Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 15:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Slacko B3
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 13 [191 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:24    Post subject:  

Quote:
Dougal's tool has been very good in the past, but it is unmaintained.

Dougal is still about and active. Really nice guy with a wry humour. Ask him nicely and he might assist?
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:29    Post subject:  

Guess its time for me to investigate the CORRECT driver for my HP Photosmart instead of the 'close enough' Gutenprint one. I think that means the whole HPlip thing Smile
darkcity

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:42    Post subject:  

what problems are you having with frisbee?
Volhout

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:53    Post subject:
Subject description: Jemimah

nooby wrote:
Quote:
I guess due to unforeseen circumstance jemimah has more or less abandoned puppy.

I have not followed her whereabouts closely but remember her or someone knowing her told us she is totally absorbed at her new regular work. So she has almost no time for Puppeee anymore. But that is old news so could have changed recently.

The website puppeee.com and attached forum have disappeared also. It feels like Jemimah has abandoned puppy.
nooby

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:59    Post subject:
Subject description: Jemimah

Volhout wrote:
nooby wrote:
Quote:
I guess due to unforeseen circumstance jemimah has more or less abandoned puppy.

I have not followed her whereabouts closely but remember her or someone knowing her told us she is totally absorbed at her new regular work. So she has almost no time for Puppeee anymore. But that is old news so could have changed recently.

The website puppeee.com and attached forum have disappeared also. It feels like Jemimah has abandoned puppy.

That is not like her. Must be something drastic going on then. I mean did she not tell before it was shut down or here?
I do remember vaguely she mention the new job took all her time.
No time left for private computing as I remember. Not sure. I look for it

here is the post I vaguely remembered Smile Oh dear my poor memory.

jemimah wrote:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:11 pm Subject:
Subject description: Fluppy 013 End-of-Life?

Quote:
edoc wrote:
Is Fluppy 013 the end of the line for development?

Just wondering.

Maybe. Probably until I get another job where I'm chained to a desk with nothing to do.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=537250#537250

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 11:11    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
Guess its time for me to investigate the CORRECT driver for my HP Photosmart instead of the 'close enough' Gutenprint one. I think that means the whole HPlip thing Smile

It's not a big deal. Get them here.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 11:16    Post subject: How about a Printer-Driver Dialogue  

Hi 01micko & All;

rcrsn51 -- Quote:
I just received a PM from a user suggesting that Puppy should include drivers for EVERY printer.
01micko:-- Quote:
Erm, wouldn't that double the size of the iso.. and then some? I don't think an OS that exists can ship with EVERY driver.
Connectivity is needed by almost everyone. I, myself, rarely print anything; I don't even set up printing until I need it and running several Puppies only need it on one. Fixing printing for a few at the expense of connectivity for everyone sound like a poor deal. Having to carry a printing driver whether it is needed or not sounds like a poor deal.
Surely this is arse backwards?
How about treating this problem like we do graphic drivers in some Puppies? i.e., the build-in module which determines which hardware your system has, a suggestion as to which would be the "driver" your system needs with an option to download it?
Note "driver" as used here would have to include everything necessary for it to function.
It would conserve space needed by ISO but, of course, need work by someone who knows what he's doing -- which leaves me out.

mikesLr
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 11:23    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote:

It's not a big deal. Get them here.

Thanks. Installed. Works. Bookmarked. Brilliant. Smile

JonT

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 11:25    Post subject:  

Manual frugal install and first boot of slackob3 went smoothly. Overall, very nice.

I tried pns-tool; it connected fine. I followed the instructions about editing files. On reboot, wlan0 was re-established but the dhcp connection was not made. Should it have been? Perhaps I erred in the file alteration steps. Rerunning pns-tool, not bothering with file editing, worked again. Noted that the editing features are not yet implemented. I have had good luck with SNS, Dougals' and Frisbee - advantages of being behind the times with hardware.

Brookdale black screens appear, sometimes, on reboot, not unexpected; however b3, unlike b2, gives me the the famous MHHP kaleidoscopic patches, sometimes. Disadvantages of being behind the times with hardware.

I notice that right-clicking the networking tray icon gives network status info; it didn't for me in b2 (didn't report it).

Yep, had to use flloopfix to get good synaptics touchpad behavior. It is necessary to run flsynclient first (or create some files manually) and save the settings before running flloopfix, then an X-restart after.

I am not so presumptious to assume I can tell you, 01micko, something that you don't know on any linux subject but you did ask for help.
01micko wrote:
*Synaptics is still a pain! I rolled back to flsynclient-0.6 but still need to run flloopfix.. help!

Here's my best shot. I note that lupu 528, and perhaps others, have a pre-existing file /usr/share/synclient/xorg.conf2-Synaptics containing default settings for synclient, utilized by /usr/bin/synclient.sh. Perhaps this approach would work for you rather than having to create a file via flsynclient (in flloopfix) to insert into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Please ignore this suggestion if it is on the dumb side of OK. Here's the small file,synclient.sh, (remove .tar.gz extension to read) (Edit: fixed BBCode for quoting)
synclient.sh.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  synclient.sh.tar.gz 
Filesize  2.02 KB 
Downloaded  140 Time(s) 

Last edited by JonT on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 19:11; edited 1 time in total
majorfoo

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 12:37    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
01micko wrote:
I am leaving gutenprint out of the main iso with a message to down load it from the Setup menu in PPM (not until B4 Wink ) That will save 3M, but it is already spent mostly by broadcom.

I just received a PM from a user suggesting that Puppy should include drivers for EVERY printer.

I have a Brother-Hl2140 laser jet printer which was not recognized in 4.99.5 until I d/l the usb pet provided.

rcrsn51 - I have a question for you. The Brother HL2140 is not shown in list where you browse for printer. I have been using brother-2040 which was recommended printer in other versions of puppy. Should I continue with this or d/l driver for this specific printer?

thanks
majorfoo
MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 13:14    Post subject:  

JonT wrote:
Brookdale black screens appear, sometimes, on reboot, not unexpected; however b3, unlike b2, gives me the the famous MHHP kaleidoscopic patches, sometimes. Disadvantages of being behind the times with hardware.
Rats ..., thought I suggested a smart (!) Brookdale remedy, but maybe it only works with my set-up Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes /MHHP

Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
Nämen, vaf.... ln -s /dev/null MHHP
ecube

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 13:16    Post subject: Vanishing tray buttons  

I am having problems configuring jwm.

When I add panel buttons, the buttons at the right corner of the tray disappear (jwm0.jpg).
My new launch buttons show up in a normal way. (jwm1.jpg)

Any suggestion about how to recover the lost buttons will be most welcome.

[/img]
jwm1.jpg
 Description   New panel buttons
 Filesize   11.83 KB
 Viewed   715 Time(s)

jwm1.jpg

jwm0.jpg
 Description   Vanishing tray buttons.
 Filesize   3.74 KB
 Viewed   707 Time(s)

jwm0.jpg

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 13:23    Post subject:  

majorfoo wrote:
I have a Brother-Hl2140 laser jet printer which was not recognized in 4.99.5 until I d/l the usb pet provided.

Please post questions about Brother printers here.
rodin.s

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 13:39    Post subject: xorgwizard  

Something was changed in xorgwizard. I couldn't start X in 4.99.5. (I have integrated i810 and pci savage cards. Savage is active.). I have copied xorg.conf from 4.99.4 to start X.
JonT

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 14:01    Post subject:  

MHHP,
rerwin asked me do some testing some testing during lupu development. Here is his conclusion and a followup .

He determined that my Brookdale (rev 3) was yet another subversion/subvendor than other rev 3's. It ignored his fixes.

Your efforts have surely been helpful to some; it just may be be a custom fix is needed for each subversion. I think mine is especially uncooperative.

Got excited the other day and thought my laptop was about to die but, sadly, it perked up again.

rodin.s: Your note just appeared. My Intel integrated graphics Brookdale works best with i810 and worked (some) better with b2... maybe you're in the same boat with me! Jon
Page 6 of 13 [191 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: