Firefox official releases

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Tman

#65 Post by Tman »

I have modified the Firefox packages. Changes are as follows:

- prepare-firefox.pet functions have been integrated
- firefox becomes the defaultbrowser upon the first run of the sfs
- if old saved settings are found on first run, you will have the option to remove them
- firefox-8 and firefox-9 packages have a few addons (extensions), while firefox-7 doesn't
- if libdbus-glib files are not found in /usr/lib folder, they will be put there
-- if they are already there, then the original files will not be overwritten

Tman

#66 Post by Tman »

I was playing around with PupStudio today and found that Firefox-9 would often freeze up. I don't really know why. I tried resetting the network connection with the Network Wizard (not the simple one) but Firefox still crashed. Then I tried installing the recommended video driver (Xorg-High).
Firefox still loads slower for me than with smaller pups but so far it hasn't crashed. (fingers crossed).

UPDATE: I have reverted to using Firefox version 7.0.1 becuase I find it to be the more stable.

darkcity

#67 Post by darkcity »

I'm using puppy 5.28

Firefox 7 and 9 suffer with the fullscreen bug -

where you can't exit fullscreen mode - pressing F11 just reopens fullscreen.

updating JWM fixes bug - pet here
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02507

---

I've come across another bug. When you right click to open a download or open its folder-

Instead of opening with default program or opening folder, mTpaint is loaded as says 'cannot open file' - even if it is an image file

any idea how to fix?

Tman

#68 Post by Tman »

darkcity wrote: When you right click to open a download or open its folder-

Instead of opening with default program or opening folder, mTpaint is loaded as says 'cannot open file' - even if it is an image file

any idea how to fix?
I am not sure what you mean by this, can you provide a screenshot?
Also, does it happen in lucid 5.2.8 in openbox wm? I have lucid 5.2.8-004 with custom Icewm. Right-clicks are okay for me.

Are you talking about the Rox-Filer right-click options?

Tman

#69 Post by Tman »

Firefox 10.01 official appears to be unstable on this old Pentium 4.
I think I will stick to version 7... Namoroka seems good as well.

I've modified my older pets. The install method is better and the fonts are bigger.

Tman

#70 Post by Tman »

I tried version Firefox-7.0.1-2.sfs in Xprimo and it didn't work, although the pet of the same version did work.
I was confused as to why at first, but I figured it out.

Uploaded Firefox-7.0.1-3.sfs..now works in dpup exprimo, and should work now in any pups that come with Firefox preinstalled.

** warning the sfs will remove the old firefox files if they exist in /usr/lib/firefox

ilanrab

#71 Post by ilanrab »

Tman wrote:...
I think I will stick to version 7...
I tried many of the versions between firefox 4.x and 9.x . The only one that
proved stable was firefox 7.x . I am running it on top of Lucid 5.2.5 .
Cheers,
[b]ir[/b]

Tman

#72 Post by Tman »

New versions for Firefox-7.0.1 pet and sfs have been uploaded.

I must have changed the pet over ten times, but I think I finally got them the way I like them.
Versions 8 and 9 are still the old versions.

jodother

FF 10.0.2 won't start

#73 Post by jodother »

I installed FF 9.0.1 pet on Lucid 5.2.8 with xfce. Update within FF to version "10.0.0" seemed to work (just like any former updates) but after update to 10.0.2 FF didn't start. So I uninstalled this version and re-installed the original 9.0.1 pet.

Guess I have to wait for the next pet or hope that this issue will be fixed in one of the next FF internal updates?

RetroTechGuy

Re: FF 10.0.2 won't start

#74 Post by RetroTechGuy »

jodother wrote:I installed FF 9.0.1 pet on Lucid 5.2.8 with xfce. Update within FF to version "10.0.0" seemed to work (just like any former updates) but after update to 10.0.2 FF didn't start. So I uninstalled this version and re-installed the original 9.0.1 pet.

Guess I have to wait for the next pet or hope that this issue will be fixed in one of the next FF internal updates?
Did you run out of lupusave space during the upgrade? That is a common cause this crashing during upgrade.

BTW, I've been running the patched 9.01 .pet for some weeks now, and have had no issues...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 178#594178

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ges-lucid/

I see that there is a Firefox 10 .pet in the collection now.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Tman

#75 Post by Tman »

The reason why I didn't make up a Firefox-10 pet, is becuase it was unusable on my Pentium 4 test computer. It would freeze up doing simple tasks like surfing through the murga forum. I had some freezing problems with Firefox-9 as well, although not as bad. Firefox 10 ran okay on my dual-core, but it seemed to be laggy when loading web-pages. If Firefox 11 is more stable, then I will make a pet for it, but I didn't want to put out a pet that I know is buggy, ( EDIT - very buggy and unstable ) - thus avoiding complaints from forum members and explanations from me. (kind of).

jodother

firefox 10

#76 Post by jodother »

Hi RetroTechGuy,

I have 418 M free space on my lupusave file, so I don't think the issue is due to that.

On another PC I had the same issues as Tman with FF 10 and this forum. It seemed to freeze but after 30 or 60 seconds it opened the forum page. It really seems to be a problem of FF 10.

So let's wait for FF 11...

Tman

#77 Post by Tman »

Firefox-11.0 has been uploaded for testing. I have not tested it thouroughly, but so far it appears to be much more stable than version 10. Also, Firefox-9 has been removed, as it was also somewhat prone to crashing.

Tman

#78 Post by Tman »

I re-uploaded Firefox-11.0-official, with a few tweaks:

- Fixed a problem with the icon not showing in Icewm
- added "killall firefox" to /usr/bin/run_firefox

darkstrike

#79 Post by darkstrike »

Just wanted to post and thank you folks for the hard work - just did a fresh install of Puppy on my tinker box a few weeks ago and had installed the FF7 package and then let it update itself - ran into that "hangs for awhile on loading pages" bug and it was driving me crazy. Read another thread on how to fix it and that eventually led me here.

Uninstalled the FF7 package, installed your FF11 package and bam...issue solved! :)

Cheers!

EDIT: ...and apparently I lied. Just went to use the machine again and it is still doing the "hanging on loading pages" issue :(

Tman

#80 Post by Tman »

darkstrike wrote:Just went to use the machine again and it is still doing the "hanging on loading pages" issue :(
Darkstrike, trying uninstalling the Firefox 11 pet and remove the saved settings when it asks you to. Then reinstall the pet. This should give a clean install.
Firefox 11 has been stable for me on my system builds, but I am interested to know what websites the "hanging" problems occur for you on your system, and with which version of puppy.
Also, changing some of the preference settings may improve performance for you. I always disable the crashreporter, history, and automatic updates in Firefox.

sunburnt

#81 Post by sunburnt »

Anyone make an SFS of Firefox-11 with Flash installed ?

This would seem to be the best of the best. Quick install, try it, and removal if needed.
And the big plus... It does not take up Save file space !!!

Tman

#82 Post by Tman »

sunburnt wrote:Anyone make an SFS of Firefox-11 with Flash installed ?

This would seem to be the best of the best. Quick install, try it, and removal if needed.
And the big plus... It does not take up Save file space !!!
My firefox pets use a puninstall.sh script to clean leftover files when you uninstall the pet. Sfs files don't have this option, so you will have to manually clean up the bits and pieces after the sfs is unloaded. For example. see the /root/.mozilla/firefox folder.

-- How to convert pets into sfs files --

The link above shows you how to combine multiple pets into 1 sfs, but it will work with single pets too...just name the sfs file, something slightly different than the pet during the building process. You can rename the sfs to whatever you like after the process is complete.

darkstrike

#83 Post by darkstrike »

Tman wrote:
darkstrike wrote:Just went to use the machine again and it is still doing the "hanging on loading pages" issue :(
Darkstrike, trying uninstalling the Firefox 11 pet and remove the saved settings when it asks you to. Then reinstall the pet. This should give a clean install.
Firefox 11 has been stable for me on my system builds, but I am interested to know what websites the "hanging" problems occur for you on your system, and with which version of puppy.
Also, changing some of the preference settings may improve performance for you. I always disable the crashreporter, history, and automatic updates in Firefox.
Hi Tman - it seems to hang on almost any page I go to except a few (your basic www.google.ca / www.google.com, etc. for example doesn't hang)...I'm wondering if it has to do with sites that contain flash content...? The browser will enter a "not responding" state for 10+ seconds and then WILL eventually load the page, and the page will be fine after that...it's only during the initial load that it acts up. Once a page loads it works flawlessly.

As for removing the saved settings, I had done that manually as well as doing so when the FF11 pet prompted, so those settings should have been removed. I like having the latest version of FF so automatic updates are currently enabled (although I might disable that). However, I always have had history disabled as I never really use it and it just wastes space. The system is: 1.5ghz AMD AthlonXP 1800+, 512mbs RAM, 10gb HDD, 64mb Nvidia Quadro 2 Pro video card. The puppy version is Lucid 5.28 (the downloaded ISO that came with the 004 update preinstalled).

pa_mcclamrock

#84 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Just installed 11.0 official--looks good so far, and I'm using it right now--but I have one "newbie-like" question, if anyone would like to answer it. I saved the bookmark backups, but I'm not readily seeing how to restore bookmarks from backups. Can anyone tell me quick, or would it be better to read the [fine] manual?
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds