Slacko B4

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#31 Post by Lobster »

In Seamonkey I was answering a google+ message.
Seamonkey crashed. Any combination of tabs - including none and restore and it still crashed. Downloaded and installed Firefox 6. That crashed too.

. . . now if I was cynical I would have loaded Chrome Browser and expect that to work - surely that would be evil . . .
Just reporting . . .

When you install 'Cloud' it appears on top of 'plan' icon
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Jades

#32 Post by Jades »

I've realised that I may be coming across as a little negative about Slacko, for which I apologise. While the wireless thing is a concern, the rest of the distro is looking pretty solid. I particularly like the fact you've included up-to-the-minute applications with it, particularly Abiword and Gnumeric. Playdayz could be a little conservative sometimes (in some cases with good reason) about which versions went in to Luci and Lupu test builds.

It's also been interesting trying it on the K6. The most obvious non-working thing I've encountered is playing MP3s through apps which depend on ffmpeg (which is currently i686 only in all of the recent Woof-built Puppies). Other than that things seem to work quite well. In the longer term Wary is probably the Puppy for that machine, but I've enjoyed trying other versions on it.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

majorfoo

Slacko B4

#33 Post by majorfoo »

Full install to ext 4 partition

zero problems - everything works OTB

Added a number of pets from Lucid and all work well

Looks like a keeper to me.

majorfoo
Attachments
Slacko B4.png
(69.39 KiB) Downloaded 1494 times

playdayz

#34 Post by playdayz »

I did 3 boots fresh and then created a savefile and did 3 more boots. This was on a Phenom 9850 and Asrock motherboard--about 2 years old. Measured with Hardinfo.
Attachments
mem_stats.png
(14.16 KiB) Downloaded 1631 times

playdayz

#35 Post by playdayz »

. . now if I was cynical I would have loaded Chrome Browser
Chromium-16 works just fine for me Lobster ;-)
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/chrom ... slacko.pet
It was tested in B2 and now B4. Oh, I get it now, but Chromium does work :oops:

01micko

#36 Post by 01micko »

sszindian wrote:First run... Select PROBE from menu for screen resolution... select 1440x900... screen comes up with 1024x1024 size, Hmmm.
That's weird.. I have a very similar SiS chip and it uses the correct driver, I'm hooked up to an old 17" crt, I get 11280x1024 with no issue, what monitor do you have? I wonder if we booted direct to desktop if Xorg would pick it right? Sorry indian :(
aarf wrote:can't get to the bottom of this screen to select something to create pupsave.
can just hit return and it defaults to whatever.
That's sad too :( , but I can fix it :wink: BTW, Ty for delta, I was going to ship one today.

-

Jades, I might compile ffmpeg/mplayer i486 and put them in the repo, my bad about mesa, works ok from PPM.

-
jpeps (from B3 thread) wrote:re ram useage: seems to be stable after I switching off weather-station widget; don't think there's any issue with the kernel config. I compared loading firefox (my copy) and logging onto gmail with lucid 5.2.5 with dog:
Dog actually did better with 213156K vs 253156K used (thats just for the browser!). Want to know why I use Dillo and Links?
Do we consider your issue closed then? Thanks for report.
Stripe wrote:when you 1st open ppm the slacko button is highlighted but it shows the page from slackware 13.37 official, if you swap to another repo and then back to slacko it corrects itself until you open the ppm again.
I think that's a general PPM bug in all pups. I can disable the Slackware/Salix/Slacky repos and that kind of fixes it, but then a user would need to find out how to enable new repos.. maybe a tooltip in the help. That bug has peeved me for ages, there is a better solution. I'm onto it :wink: .
JonT wrote:Frugal install of B4. Ran into some Brookdale effects, but found out why; the word “Brookdale" does not appear in my tmp/ddcprobe.txt (first few lines shown below) to trigger the fix. It does appear in the output of lspci, only place I know of. [snip]...
lsynclient-wrapper also works! The action might be clearer if the “Is your touchpad Ok?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jpeps

#37 Post by jpeps »

01micko wrote:
jpeps (from B3 thread) wrote:re ram useage: seems to be stable after I switching off weather-station widget; don't think there's any issue with the kernel config. I compared loading firefox (my copy) and logging onto gmail with lucid 5.2.5 with dog:
Dog actually did better with 213156K vs 253156K used (thats just for the browser!). Want to know why I use Dillo and Links?
Do we consider your issue closed then? Thanks for report.
Yeah...both dog and slacko have been stable since turning off weather-station. I've got a switch on my task bar for when I need a wind check (for windsurfing).

Personally, I think slacko needs more base libs. I've had to add libs now for just about everything....vim, links, Notecase, rdesktop... This isn't really a small derivative , so might as well make it more publicly useable.

Here's libs for rdesktop:

usr/lib/libsamplerate.so
usr/lib/libsamplerate.so.0
usr/lib/libsamplerate.so.0.1.7
usr/lib/libao.so.2
usr/lib/libao.so.2.1.3

jim3630

#38 Post by jim3630 »

b4 manual frugal install to ext4. pfix=ram. continue unable to wifi connect with sns and connection wizard after installing broadcom wl.ko spup pet. installed frisbee from the menu acquired wifi configured and made connection without issue. Nice to see frisbee readily available. sm from menu and my Nightly firefox used without issue and all survived reboot x1.

sszindian

Bata-4

#39 Post by sszindian »

01micko wrote:

That's weird.. I have a very similar SiS chip and it uses the correct driver, I'm hooked up to an old 17" crt, I get 11280x1024 with no issue, what monitor do you have? I wonder if we booted direct to desktop if Xorg would pick it right? Sorry indian
-------------------------------------------------------

I'm running a Gateway 19" Widescreen 1440x900 - Inputs DVI VGA, Contrast Ratio 1000:1
My concern is that possibly others are using my same setup and will experience the same problem... What I can't understand is why all the other puppy's don't have a problem with getting the correct resolution, just the slacko series, Spup (99 & 100) didn't have a problem with my setup and I haven't changed anything, in fact just booted Spup and it was just perfect so doubt any type of boot will make the differance... don't know?

EDIT: One thing forgot to mention, Icons (top row) are only 'Half-Visible' top of them are off the screen somewhere?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

01micko

#40 Post by 01micko »

jim3630 wrote:b4 manual frugal install to ext4. pfix=ram. continue unable to wifi connect with sns and connection wizard after installing broadcom wl.ko spup pet. installed frisbee from the menu acquired wifi configured and made connection without issue. Nice to see frisbee readily available. sm from menu and my Nightly firefox used without issue and all survived reboot x1.
Still need wl driver eh? The firmware you requested is in there... so it fails? If so I'll remove for B5/RC1, thanks for report
-

Indian... maybe I'll compile the driver from spup-100, it's definitely a driver issue.

Cheers

pa_mcclamrock

#41 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

OK, I'm using SeaMonkey on Slacko B4 to send this message. Internet connection (Ethernet + router) works automatically, so does sound, printing with AbiWord is no problem. On reflection, I do like having SeaMonkey all ready to go, instead of having to download a browser (other than Dillo or some such thing) before getting to use it. Aside from a couple of bugs that need to be squashed, this looks like an excellent example of how much can be done in the "Puppy 4.x extended" line. (I like Lucid 5.2.8 a lot, but I never did understand why Ubuntu was supposed to provide a better basis for a Puppy build than good old Slackware.)

Here are the two bugs I've found:

When I clicked the Desktop Icon Switcher menu item, I did get the icon switcher, but I also got both the "Personalize Settings" and "Network Connection Wizard" boxes, which I hadn't requested.

In Pmusic, there's no progress bar when I'm playing some music; the status line just keeps saying "Buffering . . . Please wait." I don't know if this version of Pmusic does this everywhere or only in Slacko for some reason, but the versions of Pmusic I used to use did have a progress bar that gave actual information about the playing time.

Squash those bugs, and keep up the good work!
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

01micko

#42 Post by 01micko »

Thanks for report Pa, good to have you aboard :)
pa_mcclamrock wrote:When I clicked the Desktop Icon Switcher menu item, I did get the icon switcher, but I also got both the "Personalize Settings" and "Network Connection Wizard" boxes, which I hadn't requested.
Hmmm.. I can't reproduce that one.. anybody else see that? Please test.

Pmusic is a different animal now. I'm sure Zigbert will see your report and offer an explanation. It is in heavy development.. did you notice the equalizer? :)

Cheers

James C

#43 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:Thanks for report Pa, good to have you aboard :)
pa_mcclamrock wrote:When I clicked the Desktop Icon Switcher menu item, I did get the icon switcher, but I also got both the "Personalize Settings" and "Network Connection Wizard" boxes, which I hadn't requested.
Hmmm.. I can't reproduce that one.. anybody else see that? Please test.

Pmusic is a different animal now. I'm sure Zigbert will see your report and offer an explanation. It is in heavy development.. did you notice the equalizer? :)

Cheers
Just completed a second frugal install, switched icons in both installs.......no problems here.

James C

#44 Post by James C »

Second frugal install on my Windows 7, PCLOS 2011,Lucid box......actually used the installer this time.
Everything working on initial boot.No problems so far.

# report-video

VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 4.99.6

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G98 Board - 5610002u Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: " 1440x900 " Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# glxgears
11582 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2316.400 FPS
11592 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2318.400 FPS
11856 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2371.200 FPS
11546 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2309.200 FPS
11750 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2350.000 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 1034MB (160MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 23 Sep 2011 08:25:18 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

Ethernet controller : ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100
Multimedia audio controller : C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS]

jim3630

#45 Post by jim3630 »

01micko wrote:
Still need wl driver eh? The firmware you requested is in there... so it fails? If so I'll remove for B5/RC1, thanks for report
01mick0 if brcmsmac and brcmfmac drivers are in that woof it needs to be enabled during kernel compiling time. It resides in staging drivers section and compilers dont notice it easily so I have been told.

If those drivers are not in the kernel then the firmware pet will only help those who have the brcmsmac or brcmfmac driver pet which I do not.

Yes I'm still using the wl pet for now,.

Have looked and can't find a Xorg_High pet for my intel graphics card. the one for 529 did not work here.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#46 Post by BarryK »

aarf wrote:can't get to the bottom of this screen to select something to create pupsave.
Ah, you have a 600 pixel high screen. Ok, I will have to try and fix some of the shutdown GUI windows to fit into that height.

Gtkdialog4 now has support for vertical or horizontal scrollbars if window or a widget needs to be size-constrained. I'll look into that.

Note to 01micko,
You are brave not having gtkdialog3 in Slacko!
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

01micko

#47 Post by 01micko »

jim3630 wrote:
01micko wrote:
01mick0 if brcmsmac and brcmfmac drivers are in that woof it needs to be enabled during kernel compiling time. It resides in staging drivers section and compilers dont notice it easily so I have been told.

If those drivers are not in the kernel then the firmware pet will only help those who have the brcmsmac or brcmfmac driver pet which I do not.

Yes I'm still using the wl pet for now,.

Have looked and can't find a Xorg_High pet for my intel graphics card. the one for 529 did not work here.
Ok, got it, thanks :wink:

Xorg_High=Mesa in Slacko. It was supposed to work in Slickpet [ :oops: ].. however it does work in PPM.. go to PPM, puppy-slacko > system > mesa-7.10.2-s, about 21M

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

erm.. forum traffic jam!

double post, removed by me
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#49 Post by aarf »

BarryK wrote:
Ah, you have a 600 pixel high screen. Ok, I will have to try and fix some of the shutdown GUI windows to fit into that height.
480 pixels high?
Attachments
480.jpg
(50.92 KiB) Downloaded 808 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#50 Post by BarryK »

pemasu wrote:Xf-prot fails in downloading: error expanding fp-Linux-i686-ws.tar.gz. Aborting.
Does it expect savefile to be created first ? Or maybe the connection and download just failed, the message flickers too quick for me, like most things in my life.
See my report on Xfprot here:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02493

Avast! is an alternative:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02494
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]