Slacko B4

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#61 Post by 01micko »

ok aarf, thanks for pulling me up on chasing that wild goose..

Now I'm stumped :? Maybe try Barry's new busybox pet

link removed

You'll probably need a reboot.. Slacko does that well :roll:

NOOOOOOOO! that was a disaster :lol:

note to self ... next woof check which busybox downloads
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 05:51, edited 3 times in total.

James C

#62 Post by James C »

FWIW, no shutdown or reboot problems on my 2 frugal installs.They both reboot or shutdown correctly.Wired dsl.

James C

#63 Post by James C »

Slacko 4.99.6 live pfix=ram on another box.Once again,everything working ootb.

VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 4.99.6

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nv

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "" Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 2854MB (160MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 24 Sep 2011 12:39:20 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1368x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

Audio device : nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio
Bridge : nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a]

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 2854792 445536 2409256 0 58364
Swap: 0 0 0
Total: 2854792 445536 2409256
Attachments
Slacko B4.png
(17.45 KiB) Downloaded 918 times

zigbert

#64 Post by zigbert »

Pburn freezes for me

Code: Select all

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 4.99.6

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G86 Board - p419h01 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nv

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "1920x1080
1280x800"  Depth: Depth 24

Sigmund

zigbert

#65 Post by zigbert »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:In Pmusic, there's no progress bar when I'm playing some music; the status line just keeps saying "Buffering . . . Please wait."
This will be the result if ffmpeg are not pleased with the format. It troubles with recognition, but plays the shit anyway. We are now using ffmpeg 0.8 which is a bit different than the good old 0.6. - and yes, there has been some issues with ffmpeg. They have already shipped 0.8.4 while Slacko has 0.8.2.

Sigmund

zigbert

#66 Post by zigbert »

The new gtk-theme doesn't cooperate well when using unique gtk-themes for an application. It doesn't allow the progressbar theme to be overwritten.
The attached pics shows progressbar for Pmusic and Pburn

The 23oz theme looks like this....

...while Flat-grey-rounded looks like this

zigbert

#67 Post by zigbert »

Pmusic is updated with new fixes

charlie6

#68 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Mick,
here on Brookdale rev01, fresh live-cd boot:
... again stripped lines and black screen after restarting X as on earlier slackos;
lsmod tells i915 loaded;

Should one get specific brookdalers messages while booting up? didn't got any here.

ps: me glad reading MHHP got his Brkdale running :-)

cheers, charlie

01micko

#69 Post by 01micko »

charlie6 wrote:Hi Mick,
here on Brookdale rev01, fresh live-cd boot:
... again stripped lines and black screen after restarting X as on earlier slackos;
lsmod tells i915 loaded;

Should one get specific brookdalers messages while booting up? didn't got any here.

ps: me glad reading MHHP got his Brkdale running :-)

cheers, charlie
yeah Charlie, the test is wrong, will be fixed next time, it's an add on to xorgwizard, I can send a patch if you want.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#70 Post by 01micko »

Pmusic, got it Sigmund :wink:

Compiling ffmpeg now :wink:

We go back to Stardust as default gtk-threme? looks nice with the blue jwm :wink:

davids45

#71 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
What proggy are you using to connect, are you using wireless? I think this is the root of the shutdown issue. It only surfaced in B3
Now that you mention it, I just checked the Frugal & Full B3s on this desktop and they too reboot when I try "Power-off computer" via either the "Menu" (bottom left) or a right-click Menu option. (Just hadn't noticed before :oops: )
The black-screen text displayed as Slacko closes is that I'm getting a re-boot not a shut-down (again, hadn't noticed before - just me being slack too).
I'm letting Slacko do the connection automatically and it's only wired (just eth0) on this computer.

Only have a Frugal B2 left (wiped the Full B2 for the Full B4) but just tested and B2 shuts down as expected.

David S.

James C

#72 Post by James C »

Almost 11 hours uptime on the frugal install on the Athlon XP box....... still looking good.
Attachments
Slacko uptime.png
(20.18 KiB) Downloaded 751 times

mavrothal

#73 Post by mavrothal »

A couple of little issues with b4 and an older one.

Booting from a vfat USB and choosing to shutdown without saving on first boot, results in reboot instead of shutdown. This was not the case in b3 and happens both fom the GUI or console (no X) shutdown.
I guess has something to do with the new shutdown process.
Looks like a woof issue.
This is in SlaXO (OLPX XO laptops). Does anyone sees this on a "normal" machine with the unmodified b4?

The second issue is showing in the conn_wiz picture. Would be nice if the window had the full width without the need for a horizontal scroll bar. This is because the window does not scale when a higher Xft.dpi is used. In this case is 108. Clipping starts at Xft.dpi=96.
Scaling is important in high resolution screens where default fonts may look too small.
I guess this is a missing gtkdialog feature :wink:

The 3dr one is an old one (and maybe reported and I missed it). The setup desktop icon is taller than the rest so does not align properly. This independent of Xtd.dpi and/or screen resolution.
Other icon themes align properly
Attachments
setup.jpg
Miss-aligne setup desktop icon
(26.62 KiB) Downloaded 852 times
conn_wiz.jpg
Narrow connection wizard window
(71 KiB) Downloaded 769 times
Last edited by mavrothal on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 09:58, edited 2 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

pemasu

#74 Post by pemasu »

01micko. To confirm kernel related touchpad problems and working ones.

Code: Select all

CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ALPS=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_LOGIPS2PP=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_LIFEBOOK=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_TRACKPOINT=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SENTELIC=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_TOUCHKIT=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_MOUSE_APPLETOUCH=m
CONFIG_MOUSE_BCM5974=m
Above is the reason I have made my tests. Kernel module drivers participate to the behavior of touchpad. In my Acer 5820TG 2.6.33.2 and even 2.6.35.7 ( Snow Puppy ) has that hypersensitivity problem. Some Barrys builds with some kernel ( I dont remember which versions ) had the same slow movement problem, yes.... it was quirky something.

In 2.6.35.7 Lucid Puppy my disable touchpad when writing fixed the hypersensitivity by syndaemon commands.

About the fix: 2.6.38.3 - 2.6.38.4, 2.6.39.3 - 2.6.39.4 dont have those problems.
Remember that my core Ubuntu packages have been the same in all my builds. I havent included those Maverick - Natty - Oneiric packages much. I have jumped out of the boat with my builds in about Lucid Puppy 5.1 time. I have though included synclient and syndaemon from Oneiric though and in Dpup from wheezy because they work better. The options worked flawlessly with newer versions. But....the kernel made the fundamental difference. That is one reason I havent updated Snow Puppy with 2.6.35.7, it just dont behave best with my laptop touchpad.

Above just for somekind confirmation, that kernel makes the differerence...

About Slacko, no...I havent build it with woof with freshly compiled kernel to find out would it fix the touchpad problem. I just havent had time and energy to do that, but who knows....

The cave out: Different Xorg versions have probably big SAY of the touchpad behavior, maybe even Flsynclient workability affects, dont know.

But...if you are gonna do kernel update test version, I will test it and report.....
I think that it is worth the try. Barrys DOTconfig-2.6.39.4 does not have bluetooth modules enabled...by the way. But it has vgaswitcheroo - debugfs enabled for dual graphics switching. Also you get that new broadcom driver jim3630 has been stubbornly speaking of. You get rid of his complaints also... :D
I said the latter positively, no hard feelings behind. Dont take me wrong. Lol.
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 09:03, edited 3 times in total.

charlie6

#75 Post by charlie6 »

Thanks Mick,
01micko wrote:yeah Charlie, the test is wrong, will be fixed next time, it's an add on to xorgwizard, I can send a patch if you want.
No hurry ! me can wait until next time !
charlie

01micko

#76 Post by 01micko »

Charlie, you can do it manually anyway, drop to the prompt and run xorgwizard, then before you type xwin run "BROOKDALE" (caps, no quotes.) :) run xwin and all is happy in Brookdale virtual land.

peebee

#77 Post by peebee »

Hi Mick

Pristine manual frugal install on my HP550.

Looking good - network via Frisbee (thanks) is good, sound is good, pnethood is good, remote smbc printing is good, touchpad is slow on first boot but I can set it to acceptable speed etc. without your extra bit.

Shutdown works fine for me.

Added acpitool and pupcontrol to get suspend - works fine. Pupcontrol would be a useful permanent addition I think.

Small comment on the new pupsave gui - the selection display is so subtly different to the un-selected that it is difficult to know you have selected the desired setting - and it is very yellow!!

I thought you had posted a packaged smplayer but can't find it in the repo - did it ever get uploaded? (I still need a different player for dvb-t).

Cheers & congrats
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#78 Post by pemasu »

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_pac ... 9-i686.pet

I usually search straight from the repo. You can be sure that you see what there are.

Jades

#79 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:Jades, I might compile ffmpeg/mplayer i486 and put them in the repo
Thanks, I appreciate that. For the vast majority of people the i686 version is probably best, no sense in holding everyone else back. It's only Wary where the default version needs to be i486-compatible.
01micko wrote:my bad about mesa, works ok from PPM.
Didn't think of checking Mesa, so used to using Xorg-High on Lupu. The recommendation in Slickpet should probably be changed if Mesa has replaced Xorg-High. Which package is the one you're referring to? There seems to be more than one.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

01micko

#80 Post by 01micko »

Jades

Yep, that was a legacy thing with xorg_high, fixed.. check this ..
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... i486-s.pet

for the rest
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... i686-s.pet

Peebee, yep smplayer is certainly there, but as I said I have to build a package with deps so it doesn't drag in the huge qt unless of course you want it :wink:

Later.. ok I got round to packageing and uploading smplayer and umplayer standalone, they wont conflict if you install qt-everywhere

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 9-i686.pet 7.4M

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 7-i486.pet 8.9M

-

mavrothal
mavrothal wrote: The second issue is showing in the conn_wiz picture. Would be nice if the window had the full width without the need for a horizontal scroll bar.
this is fixed .. there is a test for vertical screen size, if lesss than 600 you get the scroll bars, same with some other guis

Also that icon issue is weird, I'll find a different icon.. I just can't line it up :roll:

Thanks for heads up about bluetooth pemasu, lucky I didn't start yet :P , I also got the good oil from tempestuous about scsi and new broadcom stuff.
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.