How to remaster lupu 5.2.8 with different splash screen?

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
oldyeller

How to remaster lupu 5.2.8 with different splash screen?

#1 Post by oldyeller »

Hello, I am new to puppy but not to linux. I can do a simple remaster which I have already done,

But I would like to replace the splash pic when it boots to my own and replace the one after that says welcome to lupu 5.2.8. with my won screen and to have it close when they click the ok need to add this also?

Would also like to edit the menu list not sure where to find it though. I have already looked through puppies files and read some of the Read-me files that I saw. Have no problem learning code just need to know how to do things to get me started with this project of mine.

Thanks, oldyeller

Tman

#2 Post by Tman »

I would try the well-minded puppy search: http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
Search for 'edit puppy splash screen'. Good luck with your new puplet!

oldyeller

splash screen

#3 Post by oldyeller »

Thanks that was very helpful

sheepy

#4 Post by sheepy »

If you're referring to the boot splash screen, you need to replace logo.16 in the ISO with your own. Simply create an image using the PPM format (it must be indexed to around 10-30 colors, otherwise it will look terrible). After that, convert it to an lss16 image format by opening a terminal and running ppmtolss16 and specifying the image and the output .16 image. Then just use a typical ISO editor like ISO Master and replace it. There you go, custom splash screen.

FreQ

#5 Post by FreQ »

Hi there!

I think if was part of oldyeller's first post if i understand him correctly, so i thought i'd jump onboard

It's working very fine for the boot splash image (logo.16), thank you so much for your help/tutorial Sheepy!

What about if you want to modify the pop-up window at first boot that says "Welcome to Puppy 528" when the dog barks and language/time/xsettings come up?
Is there any way to customize image/text/sound? At Woof level i guess but that's still a bit early for me

Tbh i'm fine with default ones for everyday use remasters, but let's say you wanna offer a special Puppy to a special someone that says something very special ... ;)

Cheers guys !

TLM

#6 Post by TLM »

FreQ wrote:Hi there!

I think if was part of oldyeller's first post if i understand him correctly, so i thought i'd jump onboard

It's working very fine for the boot splash image (logo.16), thank you so much for your help/tutorial Sheepy!

What about if you want to modify the pop-up window at first boot that says "Welcome to Puppy 528" when the dog barks and language/time/xsettings come up?
Is there any way to customize image/text/sound? At Woof level i guess but that's still a bit early for me

Tbh i'm fine with default ones for everyday use remasters, but let's say you wanna offer a special Puppy to a special someone that says something very special ... ;)

Cheers guys !
To get a custom sound, you need to place your desired sound file in /usr/share/audio

Then you need to go to usr/sbin and locate the files countrywizard and countrywizard.qs. Open them with a text editor and edit lines 22 and 23 with the name of your preferred sound file. If you need to convert your sound to .au format, use pawdio audio converter available in the Puppy Pkg. Manager.

FreQ

#7 Post by FreQ »

Thanks TLM, gonna try that soon!
What about this popup? Any way to customize that as well?
Attachments
Welcome to Lucid.jpg
(29.34 KiB) Downloaded 1028 times

oldyeller

post subject

#8 Post by oldyeller »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 152#587152

This is a post to get the loss tools for lupu 528 to change the boot screen use RSH pet for this.

Tman

#9 Post by Tman »

FreqQ,

you need to edit the DISTRO_NAME field in the file named /etc/DISTRO_SPECS.

You shouldn't edit the other fields, unless you know how to hack initrd.

FreQ

#10 Post by FreQ »

Cheers mate, i had forgotten about that part, but i shall look into it more soon

RSH

#11 Post by RSH »

FreQ wrote:Thanks TLM, gonna try that soon!
What about this popup? Any way to customize that as well?
If you want to customize this:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... eddfe4f233
you have to edit file /usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs. The Section of the Welcome Message is at about line 123 (LazY Puppy)

Code: Select all

if [ "$MYBASE" = "firstrun" ];then #110827 begin
 WELCOME=""
 [ "$HAS_JPFONT" ] && WELCOME="???????????????"
 [ "$HAS_ZHFONT" ] && WELCOME="???????????? ?????? ?????? ??????"
 [ "$HAS_UNIFONT" ] && WELCOME="Bienvenue! Willkommen!\n???????????? ?????? ?????? ??????\n?????????? ????????????????????!"
 #WELCOMEMSG="???????????????\nWelcome to Multilingual Puppy!"
 WELCOMEMSG=$(printf "$(gettext 'Welcome to %s!')" "$DISTRO_NAME")
 #[ "$WELCOME" ] && WELCOMEMSG="$WELCOME\n$WELCOMEMSG"
 # welcome splash
 export DIALOG="<window title="$TITLE" $TITLEICON><hbox>
<pixmap><input file>$LARGELOGO</input></pixmap>
<text><input>echo -en "$WELCOME\n$WELCOMEMSG"</input></text>
</hbox></window>"
 gtkdialog3 -p DIALOG -c >/dev/null &
 XPID=$!
"$MYBASE" = "firstrun" means: the pupup is only shown at first start of countrywizard.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

slackfan

no localisation, no invite to create save file

#12 Post by slackfan »

I am a question in about the same or comparable order:

I use also a version of lupu 5.2.8, but the wonderful English/Spanish version of Josep2424 with KDE 4 integrated (wonderful because really fast as well as good integrated, for ex. Dolphin. Konqueror works but divers little details need to be better, for ex. management of fonts etc.).

see picture!

And I did remaster it so, that I have

- a lot of goodies in my KDE favorites, especially more browsers (Links2 managing SSL for my emails, Midori static to save web pages as Midori saves all pictures and text in one unique document without annexed subdirectory, and Seamonkey with addon for search machine duckduckgo in SSL mode and not Google any more as well as a lot of dictionaries, mTpaint image for screen snapshots and retrovol for fast access of both, as it is to long to use them without, etc.)

and

- a script named go on my KDE 4 Desktop folder so I can immediately after starting Lupu with KDE start or not start (if I am in the hurry and only will copy a file on a USB drive etc.) divers things needing a certain time to enter in action (actually following things:
#!/bin/sh
skype &
ln -s /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2/ /mnt/home
ayttm &
seamonkey2 &
)

so is my system very flexible.

And I don't use some save file at all, as I don't want that my self defined default values can be modified at all through my working with the system :idea: : each new start is fresh with those minimal default values and I am shure about full discretion (credit card no., internet banking ressources etc.; after working on that field, I always restart immediately and Puppy forget absolutely sure all things...) :wink: - no hidden personal files or directories from the last or more older sessions! the same discretion as in the old puppy versions 1.0n :lol: disappeared from the use of save files. Documents beeing to be saved can be saved consciously / knowingly from the adequate client (Seamonkey writer, Abiword, mTpaint etc.) into the adequate subdirectories usually managed by Puppy.

So I never need some localisation or invite to create a save file! More:

I will avoid unintentionally creating of a save file!

So is my question:

How to remaster lupu 5.2.8 without both invitations at start and at shutting down Puppy?
Attachments
lupu528kde.jpg
(82.32 KiB) Downloaded 518 times

rerwin

#13 Post by rerwin »

slackfan,
Playdayz passed along this message from you:
slackfan wrote:Hi

I suppose you are one of the best partner to ask for hints to remaster lupu 528 whitout welcome, person. settings window or invitation to create a save file:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 582#613582

can you help me with adequate recommendations?

kind regards
I have what you need except for omitting the splash screen. You need lupu528-002 or 004, which I assume you are using. But you also need to install the package, lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-7 from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 173#595173

Be sure to keep a backup of your current setup, in case you find something you don't like in the patch, which has many fixes. With the patch installed, you will have an updated remaster script that will do what you want, if you take certain actions not mentioned in the remaster process. This functionality was requested by someone who does exactly what you plan, although I consider it experimental.

When the remaster process asks if you want to modify the /tmp/etc and /tmp/root directories, instead of modifying them, remove the /tmp/etc and /tmp/root directories entirely and copy your current versions of the /etc and /root directories into /tmp (doing each only when allowed to modify them). Then continue with the remaster process. The resultant remaster should be usable as a boot CD that does not ask to save anything.

Regarding the splash screen: I do not know how to get rid of it, but trust you can live with it. It should delay startup only by 5 seconds. Please post here if you have any problems with this process. I may have to refer you to whomever it was that wanted the capability.
Richard

sheepy

#14 Post by sheepy »

FreQ wrote:Hi there!

Cheers guys !
Ohhhh! Alright, no problem. To do that, simply:
1. Open /usr/bin/firstrun in a text editor
2. Go to line 89 where it says

Code: Select all

LARGELOGO="/usr/share/doc/puppylogo96.png"
3. Either specify a different image file or replace the image file at /usr/share/doc/puppylogo96.png with whatever you want.

To change the audio:
1. Replace /usr/share/audio/2barks.au with whatever audio file you desire.
2. Replace /usr/share/audio/2barks.wav with whatever audio file you desire.

Have fun! ^_^