Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 08:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Wary Puppy 5.2.2, 18 Nov. 2011
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 13 of 25 [361 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, ..., 23, 24, 25 Next
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 05:57    Post subject: Re: pupX set properties of X  

broomdodger wrote:
Wary 5.2 frugal

pupX set properties of X > Screensaver

Usually I disable the screen saver,
but just now enabled it for a short delay,
and 'blank the screen'.

It did not happen !
I tried it with no apps running.

Is it broken?

I have confirmed this. 'xset' will not blank the screen. I have no idea why. There is no error message, it just doesn't work.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 05:59    Post subject: Re: pupX set properties of X  

double post.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 06:02    Post subject: Re: InkscapeLite
Subject description: Mouse droppings...those pointy ones must hurt

Keef wrote:
As don570 said - a row of triangle like shapes appear over the ruler as the mouse is moved (following the pointer), They go if the window is resized or loses focus, but return once the mouse moves again. Some artifacts down the left hand side too, though less noticeable. Definitely following the mouse movements though.

Frugal install on a Compaq Armada M700 P3 450mhz 320mb RAM

ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)
ATI MACH64

You are reporting on InkscapeLite?

Yes, we need someone (a programmer) to take InkscapeLite on-board as their project. It needs lots of improving.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 06:04    Post subject: Re: Wary Puppy 5.2 final (October 14)
Subject description: Limit of SFS in /mnt/home

jduffy22335 wrote:
Wary Puppy 5.2 final (October 14)

It seems to have a limit of18-20 current version SFS in /mnt/home then you get the error.

I have increased the limit. There is a limit due to the way 'pupdialog' works, but I have made it higher, should be ok now for everyone.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 06:08    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
My attempt to update the multisession 5.2 beta 2 Blu-Ray to 5.2 final fell flat, pardon the alliteration. I told Burniso2cd to burn the 5.2 final iso to the multisession BD-RE disk without blanking the disk first. After Burniso2cd was done, I shut down, saving to the newly burned BD-RE disk. This has always worked with rewritable multisession DVDs. But when I rebooted, somehow it loaded the .sfs file from an earlier Puppy, one I don't remember burning onto this BD-RE. Naturally that combination didn't work very well, though it did work well enough for me to use Pburn and Burniso2cd. So I wound up blanking the BD-RE with Pburn and reburning the 5.2 final iso again with Burniso2cd. This time it worked, except of course all my settings from configuring the 5.2 beta 2 were lost.

My only complaint so far is with SeaMonkey. Web pages load slowly and scroll very jerkily. Also the CPU load indicator (on the right end of the system tray) maxes out sometimes when I have many tabs open. Then things really slow down. This hasn't happened in most other Puppys I've tried. I haven't the slightest idea what to try that might fix this.

SeaMonkey 2.3.x is incredibly big. It bothers me that I am using SM in Wary, that is intended for old hardware. I might take a fresh look at an alternative browser, even though I will have to sacrifice Composer.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 06:47    Post subject: Re: insert kills seamonkey  

Shep wrote:
rodin.s wrote:
Old bug is back. Insert key kills Seamonkey while writing a message.

Had it ever gone away? Mad Mad

My solution is to reassign the Insert key. See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69175

The best workaround would be to set it so that the Insert key does nothing except in combination, e.g., Ctrl-Insert, or Shift-Insert but the best I could manage was to set it to become a second Backspace key.

The problem is, every time that I recompile GTK, the bug comes back. The "solution" was worked out by pizzasgood, which was to have --enable-debug when configuring one of the GTK source packages (I can't recall which one right now). The downside is that it made the GTK library considerably bigger.

Hmmm, I just tried the xmodmap workaround, reassigned Insert key as BackSpace -- then started geany and Insert key worked as before!

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 07:34    Post subject:  

esmourguit wrote:
Bonjour à tous,

Live CD Wary 5.20.
lauching "remove_builtin" my pc crashes.
Only the Ctrl+Alt+Return then xwin allows me to return to desktop.

Cordialement Wink

I just now tested remove_builtin, I removed 'axel', works for me.

By the way, it is version 5.2, not 5.20.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 07:39    Post subject: Re: upgrade from 5.1.4.1 to 5.2
Subject description: wary version upgrade

upnorth wrote:
Managed to upgrade 5.1.4.1 to 5.2 but the following needed to be run manually from cli to fix breakage:

rm /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders >/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders

This is now fully functional and fast Cool

Thanks for that, I have put it into /etc/rc.d/rc.update

Shep

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 07:48    Post subject: Re: insert kills seamonkey  

BarryK wrote:
Hmmm, I just tried the xmodmap workaround, reassigned Insert key as BackSpace -- then started geany and Insert key worked as before!

It did seem to reassign, though, did it?
Code:

# xmodmap -pk |grep Insert
     90       0xff9e (KP_Insert)   0xffb0 (KP_0)   
# xmodmap -pk |grep BackSpace
     22       0xff08 (BackSpace)   0xfed5 (Terminate_Server)   
    106       0xff08 (BackSpace)

My Insert key now functions exactly as the backspace key. If I need the Insert toggle action (so chars get overwritten while typing), I tap the numeric keypad's Insert key, that key still works as normal.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 07:54    Post subject:
Subject description: radeon driver ignored in Wary-5.2

davids45 wrote:
1) as installed, both Full & Frugal tried, the /tmp directory write permissions being set by default to "off" prevent Cups from letting my fujixerox colour laser print. Changing the permissions to "write" for Group and World lets me use the printer. Thanks to rcrsn51 for his help in sorting this out for me. So this is sort-of a "Solved" or "Soluble" bug.

I thought that I had fixed this. Well, it only occurs for some people, as in live-CD and frugal installation modes, a tmpfs is mounted on /tmp, which has 777 permission (group and world writable).

...you would have the problem booting from USB, as there is no tmpfs mounted on /tmp.

I did set 777 to rootfs-skeleton/tmp (and var), but the build in sandbox3/rootfs-complete has lost that, become 755.

So, I have placed a couple of lines in the build script, 3builddistro, that changes tmp and var back to 777.

01micko

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 08:03    Post subject:
Subject description: radeon driver ignored in Wary-5.2

BarryK wrote:

I did set 777 to rootfs-skeleton/tmp (and var), but the build in sandbox3/rootfs-complete has lost that, become 755.

So, I have placed a couple of lines in the build script, 3builddistro, that changes tmp and var back to 777.

Would it be better in /etc/rc.d/rc.update? Full installs suffer the 755 permissions on /tmp too.

linuxcbon

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 10:09    Post subject:  

remove_builtin is too slow when scrolling down. Bad.
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 10:18    Post subject:  

puppyinstaller
Code:
dc: syntax error at '596.2'
dc: syntax error at '8.204'
Updating /etc/networkmodules...
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module acx
otropogo

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 13:25    Post subject: Re: Wary desktop black, no icons, wallpaper, no ROX  

Terryphi wrote:

The problem you describe has been seen when using a savefile from a previous version of Wary. If you are using a previous savefile then this solution worked for me:

From the terminal run these two commands:

rm /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders >/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders

When you reboot all should be as expected.

Willing to try your suggestion, but I'd point out that this is the first time I've ever booted Wary, so there can't be any previous Wary savefile on the system. There are, however, various save files from Puppy 4.3.1, lupu, and Slacko.

I should mention also that when Wary invited me to select up to 6 sfs files to load at boot up, only one appeared in the selection window, and that was the puppy_slacko_5.29.6.sfs. I found this worrysome and just closed the window. I don't understand how one OS can load another one at bootup.

And just now I looked in the Warypets folder created by Wary on my hard drive, and found there a screen save of the Video Driver Upgrade Wizard open on the desktop. I hadn't taken time to read it, and closed it without using it.

It says:

Quote:
your computer has a 82865G Integrated graphics controller.

Which is true. However, I also have an ATI X1550 display adapter installed in the AGP slot. And my understanding is that insertion of the adapter disables the on-board chip...

Quote:
X is currently using the intel driver for this chip

That's probably not good, and may explain some of my configuration and display problems...

I'm also puzzled by the "save session" window that appears in the same screensave.

It describes the procedure for creating a save file at shutdown. However, Wary surprised me by automatically creating a save file during installation, selecting a host partition (sdb2, a fat32 partition), creating a folder on it (warypets) and then choosing a savefile size (which almost immediately proved too small), file format, and name (warysave-SD5.3fs) without giving me any say.

And, of course, there was no option to create a save file at shutdown, since it had already been created. Could any of the above explain the issues described?

linuxcbon

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011, 16:55    Post subject:  

- Xresources can be replaced by Xdefaults.

xinitrc
- lines 18-19-20 variables dont exist.
- line 52 autocutsel doesnt exist
- line 59 /usr/local/bin/agenda_chk doesnt exist
- line 62 /etc/xrandrindex doesnt exist
- line 138 /usr/bin/absvolume doesnt exist
- line 149 /usr/bin/fbpanel: No such file or directory
Page 13 of 25 [361 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, ..., 23, 24, 25 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: