Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 21:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Firefox official releases
Page 10 of 15 [217 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
Tman

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec 2012, 21:14    Post subject:  

Thanks, Peebee.

I will add that category the next time I create a Firefox pet and sfs.
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2012, 22:13    Post subject:  

Rockin' Tman!

Firefox recently "helped me" by pushing v.17 onto my system. That crunched many of my browser functions. So I uninstalled FF, and dropped in your .SFS version.

Not only does it work better, but it also cleared about 150MB from my save file (unbelievable how much crud FF accumulates).

Thanks man!

One note, it may need some instructions on how to link in the binary from the .SFS (I figured it out, but not likely something that a newbie would be able to -- unless I missed something in the instructions).

Tman

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 22:28    Post subject:  

RetroTechGuy,

You're very welcome. Regarding this part of your post:

RetroTechGuy wrote:

One note, it may need some instructions on how to link in the binary from the .SFS

A symlink to the binary should be created when you load the sfs for the first time.
The name of the symlink is /usr/bin/firefox. Is this what you are referring to? If not, then please clarify.
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec 2012, 17:05    Post subject:  

Tman wrote:
RetroTechGuy,

You're very welcome. Regarding this part of your post:

RetroTechGuy wrote:

One note, it may need some instructions on how to link in the binary from the .SFS

A symlink to the binary should be created when you load the sfs for the first time.
The name of the symlink is /usr/bin/firefox. Is this what you are referring to? If not, then please clarify.

Yes, this didn't happen in my case (and I did it manually).

Is it possible I fudged something by uninstalling my old FF (at the moment I don't recall if I had mounted the SFS already -- it is possible that I was seeing if the SFS would override the installed FF, so I could test it before committing to the SFS version -- but unmounting then remounting the SFS, as I did, ideally should have reset that)

BTW, you have no idea how much I enjoy seeing 3 green bars on my save file space (I was hanging in the yellow to red range, because of FF bloat).

Tman

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2012, 23:04    Post subject:  

@RetroTechGuy

After you have mounted the SFS for the first time, there should be a file named /root/firefox-16.01.txt.
If you ever need to run the Firefox setup script again, just keep the Firefox.sfs mounted, then deleted the above mentioned .txt file, and launch Firefox from the menu.
Or instead of running firefox from the menu, you can alternatively type run_firefox from the terminal.

This will go through the process of recreating the symlinks, asking you to remove your old saved settings, etc.

Lately, I have been taking a breather from Puppy related projects, but sooner or later, I will return to where I had left off.
Semme

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan 2013, 10:59    Post subject:  

For those of you with auto-update disabled: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/18.0/releasenotes/
vicmz

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan 2013, 23:41    Post subject:  

I was thinking...
There's a get-libreoffice app, how about a get-firefox app? An application that offers to download the latest Firefox in the language chosen by the user, installs it at /opt and creates a suitable menu entry, detects-downloads-and-installs absent dependencies, and offers to set it as default web browser.

Semme

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb 2013, 09:01    Post subject:  

Yesterday >> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/19.0/releasenotes/
vanchutr

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 21:11    Post subject:  

Download: firefox-addons.tar.gz and firefox-19.sfs at:
Code:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bx0YXB6XAVQBTzJXbnJFNEE3U0k/edit?usp=sharing

firefox-addons.tar.gz supports flashgot, fast download video files (in firefox19.0 and firefox18.2)

untar firefox-addons.tar.gz to system (after sfsload load firefox-19.sfs) and restart firefox.
(tar -xzvf firefox-addons.tar.gz -C /)
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 09:59    Post subject:  

Seems that FF17 think it is the latest? At least Puppy Slacko
FF17 tell me it is the latest official and updated.

But I know both 18 and 19 exists too so maybe them are under dev then?

Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 22:27    Post subject:  

I don't know... I had that problem with 16 and 17, too. For some reason, my Linux versions don't see any updates. (And I'm using the tar.bz2 archives directly from Mozilla's servers.)

The versions on my other OSes? No problems there. Shocked

So, for the time being, I'm just leaving FF at v17. Rolling Eyes

(Oh, and Thunderbird's having the same 'problem,' for me, too.)

Semme

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2013, 07:28    Post subject:  

For the both-a-youz >> fourteen and sixteen here. Put thought into action..

Netstat does in fact report this: aus03.zlb.phx.mozilla.net (63.245.217.44)

Your app.update.url may list it as: https://aus3.mozilla.org/*
Semme

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:13    Post subject:  

Security release >> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/19.0.2/releasenotes/
Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 09 Mar 2013, 16:38    Post subject:  

(continued from here)

As I mentioned, my 'problem' isn't that the URL's being blocked in any way... but it's a bit more complex than that.

I've always just downloaded and used the regular .tar.bz2 download for firefox; haven't had any problems with it up to... around v16. No missing dependencies, no error messages. It's worked fine. Had to manually update it to 16.0.2, though, as I recall.

The issue comes if I try to (manually) update the install to v17 or higher (since, as I mentioned, the check for updates doesn't see anything. Also, I do delete my firefox binary directory and replace it with the new extracted version, when I update manually.)

Suddenly, my desktop shortcuts to Firefox no longer work, as does clicking on the firefox or firefox-bin binaries in the Filer windows. If I pop up a terminal window and run firefox that way, it'll work, though a bit slower... except when the Firefox window comes up (after the usual extension check that happens when you change versions), Firefox is convinced it's version 12, and won't see any later versions. Shocked
There are no error messages (in the terminal or elsewhere).
(Note: I did just try the update again with v19.0.2, same problems.)

I don't know why it would behave like that; I have no problems with Firefox or updating it on my non-Linux systems (only have one Linux system, this Puppy Smile ). v16.0.2 works fine, strangely enough, aside from not seeing any updates.

However, Thunderbird is working fine at v18; I also had to manually update it as it wouldn't see the updates past v16, but it still worked after manually updating it. Shocked So, I'm not sure why Firefox decides to freak out... but as 16.0.2 works, and I spend most of my time using SM on the Puppy setup (which has no issues seeing the updates or updating), it hasn't been a big issue, really.

Semme

PostPosted: Sat 09 Mar 2013, 17:59    Post subject:  

Just finished removing all things Mozilla and your type manual install- easy enough.

Fired the fresh install outta /usr/lib and- Whala! Update was already in progress..

I understand it's not an issue, but wouldn't you like to know where the holdup is?

Add "127.0.0.1 aus3.mozilla.org" to your /etc/hosts file..

Then pass me this line from about:config: app.update.url

Which should read:
Code:
https://aus3.mozilla.org/update/3/%PRODUCT%/%VERSION%/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/%CHANNEL%/%OS_VERSION%/%DISTRIBUTION%/%DISTRIBUTION_VERSION%/update.xml

Prior, have a terminal open and loaded with: netstat -tn

Hit check for updates then quickly execute the loaded terminal.

We have an ssl connection?
Page 10 of 15 [217 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: