Slacko B5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#61 Post by Sage »

Have you run this on another Puppy?
No - Mint Xfce. On that, it installs and runs without dep. grief. Tried to install it from a Ubu series of files as alluded by muggie, but, as anyone who tries it will find, it requires a lot more knowledge/selection/manipulation for Puppy (I started with Luci001 to try to ameliorate matters). I do not understand anything about Puppy structures and requirements and am far too busy with eg HW projects. Apart from which, after trying for ~50yrs to learn about programming & co. failed at every turn. Part of the problem is complete lack of interest! Skills in almost every other quarter (except poetry?!) probably well exceed the average. Can't be all things to all men/women....

Stripe

#62 Post by Stripe »

hi all

running on multisession dvd, has worked with all my hardware (full install on my 800mhz amd 256mb ram)

only 1 slight problem, occasionally drops wireless connection (sns)

apart from that all good

cheers

don

peebee

#63 Post by peebee »

Stripe wrote:only 1 slight problem, occasionally drops wireless connection (sns)
don
Hi Don

Have you tried Frisbee - in the Internet menu - solved this problem for me with my B43 wifi...

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

tasmod

#64 Post by tasmod »

Tried for you Sage, but after two hours of downloading and compiling I gave up. There are just so many convoluted deps required.

Cheese binary sorted, cheese libs sorted, libgnome-desktop-0.2 sorted, vala-0.14.0 sorted, then fell down at gstreamer-0.10. This had so many other requirements I would be there for a day.

Sorry.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

Sage

#65 Post by Sage »

Tried for you Sage
Hero, tas - thanks a bunch! These things are so far beyond me - have to rely on the wizards of Perengori...

Stripe

#66 Post by Stripe »

hi all

Ive just spotted the deliberate mistake, we have the frisbee pet for those with difficulty connecting to the net . but it is of no use in the ppm if they cant access the net :lol:

hope this helps

don

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#67 Post by Lobster »

:) Tried booting from an external USB DVD on my Asus Eeepc 700

Booting up went OK. Plugged it in. Booted. Connected.
8)

I could not do a save because too much screen resources are being used. Could not get to the save or or other choice buttons.
The 800x480 is being addressed by Barry who is aware of the situation in the next Woof I believe.

It gave me an option to load the Firewall during connection. I did. Nice 8)
Now if I go to Menu/Network/Growl
Load the browser securely. Press f11 (browser maximize)
No need to install Flash.
Ready to connect to my offshore bank account and see how many sardine cans I have in storage . . .

Bank on Puppy
to save $
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#68 Post by Lobster »

The portabase databse set of pets (puppy and linux for user and passw)
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/DaveS/
seem to work OK in Slacko? 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mavrothal

#69 Post by mavrothal »

Stripe wrote:we have the frisbee pet for those with difficulty connecting to the net . but it is of no use in the ppm if they cant access the net :lol:
That would be the case if the frisbee.pet was not included in the sfs :shock:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jim3630

#70 Post by jim3630 »

mavrothal wrote:
Stripe wrote:we have the frisbee pet for those with difficulty connecting to the net . but it is of no use in the ppm if they cant access the net :lol:
That would be the case if the frisbee.pet was not included in the sfs :shock:

thanks to 01micko big time!

Stripe

#71 Post by Stripe »

hi all

:oops: I just couldn't see frisbee in the menus :oops:

cheers

don

chrismt

#72 Post by chrismt »

peebee wrote:
Stripe wrote:only 1 slight problem, occasionally drops wireless connection (sns)
don
Hi Don

Have you tried Frisbee - in the Internet menu - solved this problem for me with my B43 wifi...

Cheers
peebee
I had similar problem. I switched off the Firewall and removed it from the boot. I restarted it is pretty fast till now. I dunno, what was wrong with the Firewall though :shock:

James C

#73 Post by James C »

Finally got to do a manual frugal install of B5 on the old P3 test box........no problems yet.Everything basically working on initial boot and survived a couple of reboots.

01micko

#74 Post by 01micko »

Hi guys

Great hol.. fishies won :( [ :lol: or was it lobsters? ]

Anyhow.. got 2.6.39.4 compiled, ndiswrapper, sysprof, PAE.. including scsi and broadcom drivers (and firmware, updated wag_progiles.sh) [many thanks pemausu, Barry, tempestuous].. I am posting from it now.. however don't know when I'll be able to post as there is a little bit of adverse weather around.. had an power outage just as I finished compiling firefox-7.0.1. What's with mozilla anyway? seamonkey-2.4.1? These were only betas to the main number just days ago :? .. oh well both sm and ff are compiled.. same deal though depends on if weather clears if I upload tonight. (been using a few hours, survived the hard poweroff from the power outage.. :roll: happened to have at least 6 drives mounted too.. :( , checked the lot, took time)

About Frisbee, I included it as a pet on the iso because it was too problematic to include with net-wiz and sns. I didn't make a menu entry because it's in the connect wizard.. I can though.. something like "install Frisbee".. and it activates the install. BTW, I need to take it out of PPM. Actually have grown to prefer Frisbee, it connects quicker than sns, it used to drop out when exiting X but now it doesn't. It was a pain to get right but worth it in the end.. you can read about my frustrations in the earlier beta threads :lol: .

Firefox-7.0.1 (14M) is uploaded

Seamonkey-2.4.1 (18M) is uploaded
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

#75 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:Actually have grown to prefer Frisbee, it connects quicker than sns, it used to drop out when exiting X but now it doesn't. :lol: .
Hi Mick

I'm also a fan of Frisbee - but mainly 'cos it maintains my wifi connection over time which sns and wizard can't manage.....

The only problem I know with Frisbee is that it seems to use its own internal version of ip-info which isn't quite the same as the main one in the menu and it's exit button is "dead" - doesn't exit...

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#76 Post by 01micko »

The only problem I know with Frisbee is that it seems to use its own internal version of ip-info which isn't quite the same as the main one in the menu and it's exit button is "dead" - doesn't exit...
Yeah, noticed that, should be an easy fix, probably because we switched to straight gtkdialog4, I'll look at it.. or call the orig now that it supports small screen, which is why jemimah would have changed it.

in other big news...

slacko b5x is uploading... see main post soon.. (k2.6.39.4, xz compression)

Sage

#77 Post by Sage »

...or kamoso works well in Mint, too....

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#78 Post by Lobster »

01micko wrote:Hi guys
Great hol.. fishies won :( [ :lol: or was it lobsters? ]
This fish always win. It is a numbers thing. 8)
Glad you had a good hol. Welcome back to the kennels.
We are having a heatwave (for UK).

Took a few photos this morning, just at random with my phone as I walked. Phone has to be mounted to use in Slacko. Then some cropping (highlight and press delete and effects/transform colour in Mtpaint . . . then a bit of cloud processing . . .and we have a shareable short vid . . . Most of pics out of focus and weird angles, which I liked.
http://youtu.be/-1ZModYh0Iw

Anyway it is a technique I might use in a Slacko promo vid
. . . we still need a logo . . . 8)

Any holiday pics to share . . . ?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

01micko

#79 Post by 01micko »

Sorry no pics..

__

Attention laptop users:

This is the new powerapplet_tray that Barry re-wrote to work with newer kernels, that's why I dropped it in favour of vattery.. let me know if it works for you.

Thanks
Attachments
powerapplet_tray-2.4-s.pet
restart X to see if it works, if so run "chmod 644 $HOME/Startup/vattery.sh" to kill vattery, restart X again...
(4.77 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

Billtoo

Slacko B5

#80 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install of beta5++.

Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer ATI Radeon HD 5570
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

OpenGL
Vendor ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer ATI Radeon HD 5570
Version 4.1.11079 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes

Computer
Processor 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
Memory 8310MB (175MB used)

# glxgears
40089 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8017.733 FPS
41486 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8297.056 FPS
41487 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8297.202 FPS

I installed mesa from slickpet after installing the ati driver, I should
have installed mesa first I think but it's working okay.
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 01 Oct 2011, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.