Slacko B3

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#46 Post by rcrsn51 »

01micko wrote:Oh it was there all right, just that "no-xcb" version from Barry's compile fest for wary/racy
I looked in my puppy_slacko_4.99.5.sfs and couldn't see it.

If you installed the Canon scanner driver, you would have given it to yourself.

rcrsn51

#47 Post by rcrsn51 »

01micko wrote:edit:
Since Slacko now has libusb-1.0, the better package to add is libusb-0.1-compat.
praytell a version? link?
Here. My Canon pixma scanner backend is built this way - with libusb-compat-0.1 and libusb-1.0. However they claim that you can stick with the original libusb-0.1.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

rcrsn51 wrote:
01micko wrote:Oh it was there all right, just that "no-xcb" version from Barry's compile fest for wary/racy

ah I see what happened, Barry's package took out the older usb lib, I wonder if wary/racy has usb problems? woof issue

Code: Select all

yes|libtiff|libtiff|exe,dev,doc,nls
yes|libtool|libtool|exe>dev,dev,doc,nls
yes|libusb||exe,dev,doc,nls
yes|libusb1|libusb|exe,dev,doc,nls
yes|libvorbis|libvorbis|exe,dev,doc,nls
no|libvpx|libvpx|exe,dev,doc,nls
That is supposed to get the different versions.. but Barry's overwrote the slackware version
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rcrsn51

#49 Post by rcrsn51 »

01micko wrote: I am leaving gutenprint out of the main iso with a message to down load it from the Setup menu in PPM (not until B4 :wink: ) That will save 3M, but it is already spent mostly by broadcom.
I just received a PM from a user suggesting that Puppy should include drivers for EVERY printer.

01micko

#50 Post by 01micko »

I just received a PM from a user suggesting that Puppy should include drivers for EVERY printer.
Erm, wouldn't that double the size of the iso.. and then some? I don't think an OS that exists can ship with EVERY driver

rcrsn51

#51 Post by rcrsn51 »

Maybe Ubuntu has spoiled people.

In any case, I run Quirky constantly with the libusb-compat-0.1 and libusb-1.0 combo from the source above and have never had a problem with USB devices. But the only devices that ever seem to need it are the Canon scanners. So I don't know why BK is now making the change.

01micko

#52 Post by 01micko »

jim3630

#53 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:Here is Chromium-16 for Slacko. It was made and tested in B2.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/chrom ... slacko.pet
Thanks!

rcrsn51

#54 Post by rcrsn51 »

Yes, that's the same version the Canon scanner backend has. And it saves you 8K by using it instead of the full libusb-0.1!

Jim1911

#55 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:

ah I see what happened, Barry's package took out the older usb lib, I wonder if wary/racy has usb problems? woof issue

Code: Select all

yes|libtiff|libtiff|exe,dev,doc,nls
yes|libtool|libtool|exe>dev,dev,doc,nls
yes|libusb||exe,dev,doc,nls
yes|libusb1|libusb|exe,dev,doc,nls
yes|libvorbis|libvorbis|exe,dev,doc,nls
no|libvpx|libvpx|exe,dev,doc,nls
That is supposed to get the different versions.. but Barry's overwrote the slackware version
Racy has the same problem. It does not recognize my HP c4280 Photosmart.

Jim

01micko

#56 Post by 01micko »

Jim, try that libusb-compat I compiled, might work in racy, I don't think it linked to anything externally

EDIT: I'm telling fibs! It links to libusb-1.0 but that is a wary version since the slackware version got clobbered! (hehe.. only this once :wink: )
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#57 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote:Racy has the same problem. It does not recognize my HP c4280 Photosmart.
Makes sense. However, your Lighthouse 64 problem is an entirely different issue. I don't know what it would be.I have posted the newer hplip_print_fd64-3.11.7.pet here. But I can't see how it would make any difference.

Jim1911

#58 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Jim, try that libusb-compat I compiled, might work in racy, I don't think it linked to anything externally
I installed your libusb-0.1.12-w5.pet which allowed me to install the printer in Racy, however, it would not print, sorta like the problem rcrsn51 mentioned that I had in LHP. Although installed, it will not print. I also installed your libusb-compat, it still will not print in Racy which I'm posting from now. I'll report this on the Racy thread.

Jim

Sage

#59 Post by Sage »

Everyone knows that we don't have proper moderation on this Board, but jim3630 - you need to truncate your script on page 2 according to the rules so that we can not only read your contribution, but everyone elses' on that page.

Don't know the cause but attempts to d/l B3 yesterday were showing over 8hrs? Just got it this morning in 4mins!

jim3630

#60 Post by jim3630 »

got page 2 post sorted now.

Sage

#61 Post by Sage »

Good man, Jim lad!

This massively good distro would be immensely improved if it adopted the browser choice at the outset like Luci, instead of foisting Hobson's Choice upon unsuspecting punters! Might also save some space?
OR: make netsurf/dillo the default gateway to mainline browsers?

The board lies: it claims one editorial change: there were two.
Last edited by Sage on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 07:30, edited 2 times in total.

DaveS

#62 Post by DaveS »

playdayz wrote:Here is Chromium-16 for Slacko. It was made and tested in B2.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/chrom ... slacko.pet
Running from sfs, gives the highest Peacekeeper score I have ever seen on my old Acer lappy. Firefox 7 2700, Ch 16 4500.
And I can FINALLY load a local page :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#63 Post by 01micko »

Don't get too attached to B3, B4 is cooking, with all those libs mostly going to slackware versions. Probably should have been from the start.

Sage, I do agree about having browser choice, just there is I believe also a necessity to have a decent browser on the iso. I am trying to stick to the woof formula too, so when I come up with the answer (which is an sfs auto loaded on the iso, just the implementation part of the answer is lacking), then it will be done! Just too late for this version.

Sage

#64 Post by Sage »

Thanks for your consideration, mick. I suppose it all comes down to the definition and use of 'decent'. Perhaps one could argue 'adequate'? Not sure how the guys over at Luci came to their strategy or how they implemented it, but it's nice to see choice pop up at an early stage. Politicians like to talk about choice, but they usually mean their choice! No need to parrot their behaviour?!

DaveS

#65 Post by DaveS »

Sage wrote:Thanks for your consideration, mick. I suppose it all comes down to the definition and use of 'decent'. Perhaps one could argue 'adequate'? Not sure how the guys over at Luci came to their strategy or how they implemented it, but it's nice to see choice pop up at an early stage. Politicians like to talk about choice, but they usually mean their choice! No need to parrot their behaviour?!
Guess my behavior is not typical then... download the iso, remove included browser, boot up, symlink Seamonkey (latest beta), Firefox (latest beta),symlink Opera, and sfs Chromium. :)
Maybe there is something wrong with me...............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!