Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: pppd

#16 Post by BarryK »

rodin.s wrote:I couldn't get online with Racy:

Code: Select all

# pppd call 1xevdo
pppd: error while loading shared libraries: libpcap.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Oh! Yes, somehow I left out a package. Install this:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... .1-w5c.pet

Please let me know if that fixes it!
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

tronkel wrote:Racy Wary automatically detects the internet (eth0 interface) and the Radeon (radeon) video driver.

If I try to exit to a prompt, the computer freezes up completely and have to do a hard reset. I then can't get a chance to create a pup_save file, because the same thing happens on trying to reboot.

The xorg.conf file confirms that the radeon driver is in use, but there is also a second 'Device' section where the vesa driver is listed. That seems a bit strange.

I'll have a go with the due-to-arrive Wary with the earlier kernel and the earlier Xorg version. I suspect that video would be OK with this. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the hard work. It's running very fast on this hardware.
tronkel,
There might be a fix for the lockup. With Slacko they found for radeon that they had to change this file:

/etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf content:

options radeon modeset=1

Change to this:

options radeon modeset=0

Then you will need to reboot. The kernel will load the radeon kernel module without KMS.

I am very interested to know if that fixes it for you, will then make that change permanent.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

tronkel wrote:Running Wary 5.1.99 now

As I thought, the X problem causing the machine to freeze now doesn't happen on shutdown. The xorg.conf now has the radeon driver correctly listed in the Device section and no second Device section showing the vesa driver.

So this then seems like an problem with the 7.6 version in Racy.

Will explore further
Ah, I posted a response to tronkel before reading your later posts. Yes, they found that out in Slacko, that KMS has to be off for Radeon. Ok, I will set that as the default.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: AMD Fusion E350 emachines d443

#19 Post by BarryK »

raffy wrote:Boots directly to X with profile #PuppyHardwareProfile=AMD_ATOMBIOSAUO
(this has been identified in Fatdog64-520 and Slacko discussions as a Vesa driver profile)

Resolution 1366x768 is working, but CTRL-ALT-BKSP or "Exit to Prompt" does not work (just gets blank screen).

Now about the mysterious crash in this machine, soon after successful boot to X (observed in other new Puppies): it looks like a network probing crash, as Racy works until the network wizard starts its probe (The other new Puppies automatically launch network detection after booting to X.) I have observed this consistent crash only in this laptop and only when using the new Xorg (ie, newer than Wary's Xorg).

ISpup (based on Quirky 120) as well as Wary do not crash in this machine, but they have no usable wifi drivers (ISpup based on Quirky 120 used Broadcom driver compiled by pemasu).
Raffy,
Can you open up /var/log/Xorg.0.log and confirm which driver is actually used. You might find in that file that it loads vesa_drv.so, but that does not mean that is what it actually uses -- you would need to read through the whole file.

tronkel

#20 Post by tronkel »

Re radeon driver. I tried jduffy22335's suggestion and used the kernel cheat code"puppy radeon.modeset=0" - which worked. This will be similar to your suggestion about modifying the radeon.conf file (which I will also try - thanks for the suggestion - that will persist the setting over a reboot, something that is not possible unless the Live CD is remastered with the extlinux configuration altered to include the cheat code).

Things are still not good yet though. Frame rates in YouTube videos are very slow at full screen - even at lower resolutions.

If I remember correctly in-built kernel support for ATI drivers was first introduced in k-2.6.33. I had similar problems to this when using Fedora at that time. Maybe a kernel compile is needed that removes the built-in support for radeon and uses a loadable module instead. Not sure if that would make a difference - might be worth a try. Or what about a re-compile of the radeon open-source driver itself for the kernel that Racy uses?
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

mave

failure in puppyinstaller

#21 Post by mave »

Hi Barry,

while reporting trouble of un/mounted drives in puppyinstaller I didn't looked closer, sorry. That's not the problem, but puppyinstaller script breaks in Racy when going "CONTINUE" on my test machines:

Code: Select all

# ./puppyinstaller

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 1, near token '(null)': syntax error

aborting...
./puppyinstaller: line 589: [: too many arguments

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 1, near token '(null)': syntax error

aborting...
# 
Some changes....?

mave

tronkel

#22 Post by tronkel »

Re radeon driver.

OK, options radeon modeset=0 in /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf works OK.

Just need to make sure that the setting gets persisted over a reboot by make sure that the computer is powered down in an orderly fashion by using the "poweroff" menu item in JWM menu shutdown. It the machine freezes by using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, then this setting will get lost.

Slow framerate is still there though as is to be expected with no kernel modesetting.

This problem also turned up in an Ubuntu Maverick Beta version I think it was. A subsequent PAE kernel update seemed to fix it at that time.

Wary 5.1.99 doesn't have this problem at all. Seamonkey seems fine in both versions. Haven't experienced the Bootmanager lock-up in Racy.

raffy

Xorg log file

#23 Post by raffy »

Have added "radeon.modeset=0" at kernel line, and am able to connect now via ethernet, no more crash.

[Additional: I can't select text in textbox with the shift key nor with the touchpad. Creating directory in Rox gives un-highlighted "New dir" for the name. And save file can't be created because shutdown just blanks the screen.]

The Xorg log file (after radeon.modeset=0) is attached.
Attachments
nomodeset-Xorg.0.log.gz
Xorg log file from /var/log in AMD Fusion E350 Radeon HD 6310 emachines D443 laptop.
(9.11 KiB) Downloaded 673 times
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

tronkel

#24 Post by tronkel »

raffy wrote:
save file can't be created because shutdown just blanks the screen.
If you tried to reboot to make a save file just after you set options modeset=0 from within Racy, your radeon.conf file will not be saved because of the system crash.

Try again to reset modeset=0 and then do a full shutdown via the JWM menu. This should preserve the radeon.conf changes. You can also boot your computer by adding:

puppy radeon.modeset=0 to the boot line when puppy boots. This will allow you to create the pup_save. Then make the required changes to radeon.conf and then close down normally. that should preserve the change to the radeon.conf so you can subsequently boot and close down as normal

rodin.s

pppd works now

#25 Post by rodin.s »

After installing libpcap-1.1.1-w5c.pet pppd works and I am online with Racy.

raffy

blank screen at save time

#26 Post by raffy »

tronkel wrote:raffy wrote:
save file can't be created because shutdown just blanks the screen.
If you tried to reboot to make a save file just after you set options modeset=0 from within Racy, your radeon.conf file will not be saved because of the system crash.
Oh, sorry, my previous statement was wrong - I guess that if the screen blanks at first shutdown, I could blindly press ENTER repeatedly to do a full shutdown and save file. I have done that in Fatdog64-520.

And FYI, I am using "radeon.modeset=0" in syslinux.cfg.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

scsijon

Wary 5.1.99 problems also Racy

#27 Post by scsijon »

Ext2? partitions

Everything was going well including the probe for intel setup (hooray and well done to fix this problem at last); until I tried to install wary 5.1.99 with PUI.

It said it did a partition sanity check before continuing and gave an error "cannot be unmounted,currently mounted rerad-write, does not have warysave.3fs file"; however at this point I haven't even chosen which partition I want to install it into.

I'm using a box with a sata drive and want to install into /sda2 a ext2 partition (as are all my puppy partitions as they share). Not sure where to go from here except hand the problem back to you.

lspci is:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 01)

Edit: Downloaded and tried the same with racy today, same result.

However, found that if I used an existing savefile that it could use, I got further before it died, Still wouldn't install though.

Edit 2: same result on another box that wary510 works ok on, beginning to wonder why....

regards
scsijon
Last edited by scsijon on Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#28 Post by Jim1911 »

Manual frugal installation on an ext3 partition. Everything works fine with one exception. Cups printer wizard will not recognize my HP 5280 Photosmart All-in-one Printer/Scanner. I've installed hpijs_print-3.11.3.pet and hplip_scan-3.11.3.pet which has worked great with lucid and previous Wary.

I had the same problem with the latest Slacko which 01micko corrected with his libusb-0.1.12-w5.pet.. 01micko was curious if I was having the same problem with Racy so I installed his pet in Racy. This enabled Cups to install my printer and it appeared to be installed properly and set as default but it will not print. Then I installed the libusb-compat but the HP 5280 will still not print.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#29 Post by Flash »

Multisession DVD working fine, as always. :D

gcmartin

Reporting Tools

#30 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @BarryK this is great.
I don't know if anyone has asked this question, but, I wonder if you would feel it appropriate to ask "which of the various tool(s) you would like us to use in reporting RACY information to you?"

In my past, I have been reporting with a combination of "Report-Video-GLX" and "hardinfo - r" from the terminal window. this has seemed to be a correct combination to provide distro owners an eyeful for their product's behavior. But, I'm not sure if this is adequate for what you would like to see..

This may be the wrong place to ask the question. If it is, please feel free to move.

Hope this helps.
Edited: . RACY has booted on a 2GB-1.8Ghz Athon, a 2.8Ghz Celeron, and a 4GB X2 without issues on bootup and/or save-session.. I look forward to your 5.1.99 beta which will include the oversight(s).

Wary did show signs of jerky behavior when running online multimedia.

alec78

PAE

#31 Post by alec78 »

Hi all,
Downloaded Racy 5.1.99 to try on the old Samsung X05.
Did a manual update of a USB dongle, i.e. swapped over the three files, shut down and then booted from the dongle.
Racy failed to boot with a message saying something like " Not a pae enabled processor please use a different version of Puppy".
Did a little googling, which seemed to infer that the pae kernel extension was for systems with up to 64GB of memory.
The Samsung is getting on but it is still a 686 Centrino CPU.
I then downloaded Wary 5.1.99, and I am having problems with that creating a save file. So it has been a real fun day.
Cheers

upnorth

#32 Post by upnorth »

On a budget intel dual core platform, 1440x900x24:

Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Booted to desktop fine from usb syslinux stick. Sound and net - good.

Latest libflashplayer.so works better than included version, (full screen blank and sticky settings window on 10.1)
---------------------------------
VIDEO REPORT: Racy Puppy, version 5.1.99

Chip description:
oem: Intel(r)Q33/Q35/G33 Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)Q33/Q35/G33 Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

Volhout

Racy 5.1.99 feedback

#33 Post by Volhout »

Racy has problems opening a wireless connection with a RT3090 wireless controller in an eee PC. See details in thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71902

Before Racy I installed Wary 5.1.99 on the same eee PC and failed to set the touchpad sensitivity due to a memory fault. Sorry I put this in the wrong section.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71912

I hope this feedback is of any use.

Regards,

Volhout

Karl Godt

#34 Post by Karl Godt »

THE RACYwary runs "as usual" on my pc :
Manufacturer: Fujitsu Siemens
Product Name: GA8IDX
Manufacturer: Giga-Byte Technology Co., LTD
Max Speed: 2400 MHz
Current Speed: 2400 MHz
Version: Intel Pentium(R) 4
Maximum Memory Module Size: 4096 MB
Maximum Total Memory Size: 12288 MB
Type: SDRAM
Installed Size: 256 MB (Single-bank Connection)
Enabled Size: 256 MB (Single-bank Connection)
Enabled Size: 128 MB (Single-bank Connection)
Enabled Size: 64 MB (Single-bank Connection)
cat /proc/cmdline
video=640x480 ROOT=/DEV/SDA4
. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
# echo $PUPMODE

Though I booted with that kernel-line the init found the savefile .
Sound seems to be OK though setup_alsa_func is commented :
/proc/asound/card0/id
I82801BAICH2
/proc/asound/card1/id
UART

One thing to consider had been , that the loading of the sound card drivers varies : sometime snd_intel8x0 gets loaded first and snd_mpu401 second and other days viceversa . [ maybe a "|sort -d" would had helped in rc.sysinit ] .

The missing libpcap could be fixed by copying it as -V 0.8 from a luci5pup and renaming it to 1 .

/dev/sda4 on /initrd/mnt/dev_save type fuseblk (rw,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/loop1 on /initrd/pup_rw type ext3 (rw,noatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=ordered)

Some useabillity problems are that mtpaint freezes totally saving layer'ed pictures , and rox also for some time at the /proc directory .

I decided to compile mtpaint from git 2.34.69 and simply './configure' on lhpup 443 it is working the same difficult as the racy mtpaint in racy .

I like the Icon theme , because of maybe becoming autumn here :
Attachments
drive_mntd_boot48.png
parts done in racy and others in lhpup 443
(2.34 KiB) Downloaded 2525 times

pemasu

#35 Post by pemasu »

Rox freezing when you enter /proc was the problem at the early stage of Dpup also. I reverted to use Barrys version from ibiblio repo; roxfiler-201012git-patched.pet

That fixed the rox problem in Dpup.