Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 04:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Customisation of SCIM-m17n - keyboard mapping
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Abdurazak

PostPosted: Sat 24 Sep 2011, 11:32    Post subject:  Customisation of SCIM-m17n - keyboard mapping  

In SCIM-m17n, we are forced to use the built in key map which is difficult to follow by those who are used to a different key map. This is not a problem in Google transliteration, because there is provision to customise key mapping. Is there such a facility in SCIM or Puppy Linux ?
Abdurazak

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2011, 15:14    Post subject: Customisation of SCIM-m17n [solved]  

Veejay in his posting http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1598196266&t=63263 gives a method for customisation which seems similar to Google's method and is briefly described below.

1. Create the .mim file.
Here is a tutorial for creating .mim file http://www.m17n.org/common/m17n-docs-en/m17nDBTutorial.html. It can also be created by editing an existing file. This mim file is similar to Google's Scheme file

2. Install the following pets
scim-1.4.9-i486.pet
scim-bridge-0.4.16.-i486.pet
scim-tables-0.59-i486.pet (Optional)
scim-m17n-0.2.3-i486.pet
m17n-db-1.5.5-i486.pet
m17n-lib-1.5.5-i486.pet

3. copy the mim filt to /usr/share/m17n

4. Restart X. The method is ready.

The problem is solved
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2011, 17:15    Post subject:  

What is SCIM? I think I've seen it before, but I wasn't paying attention. Embarassed
veejay

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2011, 00:40    Post subject:  

Hai Flash,

In simply saying, SCIM is a interface for typing various languages with various type of keyboard mapping.

Look: http://www.scim-im.org/about/why_scima

thanks & regards
Veejay
Abdurazak

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2011, 02:07    Post subject: A short description of SCIM  

I am also in search of a good tutorial on SCIM. Unfortunately, I have not found it yet. However what ever little I know is given below.

SCIM stands for Smart Common Input Method. It is used in Linux and some other operating systems to simplify the method of using languages other than English. The usual QWERTY keyboard is not sufficient to contain all the characters in many languages. In that case more that one key will have to be used for getting a single character. SCIM enables us to specify the desired sequence of keys for the characters in the language. In key sequence, a key in the QWERTY keyboard, is denoted by the corresponding type face. The correspondence between key sequence and the character is given in a table called SCIM table. SCIM tables have already been made for many languages and these are installed along with SCIM. In puppy, SCIM requires scim-1.4.9-i486.pet, scim-bridge-0.4.16.-i486.pet and scim-tables-0.5.9-i486.pet. After installing these, open the application such as Abiword and press Control and space. SCIM icon appears at the bottom right corner from which choose the language and start typing in that language. To stop SCIM press Control and space again.
Abdurazak

PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct 2011, 15:06    Post subject:  

A CUSTOMISABLE INPUT METHOD FOR MALAYALAM

Malayalam is the language of the Indian state of Kerala. To use the method, SCIM and M17n must be installed. This method has been tested in in Puppy 5.28 using Unicode Malayalam font Rachana.ttf down loaded from http://sites.google.com/site/fontpacksite/malayalam-fonts/Rachana_04.ttf?attredirects=0 to the directory /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF.

Now open NicoEdit text editor (menu>document>NicoEdit text editor) and copy the portion marked in red below to the blank file opened and save it as ml_maleng_dt.mim in /usr/share/m17n/ and restart X.

(input-method ml maleng_dt) (description (_ "Malayalam Direct Typing"))
(title "maleng_dt") (map

(letters
("k" "ക") ("kh" "ഖ") ("g" "ഗ") ("gh" "ഘ") ("ng" "ങ")
("ch" "ച") ("chh" "ഛ") ("j" "ജ") ("jh" "ഝ") ("thdh" "ഝ")
("nh" "ഞ") ("nj" "ഞ്ച") ("d" "ട") ("dt" "ഠ") ("D" "ഡ")
("Dh" "ഢ") ("N" "ണ") ("th" "ത") ("thh" "ഥ") ("Th" "ദ")
("dh" "ധ") ("n" "ന") ("p" "പ") ("f" "ഫ") ("ph" "ഫ")
("b" "ബ") ("bh" "ഭ") ("m" "മ") ("y" "യ") ("R" "ര")
("r" "റ") ("l" "ല") ("L" "ള") ("zh" "ഴ") ("v" "വ")
("S" "ശ") ("sh" "ഷ") ("s" "സ") ("h" "ഹ") ("rv" "ർവ")
("x" "ക്ഷ") ("nk" "ങ്ക") ("G" "ങ്ങ") ("c" "ച്ച") ("X" "ച്ഛ")
("nch" "ഞ്ച") ("H" "ഞ്ഞ") ("tt" "ട്ട") ("nd" "ണ്ട") ("ND" "ണ്ഡ")
("NN" "ണ്ണ") ("Nm" "ണ്മ") ("q" "ത്ത") ("T" "ത്ഥ") ("B" "ത്ഭ")
("P" "ദ്ദ") ("Q" "ദ്ധ") ("nth" "ന്ത") ("W" "ന്ഥ") ("V" "ന്ദ")
("ndh" "ന്ധ") ("nn" "ന്ന") ("nm" "ന്മ") ("nt" "ന്റ") ("mp" "മ്പ")
("mm" "മ്മ") ("t" "റ്റ") ("ll" "ല്ല") ("LL" "ള്ള") ("vv" "വ്വ")
("C" "ശ്ച") ("z" "സ്ഥ") ("rvv" "ർവ്വ") ("kk" "ക്ക") ("pp" "പ്പ")
("E" "ഏ") ("i" "ഇ") ("O" "ഓ") ("u" "ഉ") ("[" "‌")
("a" "അ") ("e" "എ") ("o" "ഒ") ("M" "ം") ("::" "ഃ")
("aa" "ആ") ("ai" "ഐ") ("ee" "ഈ") ("oo" "ഊ") ("ou" "ഔ")
("N'" "ൺ") ("n'" "ൻ") ("r'" "ർ") ("l'" "ൽ") ("L'" "ൾ")
("K'" "ൿ") ("rr" "ഋ") ("''" "'") ("``" "`") ("[[" "["))

(vowel_signs
("E" "േ") ("i" "ി") ("O" "ോ") ("u" "ു") ("`" "്")
("a" "ാ") ("e" "െ") ("o" "ൊ") ("`r" "ൃ")
("aa" "ാ") ("ai" "ൈ") ("ee" "ീ") ("oo" "ൂ") ("ou" "ൌ")))

(state (init (letters (shift continue)))
(continue (vowel_signs (commit)) (nil (shift init))))

The method will be available as ml-maleng_dt under Malayalam. The input is to be given in the same sequence as we write the language by hand. But there is one difference. Vowel signs are always to be given at the right hand side of the consonant, and it will be correctly placed in the screen. The sequence for a particular key can be identified from the mim file. This file can be edited for customisation. A pair of parentheses may be edited or deleted. Additional pairs can be added if necessary.

To break a key sequence, use the zero width non joiner represented by the left square bracket [. For example if we want the characters represented by n and m, we have to type n[m since nm will give another character.

Some examples are given in the table below. The first column gives name of places or words in English and the second the sequence of keys required to write it in Malayalam and the third gives it in Malayalam. Note that you will require a Unicode Malayalam font for seeing it in Malayalam.

Crescent(ചന്ദ്രക്കല) is represented by `(ASCII 96) and chills(ചില്ലുകൾ)ends with single quote ' (ASCII 39).

Arabic arbik` അറബിക്
Africa aaf`Rikk ആഫ്രിക്ക
Italy itli ഇറ്റലി
Egypt eejip`t` ഈജിപ്റ്റ്
Uganda ugnd ഉഗണ്ട
Ootty ootti ഊട്ടി
Ethyopia eth`yOp`y എത്യോപ്യ
April Ep`Ril' ഏപ്രിൽ
Ottawa ottav ഒട്ടാവ
On ON' ഓൺ
ice land ais` lan'D` ഐസ് ലാൻഡ്
out outt` ഔട്ട്
Greece g`Rees` ഗ്രീസ്
Sumathra sumath`R സുമാത്ര
Europe yoorOp` യൂറോപ്
Cuba k`yoob ക്യൂബ
Korea koriy കൊറിയ
Canada knD കനഡ
Cyprus saip`Rs` സൈപ്രസ്
Kenya ken`y കെന്യ
Page pEj` പേജ്
shout shoutt` ഷൌട്ട്
baharain b[hrain' ബ‌ഹറൈൻ
krshi k`rshi കൃഷി
Sweden s`veeDn' സ്വീഡൻ

Once familiar, you will be convinced that this method is far more powerful than the phonetic method. It is superior to Inscript method also as the keys can be remembered easily. It is a combination of both these methods.

Even if your mother tongue is not Malayalam, you may try this method for your language. Start with replacing the Malayalam characters in the mim file with characters of your language. Soon you will realise the peculiarities of your language and can give the desired keys for each character of your language. Hence you can implement a custom input method.

It will be interesting to compare the mim file with Google scheme file given in the link http://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B5o2AWVVwayQY2M5NzU2NDgtYTlkZC00ODg1LWJjNTMtMjAyYTQ1NDUwNWU3&export=download&authkey=CIn7go8H&hl=en. The size of the Google scheme file could have been reduced drastically had there been a command for combining two classes. Those who know Malayalam may see the link http://maleng-malayalam-typing.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post_12.html also
Abdurazak

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2011, 14:40    Post subject: Customisation of Hindi keyboard
Subject description: a mim file for Hindi is provided

Here is a mim file for Hindi. Save the red portion to a text file called hi-maleng-dt.mim and place it in usr/share/m17n/ and ua Unicode hindi font in /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/. Restart X and the input method is available under Hindi as hi-maleng-dt.mim. For details see the Malayalam input method above.

(input-method hi maleng_dt) (description (_ "Hindi Direct Typing"))
(title "Hindi_dt") (map

(letters
("k" "क") ("kh" "ख") ("g" "ग") ("gh" "घ") ("ng" "ङ")
("ch" "च") ("chh" "छ") ("j" "ज") ("jh" "झ") ("nh" "ञ")
("nj" "ञ्च") ("d" "ड") ("dt" "ठ") ("D" "ट") ("Dh" "ढ")
("N" "ण") ("th" "त") ("thh" "थ") ("Th" "द") ("dh" "ध")
("n" "न") ("p" "प") ("f" "फ़") ("ph" "फ") ("b" "ब")
("bh" "भ") ("m" "म") ("y" "य") ("r" "र") ("l" "ल")
("L" "ळ") ("v" "व") ("S" "श") ("sh" "ष") ("s" "स")
("h" "ह") ("x" "क्ष") ("nk" "न्क") ("c" "च्च") ("X" "च्छ")
("nch" "ञ्च") ("H" "ञ्ञ") ("nd" "ण्ड") ("NN" "ण्ण") ("Nm" "ण्म")
("q" "त्त") ("T" "त्थ") ("B" "त्भ") ("P" "द्द") ("Q" "द्ध")
("nth" "न्त") ("W" "न्थ") ("V" "न्द") ("ndh" "न्ध") ("nn" "न्न")
("nm" "न्म") ("nt" "न्ट") ("mp" "म्प") ("mm" "म्म") ("t" "ट")
("ll" "ल्ल") ("LL" "ळ्ळ") ("vv" "व्व") ("C" "श्च") ("z" "स्थ")
("kk" "क्क") ("pp" "प्प") ("E" "ऐ") ("i" "इ") ("O" "ओ")
("u" "उ") ("[" "‌") ("a" "अ") ("e" "ए") ("o" "ओ")
("M" "ं") ("::" "ः") ("aa" "आ") ("ai" "ऐ") ("ee" "ई")
("oo" "ऊ") ("ou" "औ") ("rr" "ऋ") ("``" "`") ("[[" "[")
("I" "।") ("oh" "ऒ") ("Z" "ज़") ("Oms" "ॐ") ("K" "क़")
("Kh'" "ख़") ("Gh" "ग़") ("Dh" "ड़") ("Dhh" "ढ़") ("Y" "य़")
("tt" "ट्ट") )

(vowel_signs
("E" "े") ("i" "ि") ("O" "ो") ("u" "ु") ("`" "्")
("a" "ा") ("e" "े") ("o" "ो") ("R" "ृ") ("aa" "ा")
("ai" "ै") ("ee" "ी") ("oo" "ू") ("ou" "ौ")))

Examples

English Keys Hindi
-------------------------------------------
Arabic arbik अरबिक
Africa aaf`rikka आफ़्रिक्का
Italy itli इटलि
Egypt eejip`t ईजिप्ट
Uganda ugnda उगण्डा
Ootty ootti ऊट्टि
Ethyopia eth`yOp`ya एत्योप्या
April Ep`ril ऐप्रिल
Ottawa ottava ओट्टावा
On ON ओण
ice land ais` land ऐस्लाण्ड
out outt औट्ट
Greece g`rees ग्रीस
Sumathra sumath`ra सुमात्रा
Europe yoorOp यूरोप
Cuba k`yooba क्यूबा
Korea koriya कोरिया
Canada kn[da कन‌डा
Cyprus saip`rs सैप्रस
Kenya ken`ya केन्या
Page pEj पेज
shout shoutt षौट्ट
baharain b[h[rain ब‌ह‌रैन
krshi kRshi कृषि
Sweden s`veedn स्वीडन
-----------------------------------------
Abdurazak

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:03    Post subject: Customisation of Tamil keyboard
Subject description: Tamil mim file is given

Here is a mim file for Tamil. Save the red portion to a text file called ta-maleng-dt.mim and place it in usr/share/m17n/ and a Unicode Tamil font in /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/. Restart X and the input method is available under Tamil as ta-maleng-dt. For details see the Malayalam input method above.

(input-method ta maleng_dt) (description (_ "Tamil Direct Typing"))
(title "maleng_dt") (map

(letters
("k" "க") ("ng" "ங") ("ch" "ச") ("j" "ஜ") ("nh" "ஞ") ("nj" "ஞ்ச") ("d" "ட") ("N" "ண") ("th" "த")
("n" "ன") ("p" "ப") ("m" "ம") ("y" "ய") ("r" "ர") ("R" "ற") ("l" "ல") ("L" "ள") ("zh" "ழ") ("v" "வ")
("sh" "ஷ") ("s" "ஸ") ("h" "ஹ") ("x" "க்ஷ") ("nk" "ன்க") ("c" "ச்ச") ("nch" "ஞ்ச") ("H" "ஞ்ஞ")
("tt" "ட்ட") ("nd" "ண்ட") ("NN" "ண்ண") ("q" "த்த") ("nth" "ன்த") ("sri" "ஸ்ரீ") ("nn" "ன்ன")
("nm" "ன்ம") ("nt" "ன்ற") ("mp" "ம்ப") ("mm" "ம்ம") ("ll" "ல்ல") ("LL" "ள்ள") ("vv" "வ்வ") ("kk" "க்க")
("pp" "ப்ப") ("E" "ஏ") ("i" "இ") ("O" "ஓ") ("u" "உ") ("[" "‌") ("a" "அ") ("e" "எ") ("o" "ஒ") ("aa" "ஆ")
("ai" "ஐ") ("ee" "ஈ") ("oo" "ஊ") ("ou" "ஔ") ("``" "`") ("[[" "[") ("t" "ற்ற") ("::" "ஃ"))

(vowel_signs
("E" "ே") ("i" "ி") ("O" "ோ") ("u" "ு") ("`" "்") ("a" "ா") ("e" "ெ")
("o" "ொ") ("aa" "ா") ("ai" "ை") ("ee" "ீ") ("oo" "ூ") ("ou" "ௌ")))

Examples : Examples are separated by commas and given in the order English, keys and Tamil

America amerikka அமெரிக்கா, Africa aap`rika ஆப்ரிகா, Iran iran` இரான், Egypt eejip`d`ஈஜிப்ட், Ukraine uk`rain` உக்ரைன், Ootty ootti ஊற்றி, Eskimo es`kimO எஸ்கிமோ, April Ep`ril` ஏப்ரில், Ottawa ottava ஒட்டாவா, On ON` ஓண், ice ais` ஐஸ், out outt` ஔட்ட், Kiev keev` கீவ், kuwait kuvaith` குவைத், Europe yoorOp` யூரோப், Korea koriya கொரியா, Canada kn[da கன‌டா, Cyprus saip`rs` ஸைப்ரஸ், Kenya ken`ya கென்யா, Page pEj` பேஜ், South south` ஸௌத், Mummy m[mmi ம‌ம்மி, Jeep jeep` ஜீப்
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: