Puppy 6/10
SliTaz 9/10 winner
Tiny Core 6/10
Unity 7/10
Vector 5/10

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... ros-683552

FlyingRedGoat

#2 Post by FlyingRedGoat »

We'll just wait and see what happens when 5 is released. All his issues should be addressed by then.

K
[quote="Lobster"][quote]Read this: Fear Not Root, and tell us what you think.[/quote]

I thought reading this was preferable to running around like a headless penguin
exclaiming, 'Beware the root'. :roll:
[/quote]

runtt21

#3 Post by runtt21 »

Bligh

#4 Post by Bligh »

Do any of them have frugal install as Puppy does?
Cheers

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

AntiX kind of have but needs a second partition for saving changes. The developer of it are friendly towards Puppy, he mention puppy with respect in his answers on the forum for AntiX so that is cool.

Not sure why he wanted us to make a partition for saving though. But he does describe how one can do a frugal install. So he is not against it like many of the Ubuntu people are.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

thanks for the link.

I've tested a few of them but did not know about NetRunner and I maybe tested MoonOS but my memory can be mistaken.

AntiX seems to have best out of the box function of these.

I feel bad to be critical about MacPup but it is extremely annoying the habit that it interpret a move to the far right on the screen as an intention to change to Desktop by shutting down the browser screen. Maybe the developer has told somewhere how to change that feature. I hit it many times each minute and get fed up using it.

runtt21

#7 Post by runtt21 »

Wow , I only explained how to shut that off about 50 times....... And I did leave that feature off in the new version. :D

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

runtt21 wrote:Wow , I only explained how to shut that off about 50 times....... And I did leave that feature off in the new version. :D
wow is there a new version? Then I need to test that one too. What download link is fastest? not torrent I don't do such
is this the thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49526

oops I have downloaded it already so how do I shut off the beloved feature that annoyed me? :)

sorry but the newest version most likely has Opera in it? I am a FF man.

Maybe I should download that one and add FF3.6.3 to it?

That maybe is a better solution?

oops by accident I found your description further down i nthread.
One thing I forgot to do is to turn the edge bindings off.

If you hang an app off the edge or slam the pointer into the edge it will change desktops.

Alot of times when you dont want it to.

To fix this go to menu-settings-settings panel.

In the app that opens on the top go to input then select edge bindings.

In the next window select delete all then apply and close. You can also change the binding to do other stuff....
Edit

Mission accomplished. Now it doesn't shut down the browser screen anymore. Wow that was hard to find evenb using the description.

The chars are extemely small for my bad eye sight. I have to put head some 100 mm from screen to be able to read them.

How does one make them bigger?

And don't get me wrong but it would be better if you changed the version of Firefox to the 3.6.3 which it doesn't update to now due to being a 3.5 something.

will I not end up with two firefox if I use a pet FF3.6.3 to do new install.
Last edited by nooby on Sun 25 Apr 2010, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Can I use your MacPup to install NetRunner on an usb? How would you do it?

abushcrafter

#10 Post by abushcrafter »

This is the same article that has all ready been talked about here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53547

runtt21

#11 Post by runtt21 »

nooby That is also explained, just read through the threads for both fox 3 and Opera 2.0 . You should give Opera a chance it is a really good browser.I love both Opera and Firefox that is why macpup uses both.

merab.net

Re: 8 mini distros rated

#12 Post by merab.net »

nubc wrote:8 of the best tiny Linux distros, by Nick Veitch

Damn Small Linux 7/10
Crunchbang 8/10
Lubuntu 6/10
Puppy 6/10
SliTaz 9/10 winner
Tiny Core 6/10
Unity 7/10
Vector 5/10

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... ros-683552
Wrong selection. Puppy Linux has to be compared with, for example, Austrumi, Slax, antiX. It is these distros that of the same class with Puppy Linux.

nubc

#13 Post by nubc »

Latest antiX 8.5 download was 484 MB

Astrumi is improving, it was my first Linux distro (because I was able to download 50 MB on dialup) but I couldn't connect to internet until more recent versions, support is not its strong point

SliTaz runs in RAM, and can be installed frugally (IIRC) as well as to hdd

I don't wanna insult the faithful, but I haven't seriously used any version of Puppy after version 2.17.1. Puppy 3.x had major multimedia problems, gxine in particular, so I skipped it entirely. I can't put VLC on Puppy 4.3.x without going through a week of troubleshooting for dubious results, so I just don't use it unless I have to. Sooner or later Puppy 2.17.1 is gonna be outdated, because of Seamonkey and/or Flash, and I am gonna have to go distro hunting if the next version of Puppy doesn't do VLC and multimedia satisfactorily. I have my fingers crossed for ttuuxx's 2.14X.

abushcrafter

#14 Post by abushcrafter »

nubc wrote:I can't put VLC on Puppy 4.3.x without going through a week of troubleshooting for dubious results, so I just don't use it unless I have to. Sooner or later Puppy 2.17.1 is gonna be outdated, because of Seamonkey and/or Flash, and I am gonna have to go distro hunting if the next version of Puppy doesn't do VLC and multimedia satisfactorily. I have my fingers crossed for ttuuxx's 2.14X.
What about ttuuxxx's vlc pet? or http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54753.

nooby

#15 Post by nooby »

Runt thanks for Macpup, I downloaded the latest and it works good with FF added to it. I asked you a question in the proper thread.

KF6SNJ

#16 Post by KF6SNJ »

What gets me about this list is that DSL has not seen any real development in the last few years and it rated high than Puppy. Its sitting in a state of being borderline stagnant/dead. Puppy is in a constant state of development. We've always got something going on. Certainly Puppy should have ranked higher than DSL. Even the writer noted that BKO conceded that DSL could become a liability. I am not trying to say anything bad about DSL, but I feel that it should not have been included on this list.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

nooby

#17 Post by nooby »

Could it be some fondness or nostalgia that change the bias of the reviewer.

Say they tried out DSL some three years ago and that was the only linux version that did work on their low end computers.

So they see the distros with that sentiment and don't see them as I would who have always failed to get DSL going on my gear.

Puppy failed for years for me. It did not make clean shut down. I had to kill the fan by holding in the power button for 4 seconds. And sometimes it screwed up the next boot.

Nowadays Puppy works very good. So I want it to be higher up in comparison too.

anticapitalista

#18 Post by anticapitalista »

Well of that list, IMO Slitaz does deserve to come out on top.
However, the other 'marks' and choices are illogical.

DSL was great, but it is dead.
Crunchbang is also very nice, especially their latest Debian version.
Lubuntu, ok, well hyped.
Puppy is puppy. So much on a small iso compared to Crunchbang, Lubuntu, Unity, Vector, (and antiX)
Tiny Core is useless until you start adding. Nothing like the other distros in what it sets out to do (except maybe Unity)
Vector is another favourite of mine. Fast and light.

The other difference is not just in size, but how the distro is used. Puppy, as we all know, is designed to run frugal as was DSL and is (sort of) Tiny Core. The others are meant to be installed.

In the case of antiX, we have tried to incorporate the best features from a variety of distros, but antiX is really meant to be installed to hard drive even though (influenced by Puppy) frugal is possible and IMO works well enough for what it is intended on antiX to do.
Without a doubt, Puppy does frugal much better than antiX so if that is what you are mainly after, go for Puppy.
If you want a fullish desktop and a small iso size, Slitaz is hard to beat. For those that want a 'traditional' (LOL) desktop installation, go for antiX!!!!

Colonel Panic

#19 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi anticapitalista and welcome to the Puppy forums.

I did try antix and even posted on your forums, where I got some very useful advice concerning how to set up GRUB by hand (which I still use). However, I couldn't get the dialup to work in antix.

I may go back and try it again but Puppy works well for me (as does Vector).That's the good thing but also the trouble with distros, there's so many of 'em (and hence so much competition).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

anticapitalista thanks for all help you gave me at your forum.

Which distros that is best seems to be up to every developer and every user. All of us seems very individual in our preferences and are not likely to agree on what to assign the title to be the best.

antiX and Puppy are among the top five for me so thanks for all the work you put into your baby.

You are rather unique among devs to be positive to frugal install. That impressed me.