Racy Puppy 5.2.2 Final, 18 Nov. 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
jim3630

#121 Post by jim3630 »

xorg wizard does not give any choice of different drivers or resolution but cycles through and back to original resolution of 1600x900 on both external HDMI and computer monitors once quick setup has finished.

menu>setup>setuppuppy>xorg..wizard> resolution changer cannot get
external monitor to work via HDMI cable regardless of restarting xserver or rebooting when chosen different resolution than orginal 1600x900.

regarding apparent failure of multi-sound card to work with mplayer, same problem occurred in slacko and the solution was to regress one version of mplayer. is there an earlier version of mplayer for Racy might try? thanks

tronkel

#122 Post by tronkel »

Yep, I'm experiencing the same thing as Sage on this hardware here. Very slick and fast. Haven't tested everything yet though, but everything seems to work out of the box - even better than Wary 5.2 by the looks of it.

Sage seems to have issues with Seamonkey. Can't say that I have come across any problems with it so far. It runs faster than Google Chrome does on this system.

This version takes its place for me as the best currently available version of Puppy to date. I have about 10 or so various flavours of Puppy installed at any one time. All of them seem to work well, but this one is the fastest version by far for general web surfing and the normal daily tasks. Debian Wheezy is also slick on my system but this Racy is even slicker.

Can't be far to the final version now? This Racy Puppy is my preferred Linux distro of them all.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

shinobar

sfs_load-1.2.9

#123 Post by shinobar »

ANNOUNCEMENT: The on-the-fly SFS loader, test release: sfs_load-1.2.9.pet is available. Your feedback is welcome.
The first supports unionfs (Racy 5.1.110). Also expected to work on usual Puppy.
(Older versions did not support most recent Racy 5.1.110, kernel 3.0.7 with unionfs patch.)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64354
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

DaveS

#124 Post by DaveS »

Sage wrote:This one (.110) is fantastic. Everything works OOTB - sound, video, DHCP, etc. and shows none of the issues complained about above on any of my systems. So much better than all the other derivatives, even including Wary.

One tiny matter, (I think raised by DaveS?) : the display in 1024x768, but no other resolutions, is shifted a bit less than half-an-inch to the left. This is a new feature for me but not DS.
Ha ha... not guilty. I agree... a brilliant release. Only problem was my wifi, which was not autodetected and module not loaded but everything else is great. Even the touchpad :)
I hope there will be a 'tiny' version................
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

#125 Post by jim3630 »

DaveS wrote:
Sage wrote:This one (.110) is fantastic. Everything works OOTB - sound, video, DHCP, etc. and shows none of the issues complained about above on any of my systems. So much better than all the other derivatives, even including Wary.

One tiny matter, (I think raised by DaveS?) : the display in 1024x768, but no other resolutions, is shifted a bit less than half-an-inch to the left. This is a new feature for me but not DS.
Ha ha... not guilty. I agree... a brilliant release. Only problem was my wifi, which was not autodetected and module not loaded but everything else is great. Even the touchpad :)
I hope there will be a 'tiny' version................
lol hoping here for a "larger" version since can't get less than 1600x900. but think something is off a bit since can't see bottom of computer screen while external monitor shows all.

DaveS

#126 Post by DaveS »

BarryK wrote:
DaveS wrote:Unable to connect to internet. My Broadcom wifi not detected. Tried loading module... fail :(

EDIT: re-install, was able to load module. Survived re-boot, but no auto-detection.
Dave,
Have you looked in /var/log/messages, to see if there are any error reports about your broadcom interface?
If there are, post them here.
No.. no error messages
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

Re: grub4dos on Racy

#127 Post by jim3630 »

shinobar wrote:
Billtoo wrote:Grub4dos isn't working, I tried to run it from within racy and
nothing happened.
Will you take a favor?
  1. Boot up Racy with 'pfix=ram' boot option,
  2. Type on the virtual terminal:

Code: Select all

grub4dosconfig
I would like to know the messages on the terminal.
Shinobar not working on mine so here you go.

# grub4dosconfig
BINSTALLER=bootlace.com
sda(MBR)_500.1GB_ATA_ST9500325AS_
fd0_(FLOPPY_DISK)

gcmartin

#128 Post by gcmartin »

jim3630 wrote:installed ... multi-sound card appears not to work correctly. can not ...
Hi @Jim3630
This worked for me, and it might help you. - written by 01Micko

Hope this helps

jim3630

#129 Post by jim3630 »

gcmartin wrote:
jim3630 wrote:installed ... multi-sound card appears not to work correctly. can not ...
Hi @Jim3630
This worked for me, and it might help you. - written by 01Micko

Hope this helps
hey gcmartin, thanks for that. don't know what doing wrong here. click on a movie and sound comes out the laptop and click on same again and the second version of it outputs sound to the tv. go figure.

peebee

Wifi problem

#130 Post by peebee »

Hi Barry

Racy seems to lack support for my Broadcom B43 wifi on my HP550 laptop which works in other Puppies.

/lib/firmware/b43 is missing - I copied it across from lupu528

the b43 driver is not being loaded - I had to put
modprobe b43
into /etc/rc.d/rc.local

with these 2 changes, my wifi works with sns through reboots and I am posting this from Racy.....

I saw similar problems with the lupu528-k3.0.4 puplet from wuxiandianzi so it may be a k3 problem

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

DaveS

Re: Wifi problem

#131 Post by DaveS »

peebee wrote:Hi Barry

Racy seems to lack support for my Broadcom B43 wifi on my HP550 laptop which works in other Puppies.

/lib/firmware/b43 is missing - I copied it across from lupu528

the b43 driver is not being loaded - I had to put
modprobe b43
into /etc/rc.d/rc.local

with these 2 changes, my wifi works with sns through reboots and I am posting this from Racy.....

I saw similar problems with the lupu528-k3.0.4 puplet from wuxiandianzi so it may be a k3 problem

Cheers
peebee
Thanks Peebee, that will be it :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

ETP

Racy Puppy 5.1.110 (5.2 beta2 - 27 Oct 2011)

#132 Post by ETP »

Testing manual frugal install to fat32 USB2 stick with syslinux 4.04 boot and ext2 save file.
First boot to desktop with Vesa & DHCP network. Then changed to nouveau which correctly gave 1280x1024 with no left or right shift. A very good result. Having installed the SFS’s I then blacklisted the nouveau driver to force a reboot to the prompt & then successfully installed the latest NVIDIA driver.

I then loaded a couple of pets for testing & reporting purposes & changed to a static I/P.
In short a very smooth experience and the included version of Mplayer (SVN-r34150-snapshot-4.3.4) was a joy even handling difficult .mkv files as well as VLC.

A brief summary of tests can be found here: http://megaswf.com/serve/1195286

(play full screen & may need to press F11)
Last edited by ETP on Fri 28 Oct 2011, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

gcmartin

#133 Post by gcmartin »

@BarryK
The items you wanted tested have been done. Here are the results:

The newer Internet Connection Wizard and Hostname tools make changes appropriately. If anyone sets the hostname to "RACYRC-test1", for example (or any name following standards), all fields in the system reflect, correctly, the change.

Code: Select all

# hostname
RACYRC-test1
# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost RACYRC-test1
192.168.1.1 pc2
192.168.1.2 pc3
192.168.1.3 pc4
# cat /etc/hostname
RACYRC-test1# 
# echo $HOSTNAME
RACYRC-test1
But, after desktop restart, the tools do not correctly reflect the system's hostname. (See attached). Might want to review the tools.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
Hostname Offer.png
Tools have correctly set the system's hostname. Shown above, But
after desktop restart, the tools are not showing correct hostname.
(164.86 KiB) Downloaded 850 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 28 Oct 2011, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

Webcam app

#134 Post by mavrothal »

Is there any webcam application for/that works with Racy/Wary?
Are pretty useful and almost omnipresent in laptops the last 5-6 years.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

pemasu

#135 Post by pemasu »

In console: mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:width=768:height=450:device=/dev/video0 -fps 30

That works with my laptop.

mavrothal

#136 Post by mavrothal »

pemasu wrote:
In console: mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:width=768:height=450:device=/dev/video0 -fps 30

That works with my laptop.
In mine too, thanks.
But I was thinking more along the lines of guvcview, wxcam, Cheese etc.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

veronicathecow

Racy issues

#137 Post by veronicathecow »

On Asus M4A78LT-M LE AMD 760G Socket AM3 Integrated ATI Radeon 3000 2 Gb RAM
Running Racy 5.1.110 from CD

Pmusic. Clicking on tray icon does not display/hide Pmusic if it is started by opening an mp3 file but does if started from menu system.

When running quick setup a single click on drop down box shows the list but disappears. A second click and it appears and stays up.

A newbie might assume that a calculator icon is for a Calculator rather than a spreadsheet program.

As always thanks Barry for your hard work especially the help text on the first run wizard. A simple explanation and then a technical explanation, absolutely brilliant. If only all Linux programs etc had this it would make it so much easier for people at entry level of knowledge 8-)

veronicathecow

#138 Post by veronicathecow »

Mplayer. when choosing full screen I get a small image with a large yellow border. I think it is displaying at the native resolution but won't go above.

Sound. As always with any Linux install I have ever had sound very low, in this case almost off. Is there any chance that a sound setup could be included in first run dialogue to allow channels to be selected and volumes changed. Thanks

raffy

AMD Fusion E-350 Test OK

#139 Post by raffy »

Impressive - both network cards (AR8152 and BCM4313) are working and the RadeonHD 6310 display is set correctly at 1366x768 - testing eMachines D443 AMD Fusion E-350.

This machine used to need a cold-boot to W7 (for the right graphics drivers, I suspect) before it can be usable (warm-booted) with the other new Pups. Now it can be cold-booted from Racy.

Thanks, Barry.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

shinobar

Re: grub4dos on Racy

#140 Post by shinobar »

@jim3630 and billtoo
jim3630 wrote:# grub4dosconfig
BINSTALLER=bootlace.com
fd0_(FLOPPY_DISK)
I wonder if you cannot see the message regarding gtkdialog.
Press 'Cancel' button on the main dialog, then you shall get a message and then fall back to the prompt.
# grub4dosconfig
BINSTALLER=bootlace.com
fd0_(FLOPPY_DISK)
/usr/sbin/grub4dosconfig: line 581: 24105 Terminated $GTKDIALOG -p DIALOG -c >&/dev/null
#
If it does not fall back to the prompt(#), i suspect that the gtkdialog3 is freezing.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]