaced the call to the Xlib function, XUngrabPointer(), with a call to the GDK function, gdk_display_pointer_ungrab(). This function will also tell X to release the grab, but it additionally tells GDK to release the grab so that the next button-press event will go to whatever client-side window is under the pointer, not the window that made the grab.

At least that is my best guess -- I've not looked at the GDK source to verify that.

(By the way, since antique versions of Blackbox and Fluxbox required ROX-Filer's "Blackbox root menus hack" option, to allow the right-click root menu to remain displayed until you have selected an item, and since that relates to this ungrab, I dug up an old (circa 2002) Blackbox (blackbox_0.65.0-5_i386.deb) from the Debian archives and tested it to make sure that this option still worked properly with my change. It does. Note that newer versions of Blackbox and Fluxbox, such as blackbox-0.70.1.pet and fluxbox-1.3.2.pet do not need this option.)

The attached file was compiled from the following source (which already contains Barry's patches, including the February patch for the focus bug):
http://bkhome.org/sources/alphabetical/ ... hed.tar.gz

Here is my one change to the source:

Code: Select all

diff -u old/pinboard.c new/pinboard.c
--- old/pinboard.c	2011-10-22 13:48:50.000000000 -0400
+++ new/pinboard.c	2012-03-13 08:00:47.000000000 -0400
@@ -1363,7 +1363,8 @@
 	{
 		xev.type = ButtonPress;
 		if (!o_blackbox_hack.int_value)
-			XUngrabPointer(gdk_display, event->time);
+			gdk_display_pointer_ungrab( gdk_x11_lookup_xdisplay( gdk_display ),
+										event->time ) ;
 	}
 	else
 		xev.type = ButtonRelease;
Anyway, Argolance, I hope this works for you with your three JWM menus.

Filename: ROX-Filer.gz
File description: ROX-Filer with ungrab bug fixed

Argolance

#349 Post by Argolance »

Hello npierce,
Here is a version of ROX-Filer that I have fixed so that you can again use multiple JWM menus without any need for GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS. It works for me, but I would be grateful if you would test it to see if it works for you.
Thank you so much for your work and explanation that comes with!
So, I previously installed the patched version of ROX-Filer, to be sure of the result while using your modified ROX-Filer file (I don't know exactly what is the version that comes with my Racy 5.2.8.?)
I unfortunately have to say that this doesn't run for me :(
Black desktop and windows very quickly appearing...
Rox doesn't work anymore...
xerrs.log says:
ERROR from /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun:
I cannot find an executable binary.
Trying to compile...
Trying to compile...
Trying to compile...
Trying to compile...
Trying to compile...
Trying to compile...
Is it due to any compiling error?

Cordialement.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#350 Post by BarryK »

Argolance wrote:Is it due to any compiling error?
There is nothing to compile. If you downloaded the ROX-Filer.gz provided by npierce, after ungzipping it (just click on it), be sure to set it's execute flags -- right click on it, choose "Properties" then tick the Execute checkboxes.

The downloaded ROX-Filer replaces the one at

/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer

If you did replace the original, then the most likely problem is the lack of execute permission.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Argolance

#351 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Yes, this works! I just forgot one thing: give ROX-Filer execute permission...
Thank you Barry.
There is nothing to compile.
I was meaning "any error while compiling the ROX-Filer file itself"!
...There are always solutions, anyway!
Isn't it? :wink:
Thanks to npierce who found it! :D

Cordialement.

npierce

#352 Post by npierce »

Hi Argolance,
Argolance wrote:Yes, this works!
Great!

You're welcome, and thank you for testing it. I feel better when someone besides myself has tested stuff. :)

Oh yeah, the permission bits. Sorry for not mentioning that. (Thanks, Barry, for stepping in there.)

I'm glad that I finally found the time to dig into ROX. Good luck with your next version of Toutou Linux.

James C

#353 Post by James C »

Frugal install of Wary 522 on one of my older boxes.Basics all working on initial boot.

# report-video
Calling INT 0x1A (F000:FE6E)
EAX is 0xB102
EAX is 0xB108
EAX is 0xB10A
EAX is 0xBB10D
EAX is 0xB10D
Wary Puppy, version 5.2.2 on Sat 17 Mar 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
Cirrus Logic GD 5465 [Laguna] (rev 03)
oem: Cirrus Logic GD-546X VGA

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: cirrus

X.Org version: 1.3.0
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (321x241 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#
-Computer-
Processor : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
Memory : 385MB (114MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 17 Mar 2012 03:10:39 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa GLX Indirect
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : CMI8738-SWIEC - C-Media CMI8738
-Input Devices-
Attachments
wary 522.png
(20.76 KiB) Downloaded 1766 times

npierce

rox_filer .pet and rxvt symlink (not a bug)

#354 Post by npierce »

Monsie wrote:After installing your Rox-Filer pet on my Wary desktop and re-booting, I noticed that the Console on the desktop now appears as a symlink.
Monsie,

Probably, by now, this is no longer a concern for you, since you have noticed that it works fine even though it appears as a symlink, and Barry has since verified that this won't happen when Woof builds a Puppy.

But if you retain any curiosity about why that happened, read on.

On older Puppies, like Puppy 4.3.1, clicking the "console" icon executed rxvt. On newer Puppies, including Wary 5.2.2, clicking the icon executes urxvt, a.k.a. rxvt-unicode.

The rxvt-unicode .pet was originally created to allow a user to upgrade from rxvt to urxvt. As such, the .pet has a script in it that creates a symlink from /usr/bin/rxvt to /usr/bin/urxvt, and edits the PuppyPin file for ROX so that clicking the icon executes /usr/bin/urxvt instead of /usr/bin/rxvt. (If you are unfamiliar with the PuppyPin file, it is what defines the icons on ROX's pinboard.)

Wary 5.2.2 comes with the rxvt-unicode .pet already installed, so the symlink and PuppyPin file are set up as just described.

The rox_filer .pet still comes with a PuppyPin file set up to execute rxvt, not urxvt. This is good because not all Puppies have urxvt. And it works fine when building new Puppies as well because when Woof builds a new Puppy it installs the rxvt-unicode .pet, updating PuppyPin for urxvt.

But in your case, since you installed the rox_filer .pet long after Woof installed the rxvt-unicode .pet, your PuppyPin was overwritten, and so clicking the icon executes /usr/bin/rxvt, which you have noticed is a symlink.

You may notice one difference. Even though you are still running urxvt via the symlink, X believes you are running rxvt. Because /root/.Xdefaults has resource settings for urxvt that are different from the resource settings it has for rxvt (for instance, it sets a different font), urxvt will look different. Try urxvt to see the difference. If you prefer the look of uxrvt, you can always right-click on the icon and choose "Edit item" to change "/usr/bin/rxvt" back to the original "/usr/bin/urxvt".

Of course, if you have already upgraded to Wary 5.3, none of this will be necessary. If so, feel free to use this post to line a bird cage or paper-train your puppy. :)

Monsie

#355 Post by Monsie »

Hi npierce,

I'm sorry that I did not see your reply till now. Thanks very much for your detailed explanation. 8)

At the time, I figured that something must have gotten overwritten, but I did not bother with trying to analyse the Rox-Filer pet, because Barry quickly confirmed that it worked fine with Woof, and, I knew that Wary 5.3 was going to be released soon. In the meantime, I had also determined that the symlink worked okay... but I decided to delete it anyway and in its place, I dragged the urxvt .desktop file to the screen.

Needless to say, I've since upgraded to Wary 5.3

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

ttuuxxx

#356 Post by ttuuxxx »

I updated the blue-moon icon theme now it includes 2 new icons for the drives.
ttuuxxx
Attachments
Blue-Moon-Icon-Theme-Wary-Racy.pet
(85.53 KiB) Downloaded 625 times
bluemoon.jpg
(21.2 KiB) Downloaded 1363 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Monsie

#357 Post by Monsie »

ttuuxxx,

I like the theme. I installed your pet on my Wary 5.3 system, and, I noticed that some of the sub-folders in certain directories: my-documents my-applications for example, retained the default folder image from the LaGaBluenight theme. I think I can create new sub-folders to reflect the Blue-Moon theme as a work-around, but maybe you could look into this further?

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

ttuuxxx

Re: Wary Puppy 5.2.2, 18 Nov. 2011

#358 Post by ttuuxxx »

Monsie wrote:ttuuxxx,

I like the theme. I installed your pet on my Wary 5.3 system, and, I noticed that some of the sub-folders in certain directories: my-documents my-applications for example, retained the default folder image from the LaGaBluenight theme. I think I can create new sub-folders to reflect the Blue-Moon theme as a work-around, but maybe you could look into this further?

Monsie
hi Monsie that would be roxfiler doing that. it sometimes does that when you change folder icons, usually you have to restart x, or close all open folders open a folder and go up to the top level then click the refresh or the hidden/hidden eye a few times and it should change.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Monsie

#359 Post by Monsie »

Thanks, ttuuxxx

It's all good now after a re-boot...

Monsie

npierce

Re: JWM multiple root MENUS problem with Wary/Racy 5.2

#360 Post by npierce »

Regarding the patch I posted earlier in this thread (here ROX-Filer problem after accessing WM menus (ungrab bug)), I finally remembered to send that patch upstream to the rox-devel mailing list.

Thomas Leonard applied the patch to the rox-filer.git source, so it will be no longer be necessary to add my patch to future versions of the source.

Reference: Re: [rox-devel] ROX-Filer ungrab bug

edoc

Re: Wary Puppy 5.2.2, 18 Nov. 2011

#361 Post by edoc »

Billtoo wrote:I compiled and made a sfs file of Thunderbird-10.0.2 mail reader in
racy-5.2.2.
I tested it in both racy-5.2.2 and wary-5.2.2
EDIT: It works in Saluki too.

The download link is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-165680c4.html
Might this work in Exprimo 5X15 or would it break stuff?

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603