Slacko B5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#211 Post by playdayz »

stripe and tasgarth,

In addition to what zigbert says, I have just found that if I install alsa-tools (which is not present by default) then my m-audio card has a mixer that retrovol can be configured to use (in full view only). Plus alsa-tools-gui (140K) gives me the whole m-audio mixer--very nice. I have also found that gnome-alsamixer, which is very small (53K), is very convenient, instead of having to reconfigure for each card as with retrovol (or press F6 as in alsamixer), it displays them all in easy to change tabs. I am going to add both of these to the next Super Multimedia Upgrade for Lucid 5.2.8. If we are lucky they will be in PPM for Slacko (not in Slacko so I can't check at the moment).

alsa-tools-gui has software for the following (the m-audio audiophile 2496 is an envy card)
echomixer - control tool for Echoaudio soundcards
envy24control - control tool for Envy24 (ice1712) based soundcards
hdspconf - GUI program to control the Hammerfall HDSP Alsa Settings.
hdspmixer - tool to control the advanced routing features of the
RME Hammerfall DSP.
rmedigicontrol - control tool for RME Digi32 and RME Digi96 soundcards

(There is also alsamixer-gui but it requires libfltk, and does not look as good as gnome-alsamixer and has no tabs.)

Tasgarth

#212 Post by Tasgarth »

zigbert
What result do you get if you execute amixer -i in terminal?
playdayz
In addition to what zigbert says, I have just found that if I install alsa-tools....
If we are lucky they will be in PPM for Slacko
OK

Thanks for your replies.
Attachments
amixer.tar.gz
(515 Bytes) Downloaded 309 times

playdayz

#213 Post by playdayz »

stripe and tasgarth, Unfortunately it seems that alsa-tools-gui and gnome-alsamixer are not in the Slackware repos. Maybe I am not searching correctly. But I will look around.

01micko

#214 Post by 01micko »

Hi all,

playdaz.. anything gnome is in slacky.eu. I notice the PACKAGES.txt for slacky grew from 1M to 1.2M so it may be there now, you can get it by doing the full PPM update, it's faster than lupu.

Already "to-do" is make alsamixer the defaultaudiomixer, and sure a menu entry would be good.

I also need defaultcdplayer and defaultdvdplayer, so when you click the cd/dvd icon the correct app opens.

Sigmund- pmusic-218, got it, boy you move fast 8)

Stripe. Please don't compile kernel stuff just yet. I am, releasing RC as I said with 2 kernel choices for 2.6.39.4, they will be idendified with "uname -r" as 2.6.39.4pae and 2.6.39.4smp. It's likely nvidia and radeon drivers I made will fail, but it's ok, I got compiling them down to an art now.
If you want to compile something a standalone vlc would be cool. We have one dependent on all the qt libs. Just make sure you enable lots of codecs, enable run as root, and disable the moz plugin. I can get it to load but it never works!

Also, Major-foo said he had audacious-303 or something. Where from? PPM? A pet would be cool, but no deps included, put the deps in the pet.specs. eg "+libsamplerate,+libevent" or whatever they are. Else build with deps in a different lib PATH. (/root/my-applications/lib?)

Thanks
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jasper

#215 Post by Jasper »

Hi 01micko et al,

VLC 1.1.1 (36 MB) from Portable Linux Apps works well for me - if of interest.

My earlier comment about Fprot was meant to suggest in response to your earlier comment that perhaps it is not so urgently required.

My regards

PS Libre Office from Portable Linux Apps has serious spelling problems (apparently for all languages) so I now use the SFS instead.

Billtoo

Slacko B5

#216 Post by Billtoo »

I got a new nvidia graphics card and replaced the legacy ati card that
was in this pc, then did a fresh frugal install of beta 5++.
Installed devx + kernel source sfs + NVIDIA-Linux-x86-285.05.09.run

Wed 5 Oct 2011 Operating System: Slacko Puppy-4.9x.7 Linux 2.6.39.4
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: GF108 Board - 1071v1p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.9.5
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (373x231 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Computer
Processor 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor
Memory 8312MB (109MB used)

The new graphics card is working well in beta 5++

gcmartin

#217 Post by gcmartin »

Just a note for others.

I run Live media PUPs. This PUP (and Barry's RACY too) seemingly is achieving speed I have not seen before on either my laptop or the other 32bit boxes I am running and testing on .

Here's my configuration that I am applying for my desktop LAN PCs.
  1. remove all HDDs from each system
  2. Insert a USB stick for SWAP only; with a 2nd small partition in case of emergency need.
  3. Run CD/DVD/JamesBond's Netboot OS loads
  4. Setup each system to access RAIDed NASs on local network
My findings:
  • All available RAM is detected by the OS
  • All systems load OS totally in RAM
  • After OS load, all remaining RAM is used for Linux filesystem accessing (could NOT be accomplished without PAE)
  • My laptop can now be used on my LAP! Its Temperature way down
  • There is a noticeable decrease in overall system temperature on all PCs as measured at system's exhaust fan. This is understandable.
  • My application use and needs now have a tremendous area of use that would otherwise be limited in 32bit systems
  • My systems, seemingly, are faster because of RAM usage available to the OS via PAE hardware.
  • There is NO INDICATION OF NEGATIVE BEHAVIOR
These findings are verifiable and repeatable.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about what Tovalds said. I re-iterate my understanding of what he has said: "He will not invest any additional resources in 32bit development to extend its life." His 32bit PAE productions work! His focus is on 64bit and Linux's future. And he wants the constant bombardment of those trying to sway his direction to stop!.

I agree with him. He has already solved PAE years ago. He has never once said to NOT use his PAE model or that something was wrong with Linux's use of PAE hardware. Nor has he inferred such to the Linux community at any time.

I thank Mr. Tovalds for his contributions and I stand by his statements to request everyone stop bothering him about focusing on 32bit hardware. The 64bit hardware model is a superior model.

And thank you 01Micko and BarryK for helping the community by addressing a 32bit OS that adapts no matter what the RAM it finds by using the model that Mr. Tovalds has given us. And thanks also to all of the others who have contributed to this in 2011. Its a credit to all of us and certainly to Puppy as it "leap-frogs" all other 32bit Linux distributions in behavior, power, and ability to stay within the same platform no matter how much RAM you add (assuming its less than 64GB).

Thanks be to all.

James C

#218 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote:Just a note for others.

I run Live media PUPs. This PUP (and Barry's RACY too) seemingly is achieving speed I have not seen before on either my laptop or the other 32bit boxes I am running and testing on .

Here's my configuration that I am applying for my desktop LAN PCs.
  1. remove all HDDs from each system
  2. Insert a USB stick for SWAP only; with a 2nd small partition in case of emergency need.
  3. Run CD/DVD/JamesBond's Netboot OS loads
  4. Setup each system to access RAIDed NASs on local network
My findings:
  • All available RAM is detected by the OS
  • All systems load OS totally in RAM
  • After OS load, all remaining RAM is used for Linux filesystem accessing (could NOT be accomplished without PAE)
  • My laptop can now be used on my LAP! Its Temperature way down
  • There is a noticeable decrease in overall system temperature on all PCs as measured at system's exhaust fan. This is understandable.
  • My application use and needs now have a tremendous area of use that would otherwise be limited in 32bit systems
  • My systems, seemingly, are faster because of RAM usage available to the OS via PAE hardware.
  • There is NO INDICATION OF NEGATIVE BEHAVIOR
These findings are verifiable and repeatable.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about what Tovalds said. I re-iterate my understanding of what he has said: "He will not invest any additional resources in 32bit development to extend its life." His 32bit PAE productions work! His focus is on 64bit and Linux's future. And he wants the constant bombardment of those trying to sway his direction to stop!.

I agree with him. He has already solved PAE years ago. He has never once said to NOT use his PAE model or that something was wrong with Linux's use of PAE hardware. Nor has he inferred such to the Linux community at any time.

I thank Mr. Tovalds for his contributions and I stand by his statements to request everyone stop bothering him about focusing on 32bit hardware. The 64bit hardware model is a superior model.

And thank you 01Micko and BarryK for helping the community by addressing a 32bit OS that adapts no matter what the RAM it finds by using the model that Mr. Tovalds has given us. And thanks also to all of the others who have contributed to this in 2011. Its a credit to all of us and certainly to Puppy as it "leap-frogs" all other 32bit Linux distributions in behavior, power, and ability to stay within the same platform no matter how much RAM you add (assuming its less than 64GB).

Thanks be to all.
Since you obviously don't let facts stand in the way of your crusade, I have one simple request.post a link to something where Linus Torvalds supports your "interpretation".
There is a reason why basically none of the major distros, except Scientific Linux and Centos, offer a live cd with a PAE kernel.....guess everyone is just not as informed as you.
Kinda difficult to carry on a rational discussion with someone w2ho exhibits a total disregard for facts. :)

EDIT:
I love your methodology of testing with a sample size of one.Apologies to 01micko for the temporary disruption of his thread.

01micko

#219 Post by 01micko »

:lol:

There is only one argument to settle.

In the 2.6.39.4-smp version should I use xz compression (slower to decompress, smaller iso, 111M) or gz compression (faster decompression, larger iso, 124M)???

In my testing, the xz loads to 224M RAM (that's 256 with 32 for shared graphics) where as gz keeps the cd mounted. It should be ok though with 256 of dedicated RAM.

Thoughts?

Stripe

#220 Post by Stripe »

hi all

mick the psip pet in slickpet keeps droping the connection, so I have compiled a later version (1.2pre) in 4.9.X.7, seems to work OK but will test this out over the next couple of days and if it works I will compile one for slickpet with the rc when it is released
(thanks to smokey01,catdude, caneri and jamesbond)

there is no glade in the devx is there?

with a standalone vlc do you want the qt libs putting in a different path so it wont affect qt if it is installed? (sounds like I know what I am talking about :lol: )

hope this helps

don

01micko

#221 Post by 01micko »

Stripe wrote:hi all

mick the psip pet in slickpet keeps droping the connection, so I have compiled a later version (1.2pre) in 4.9.X.7, seems to work OK but will test this out over the next couple of days and if it works I will compile one for slickpet with the rc when it is released
(thanks to smokey01,catdude and caneri)

there is no glade in the devx is there?

with a standalone vlc do you want the qt libs putting in a different path so it wont affect qt if it is installed? (sounds like I know what I am talking about :lol: )

hope this helps
don
With vlc putting qt libs in /usr/lib is ok as the qt-everywhere-4.7.3 package installs to /opt.

Thanks for tackling puppy phone (psip)

Glade is in devx

majorfoo

#222 Post by majorfoo »

01micko wrote:
Also, Major-foo said he had audacious-303 or something. Where from? PPM? A pet would be cool, but no deps included, put the deps in the pet.specs. eg "+libsamplerate,+libevent" or whatever they are. Else build with deps in a different lib PATH. (/root/my-applications/lib?)

Thanks
I am using Audacious-3.02-lucid-528 provided by playdayz on Aug 28, 2011
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=105

I have used it in Lucid 528, Luci 529, Slacko B4 and B5

majorfoo

James C

#223 Post by James C »

01micko wrote::lol:

There is only one argument to settle.

In the 2.6.39.4-smp version should I use xz compression (slower to decompress, smaller iso, 111M) or gz compression (faster decompression, larger iso, 124M)???

In my testing, the xz loads to 224M RAM (that's 256 with 32 for shared graphics) where as gz keeps the cd mounted. It should be ok though with 256 of dedicated RAM.

Thoughts?
First,no argument,nothing personal....just a minor technical disagreement. :)

My opinion on compression........for my little experiments with 2.6.39.4 and 3.0.4 in Three-Headed-Dog I've decided to use gz just for the speed difference.My k-3.0.4 build with xz just seemed noticeably slower so I went with gz.
Just one opinion and YMMV. :lol:

01micko

#224 Post by 01micko »

James C wrote: My opinion on compression........for my little experiments with 2.6.39.4 and 3.0.4 in Three-Headed-Dog I've decided to use gz just for the speed difference.My k-3.0.4 build with xz just seemed noticeably slower so I went with gz.
Just one opinion and YMMV. :lol:
Actually, my vote is with gz too, I reckon jades would see the difference on the old K6.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#225 Post by Lobster »

Actually, my vote is with gz too, I reckon jades would see the difference on the old K6.
I read the original question several times. Is the difference in speed only noticeable on boot up or in usage?
If usage is slower then gz. If boot up is the only issue, then I would go for the smaller size ISO. I boot up from CD and that is aprox 10 seconds slower than frugall or full install. Most people spend more time running an OS than booting. So the priority should be in usage response time.
A smaller ISO is still important to our many slow connection users and potential users.

Hope that is helpful. 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

playdayz

#226 Post by playdayz »

I am using Audacious-3.02-lucid-528 provided by playdayz on Aug 28, 2011
majorfoo and 01micko, I am planning to try to compile Audacious 3.0.3 and 2.5.4 in Slacko. I have been able to do them in Lucid. But their website has been wonky and I can't get the source. The reason for both is that Audacious 3 requires gtk3 and Audacious 2 only requires gtk2.

It is good to know the Lucid version works in Slacko just in case.

Could someone else try this please http://audacious-media-player.org

It really has been like this for 2 weeks or more.

01micko

#227 Post by 01micko »

playdayz.. yep that site is broken

Mandriva has some source for 303 <--http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc ... rev=700537 awful slow download

Mageia has 3.1A <-- http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/mageia/ ... a2.src.rpm

RHEL 2.5.4 <-- http://dl.atrpms.net/all/audacious-2.5.4-1.src.rpm

sszindian

SiS Card

#228 Post by sszindian »

01micko:

I'm back... (sorry about that :shock: ) This resolution problem was just driving me nuts (I know, you too) so today I had some early appointments, this afternoon I decided to put things off around here one more afternoon and hit the computer.

I went back through a ton of disks and dug out some of the older Spup's where you where just getting into the Slacko thing. Here's what I found...

Spup-310-312.37.iso loaded,ran, tested various things and it worked, gave me the 1440x900 resolution!

Spup-311-312.37.iso loaded,ran, tested various things and it worked, gave me the 1440x900 resolution!

Spup-312.37.iso loaded but THAT VERSION IS WHERE EVERYTHING WENT BAD and started giving me the 1224x1224 resolution! But... this 312 DID in fact keep icons (although oblongated) on the desktop. From this version things kept getting worse as far as desktop icon display.

'IF' you can figure out what went wrong between 311 & 312 I believe the problem will be solved... 'It's NOT my SiS card causing the problem!'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

01micko

#229 Post by 01micko »

OP <-- Indian.. this is an "Ah ha!" moment :) . And, you know what? I suspected as much. 312.37 is when I abandoned boot to desktop.

Try this. Copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf0 to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, effectively overwriting your xorg.conf. Restart X.

There is no info in the xorg.conf.0 file about your chip so Xorg will configure everything it's self.. this is where there is a bug in Xorg which I have already mentioned. I haven't time to rewrite xorgwizard but I can do a work around exactly as Charlie's, the problem is almost the same.

Cheers, and thanks :)

EDIT:

Charlie and Indian,
The thing in common with you guys is that after 312.37 things went pear shaped.

You can both try this:

* Edit the file /etc/DISTRO_SPECS

* the bottom line says DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='no'

* change to : DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='yes'

* delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf

* restart X

This is Barry's way to get auto desktop. It works ok for me with radeon but crap with nvidia, always uses vesa. Still, xorgwizard is accessible for those situations where it doesn't work.

Billtoo

Slacko B5

#230 Post by Billtoo »

@01micko

I sent you a pm with a link to the source code of audacious 2.4.4