Slacko B4

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
JonT

#16 Post by JonT »

Frugal install of B4. Ran into some Brookdale effects, but found out why; the word “Brookdale" does not appear in my tmp/ddcprobe.txt (first few lines shown below) to trigger the fix. It does appear in the output of lspci, only place I know of.

Code: Select all

# cat /tmp/ddcprobe.txt          
vbe: VESA 3.0 detected.
oem: Intel(r)845G/845GL/845GE/845GV Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
vendor: Intel Corporation
product: Intel(r)845G/845GL/845GE/845GV Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0
memory: 8000kb
So, I ran BROOKDALE manually; no more kaleidoscopes and X does restart. :D Good move, MHHP and 01micko. Have yet to determine if black screens appear sometimes on reboot; that’s a tough nut to crack.

Frisbee is working flawlessly and reconnects on reboot. It even reconnected automatically on a rare-for-me drop out.

flsynclient-wrapper also works! The action might be clearer if the “Is your touchpad Ok?

James C

#17 Post by James C »

Quick first run of Slacko 4.99.6 B4 live pfix=ram on the Athlon XP box.Sound,internet and display (1440x900) all correct on initial boot.The new dialog displayed correctly here as well.
More testing and some installs later......it's time for lunch. :lol:

Tasgarth

#18 Post by Tasgarth »

aarf
can't get to the bottom of this screen to select something to create pupsave.
can just hit return and it defaults to whatever.
CTRL-Left (mouse) to move the window ?
CTRL-w to close it
Last edited by Tasgarth on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#19 Post by James C »

Went ahead an did a quick manual frugal install.New shutdown to create slackosave.3fs worked well and seems much quicker.

aarf

#20 Post by aarf »

Tasgarth wrote:aarf
can't get to the bottom of this screen to select something to create pupsave.
can just hit return and it defaults to whatever.
CTRL-Left (mouse) to move the window ?
CTRL-w to close it
no. Alt+left mouse moves it but still cant see the last lines of text. Doesnt scroll. Doesnt resize.

Jades

#21 Post by Jades »

More testing on the Pentium D machine, this time with Slacko Beta 4.

Testing using a fresh Live CD install. The Netgear WN111v2 shows up as wlan0 after boots and the correct modules including ar9170usb are shown in the Kernel Modules list on HardInfo. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to connect to my router with either Network Wizard or pns-tool - both timing out in the 'Associate' phase.

I did, however, manage to get a working connection using Frisbee. In general wireless performance seems to be better than it was previously, at least for general web browsing. The connection drops out every now and again but Frisbee manages to reconnect. I can still hear interference but it isn't as bad as it was.

The driver pet for the DeskJet 720C that rcrsn51 brought to my attention also works on B4, and I managed to get it to print a test page from CUPS.

I can't comment on Pburn on that machine as it doesn't have a burner fitted but will try it on the K6 if I can get the damned machine running again.

Overall Slacko is making encouraging progress, but wireless performance on my setup still has some way to go to reach the standard set on Lupu.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Brown Mouse

#22 Post by Brown Mouse »

Hi Micko

Had a few problems setting up a savefile.Maybe I wasn't patient enough and hit the button more that once and I got myself into a loop.i though it was going to create three savefiles at one stage. :D

I also have problems with the volume slider non functioning(which is unusual for me).It wasn't until someone pointed it out in B3 that I checked.I have messed about a bit in 'full window' to no avail.Sometimes the volume control turns purple.

I'll keep an eye on how the testing is going but unfortunately an emergency has arisen and I must get back to the UK.

Good luck with it all.

DaveS

#23 Post by DaveS »

Looks like gutenprint made it in after all.........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jades

#24 Post by Jades »

My Pentium D machine has an ATI Radeon X1650 Pro graphics card. Slickpet's drivers section recommends Xorg-High but clicking on the Xorg button generates a "Your package was not found in the database" error.

Can we have a newer version of Pidgin in Slickpet and PPM? It's up to v2.10.0 now, but we have to settle for 2.7.11. Also, if possible, can the new version be compiled i486 so I can use it on my K6?
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

pemasu

#25 Post by pemasu »

Back to test Slacko for awhile. I do like puppee-blue jwm theme. Really great.

Touchpad problem is the same for me. Movement slowness needed to slide min speed to the 10, before I got some reasonable movement. Then I changed the xorg.conf Option "MinSpeed" "0.9", couple of X restarts and now the Flsynclient min speed can be positioned to the middle.
Hypersensivity is bad, just like in Lucid Puppy with 2.6.33.2 kernel. My palm resting in touchpad, causes all the text to be selected and then it autocuts it to the bits heaven. Ctrl + Z is needed all the time when I write this.

For me, kernel update was the solution with Lucid Puppy. 2.6.39.4 behaves well by the way.

Pmusic 2.1.1 works great, sound ok, net connection ok. Flash autoloads as it should.

Xf-prot fails in downloading: error expanding fp-Linux-i686-ws.tar.gz. Aborting.
Does it expect savefile to be created first ? Or maybe the connection and download just failed, the message flickers too quick for me, like most things in my life.

Okay, enough Ctrl + z for me.
Touchpad + slacko + Acer Aspire 5820TG does not still like each other. I just wonder if kernel update would fix some of touchpad problems. I have seen that happen with my laptop.

pemasu

#26 Post by pemasu »

Code: Select all

syndaemon -K -d -i 0.3
testing the writing now, it looks like the text does not vanish now.
So...disabling the touchpad when writing works. It needs just that command to be placed to the /root/Startup as script and I can write with Slacko. Not bad !!!

Only problem is that the touchpad does not wake up back. Lol.

pemasu

#27 Post by pemasu »

Concerning fprot, I found this information from the Barrys blog: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02493

mavrothal

#28 Post by mavrothal »

Hi Mick,
beta 4 looks good both on my VM and the XOs :wink:

Tried guvcview-1.4.4 from the repo but did not work for me (as asking a ton of deps, some not in slacko and at the end failed). So I compiled 1.5.0 is slacko beta 4.
Get it from datafilehostif you want it. (md5sum: c1dd7ab49fb51deea6cf88bba9f7212e)
It also needs the portaudio, v4l-utils and jack, slackware packages to run in Slacko.
You may want to repackage it better as it has no dependencies in pet.spec
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Stripe

#29 Post by Stripe »

hi all

just a couple of things

when you 1st open ppm the slacko button is highlighted but it shows the page from slackware 13.37 official, if you swap to another repo and then back to slacko it corrects itself until you open the ppm again.

with fylsclient when I reboot to see changes (as told to do) the synaptics slow right down when the first run client opens after restart, then after about 30 seconds (approx) it returns to normal. (I agree with pemasu the initial speed is too slow) does anyone find the initial speed OK?

i like the new first shutdown/filesave but it is very yellow 8)
could the highlighted choices/buttons be lit blue to make them easier to see?

full and frugal install from the universal installer all OK

will keep testing

hope this helps

don

DaveS

#30 Post by DaveS »

Stripe wrote:
with fylsclient when I reboot to see changes (as told to do) the synaptics slow right down when the first run client opens after restart, then after about 30 seconds (approx) it returns to normal. (I agree with pemasu the initial speed is too slow) does anyone find the initial speed OK?

don
That is just the time it takes to load your settings.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#31 Post by Lobster »

In Seamonkey I was answering a google+ message.
Seamonkey crashed. Any combination of tabs - including none and restore and it still crashed. Downloaded and installed Firefox 6. That crashed too.

. . . now if I was cynical I would have loaded Chrome Browser and expect that to work - surely that would be evil . . .
Just reporting . . .

When you install 'Cloud' it appears on top of 'plan' icon
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Jades

#32 Post by Jades »

I've realised that I may be coming across as a little negative about Slacko, for which I apologise. While the wireless thing is a concern, the rest of the distro is looking pretty solid. I particularly like the fact you've included up-to-the-minute applications with it, particularly Abiword and Gnumeric. Playdayz could be a little conservative sometimes (in some cases with good reason) about which versions went in to Luci and Lupu test builds.

It's also been interesting trying it on the K6. The most obvious non-working thing I've encountered is playing MP3s through apps which depend on ffmpeg (which is currently i686 only in all of the recent Woof-built Puppies). Other than that things seem to work quite well. In the longer term Wary is probably the Puppy for that machine, but I've enjoyed trying other versions on it.

majorfoo

Slacko B4

#33 Post by majorfoo »

Full install to ext 4 partition

zero problems - everything works OTB

Added a number of pets from Lucid and all work well

Looks like a keeper to me.

majorfoo
Attachments
Slacko B4.png
(69.39 KiB) Downloaded 1494 times

playdayz

#34 Post by playdayz »

I did 3 boots fresh and then created a savefile and did 3 more boots. This was on a Phenom 9850 and Asrock motherboard--about 2 years old. Measured with Hardinfo.
Attachments
mem_stats.png
(14.16 KiB) Downloaded 1631 times

playdayz

#35 Post by playdayz »

. . now if I was cynical I would have loaded Chrome Browser
Chromium-16 works just fine for me Lobster ;-)
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/chrom ... slacko.pet
It was tested in B2 and now B4. Oh, I get it now, but Chromium does work :oops: