Slacko B4

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jpeps

#166 Post by jpeps »

jpeps wrote:o1micko,

Not to belabor this, but I'm wondering if you have any insights on the defaultbrowser issue mentioned earlier. Something is different with slacko.
If I load pfix=ram & install notecase-pro, clicking on links or their "go to home" link doesn't work correctly. The same pet works correctly in Dog, Lucid, etc., so the issue appears unique to slacko.
Okay..if I insert into /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser

Code: Select all

rxvt -hold -e echo -e "$@" 
Nothing in slacko, but in Dog:

http://www.notecasepro.com
Other than that, it's reading the browser...just not the args.

davids45

#167 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Just to add a little to the Reboot - Shut-down saga.
01micko commented that Barry's tinkering with the first shut-down script may have created the problem. This may be right as I just tried my racya1 frugal on this desktop and it too reboots when a power-off was chosen from the shut-down menu. Wary-5.1.4 is fine.

This shut-down problem happens after I have set up my save files, and happens with full installs. Maybe trying to fix the initial shut-down has created a minor bug in the later shut-downs for certain computers?

But I think racya1 also has a problem with the radeon driver on my computer because I don't actually see the shut-down text lines - the monitor goes black when I hit 'power-off the computer' but then starts up again rather than shutting down.

Another poster with the failure to power down slackob4 on his computer said he didn't see the text lines I was seeing with slackob4. So maybe he also has a graphics card/driver problem during shutdown? I have had continuing problems with the Lucid-based Pups this way but not with the Slack pups so the drivers from the parent distributions seem to be not the same.

David S.

01micko

#168 Post by 01micko »

Hi David.. I think the shutdown woes will be over :)

I have the new shutdown config and have reverted the sleep 2 fix.. if you remove the sleep 2 in B4 (/sbin/poweroff) it may fix the issue.. I did a test by switching poweroff and reboot and my machine powered off ok pfix=ram.

-

Abiword is actually looking useful.. and actually I save stuff as odt all the time, so I bet thousands (millions?) do.. my feeling is if we support proprietary we should support foss as much as possible too, that's why I'll make the nvidia nouveau driver more prominent as well.

Originally I set my target at 120M iso.. that got torpedoed when seamonkey 2.2 arrived.. it grew by 5 meg! Now the iso is a chubby 124M

acpid seems to be behaving, I'm tempted to release as RC, but jpeps has his notecase issue.. sorry I can't help much there. Also a new woof is imminent, so I'll release soon B5.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gcmartin

Abiword

#169 Post by gcmartin »

01micko wrote: ...Abiword ....
I haven't tested, but, Abiword (in the past) has paid much more attention to the more frequent changes of DOC/DOCX than they have to the less frequent changes of the open-source ODT.

Further, when saving in ODT, aspect ratios, fonts, boxes, etc would NOT carry over when trying to open in OOo/Libre/GoogleDocs. Whereas, Abiword saving as DOCs would respect those and open properly in OOo/Libre/GoogleDocs.

Looking forward. to testing. in B4

sszindian

SiS Card

#170 Post by sszindian »

Sage wrote:

Possible that ssz has other HW issues because B4 now works with all my SiS video systems.

How could this even be possible when my SiS card totally supports 1440x900 IN EVERY OTHER PUPPY I USE. (Racy-Wary, Drake, Luci-529, Squeeze-499-2, NEXT, Spup-(99 &100) Squeeze-5x5, KDpup, Stardust, Quirky for some of the more recent puppy ones, and Bodhi, LPS, Geexbox, UT-TTYLinux, Free NAS, Tinycore, Joli-OS, PCLinux, Peppermint, Unity, to name but a few of the other linux programs I use (and I use them all) that give me 1440x900 without a problem)... Slacko... ain't cuttin it with my card Sage!!! But if I know 01micko like I think I do, he'll solve it for sure!!!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

01micko

#171 Post by 01micko »

sszindian wrote:But if I know 01micko like I think I do, he'll solve it for sure!!!
Gee... thanks! I'll do what I can :wink:

Now, you say it works in Racy.. if you boot Racy can you please give me the results of the "driver used by Xorg" when you run "report-video"?

I could probably then get the source off Barry and see if it compiles and works in Slacko.

B5

charlie6

#172 Post by charlie6 »

Hallo MHHP ! Thanks!
:shock:
MinHundHettePerro wrote:Hello, charlie6 and fellow Brookdalers :)!
I think we need to identify the least significant denominator ...
A bit more about my Brookdale's ddcprobe.txt file:

# ddcprobe
vbe: VESA 3.0 detected.
oem: Intel(r)845G/845GL/845GE/845GV Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
vendor: Intel Corporation
product: Intel(r)845G/845GL/845GE/845GV Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0
memory: 8000kb
mode: 1280x1024x256
#
If the 'oem:' comment is not common then let us choose 'product:'.
/usr/sbin/xorgwizard scripts line 1498 could be edited as

1498   if grep -F 'product:' /tmp/ddcprobe.txt | grep -i -F -q '845G' ;then
Grep-ing the string generated by

lspci --nn| grep -i vga 
should also seem being a solution.

BTW, how are 'ddcprobe' commented the other Brookdale fellows's trunks? Thanks for any answer !

Charlie

Sage

#173 Post by Sage »

that got torpedoed when seamonkey 2.2 arrived
Someone reported SM2.4 - maybe it was lob? yesterday?
So what do you think will be the consequences?!
I just cannot understand the obsession with SM. Jemimah saw the light and switched to Midori - one respects her vision and abilities as much as yours, mick. Nothing is forever! Although my own preference is for Opera, I expect to pay a size penalty after installing. Surely that's the point? A distribution is just that - a compressed minimal vehicle to kick start any punter before customising?
If you want to win even more friends and influence people, a distro <=100Mb (50Mb would be better!) is in order. Half the US seems to be still on DUN. My friends over there are screaming because of their cr*p phone system and their greedy capitalist owners who are more concerned with lining their pockets than getting their nation connected. Oz has quite a few remote communities, too, not mentioning anyone in particular...

Volhout

B4

#174 Post by Volhout »

Just before I saw the release of B5, I tried B4.

Machine: Athlon64.

Video and audio worked flawless. Ethernet found through SNS. No problems. Only few remark:

- the popup to customize (Xorg / country settings) appeared twice.
- a .DOC opened with Abiword showed strange cubes, like cells of a table. Probably a missing font or w wrong interpretation of the layout.
- after SNS selection it immediately tried to connect (for 10 seconds) but there was no indication (I was staring at the wallpaper) it was doing anything (no "wait a bit" message) so I feared SNS stopped working.

The wallpaper is nice. Allways liked lightfall through prisms.

Will download B5 today.

Regards,

Volhout

nooby

#175 Post by nooby »

- the popup to customize (Xorg / country settings) appeared twice.
I think it do that on all versions of Lupu, Snow puppy, Polar Puppy Dpup and so on. Not sure about Wary.

Seems to not be a priority thing. Maybe it is needed for to make further changes one was not aware of?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jpeps

#176 Post by jpeps »

01micko wrote:
acpid seems to be behaving, I'm tempted to release as RC, but jpeps has his notecase issue.. sorry I can't help much there. Also a new woof is imminent, so I'll release soon B5.
Good news...Links are working in latest NoteCase Pro ver 3.4.8. Also, doesn't need additional libs. Works right out of the box...even the menu is set up correctly with an icon.

01micko

#177 Post by 01micko »

pemasu wrote:01micko. To confirm kernel related touchpad problems and working ones.

CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ALPS=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_LOGIPS2PP=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_LIFEBOOK=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_TRACKPOINT=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ELANTECH=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SENTELIC=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_TOUCHKIT=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_MOUSE_APPLETOUCH=m
CONFIG_MOUSE_BCM5974=m
Above is the reason I have made my tests. Kernel module drivers participate to the behavior of touchpad. In my Acer 5820TG 2.6.33.2 and even 2.6.35.7 ( Snow Puppy ) has that hypersensitivity problem. Some Barrys builds with some kernel ( I dont remember which versions ) had the same slow movement problem, yes.... it was quirky something.

In 2.6.35.7 Lucid Puppy my disable touchpad when writing fixed the hypersensitivity by syndaemon commands.

About the fix: 2.6.38.3 - 2.6.38.4, 2.6.39.3 - 2.6.39.4 dont have those problems.
Remember that my core Ubuntu packages have been the same in all my builds. I havent included those Maverick - Natty - Oneiric packages much. I have jumped out of the boat with my builds in about Lucid Puppy 5.1 time. I have though included synclient and syndaemon from Oneiric though and in Dpup from wheezy because they work better. The options worked flawlessly with newer versions. But....the kernel made the fundamental difference. That is one reason I havent updated Snow Puppy with 2.6.35.7, it just dont behave best with my laptop touchpad.

Above just for somekind confirmation, that kernel makes the differerence...

About Slacko, no...I havent build it with woof with freshly compiled kernel to find out would it fix the touchpad problem. I just havent had time and energy to do that, but who knows....

The cave out: Different Xorg versions have probably big SAY of the touchpad behavior, maybe even Flsynclient workability affects, dont know.

But...if you are gonna do kernel update test version, I will test it and report.....
I think that it is worth the try. Barrys DOTconfig-2.6.39.4 does not have bluetooth modules enabled...by the way. But it has vgaswitcheroo - debugfs enabled for dual graphics switching. Also you get that new broadcom driver jim3630 has been stubbornly speaking of. You get rid of his complaints also... :D
I said the latter positively, no hard feelings behind. Dont take me wrong. Lol.
ok, here's what I have now for bluetooth, also enabled the scsi tempestuous mentioned, not to mention ath9k and the broadcom ones were already done. Just need the firmware :wink:
CONFIG_BT_HCIBTUSB=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIBTSDIO=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIUART=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIUART_H4=y
CONFIG_BT_HCIUART_BCSP=y
CONFIG_BT_HCIUART_ATH3K=y
CONFIG_BT_HCIUART_LL=y
CONFIG_BT_HCIBCM203X=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIBPA10X=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIBFUSB=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIDTL1=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIBT3C=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIBLUECARD=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIBTUART=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIVHCI=m
CONFIG_BT_MRVL=m
CONFIG_BT_MRVL_SDIO=m
CONFIG_BT_ATH3K=m
hehe,, spoils of KDE :wink:
Attachments
make_xconfig.png
(127.87 KiB) Downloaded 1112 times

gcmartin

#178 Post by gcmartin »

Been using SM2.4, evverything just works, speedily! Browser works, email works, composer works, Chatzilla works, and seemingly integrates very well with this desktop. Added Java and Flash. All combined in one solution....SeaMonkey.

Thanks 01Micko et al for this one-stop combined solution. Long live Netscape!

eternal-sunshine

#179 Post by eternal-sunshine »

DaveS wrote
eternal-sunshine (cool name)
Thanks. I'm yet another Dave from the UK so I thought I might try a different handle.
Grateful for your dropbox-slacko.pet It worked fine without python.

01Micko

Your acpid-2.0.12-1 pet works for me as I no longer need acpi=force in the boot stanza.

Now I see there's a Beta5 so over to that thread.