Slacko B3

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ecube

Re: Vanishing tray buttons

#91 Post by ecube »

LJFR,

Your JWM Configuration Manager solved my problem.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01775

Olov

01micko

#92 Post by 01micko »

darkcity wrote:what problems are you having with frisbee?
None actually, I just did a pfix=ram boot, touched no net settings, installed Frisbee_beta-2.3-spup and it worked a charm.
I have integrated it into the main sfs, but there is a problem with it not working, the clue is that there is something in the pinstall.sh that needs to be run which is what I'm working on now.

Ecube, interesting about jwm, I'll try LJFR's tool. :) .

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

BROOKDALERS.. I'm going to need everyone's output of:

Code: Select all

lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga"
I'll leave in the hacks for timing and try to filter out which ones work and not with MMHP's xorgwizard patch. The patch works on my rev2.

Known brookdalers:
JonT
MinHundHettePerro
01micko
James C
cowboy
charlie6

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

MHHP, you reckon we can fix the console font issue? I know we can't fix the small fontsize, I've tried to change res in console, I can only go up, not down! :shock: You know the issue I mean.

rodin.s, is your's a Brookdale video chip?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

MinHundHettePerro

Re: Vanishing tray buttons

#93 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

ecube wrote:LJFR,

Your JWM Configuration Manager solved my problem.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01775

Olov
I played a while with the /usr/local/jwmconfig2/panel-buttons-tool and found that after each run it deleted some lines from /root/.jwmrc-tray :shock: :shock:.

Methinks that button should be disabled in the JWM-configuration manager until fixed! Or, perhaps, this ljfr-tool can be a good replacement - haven't tried it yet :).

Cheers :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

MinHundHettePerro

#94 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:BROOKDALERS.. I'm going to need everyone's output of:

lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga"
I'll leave in the hacks for timing and try to filter out which ones work and not with MMHP's xorgwizard patch. The patch works on my rev2.

Known brookdalers:
JonT
MinHundHettePerro
01micko
James C
cowboy
charlie6
Ok, here goes:

# lspci -nn -mm |grep -iE "vga"
00:02.0 "VGA compatible controller [0300]" "Intel Corporation [8086]" "82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [2562]" -r03 "Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [1462]" "Device [7148]"
I even followed JonT's link to rerwin's udev-rule-tinkering and edited /etc/udev/rules.d/00-i915_modeset0.rules to include the subspecs of my card - didn't reach X (with, or without my patch applied). Should've known better,really, since my earlier experiments with boot-params showed that modeset=0 is a no-go and modeset=1 is the way to go for this Brookdale sub-version :wink:.
01micko wrote:MHHP, you reckon we can fix the console font issue? I know we can't fix the small fontsize, I've tried to change res in console, I can only go up, not down! :shock: You know the issue I mean.
On this issue, I'm mostly grasping at straws, really. But, maybe a clue is to be found in JonT's links to rerwin's posts above; there is a mentioning of a rule ensuring that fbcon is loaded before Xorg-drivers, or something to that extent - haven't fully grasped it yet, will continue my pursuit .............. :roll: :).
As for now, I'd say ignore my console-fonts ramblings for the time being (i.e. the betas :P :) ) (I'm merely collecting pieces to, eventually, solve this :D :D :D) - unless, someone jumps in and provides the missing piece of this puzzle :wink: :) :).

Jim1911

#95 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote:Guess its time for me to investigate the CORRECT driver for my HP Photosmart instead of the 'close enough' Gutenprint one. I think that means the whole HPlip thing :)
It's not a big deal. Get them here.
It's not a big deal because of your hard work. We appreciate what you do to keep our printer/scanners working.

Cheers, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Jim

JonT

#96 Post by JonT »

Code:
lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga"
Here's mine.

# lspci -nn | grep -iE "vga"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [8086:2562] (rev 03)
Admiring your tenacity,01micko and MHHP. :D I would contribute to the effort if I knew how,
Jon

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#97 Post by Lobster »

JonT wrote:I would contribute to the effort if I knew how,
Jon
Test everything. Report back. :)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/NoobHelp
try todo and Absolute noobs section for suggestions

Puppy Linux
Run Free
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#98 Post by 01micko »

Haha! I may not bother trying to automate the Brookdale bugfix.. it may well be (and I have seen this) monitor dependent too, that would make it impossible to automate! I'm sure I'm not going to get every device ID of every possible monitor hooked up to a Brookdale! :lol:

Lucky I have Plan B :wink:

It works too :)

gcmartin

STatus Reports

#99 Post by gcmartin »

Status reports attached.

Desktop started after initial video probe. All seems well. Live media boots OK on 3 systems.

A system report is attached which contains lspci info requested.

Hope this helps
Attachments
report-video-glx.tar.gz
System report also contains LSPCI info requested
(6.62 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

mavrothal

#100 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote: None actually, I just did a pfix=ram boot, touched no net settings, installed Frisbee_beta-2.3-spup and it worked a charm.
I have integrated it into the main sfs, but there is a problem with it not working, the clue is that there is something in the pinstall.sh that needs to be run which is what I'm working on now.
If I remember correctly from XOpup the problem is that if other connection tools are configured will be started by rc.sysinit and this may conflict with frisbee.
Check the pinstall here for a possible solution
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

charlie6

#101 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Mick !

lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga"
... just do ask!...here you are .... :D
from slacko 4.99.4 = B2 frugal install:
samsung syncromaster 913v monitor
with options i915 modeset=1
no additional file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d (i.e. disable-composite.conf and i845G.conf)

# lspci -nn | grep -iE "vga"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [8086:2562] (rev 01)
# lspci -nn -mm| grep -iE "vga"
00:02.0 "VGA compatible controller [0300]" "Intel Corporation [8086]" "82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [2562]" -r01 "Fujitsu Technology Solutions [1734]" "D1521 Mainboard (Fujitsu-Siemens) [1003]"
# 
Also with the same Fuji Siemens PC featured with Brookdale video chip, runs nice also with modeset=1 with other monitors: samsung syncromaster 152B monitor ; compaq CRT monitor.

I have to mention I got (just) once stripped lines displayed + no more menu text after having dragged and dropped a video file on the Play icon for starting Gnome Player. All OK after reboot on the very same personal save file. I could not reproduce this; I then checked the good monitors video and power chords connections (disconnect then reconnect to "clean" contact pins ... sometimes electrical contacts got oxyded)...to be sure. Since then no new problem in a regular daily use ... I promise writing down a post if one would ever arise .

@ MHHP:
I feel you were walking the same path I ran two months ago ( might be then under 312.37 )...
Have a look on cccc's and Ignotum's posts here
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... page3.html
I've read you have spent ( a lot of ) time on this issue.
Maybe have you already tried to add the
disable-composite.conf
and
i845G.conf ( ! looking inside: this script is dedicated to rev01 - should be adapted to rev03 ! )
files in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
then reboot.
These are the files recommended in the links you mentionned in one of your later Brookdale's posts;
These are also contained in the slacko archive - 01micko has put them somewhere in it - Pfind should find them;
see also this link :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=552008
Brookdale's rev here is rev01 whereas yours is 03 ... would that make any difference...?
Hope this helps

Cheers ! Charlie
last edited:
@MHHP: your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/i845G.conf file content would maybe look as: ( (rev03) was (rev01) )

Section "Device"
    Identifier 	"Card0"
    Driver 	"intel"
    Option 	"Shadow" "True"
    Option 	"DRI"  "False"
    BoardName 	"Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)"
    BusID 	"PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
Last edited by charlie6 on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 07:24, edited 2 times in total.

jpeps

links files

#102 Post by jpeps »

Here are extra libs needed for links-2.3 (posted elsewhere)

http://jpeters.net/apps/links-2.3.pet

usr/lib/libdirect-1.2.so.9
usr/lib/libdirect-1.2.so.9.0.1
usr/lib/libdirectfb-1.2.so.9
usr/lib/libdirectfb-1.2.so.9.0.1
usr/lib/libfusion-1.2.so.9
usr/lib/libfusion-1.2.so.9.0.1
Last edited by jpeps on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

cups problems

#103 Post by jpeps »

I had to manually load localhost:631 (wizzard opened browser to homepage)

Cups didn't show my usb hp P1102w laser printer. Shows up in lucid.

rodin.s

lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga" - my output

#104 Post by rodin.s »

# lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga"
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82810 DC-100 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller [8086:7123] (rev 03)
01:04.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: S3 Inc. Savage 4 [5333:8a22] (rev 04)
So I guess it's not Brookdale chip.

01micko

Re: cups problems

#105 Post by 01micko »

jpeps wrote:I had to manually load localhost:631 (wizzard opened browser to homepage)

Cups didn't show my usb hp P1102w laser printer. Shows up in lucid.
yeah, back on about page 2 or 3 is the libusb you need, or you can try the libusb-compat, next page, it was a woof thing. Printer should show then. Maybe that's why the cups page failed to open? :? I've never ever seen that though. Cups is pretty stock standard and has been pretty much the least of trouble in spup-slacko for about a year.

Jasper

#106 Post by Jasper »

Hi 01micko et al,

My continuing experience with Slacko remains excellent and 4.99.5 seems less demanding on RAM and CPU than 4.99.4.

There are two small points:

(1) re Pburn: I did not manage to burn an ISO image because neither CD-R nor DVD+RW discs were recognized as being in the drive.

(2) re xorg_high: The download did not seem to be available via slickpet or install.

My regards

I used Burniso2cd instead (which can actually clean a DVD+RW before writing - I think that was a tip from Flash). Neither Pburn nor Burniso state they can deal with "+" varieties; so it seems ideal that these descriptions might be updated - by someone, sometime.

I don't need xorg_high (recommened for me by slickpet) though it does seem to improve access speed e.g perhaps in loading this Forum's posts/threads a bit faster.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#107 Post by Béèm »

Sage wrote:Thanks for your consideration, mick. I suppose it all comes down to the definition and use of 'decent'. Perhaps one could argue 'adequate'? Not sure how the guys over at Luci came to their strategy or how they implemented it, but it's nice to see choice pop up at an early stage. Politicians like to talk about choice, but they usually mean their choice! No need to parrot their behaviour?!
SeaMonkey is a decent browser. Using it for years without problems. 8)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

aarf

#108 Post by aarf »

Transmission at 1.2 is long out of date.

MinHundHettePerro

#109 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

On Brookdale chips:

01micko, your plan B looks promising, judging from the pic, I guess it's best to fix things like this before X is started.

I have no clue as to why your first fix, writing the xorg.conf.d files, didn't work for me - maybe because X was already running and restarting X was flaky with the running conf. It should have worked.

charlie6, thanks, yes I already tried with BoardName ...... (rev03), didn't make a difference, though ....

I now employ conf-files in xorg.conf.d :shock:, and it seems like the BoardName and BusID entries for the Section "Device" aren't needed.....
I might as well learn how to use the xorg.conf.d/conf-files ................. :)

Anyway, prepare to make fix-ups of this character also for other cards ........ See post 47 of this weeks DWW comments

Stripe

#110 Post by Stripe »

hi all

update on flsynclient

I have got a fully functioning touchpad but I had to set it up in 528 and copy the root/.flsynclient file from 528 and overwrite the original slacko file (not ideal but it worked)

in 528 when I opened flsynclient I got a message saying it recognised my touchpad and to restart xserver, when I restarted x I could make changes to the touchpad and they were saved.

in slacko I do not get any message and all I can change is the speed of the cursor. no tapping but the vertical scroll works out of the box,

I tried installing jemimah's synclient-0.1.4.6.pet and flsynclient-.6.pet but this made no difference

what versions are we using so that I can try and compile it again to see if I can get it working? (some chance :lol:)

everything else seems ok

cheers
don

Just noticed that youtube are looking for html5 testers
http://www.youtube.com/html5