more automatic remaster for beginner ?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Master_wrong

more automatic remaster for beginner ?

#1 Post by Master_wrong »

Hi,

is there any way we can do to simplify remaster... ?
when i first time use remaster i dont know what to do and end up creating same iso as the original because i just click yes :) ?

yes i agree that manual system like now is good for experienced but wouldnt it be better if we have automatic mode too... ?
i mean like calculator, we have simple mode and then programmers mode...

so we can just have these when we run auto-remaster ?
1. check for master iso/cd.
2. gui asking if we want to copy root into remaster (default yes) ?
3. gui asking if we want to copy etc (default no) ?
4. gui to create iso (default yes)?

in fact it all gui can be created into one big gui perhaps with radio button ?
it will make easier instead of 4 or 5 successive gui ?
thanks
Cluster-Pup v.2-Puppy Beowulf Cluster
[url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=499199#499199[/url]

DPUP5520

#2 Post by DPUP5520 »

I don't know man it seems quite easy enough as it is, I think trying to make it any more automatic than it is could seriously screw stuff up, maybe just have it skip and automatically answer defaults for sections where it asks if you want to customize /tmp/root and /tmp/etc, but then again all you have to do is hit one button to skip that also.
Either way if someone did make a simpler one I wouldn't like to see it replace the current remaster process as I find it quite easy and simple for remastering and adding in custom changes that aren't automatically carried over during the remaster process.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

puppyluvr

#3 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
As I have repeatedly posted details about how to "actually" remaster a Puppy install, I have considered creating a GUI much as you are asking about..
But it would not really be a "remaster" but more of a clone...
I actually do exactly that... I create an ISO of my current running Pup..
Works well, booted pfix=ram it still contains setups, configurations, even passwords... Not safe to distribute, but useful to me... No savefile required...
Easy way???
Open your stock Puppy .sfs file, and copy the contents into a directory...
Open your savefile, and merge the contents with the aforementioned directory.. Then use mksquashfs to create a new .sfs, and mkisofs to build a new ISO, or just frugal the .sfs...
If I made a GUI, it would do it that way...
BTW, have nothing mounted.... :shock:
I once made a 60gb Puppy.... :oops:
Needless to say, I couldnt boot it... LOL...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

faifpuhp

#4 Post by faifpuhp »

The Slax website makes"remaster" pretty easy. Given the changes Puppy has survived, I won't be very surprised to see a lightweight app that makes it about as simple as the Slax website, in a year or 3.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=566477#566477][b]Strawberry is dead[/b][/url][b]![/b]

Master_wrong

#5 Post by Master_wrong »

@dpup
well it is easy if you read carefully what the gui text, but for most beginner (me) it is "tldr"

@puppyluvr
I once made a 60gb Puppy.... Embarassed
:lol: :roll:
60gb ? whats in it anyway

@faifpuhp
i hope so
Cluster-Pup v.2-Puppy Beowulf Cluster
[url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=499199#499199[/url]

puppyluvr

#6 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I left a 60gb partition mounted, and all the contents got included in the .sfs.. :oops:
Just making the point that one must be careful when experimenting..
:shock:
I was trying a "live clone" type of idea... learned to boot pfix=ram, and then play around with merging the savefile and .sfs to build a clone of my system on a CD...
Lupen was built this way, as after I woofed it, many configuration changes were necessary for Compiz and Ciaro to play nice together... So I made the necessary changes, made a small savefile, rebooted in ram, and merged them into a new sfs... So, as it says in the thread, Lupen is basically a clone of my system, but cleaned up for release to others...

This process could easily be automated, but would require rebooting in ram to run the GUI.. That cannot be automated...

Maybe just a dialog to locate your chosen .sfs, and your savefile...
Merge them, and mksquashfs a new .sfs....
Worth a thought...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...