Puppy 4.31 as wireless gateway

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tempestuous

#16 Post by tempestuous »

sindi wrote:my aironet PC4800 (airo_cs) pcmcia card ...
is not recognized by puppy 4, I found that someone got it working with Puppy 1
Puppy 4.x definitely contains the airo_cs driver, and should work fine with your PCMCIA card -
I suspect you just need to reset the PCMCIA interface. See the updated part of this post with the heading "EDIT: July 2008" -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1707#31707

sindi

aironet fix; puppy 1.07

#17 Post by sindi »

Thanks for the link to getting aironet working. I did try insert airo_cs but the card was not found. I will try 'eject' and insert. The same fix may work for an equally old oronoco card (this one pulled from a d-link router) found by an older linux but not by puppy. Both cards have large external antennas which should pick up weak signals better.

Where can I find Puppy 1.07, with kernel 2.4.29 (for use with ipchains) and OSS sound (easier to use with Crystal 4236 sound chips in my 1997-98 Thinkpads, and for a 300Mhz Winbook where OSS sound works and ALSA does not). Older laptops make nice internet radios and often even have volume knobs.

The link for isos of puppy 1, to puppy-foundation.com, is broken (domain for sale). The official site offers 2.16 and 2.17.

sindi

pccardctl fix did not work for aironet or orinoco cards

#18 Post by sindi »

aironet PC4800 - identified by cardctl in an older linux (but pcmcia utility did not load the module so the card is not usable); puppy network wizard cannot find it; pccardctl status 'no card', ident 'no info', eject, insert, same results.

orinoco card - cardctl and pccardctl identify it 0xd601 x0500; Older linux loads the module and the card works. Puppy's network wizard can't find it and when I manually load it no new interface is found. eject/insert no help.

A regular pcmcia orinoco-based card (pulled out of an Apple router) works as expected in Puppy (found automatically, goes online).

tempestuous

#19 Post by tempestuous »

sindi wrote:orinoco card - cardctl and pccardctl identify it 0xd601 0x0500
That's quite an obscure device ID. Puppy won't recognise that.

sindi wrote:aironet PC4800 ...
pccardctl status 'no card', ident 'no info', eject, insert, same results.
I have a suspicion this may be a bios issue - have a look in bios and see if there are any settings relating to "PCMCIA" or "Cardbus". These settings may not be obvious or even intuitive - you may see something like "Auto". Change the bios setting, and see if that helps.
Also look for a bios setting "PnP OS = YES/NO" - make sure it's set to "NO".

sindi

aironet, orinoco, and ipchains

#20 Post by sindi »

First, the old pcmcia cards

1) aironet card - probably dead. XP recognized it and had the drivers but, assuming they loaded, could not find any networks. Basiclinux (circa 2000) identifed card but would not load driver. Puppy may have been the most intelligent, refusing to even recognize it.

2) orinoco card . Works perfectly in basiclinux. Recognized by XP, a bit complicated to load drivers (control panel insisted I was already doing what I tried to do) but a friend tested it working. Puppy identifies but won't bring up new interface on two unrelated computers and this computer has no way to turn off pnp. I could try booting pnpbios=off. Don't know why a WAVELAN Silver orinoco works fine in all OSes (XP even has and automatically loads the driver, same driver).

The 0d601 0x0500 chip is mentioned in lots of posts by people who could not get it to work. All I needed was to add it to the (very old) pcmcia config file as taking orinoco_cs and hermes modules. (Or use a standard config file where it was already concluded)Works with kernel 2.4.

This is all irrelevant since orinico does WEP not WPA2 which is what I need to use the neighbors' signal. Only cardbus cards do WPA2 and the author of basiclinux refused to support cardbus since his laptops were not new enough to accept such cards.

Back to puppy with a cardbus-WPA2 card (2005). I found at puppylinux.ca/vintage all the puppies from 0.4 to 4.3.2 (official) and downloaded 1.07 and 1.04-barebones (60MB) to try with ipchains and OSS sound. Also Turbopup Extreme (runs in 10MB RAM full installation) in case I figure out iptables. But since my slowest (866MHz) laptop with internal wireless (picks up weak signals) has 512MB RAM, I can waste memory.

Is there some bootloader that can be installed from XP to boot puppy frugally? Full installation would require shrinking XP to make a linux partition - with frugal puppy?
I could put the hard in another computer to shrink NTFS and make fat32 and ext2 partitions. (I like booting with loadlin from fat32).

Ibidem

Re: aironet, orinoco, and ipchains

#21 Post by Ibidem »

sindi wrote: Is there some bootloader that can be installed from XP to boot puppy frugally? Full installation would require shrinking XP to make a linux partition - with frugal puppy?
I could put the hard in another computer to shrink NTFS and make fat32 and ext2 partitions. (I like booting with loadlin from fat32).
That's grub4dos.
One howto would be the one at http://puppy.b0x.me/lin-n-win; another with more current download information is http://puppylinux.org/wikka/GRUBforDOS. (I suggest grub4dos-chenall, since that's the only active project.)

By the way: if you change the permissions of ntldr.ini, MAKE SURE YOU SET THEM BACK TO READONLY/SYSTEM. If I remember right, failing to do so can result in a failure to boot.

sindi

grub4dos and puppy 1.0.7

#22 Post by sindi »

I have not used GRUB at all and have no idea how to change permissions of ntldr.ini Do you change them with DOS attrib or with lynx chmod?

I booted Puppy 1.0.7 from CD (loadlin and the CD itself can't find the main fs file on the hard drive). It has a 2.4 kernel but iptables and not ipchains, and it supports aironet and orinoco (and variants) but not my 2005 cardbus wireless card that does WPA2.
fdlinux has the same shortcomings - the version with wireless support dropped ipchains and has only those two drivers or older variants.

So I got turbopup, which boots into 30MB memory (frugal) and has iptables.
Once iptables works I will learn grub. Do I understand correctly that downloading vmlinuz, initrd.gz, and the .sfs file to NTFS partition and installing grub4dos will do a frugal boot of puppy?

I may experiment on a freshly installed MicroXP on some other computer so I can practice messing up XP there with grub4dos.

A friend suggested purchasing a manufactured bridge. Not educational.

As you probably guessed I am not a software professional. I am a translator and am used to reading and writing about things I don't understand. One day landmines or DNA sequencing, next day NAT and MASQ.

sindi

linksys router with open-wrt as bridge

#23 Post by sindi »

The orinoco card not found by Puppy seems to have stopped working.
Puppy has now refused to load modules for two non-working cards.

Today I got the Linksys router > wireless bridge working at home using Puppy and Opera 10. (Opera 9 would not work for the purpose). Whatever went wrong before was probably something the neighbors did to the router (plugged into a cable that we ran underground to their basement and then upstairs) when it was in their living room (unplug to vacuum, or when comcast comes).

I will use it on my windowsill instead and maybe make a cantenna.

It would still be educational to set up a wireless gateway or bridge with a linux laptop. I will try some other forum for help with iptables.

sindi

puppy 4.1.2 as gateway using iptables - solved

#24 Post by sindi »

I pieced together the puzzle using information from other sites:

1. Wireless router (IP 192.0.2.1, old Intel 802.11b with serial port) connected to
ATA (analog telephone adaptor serving as router, IP 192.168.2.1) connected to AT&T
DSL modem (192.168.0.1).

2. Gateway computer

THINKPAD 560X (no onboard ethernet, 233MHz, 160MB, 4GB hard drive) (Could use just
about anything with turbopup full install - 10MB RAM,but I need cardbus support for
wifi - 200MHz or faster).

The first card inserted, or the bottom card if both are
inserted before boot, is eth0 and the second is eth1 unless
one is wlan0 or ath0. (Edited to make things clearer than
mud).

Set up wireless connection to internet:
modprobe orinoco_cs
ifconfig eth1 192.0.2.2
route add default gw 192.0.2.1

Edit /etc/resolv.conf and add:

nameserver 192.168.0.1 (our DSL modem)
nameserver 8.8.8.8 (google server, as backup)
and/or IP of your router (we have two)
dhcp assigns 192.168.0.1

Or use the network wizard for all the above and to set the
WEP or WPA(2) key.

Manually set up the wired ethernet card connecting the
gateway to the client computer. (I don't know an
automated way.)

modprobe pcnet_cs
ifconfig eth0 192.168.3.1

(any X.X.X.1 not already in use)

3. Client computer - connect via ethernet cable to gateway

DELL D600 (targa wired ethernet)
modprobe tg3
ifconfig eth0 192.168.3.2
route add default gw 192.168.3.1

ping 192.168.3.1 - checkS for working connection to gateway computer
On gateway computer (before or after all the above) type:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
(wireless - may be wlan0 or ath0) (or MASQ?)
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
(wired)

(Don't know if the sequence above can be reversed.)
At some point enable forwarding:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

This can be added to /etc/sysctl.conf as the line
net.ipv4.ip_forward=1,
or make a 'forward' script with two iptables lines
and one echo line and put it in rc.local.

I am typing this from a 1999 basiclinux plugged via
ethernet into the 233Mhz puppy linux machine, with lynx.

Thanks to all for enough clues to find the missing pieces.
Last edited by sindi on Mon 10 Feb 2014, 20:10, edited 2 times in total.

mikeb

#25 Post by mikeb »

Yes it is a jigsaw puzzle and even harder when its someone else's puzzle that's not in front of you :D

Well persistence is a virtue and glad you are back in business

mike

sindi

crossover cable used with older wireless gateway

#26 Post by sindi »

The gateway setup worked with a 'newer' (900MHz?) linux laptop as gateway and a regular ethernet cable
but then not with a 233MHz gateway until I changed to a red crossover cable. I can even access the
wireless gateway now with XP (network connections, LAN, properties, TCP/IP, set IP number, gateway,
and DNS servers manually as in linux). Puppy 1.07 also has iptables (with kernel 2.4) but does not seem
to support the 'newer' cardbus cards that do WPA2. Anyone know what version of puppy first supported
Intel Wireless 2000 (ipw2000) from 2005 (when WPA2 was first used)? Puppy 4.12 does. Wow, does a 233MHz
computer run linux quickly compared to a 133MHz that I using as client!

I used to run non-graphical programs on a pentium and access them from a 486 with dropbear (ssh server
and client), which I don't see here in pulp 4.1.2. I did find xhost, used to control graphical programs
on a host (server?) computer from a client computer. It even worked over a connection to sdf's BSD
shell account (which has graphical programs that you cannot access by ordinary ssh or telnet) but really
slowly. It should be possible to run Opera (linked to internet) on the 233MHz and display and control
it from the 133Mhz, just for fun, with xhost.

tempestuous

#27 Post by tempestuous »

sindi wrote:Anyone know what version of puppy first supported Intel Wireless 2000 (ipw2000) from 2005 (when WPA2 was first used)?
The Intel PRO/Wireless IPW2100/2200 was officially supported from the introduction of the 2.6 kernel in 2005,
and thus from Puppy Linux ver 2.0.

... but there was a version of the sourcecode which was backported to be compatible with the 2.4 kernel, and I compiled these drivers for the 2.4.29 kernel in Puppy v1.0.4 - v1.0.9. Available here -
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/drivers-for-Puppy-1/

You will need to determine whether your wifi card is IPW2100 or IPW2200. Download and refer to the associated README file - for installation instructions - but ignore the configuration instructions!
Since you are using WPA, you also need to install wpa_supplicant, from here -
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/wireless-utilities/
then refer to its associated README file for configuration of your IPW2xxx device. This will be via manual commands - there was no automated wifi network wizard back with the Puppy 1.x series.
Here's a tip - your main command (prior to dhcpcd) will be -

Code: Select all

wpa_supplicant -i eth1 -D ipw -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd

sindi

Pupply 1.07 as wireless gateway with WPA2 (ipw2200)

#28 Post by sindi »

I have ipw2200 - as identified by puppy 4 network wizard, also the card is clearly to labelled Intel Pro Wireless 2200.

Thanks for steering me to all the wifi drivers for puppy 1, which I like but did not think would work for this project. Where do I find dotpups? Package manager failed to download them.

I actually burned 1.07 to CD two days ago for use on a 1996 Omnibook 5500CT where Puppy 4 (turbopup) refused to see any pcmcia cards but easily set up the ALSA sound. Puppy 1.07 has OSS sound, which I set up manually, using the settings (IRQ etc) from puppy 4. The kernel 2.4 pcmcia found all my non-cardbus pcmcia cards.

I was thinking of using for the wireless gateway Turbopup (4.1.2) exe (installs itself in a windows partition) added to an NTFS XP computer, but will try 1.07 first for an education about WPA supplicant . This will also make me learn grub. I can't get puppy 1 or 2 to boot with loadlin or lilo and that laptop has no CD-ROM. The Omnibook boots puppy 1 rather slowly from CD-ROM using Smart Boot Manager - grub would be faster.

I don't think I need xhost to use programs on another computer on my local network, but rather to export DISPLAY. Unrelated to this topic.

I appreciate all the suggestions and help. Learning a lot.

tempestuous

#29 Post by tempestuous »

sindi wrote:Thanks for steering me to all the wifi drivers for puppy 1, which I like but did not think would work for this project.
Just to be clear - the 2.4.29 kernel in Puppy 1.0.4-1.0.9 fully supports cardbus devices. Any failure to recognise a cardbus device will be due to a missing driver, or the existing drivers being too old.
The ipw2100/ipw2200 drivers, along with most of the other wifi drivers I contributed for the 2.4.29 kernel, have been tested successfully.

sindi wrote:Where do I find dotpups? Package manager failed to download them.
My dotpups (and dotpets) are unofficial, and are not located in the official Puppy Linux download sites.
But I don't think there was ever an official package manager for the 1.x series, anyway. I could be wrong.

sindi wrote:I can't get puppy 1 or 2 to boot with loadlin or lilo and that laptop has no CD-ROM.
Connect an external CDROM via USB, then boot to this CDROM via floppy using "Wakepup" -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3875

And I can answer one of your older questions:
sindi wrote:Do I understand correctly that downloading vmlinuz, initrd.gz, and the .sfs file to NTFS partition and installing grub4dos will do a frugal boot of puppy?
Yes, but there are 2 configuration steps as well -
i) boot to windows, and open the grub configuration file, menu.lst, in Notepad. This defines how grub will boot Puppy.
ii) open C:\boot.ini in Notepad and add an extra line, which allows the Windows bootloader to chainload Grub -

Code: Select all

C:\grldr="Puppy Linux"
This assumes, of course, that you have "grldr" (the main grub2dos file) located at C:\
If you wish to locate it elsewhere, modify accordingly.
The next time you boot Windows, you will see an additional boot option labelled "Puppy Linux".

And be aware that you are booting Puppy from an NTFS filesystem. That's fine, everything is read-only ...
until you wish to shut down and create a savefile. At this point you will be writing to NTFS. Puppy may refuse to do so, if it diagnoses the NTFS filesystem as "unclean". To avoid this possibility, prior to installing Puppy, boot to Windows and defragment the C drive.

sindi

Puppy 1.07 as wireless gateway with WPA2

#30 Post by sindi »

There are a lot of dotpups for puppy 1 and two at the German site where your wifi drivers are -
gimp, firefox 1.5 and 2, etc. There is an official pupget aimed at ibiblio and nluug but nothing downloads.
It takes a few minutes for pupget to appear onscreen at 133MHz.

The DELL C400 boots only from hard drive or the PROPRIETARY floppy or cdrom drive, which I do not have and do not want to
buy. I therefore cannot boot from a wakepup boot floppy (in USB floppy drive) to access the USB CD-ROM drive, though I
do have a powered hub so despite having only one USB port can plug in floppy and cdrom drives and usb keyboard (the
onboard keyboard is not usable). The C400 was apparently designed this way so people would be forced to buy their
external drives from DELL. Or a docking station.

I can download sfs vmlinuz initrd.gz (or usr_cram.sfs) and grub4dos via ethernet (LAN or internet) or CD.

I have dual-booted Windows 2K or XP with lilo by adding a line to boot.ini. It is much easier with FAT32 Windows - just
edit boot.ini with DOS. I will learn to edit menu.lst to boot to XP, DOS or puppy (or puppies). If I start with
turbopup.exe and I can examine the results. The automatic setup just causes problems.

Puppy 1, at least when booted from live CD, insists on making pup100 256MB in hda1 - can it do that in NTFS? If not, can
Windows shrink itself and create an ext2 or even FAT32 partition? I can install turbopup first (exe) - can I then use
gparted to shrink NTFS partition? I would rather not mess up XP since I might want it for something some day and it
cannot be reinstalled by putting the drive in another computer.

Do I need wpa_supplicant if I assign IP addresses manually? Can I just type the WPA2 key into some file?

I am about to test the netbook (arch linux) as wireless gateway to use temporarily while working on the C400.

tempestuous

#31 Post by tempestuous »

sindi wrote:Puppy 1, at least when booted from live CD, insists on making pup100 256MB in hda1 - can it do that in NTFS?
Oops, I just remembered - no!
Puppy1's NTFS-write function was not good enough at that stage to reliably create a savefile on an NTFS filesystem ...
... however, there's a clever workaround -
copy a pre-made savefile into place, then Puppy1 can safely re-write this file each time it needs to.
Pre-made savefiles for Puppy1 are available here -
http://dotpups.de/files/pup001-different-sizes/

Having said this, I personally dislike the idea of doing a frugal installation onto NTFS.
My preference would be to use a third-party partitioning tool under Windows XP to shrink the existing partition, then create an ext3 partition plus Linux-swap partition for Puppy.
sindi wrote:Do I need wpa_supplicant if I assign IP addresses manually?
Yes. The IP address is assigned after wpa_supplicant has negotiated a wifi connection.
sindi wrote:Can I just type the WPA2 key into some file?
Yes, /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
- read the instructions -
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/wireless ... README.txt

sindi

puppy 1 dual-booted with XP or arch linux

#32 Post by sindi »

I ran live CD Puppy 1.07 on another computer (with Smart Boot Manager to permit boot from CD) and it automatically creates a pup100
about 256MB which I can transfer to another computer via LAN or with a PCMCIA USB card (PS/2 powered). I would just need to change
resolution (assuming Xvesa works) or run xorgwizard, and set up sound with a line in rc.local (OSS sound - insmod module irq=.....)
I have been moving puppy 4 save files between computers like this.

What utility can XP use to shrink itself while running and make an ext2 partition to use for linux (and ideally also a FAT32 partition
for DOS that lets me play with loadlin)? If I put the hard drive in another computer would gparted or PQMagic safely shrink NTFS?
I normally stay away from anything with NTFS on it. Or replace XP with MicroXP but that does not usually work with wifi.

I could format my 128MB USB flash drive to FAT32 and learn to make a pup100 save file for use on NTFS hard drive, or get a larger
flash drive and run puppy from that. .

Or:

Another option is to dual-boot puppy on the 2007-Arch-Linux netbook.

Today the netbook got the the neighbors' signal quite strongly during extremely wet weather (6" wet snow plus sleet plus rain) -
38% instead of as little as 15%. It has no iptables. pacman was too old to find a repository automatically. I downloaded
iptables package and pacman -U was supposed to install it but kept looking for a repository instead. Every thing I do on that
computer except email requires typing sudo first. I don't want to mess up our only internet connection at that address by replacing
arch (which loses its sound and needs frequent reboots to get it back) with puppy for eeepc on the SSD (20GB) but could boot puppy
from USB flash drive or SD card reader (built-into the netbook as hdc1). I assume a 2007 netbook will boot from anything USB
(floppy, CD, SD card) though a 2002 laptop would not.

I have a 64MB SD card which should hold onebone 2.10 (29MB), or barebones 1.04 (40MB) or 2.01 (47MB). The save file can go on the
20GB ext2 SSD drive to hold any missing pieces such as wifi drivers and iptables and sound modules. Which would work best?

tempestuous

#33 Post by tempestuous »

sindi wrote:What utility can XP use to shrink itself while running
If I put the hard drive in another computer would gparted or PQMagic safely shrink NTFS?
Yes, PowerQuest Partition Magic is the best-known, and well-regarded. It can be done from within a running XP installation.
GParted ... yes ... it can be used - there are some notes here
http://gparted.org/faq.php#faq-7
But I would be nervous about using GParted. It doesn't appear to be 100% reliable.

The safest and best way to achieve a multi-partition scheme is to do a fresh install of Windows XP. Yes, it's extra effort, but probably worthwhile.
During the early stage of setup, you have the option to re-partition and re-format the hard drive with NTFS. The default option is to use the entire drive space for a single partition - choose NO, then define a smaller size.
Once XP is fully installed, you will have unallocated/unpartitioned space at the end of your drive. Now use GParted to create 2 new partitions in the unallocated space, and format them as ext3 and Linux-swap.

sindi wrote:I could format my 128MB USB flash drive to FAT32 and learn to make a pup100 save file for use on NTFS hard drive, or get a larger flash drive and run puppy from that..
Yes, having your pupsave file on a FAT32 USB stick is a good idea, but I think you're making it sound more complicated than it needs to be.
A "pre-made" pupsave file is only necessary for NTFS. It's not necessary for FAT32. Just boot your Puppy-frugal install from NTFS, then when shutting down for the first time, select the USB drive to save to. Your pup100 file is freshly created onto a FAT32 filesystem.

sindi

Can't easily reinstall XP to get ext2 partition

#34 Post by sindi »

The 'obvious' solution is to redo XP but:

The computer cannot boot from CD-ROM (unless I buy a proprietary CD-ROM drive).
One solution is to put the drive in another computer, make a FAT32 partition
with DOS, use DOS to copy Win98 files to FAT32 partition.

Replace the drive in C400, boot to DOS, use DOS to install Win98 (setup.exe).
Buy a Win98 > XP upgrade CD and install it using Win98 with USB CD-ROM drive
(having with great good luck found a driver for your drive).

Therefore I don't want to mess up XP on this computer. MicroXP may install
but wireless has only worked on one laptop (orinoco). Orinoco does not do
WPA2. There is half a chance I could get XP to do network bridge.
I would prefer to add puppy linux instead.

Puppy 1 will try to make a 256MB pup100 on hda1 unless I give it one I have.
Puppy 2 should save to a flash drive. I have a 128MB drive that would hold
a small puppy (up to 64MB) plus 64MB save file.

Possible small puppies:

pUPnGO (4.12 based) 6MB - would need to add a lot
Onebone 2.10 (29MB)
Barebones 1.04 (39MB), 2.01 (47MB?), 4.12
FatFree 2.17 (53MB), 3.01 (64MB), 4.21 (50MB).
bbnobrowser 4.21 - no browser or wordprocessor

These are all newer than the 2002 C400.
1 and 2 I think are older than the 2007 netbook.

Will DOS PQM run in XP DOS box?

I could install MicroXP to something else and experiment on it first.

mikeb

#35 Post by mikeb »

I have done the trick of half installing windows and copying the files...the point where install files are added to the hard drive and a temporary boot is made. Done it with 2000 but not sure if XP does that.

Nowadays I clone a usbootable XP ..so its copy and add ntlldr and boot.ini (can boot that from grub)

mike