Which Puppy version for Sony Vaio PCG-R505TSK?

Booting, installing, newbie
Elludium_Q-36

Which Puppy version for Sony Vaio PCG-R505TSK?

#1 Post by Elludium_Q-36 »

Due to a small budget, I have an old Sony Vaio ( Machine Name: PCG-R505TSK ) which is a total snail / slug with Kubuntu Linux 10.04.3 "Lucid Lynx" LTS.

I stumbled onto Puppy and see Wary Puppy might be right but Upup/Luppy can use .deb Ubuntu packages. Of course packages can get one in trouble... The kernel version may be key with this older hardware.

I don't want too many whistles and bells but hope for more that an Etch A Sketch :wink:
http://www.google.com/search?q=etch+a+sketch

I'm kind of in a hurry for the right answer as I'm in my only online time this week, 'till I get a supported WiFi card. But, as Eminem said, "...but that's another story."

Any helpful advice would be appreciated and I'll probably be in read-only mode on my old BlackBerry. I guess I'll download both .iso files for now.

Many thanks.

Elludium_Q-36

Also...

#2 Post by Elludium_Q-36 »

Also, while I am asking, I have a HP Pavilion 3300+ AMD 2.2 Ghz. which is currently running Kubuntu Linux 8.04 just fine. I wonder if 10.04.3 and it's kernel will cripple this desktop box and if Puppy is a better idea.

The Sony Vaio laptop is the priority for now though.

Again, many thanks.
Last edited by Elludium_Q-36 on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 21:24, edited 2 times in total.

faifpuhp

#3 Post by faifpuhp »

I might be speaking out of turn here, but I suspect that if you can run any version of Kubuntu, the standard Puppies are going to fly. Wary or Lucid, knock yourself out.

Oh and feel free to tell me off if I'm wrong. I feel pretty confident about this guess. Wish I knew how much RAM its has, though.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=566477#566477][b]Strawberry is dead[/b][/url][b]![/b]

Elludium_Q-36

Bios most unhelpful...

#4 Post by Elludium_Q-36 »

I last went into the Sony's bios looking for the cache memory as someone suggested it could be too small for Kubuntu but there was no info.

As for "running" Kubuntu, it's more like crawling or a three toed sloth's crawl.

I'm aging by it now or I'd check for the memory capacity.

Jim1911

#5 Post by Jim1911 »

I have an old Sony vaio laptop with only 64MB ram which runs OK with Wary and I've tested some early versions of Lucid on it which ran OK. Since you can run Kubuntu, you'll find either pup much better. Give Lucid 528 a try. If that doesn't work move back to some older versions.

Re Kubuntu Linux 8.04 vs. 10.04.3, your hardware should handle the upgrade fine. The later versions are much faster than version 8.

sfeeley

#6 Post by sfeeley »

This computer should should run a number of different puppies, and usually experimentation is the best bet for testing to see which runs best/ suits your needs. Nothing can make an old machine into the latest $2000 rig, but you should get something that works well for day to day use. Any of the following should be able to run an up to date browser, and good wordprocessing, music, etc. (flash video is tough on old machines)

-I'd try the latest puppy (sometimes its fine on old machines)

-a "retro version of puppy 5.25" (old kernal, new software)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67724

-wary

-2.14x classic pup
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553
(i run this last one on a sony viao slower than yours)

using frugal installs, you can put these all on at the machine simultaneously, and then experiment.

Sometimes parts of the install process can be a drag on old machines. At times I've made the savefile on a newer machine and then copied it over. Likewise, on a really old machine, I've moved the entire harddrive to another rig, done the install, and then moved it back.

But as others said, the fact that you have kubuntu running suggests that puppy should do pretty well

faifpuhp

#7 Post by faifpuhp »

sfeeley wrote:But as others said, the fact that you have kubuntu running suggests that puppy should do pretty well
...even if Kubuntu is crawling.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=566477#566477][b]Strawberry is dead[/b][/url][b]![/b]

Elludium_Q-36

Problems... :-(

#8 Post by Elludium_Q-36 »

Well I burned the .iso(s) and first tried Wary.

The graphic came up and it searched for files but quit after complaining about not finding an .sfs file.

I then tried Lupu / Lucid but it just had a line with Isolinux, copyright dates and etc. I ejected the disk and it complained about not being able to read disk sectors.

I then tried Wary again but it only had the Isolinux line.

Seems it might have done something to the bios or some other low level flash but Kubuntu linux still booted from the HDD.

Elludium_Q-36

Nobody?

#9 Post by Elludium_Q-36 »

You ever notice how a group of younglings egg another on to do something unorthodox and say, "JUST DO IT", or "so & so did it and (s)he's fine!" Take cliff diving, for example. All is well and good when some happy idiot is goaded into providing vicarious free entertainment. When he goes, "SPLAT!!!" the idiot arm-chair quarterbacks, go "Oh well, on to the next distraction."

Well, I tried puppy on this laptop and things are not fine.

I had Kubuntu Linux on it and the usable screen suddenly shrunk by 1.5 inches around the border. Also, the cursor would be possessed and jump from where I pointed it, especially when as a selection cursor.

PUPPY WOULD NOT WORK, PERIOD!!!

Now perhaps this piece o' lost treasure was made whilist the good people at Sony were bedded down with some of Bill Gates' underlings. Seems so as installing Wingdings XP automagically fixed the screen.

I tried an old Dell Latitude C840 ( Service Tag: 64MS731 , BIOS-V.: A12 ) and that ran Kubuntu 8.04 fine for a few days but DIED on the operating table while updating some packages. It froze up and wouldn't reboot, not even into the BIOS.

I suspect that some laptop hardware have low level nasty-ware, aside from the BIOS or there is some other hardware related compatibility issue.

Now I have used an old HP Pavillion AMD 3300+ 2.2Ghz desktop with Kubuntu 8.04 for about three years, with not signification issues. Therefore, I'm a true believer but am in need of some help.

Laptops are nice, if you have a desk or table but if I can't find some old hardware to work, maybe I'll buy a tablet computer and hope I can get some form of Linux to work...

Any helpful RELEVANT thoughts?

cthisbear

#10 Post by cthisbear »

Double post.
Last edited by cthisbear on Fri 30 Sep 2011, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#11 Post by cthisbear »

" Any helpful RELEVANT thoughts? "

Turn the friggin' font back down to normal.

It annoys the hell out of people, so users here won't respond
to your posts.

""""""""""""

Sony Laptops……….special command

puppy ide1=0x180,0x386 nopcmcia acpi=off

From old posts I put into a word doc.

"""""""""

default puppy acpi=strict
acpi=noirq
pci=biosirq
pci=nosort
irqpoll routeirq
display boot.msg
prompt 1
label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=initrd.gz loglevel=3 PMEDIA=idecd
timeout 50

puppy pnpbios=off

On an Acer TravelMate 603 laptop it fails at "Loading the pup_220.sfs" stage with "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!". (I have Puppy 2.14 installed and working fine on this machine although I had to use "puppy pnpbios=off" to avoid a kernel panic early in the boot process.)

Sony Laptops……….special command

Thanks, you are a GEM ! That did it.

puppy ide1=0x180,0x386 nopcmcia acpi=off

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

apci=on /=off =/force

Something came to mind as I read in the post about difficulties with my build of Safepup pup_2.13.sfs.
I also encountered a kernel panic when adapting the build for a
Thinkpad 700x and found I had to toggle apci.
Raffy's original comes with apci=force.

I suggest trying apci=on /=off =/force to see if any of those work.

////////////////////////

On the bootup screen I used the bootcode

puppy pnpbios=off'

cause ALSA obviously had some trouble with this

(it said something like that in the 'dmesg' I looked in when it didn't work)

After bootup I set up the soundcard manually using modprobe in
the console.
After fiddling around with the parameters, my final setup looks like this:

'modprobe snd_es18xx isapnp=0 port=0x220 mpu_port=0x330 dma1=1 dma2=1 irq=5 fm_port=0x388'

Sound plays rather well, I can't use puppy sound mixer though (yet?), but alsamixer works OK and since I have buttons for volume on my laptop I don't even know if the hard drive is good.

On older computers, but no laptops, I turn of the DMA if possible and the APM (advanced power management) in the BIOS setup program.

Then on the Linux command line add the following parameters:

ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off

When GRUB is installed you can add these as needed to your kernel line.

From the puppy boot disk you can experiment like this:

puppy ide=nodma

if it still fails then add the others:

puppy ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off

and of course another options you are using.I don't much care.

/////////////////////////////////////

When in doubt, keep Googling. ;-)
I am posting this via Puppy and SeaMonkey!

http://justin.madirish.net/node/31

As this article says, in the BIOS I had to change to SATA mode from IDE to AHCI. Then at the boot prompt I typed

puppy all-generic-ide pci=nommconf

and Puppy was happy! In spite of what the article said,
I had no trouble booting back into WinXP
(so my wife can use the computer :-P ).

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28603

///////////

I'm running puppy 4.1.2 on a 12 year old laptop with a p1 150MHz and 80MB RAM and it freezes at boot inless I use the options:

puppy pnpbios=off acpi=off.

Maybe that combination might work with your system?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37923

""""""""""""

Chris.

raffy

booting

#12 Post by raffy »

(You can skip to the note below.)
Booting puppy through the CD drive depends on two successes:

1. Burning the disc - recommend slow burning, 4X preferably.

2. Make sure that the CD drive is OK. (Even if it is OK, some CDs could prove to be a problem.)

I say this because you booted with Wary, the solution for older machines, and you said you failed.

After checking on the 2 items above, try cthisbear's tips.

You could also try Puppy 2.17 (see the "How to download" page in puppylinux.org) as a last resort. I found that a life saver. :)

Note: If another linux works in that machine, you can do a frugal install. Copy the Puppy files in a subdirectory in the hard disk and make another entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst with

title Puppy version ___ here
root (0,0) # 0=1st hard disk, 0=1st partition
kernel /somedir/vmlinuz psubdir=somedir
initrd /somedir/initrd.gz
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Elludium_Q-36

Thanks... but...

#13 Post by Elludium_Q-36 »

After downloading the .iso files for Wary and Lupu, I verified the MD5 hash/checksums for both files.
I did burn both .iso files to CD with 4X speed and made them appendable/multi-session.

However, as written above, Wary loaded once but complained about missing a .sfs file, 'though there was one in the CD's directory. I tried Lupu but only got a single line, all-caps: "ISOLINUX..." copyright dates, etc. I got a similar ISOLINUX line when I tried Wary again. I can only assume that something happened in a low level environment like CMOS/BIOS, like a firmware/software switch/code appendage, etc. As I wrote above, the Kubuntu Linux 10.04.3 install reduced the usable screen size but installing Windows XP Pro automagically fixed that.

'Tis frustrating since this is my third shot at old laptop hardware, which seems hard to find now locally. Linux certified hardware is now higher end stuff. One local refurbisher/reclaimer/recycler wanted $200 for an old Celeron M processor laptop but I can get brand new stuff from newegg.com, starting around $299.

How would I know if SOME CDs are a problem with an otherwise working CD drive, as "raffy" writes? I don't see an online MD5 hashes for the burnt CDs. I burnt both CDs on my Kubuntu desktop with K3B and ran them on the Sony Vaio's DVD rom/CD device. The Sony drive installed Kubuntu Linux 10.04.3 and then Windows XP Pro.

Shouldn't a "live" or CD boot run of the O.S. be made to work before trying a frugal install? The Kubuntu Linux 10.04.3 install CD still had to run the installer environment. I know that experience is the best teacher but now this snail/slug of a laptop is my only portal into the online world; at least one where I can save my work and take it home. The local library limits time on their Windows desktops and doesn't allow the use of USB flash drives. :(

I haven't done a dual boot system yet but have been at this for a few years. Luckily I started with desktops or I'd be turned off to Linux.
This puppy live/CD boot reminds me of the old "Devil Linux" and I couldn't get that to work either.

Perhaps I'll try to spin up the disks on my Kubuntu desktop box and see what happens. Hopefully I can find time to be online where I can grab Puppy 2.17

"cthisbear", the larger font, not bold, seemed more easily readable on my screen. I can't try any advice posted by "cthisbear", other than the font, since I can't get even get Puppy's command prompt to load...

Again, any helpful advice that leads to success is appreciated.

darkcity

#14 Post by darkcity »

I would definitely try an older Puppy version

4.31 has a reputation for running on many systems
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01171

2.14x classic pup too is good for old system
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 792#306792

---

what is the spec of your system, can you run from USB stick?

sfeeley

#15 Post by sfeeley »

This may be restating some of the earlier suggestions, but still worth a double check.

1) Can the machine actually boot from CD? Is the Bios set up this way? Usually on sony's if you hit f2 several times immediately after turning on the machine, you will get a list of bios options. click through those and make sure that the boot order has CD first, before the harddrive.

-please confirm

2) You asked about how to check if a disk is ok? Try it on another computer. You mentioned that you have another machine that has kubuntu. Put the CD in there and boot from it. It is a true "live" cd and should not affect your kubuntu installation.

-please confirm

3) put the disk in the target machine. (after you've done steps 1 and 2). At boot, there should be a brief screen with a puppy logo (not sure about wary since I don't use it--but I suspect there will be one there too). hit f2 for advanced boot options.

This will give you a cursor where you can try some advanced boot options. Type:

Code: Select all

puppy acpi=off

hit return
This is often needed for older computers.
At this scren You might also try experimenting with the different commands suggested by Cthisbear

-please report

4) if you get a bit further, but still only end up with a cursor, try typing

Code: Select all

xorgwizard
this should guide you through different options to bring up a windows-like environment

-please report

5)
but installing Windows XP Pro automagically fixed that

So you have windows XP working on the machine? If installing puppy via the regular CD will not work, you might try the lin-n-win method:

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... innwin.htm

-please report

6) Also it sounds like you have kubuntu on this machine. You should then be able to install puppy using a method like this:
http://helpforlinux.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... buntu.html

on the step 17-18 where you modify the grub file, you may experiment with putting in some of the commands that cthisbear recommends at the end of the line that begins with the word kernel.

-please report

oligin10

How much ram?

#16 Post by oligin10 »

Sorry, but I didn't see an answer to the question about how much ram it has. If it has 256 megs or more, try TEENpup Linux 2010 from John Biles. If not, try Puppy Linux NOP 413. Both work well for me, and NOP 413 is especially good with older computers and limited ram (I think I have ran it with 128 megs). Thanks, Rob

Elludium_Q-36

Re: Problems... :-(

#17 Post by Elludium_Q-36 »

Yes, thank you for the replies but as I wrote above:
Elludium_Q-36 wrote:Well I burned the .iso(s) and first tried Wary.

The graphic came up and it searched for files but quit after complaining about not finding an .sfs file.

I then tried Lupu / Lucid but it just had a line with Isolinux, copyright dates and etc. I ejected the disk and it complained about not being able to read disk sectors.

I then tried Wary again but it only had the Isolinux line.

Seems it might have done something to the bios or some other low level flash but Kubuntu linux still booted from the HDD.
YES, YES I made it boot from the CD in the BIOS. How else would I have seen the graphic? The BIOS even supports network-boot but not boot from USB

In the first post of the thread, I wrote that it is a Sony Vaio ( Machine Name: PCG-R505TSK). It has 384MB of RAM, 40G-HDD and is a PIII. Here's your spec's: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/ ... K_mksp.pdf

There's also a "how to" on installing another O.S. HERE:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model- ... #/howtoTab

Of course, it like this: "Premium Services: Operating System Installation".
I shouldn't need to tell you the applied meaning of "Premium".

I haven't had a chance to hibernate the Kubuntu Linux desktop and spin up the Wary or Lupu disks but will report back. I used that box with K3B to burn them, as well as the Kubuntu 10.04.3 disk that I HAD installed on the Sony laptop. That cropped the screen size, as I wrote above . I currently have Wingdings XP installed, which automagically fixed the screen problem. The XP is a temporary fix, especially since I don't have a valid activation code. :roll:

If I'm ignorant on what the real distinction of running from the CD or USB would be, please enlighten me. Otherwise, may I answer any other questions that I had previously addressed earlier in the thread?

Again, I can't even get the hash/# command prompt, so I'm not sure how I could try some of the suggestions coming here.

Now I DID read the:
"Overview and Getting Started", "Download Latest Release",
"How to download Puppy",
"How NOT to install Puppy",
"Long-Term-Supported WaryPuppy",
"Puplet for special features",
"Manual-English",
"Miscellaneous (BuyCD-GetHelp-NoWarranty)",
"Get more information"
and obviously I found my way to the forum.

I just recalled that the electronics reclaimer/recycler told me that the Sony had a version of Red Hat Linux installed before he wiped the HDD.

I don't see how trying another version would help since I can't even get the command prompt but as I wrote above, Wary loaded once but complained about missing an .sfs file.

Again, I now only get the "ISOLINUX..." line when I load either disk.

Perhaps I should reinstall Kubuntu Linux 10.04.3 to do the frugal install as raffy suggests but then I'd most likely have a cropped screen again... :twisted:

Awaiting further.
Last edited by Elludium_Q-36 on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

raffy

#18 Post by raffy »

I also have a new laptop that can't use the newest pups if I don't boot Windoz first (must be some correct settings for devices that are done only by Win drivers).

I would reiterate booting pup 2.17 in that machine or the latest Wary, using a CD-R (old drives have problems reading CD-RW). If the BIOS can boot from "USB device" then you can try USB booting (USB must be not be the newest, though, as the laptop is old).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

oligin10

Still suggest the two I mentioned

#19 Post by oligin10 »

After reading up on the specs you posted in the .pdf link, I still recommend trying the two I mentioned. They both use older linux kernels, and are very good on the older hardware. Even Wary will sometimes not work on the older machines. Also, if you want to try another version of Wary, try the one with the 2.6.30.x kernel, which is the same kernel as Puppy 431. Another one is to try Classic Pup, which again uses an older kernel. I think that is your problem, that the laptop is having problems with the newer kernel. Good luck, Rob

sfeeley

#20 Post by sfeeley »

hmmmm . . . .

please excuse me if I'm wrong. But I tried looking up the specs on that machine. And it does not look like it has a built in cd-rom. Instead the specs I see mention an optional external cd rom.

Is that correct?

If so, that may change things a bit, and allow commentators (especially the ones smarter than me) to give more useful info.

BTW I too have an old sony viao superslim. It once had an external cd-rom but that's long gone. I now run puppy 2.14x classic pup on it. I installed it by taking out the harddrive, swapping it to another computer, installing onto the harddrive via computer #2, and then swapping the harddrive back to the viao. Its not easy with these small sonys but it worked.
Besides lacking the CD, I've also discovered that slower computers can freeze up trying to do an install, but once its on the harddrive, it runs ok (as long as you have a fair sized swap, etc). Also I had to include acpi=off and irqpoll on the grub line

I'm not sure how XP works without the product key--but if you can keep it around long enough to do the win-n-lin method I recommended earlier, that might work. Once you get 1 puppy working, you can use it to install other puppies, and get rid of windows eventually (I think).

And please be patient. We're trying. Remember nobody here is paid except with gratitude