[SOLVED] Problems with setting date and time

Booting, installing, newbie
kpfuser

[SOLVED] Problems with setting date and time

#1 Post by kpfuser »

Running ISpup-Q120 from a live CD leads to the following problem:

After starting, the system displays the correct date but displayed time is 1 h ahead of actual time. I corrected the displayed time using Menu/Settings/Date and Time set and got a popup under the title "Info" stating

Finished. Time was set to Sun Oct 2 HH:MM:SS CDT 2011

Now the displayed date and time were correct but CDT is not the correct time zone. Using Menu/Settings/Set Timezone, I set my time zone to GMT+2. Then I set date and time again. This time I got

Finished. Time was set to Sun Oct 2 HH:MM:SS GMT-2 2011

Can anyone explain why such a seemingly simple matter is going so badly wrong?
Last edited by kpfuser on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Peterm321

#2 Post by Peterm321 »

When I changed my timezone from the menu it did not affect the time, I then changed the timezone back to what it should be and the time was unaffected. I would have thought the timezone was a related but separate value that is used for example in email where confusion might arise when communicating across timezones.

kpfuser

#3 Post by kpfuser »

Peterm321 wrote:When I changed my timezone from the menu it did not affect the time, I then changed the timezone back to what it should be and the time was unaffected.
This is what happened in my case as well. This can be seen as another indication that things are not going well.
I would have thought the timezone was a related but separate value that is used for example in email where confusion might arise when communicating across timezones.
This may very well be the case but the question is whether we can set it correctly and get it to display as such.

Addendum: I ran an older Puppy (NOP 4.1.2) live CD. The problem mentioned here exists in the older version as well. Could it be that the. functions of setting Date & Time as well as Time Zone never worked properly in any version of Puppy and the problem escaped attention all along? I would appreciate it if readers of this let me know if they are able to get the correct date, time, and time zone displaying together.

rhadon

#4 Post by rhadon »

Since I use country/town instead of GMT+-, and local instead of utc, I've never had any problems with time. Although sometimes I have no time, but that's another story :lol: .

HTH
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

kpfuser

#5 Post by kpfuser »

rhadon,

Can you explain in some detail how you set date & time your way?

rhadon

#6 Post by rhadon »

I don't know ISpup-Q120, but it should be similar.

Setting my timezone, I can choose GMT+1,2,3... or GMT-1,2,3... or e.g. Europe/Berlin. For you it should be Europe/Athen, I think. That's what I meant.

HTH
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

kpfuser

#7 Post by kpfuser »

rhadon wrote:I don't know ISpup-Q120, but it should be similar.
Well, identical is actually the case, as it should be.
Setting my timezone, I can choose GMT+1,2,3... or GMT-1,2,3... or e.g. Europe/Berlin. For you it should be Europe/Athen, I think. That's what I meant.

HTH
Rolf
Well well well!!! Setting my time zone as Europe/Athens, works just fine! Setting it as GMT+2 works like sh!!!t (sche!!!e for your time zone Rolf). Why it should be so, remains for the Puppy illuminati to ponder and, hopefully, fix. I will do my level best and report it as a bug. Meanwhile, I thank you sincerely Rolf for pointing out the solution to this simple yet so irritating problem.