Firefox official releases

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
RetroTechGuy

#16 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Geoffrey wrote:I'm having a problem with FF8, hangs for ages , it was 7.01 that upgraded itself, put on another copy of 7.01 and it runs fine, I'm running lucid 5.2.8.

anyone else having this happen, is there a solution?
Yes, I had the same problem ("upgrade"). You found the solution... ;-)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Geoffrey

#17 Post by Geoffrey »

RetroTechGuy wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:I'm having a problem with FF8, hangs for ages , it was 7.01 that upgraded itself, put on another copy of 7.01 and it runs fine, I'm running lucid 5.2.8.

anyone else having this happen, is there a solution?
Yes, I had the same problem ("upgrade"). You found the solution... ;-)
I found how to fix it, replace libnss3.so that's in /usr/lib with the one that comes with FF8 in /usr/lib/firefox

then no errors, it was doing this this in the terminal

Code: Select all

(firefox:22314): Pango-WARNING **: libthai.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.10' not found (required by /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so)
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so)

now it's all good 8)

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

Does this repair that FF8 is slow and fail to go well with Flash player?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

TLM

#19 Post by TLM »

nooby wrote:Does this repair that FF8 is slow and fail to go well with Flash player?
I was having this problem with FF8 and under addons it showed two flashplayers installed, both 10 and 11 versions. Although i only had one libflashplayer.so in usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. I discovered that something had created an additional folder in usr/lib named flashplayer something or other. I do not remember the exact name, but it was right at the top alphabetically. Inside it were duplicates of all the plugins found in usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, except it had the 10 version of flashplayer and apparently FF8 was reading it. I deleted this entire flashplayer folder from usr/lib and now FF8 is running good and flash content runs good too. I have not had any issues with the libnss3.so issue mentioned by Geoffrey, however i will do that next if i have more issues with FF8.

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Thanks good that you shared your experience and actions.
I still have 7.01 or something due to not have booted up
but next time it most likely do the upgrade automatically.
So it is good to know there are solutions to try.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

roadkill13

#21 Post by roadkill13 »

I am currently running Lucid 5.28 update 002 on an Acer Aspire One D255. I experienced the following issues when I permitted Firefox to upgrade to 8.0.

Firefox restarted with the upgrade and loaded the default home page.

Firefox crashed while attempting to load the index page for this forum.

I was unable to resolve the issue at that time.

After reading this thread I created a fresh save file. I installed Firefox 7 from the repo and then permitted it to upgrade to 8.0 with the following results.

Firefox 8.0 worked out of the box. I did launch it from console and received a bug message:
WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!
At this point in the test Firefox 8.0 is working quite well.

It should be noted that /usr/lib/mozilla/ folder has no flashplayer plugin of any kind. Libflashplayer.so is absent from the plugins folder and there are no extra folders.

I installed flashplayer 11 from a .pet file. It placed libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. It did not seed any duplicate files.

I started Firefox 8.0 and it crashed trying to load the forum index page. I received a message when launching Firefox from console identical to the one posted by Geoffrey above regarding wrong version of libnss.so.3.

I followed his instructions and copied libnss.so.3 from /usr/lib/firefox to /usr/lib. This corrected the issue.

I am posting from Firefox 8.0 now.

I have noted that flash does seem a bit slow but there is evidence that my network has slowed down a bit over the last few days.

2byte

#22 Post by 2byte »

Geoffrey,

re: libnss3.so

Thank you very much. That fixed it here too. Lucid 5.11

Laie

#23 Post by Laie »

yup, it works!
thx

Geoffrey

#24 Post by Geoffrey »

nooby wrote:Does this repair that FF8 is slow and fail to go well with Flash player?
nooby,

I don't know about flash but it fix's the hang it had loading pages, I did the same with my laptop thats running Fluppy 13
though it has the error message

WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!
but it at lest runs firefox8 with some speed now, I'm just waiting for the next update now that will fix any other problems,
I found the fix on the firefox help, someone else posted a solution, so they are at lest aware of it now.

Burunduk

#25 Post by Burunduk »

Lupu525 also needs the libnss3.so trick. Thanks for pointing this out. As long as it is only a matter of a library search order, another solution is to place a simple wrapper instead of the /usr/bin/firefox symlink:

#!/bin/sh

ff_dir="/usr/lib/firefox"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${ff_dir}:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
exec "${ff_dir}"/firefox "$@"
Or we can use run-mozilla.sh but it gives an error when started without parameters.

bones01

#26 Post by bones01 »

I was ready to give up on good old Firefox. It just hangs, and that's no good.

Thanks for the suggestions Geoffrey. I'll get to it later on and see if that works for me, but going on what you said, it sounds like I had the same problem.

Today, it's the Opera for me.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Geoffrey

#27 Post by Geoffrey »

Geoffrey wrote:
nooby,

I don't know about flash but it fix's the hang it had loading pages, I did the same with my laptop thats running Fluppy 13
though it has the error message

but it at lest runs firefox8 with some speed now, I'm just waiting for the next update now that will fix any other problems,
I found the fix on the firefox help, someone else posted a solution, so they are at lest aware of it now.
Wouldn't you know it, the wife asked me why can't I watch youtubes on the laptop.

Mmmm, that the one with the

I put 7.01 back on it until I can find a fix for flash, unless someone knows of one already.

Geoffrey

Semme

#28 Post by Semme »

Since some of you are so intent on running the latest, the greatest.. move up to nine.

Geoffrey

#29 Post by Geoffrey »

Semme wrote:Since some of you are so intent on running the latest, the greatest.. move up to nine.
It's not that we are intent, it's the fact that it want's to upgrade, so we do.

By all rights it should be better software, but even the experts get it wrong sometimes.

Semme

#30 Post by Semme »

You <wink> know what I was getting at...

pemasu

#31 Post by pemasu »

Try to install xorg_high or equivalent libgl1-mesa-dri. It might help.

Tman

Re: Firefox 7.0.1 official and 8.0 beta

#32 Post by Tman »

don922 wrote: I am having trouble finding the Bookmarks file. What is it called and where should it be located? The bookmark file in the .mozilla directory in the Home directory appears to be a plain new unused file with no bookmarks.

The bookmarkbackups directory seems to be current and contain good data. Can this bookmarkbackups file be used to replace the bookmarks file when I install the Firefox-7.0.1.pet, after running the prepare-firefox.pet? If it can be used -- How do you use the backup?
Yes, your bookmark files are installed in the /root/.mozilla folder. Firefox updates your bookmarks to that folder by default and saves them according to the date.

To restore them within Firefox:
Bookmarks -> Show all Bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Restore

It should have bookmarks there from your previous sessions.
You can back up your bookmarks to that default folder or to another location of your choosing. The Backup/Restore option uses files with the .json extension.

You can also save your bookmarks by Exporting to a .html file.
The Import option uses .html files and appends your saved bookmarks to whatever bookmarks you already have.

Just do some experimenting and you'll figure it out.

Peterm321

#33 Post by Peterm321 »

pemasu

Quote:

It is possible, I don't know for sure of course as I haven't had the bug, that this could be related to webgl.

I have the about:config preference

webgl.disabled
set to true and am able to view flash without problems.

Geoffrey

#34 Post by Geoffrey »

Peterm321 wrote:

pemasu

Quote:

It is possible, I don't know for sure of course as I haven't had the bug, that this could be related to webgl.

I have the about:config preference

webgl.disabled
set to true and am able to view flash without problems.
It didn't help, still the same problem, no flash, I tried a nightly build, it appears that all these problems we are having
has continued into these other releases also, I have never had a problem with Firefox in the past, with any of my PC's.

Oh well, back to the drawing board :lol:

HiDeHo

#35 Post by HiDeHo »

Maybe i have missed something already in the post but what are the firefox libs.pet and prepare-firefox.pet for. and what do they do.