Slacko B5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#136 Post by 01micko »

Stripe proof? :lol:

yeah it can be unsquashed.. it's a woof bug that it's not included.. too tired tonight, I'll solve tomorrow :wink:

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

sszindian

SiS Card

#137 Post by sszindian »

B-5:

Same graphic problem with B-5 as previous versions, my SiS graphics just won't give me the 1440x900 resolution. Just keeps defaulting to 1224x1224 and won't take a correct. I even tried installing SiS packages from other puppys where I get the 1440x900 without problems, that doesn't work either?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#138 Post by Lobster »

wuwei wrote: If I use B5 with my upgraded savefile it reboots instead of shutting down.
I had this intermittently. Should be fixed in next woof :)
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02519
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

zigbert

#139 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:too tired tonight
Sweet dreams :)

I made a quick search and found that Tinycore has a Mplayer compiled with -nodeps. This is maybe not what we want, but it shows that it is possible to skip some libs.

While I am on to this mulitmedia-lib-nagging, I think we could skip libmad as well. Else of Mplayer, it is only normalize which uses libmad. This must be for the script normalize-mp3 which is not in use by Pburn (the only app using normalize in Slacko).

Sigmund

playdayz

#140 Post by playdayz »

For testing

TOR-Browser Bundle

Complete with Firefox 7.0.1

Anonymous web browsing

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... slacko.pet

It seems to not work unless the hardware clock is accurately set to UTC. Desktop -> Country settings -> Psync

For some reason it does not work with the browser in full screen--see message below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pburn 3.4.0 just crashed in writing an iso image to disc--the iso of B5++. The screen froze and I had to CTRL-Alt-BS. It finished the disc and crashed right after the "BurnFree was never needed" message.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Booting B5++ from CD, it automatically grabbed the slackosave.2fs from the 2.6.37.6 B5. One needs to boot pfix=ram to avoid that.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Stripe

#141 Post by Stripe »

hi all

playdayz, the new tor keeps freezing, but your earlier tor pets dont have this problem (time is set to utc) will keep trying.

try pburn 3.4.1 as I have not had the freezing with this version (thanks zigbert)

hope this helps

don

edited to add: freezing seems only to be happening in fullscreen mode, I am posting this edit from the new tor
Last edited by Stripe on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#142 Post by playdayz »

the new tor keeps freezing, but your earlier tor pets dont have this problem (time is set to utc) will keep trying.
Hmmm, The only thing I have seen make it freeze is the time thing. Hey Stripe, Have you run Psync? Have you run the first run wizard and set your time zone?

You are testing on Slacko B5 I assume? Did the other tor pets work in Slacko or was it Lucid?

Stripe

#143 Post by Stripe »

hi all

@Playdayz: I posted the edit to my last post as you were posting :lol:

the new tor seems to be working fine as long as I dont run it fullscreen

I have ran Psync and my time zone is set to utc

it was b5 that I tested the previous versions

hope this helps

stripe

playdayz

#144 Post by playdayz »

In B++ the ati fglrx driver seems to work fine on my HD 3850.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was some weirdness in creating the save file on first boot from CD. Some code showed up on one screen during the save process and I also saw a quick modprobe fatal error message." However, the save file was created and it worked on reboot.

Yes Stripe, I see what you mean. I tried some older versions and they did the same thing. I never tested that in Lucid, so I will do that. What a bizarre bug. I don't have any clue what to do about it.

More -> I tested the same pet in Lucid and it worked full screen. There are no extra libraries added to the pet, so that isn't the problem. I still have no clue. Does anyone?

The same problem happens in B5 and B5++. Firefox 7.0.1 does not have the problem in itself--but that is a custom version that TOR is using. The previous version of TOR using FF 6.0.1 had the same problem in B5 andB5++. I even checked the previous 1.x version of Tor-browser bundle and it had the same problem.

jim3630

#145 Post by jim3630 »

tried the tor pet on B5++ and initially it connected but opened to about 3/4 screen. clicking to full screen would open to full display then clicking a link it appeared to stall. clicking to change full view to partial revealed the destination page.

tor's version of ff is only that OOB saving cookies is disabled otherwise it's the same iirc.

----
noticed b5++ does not save multi-sound card selection even after reboot and even after closing gnome-mplayer and clicking on another movie need to re-input audio output.

01micko

libs

#146 Post by 01micko »

Hi Sigmund,

I appreciate your lib hunting, however at this late stage I am not changing anything, unless it's a bug.

I have severe unexpected time constraints approaching and I can't spend time on recompiling mplayer, gnome-mplayer and such.

Hopefully a future release can exclude mplayer and offer a full featured version in the repo. At the moment though there is no other program small enough to play DVDs, maybe ffplay will get that capability. Actually, you can play a dvd in ffplay but it's tricky.

BTW, pburn-3.4.1 seems fine to me, no X crashes yet, and IIRC Jim1911 reports success copying a DVD, he didn't mention though if he shrank it.

-

Stripe and DaveS, I reported the lack of unsquashing to Barry, I'm positive it's woof, however I can fix it if it's not. A bit later, not at my machine ATM.

-

Playdayz, thanks for tor package and testing radeon in 5++. I'll package latest JWM soon to see if that is any remedy for FS issues.

-

Indian - sorry mate, haven't got a driver for you yet, stay tuned, I'll PM you when I have one.

-

Charlie, I haven't studied your siliconmotion issue yet, will do today, fix will likely be included.

-

Transmission will likely be dumped from Slickpet in favour of TOR, this has been my idea for awhile and there is a comment in the Slickpet en_US lang file to translate this, LOC_TOR. The transmission on the iso is a tiny older version, it works ok, the one in Slickpet (to be PPM) requires libevent. I'll post this info in the Slickpet translation thread.

Woof is due today or tomorrow. I'll be very busy with Puppy until Friday, maybe Saturday, then I'm out of town (work) for at least 8 days. I might borrow a laptop for this time and get a new 3G modem, (mine is non-working after 4 years :( ).

Cheers :)

jim3630

#147 Post by jim3630 »

had gnome-mplayer paused for ~30-40-min then crashed needing to restart with xwin. noted seg fault report attached.
Attachments
dmesg.txt.gz
(44.96 KiB) Downloaded 213 times

01micko

#148 Post by 01micko »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... -xz-w5.pet

That's the fix for squash.. (appears to be my bad :oops: )

[however.. :!: ]

For woofers..

One thing.. it looks like my bad, however there is a potential woof conflict.. the "name only" fields in Packages-puppy-common official are identical for mksquash4 and mksquash4.2.
squashfs-tools-3.3|squashfs-tools|3.3||BuildingBlock|148K||squashfs-tools-3.3.pet||A compressed read-only filesystem for Linux, for squashfs 3.x filesystems|puppy|4||
squashfs-tools4-4.0-pup4|squashfs-tools4|4.0-pup4||BuildingBlock|176K||squashfs-tools4-4.0-pup4.pet||squashfs utilities|puppy|4||
squashfs-tools4-4.2-gzip-xz-w5|squashfs-tools4|4.2-gzip-xz-w5||BuildingBlock|200K||squashfs-tools4-4.2-gzip-xz-w5.pet|+linux_kernel&ge2.6.39|squashfs utilities, with gzip and xz compression support, use with kernel 2.6.39 or later and with xz support|puppy|wary5||
There is another identically sized package at ibiblio called "squashfs-tools42-4.2-gzip-xz-w5.pet", whose database entry would be unique... [field 2] squashfs-tools42.

{why do we always get back to 42 ?? :?: }

Cheers

MinHundHettePerro

#149 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:{why do we always get back to 42 ?? :?: }
Thus spake DT :wink:
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Stripe

#150 Post by Stripe »

thanks mick

just uncompressed and re-compressed the main sfs without a problem.

42? was that the meaning of life and everything. (hitch hikers guide to the galaxy)

cheers

don

01micko

#151 Post by 01micko »

-

In other unrelated news...

jim3630.. looks like jwm segfaulted for you bringing down X, (as it will).

Attached is the latest jwm-508 revision from Joe.. (PS, I need to tell him that Slacko runs on Macs :wink: )
Attachments
jwm-508-s-i486.pet
(144.49 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

playdayz

#152 Post by playdayz »

clicking to full screen would open to full display then clicking a link it appeared to stall. clicking to change full view to partial revealed the destination page.

tor's version of ff is only that OOB saving cookies is disabled otherwise it's the same iirc.
Yes jim3630, that is a bug and I can't figure it out. It doesn't happen with the exact same pets in Lucid, and it does happen even with older versions of tor in slacko.

The FF 7.0.1 in Tor is also configured for vidalia--in my experience it is a pain to configure vidalia and so I think the tor-browser bundle is a good thing for most users--if we can figure out the full screen business. I'll try the jwm 01micko just posted, maybe....

01micko

#153 Post by 01micko »

playdayz.. you can get openbox/fbpanel fully configured for slacko from PPM, thanks to DaveS (one minor issue, top margin is setup for taskbar at top, will fix and reupload soon)

Just click fbpanel (desktop menu) in PPM and open box gets dragged in. :wink:

Maybe that's a fix for TOR?

playdayz

#154 Post by playdayz »

It looks like jwm 508 is a fix for tor. I am using it full screen at the moment.

I installed the pet of jwm 508 and rebooted and tor seems happy.

Stripe

#155 Post by Stripe »

same here, now working full screen after jwm pet installed :lol:

cheers

don