How to switch keyboard keys?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
azpcy

How to switch keyboard keys?

#1 Post by azpcy »

I booted Puppy from a CD (new), desktop is fine, but several keyboard keys are switched. P is Z and reverse, also @ key is not available. Suggestions appreciated.
azpcy

MU

#2 Post by MU »

In the setup-menu there is a keyboard-wizard.
The alt-key might need a fix, but try the wizard first.
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... ght=altkey
Mark

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

That reminds me, since this is the 'Hardware' section, in principle, any key can, of course, be remapped both in HW (but rewiring can be difficult) or SW. For those of us engaged in recycling really old and s/h kit, this is often useful if a key is missing, non-functional or the membrane is dirty and one can't be bothered to strip the beast and wipe the layers over with switch-cleaner pads or silver paint any breaks. Remapping may be the only option for those old IBM k/b s which fall apart into a thousand pieces when opened - I know, I found out the hard way!
Just for the record, non-membrane k/b are best put through the dishwasher and left upside down in the sun to drain and dry. Indeed, most modern electronics can be cleaned up in this way; monitors require a hosing down, though, as they won't fit into most d/w s unless the board is completely removed, which is overly tedious.
For those experiencing the k/b language selection issue like azpcy, it becomes absolutely essential to identify your country location. It is my view that John should insist on this info being displayed for everyone, simply because it is so helpful in offering assistance, not just of a regional nature.