Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#676 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Tman !!
I am using Thunar now in Saluki. I can manage, lol.
I have to admit that when you know what you have...using other puplet and you are somewhat at loss until you get accustomed...
Hmm...I should quickly back it now, lol.

Tman

#677 Post by Tman »

Your welcome, Pemasu.

Yes, Saluki has many impressive advancements, but you're right..it does take some time to get accustomed to it. I mostly use Exprimo now, which I have remastered with my preferences. But I like to check in on Saluki every couple releases to see how it's progressing. Jemimah has been a very busy lady!

soundNICK

#678 Post by soundNICK »

pemasu / other exprimo users

my monitor just stopped working... I replaced it with an LCD,
problem now is, Im not finding, in xorgwizard, the resolution this
monitor needs.
xorgwizard has all the 4x3 proportioned resolutions (and some other),
but this monitor is proportion 4 x 2.5 so, instead of 1024x768 I need
1024 x 640. Otherwise all graphics / icons / whatever, appear "stretched"
like funhouse mirror. NOTE: I did find two that work, proportionately,
but they are 1600 wide and 1400 wide, which makes icons/font way
too small.

any exprimo users know how to add a new resolution which xorgwizard
can use ?

thanks for looking

soundNICK

pemasu

#679 Post by pemasu »

Soundnick. Hmmm....sounds like you have had museum visit. What kind of LCD is that. I havent tinkered with resolution specs manually. I have always used just xorgwizard or grandr or LXrandr.

But there is xrandr command which you could try. Here is one thread about using it:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 816#545816

Xrandrshell seems to be linked to the personalize settings app.

soundNICK

#680 Post by soundNICK »

pemasu wrote:Soundnick. Hmmm....sounds like you have had museum visit. What kind of LCD is that. I havent tinkered with resolution specs manually. I have always used just xorgwizard or grandr or LXrandr.

But there is xrandr command which you could try. Here is one thread about using it:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 816#545816

Xrandrshell seems to be linked to the personalize settings app.
pemasu - you are so funny_ a museum visit_ ROFL : -)

about kind of lcd... you may be thinking of "lcd" little glowing numbers
on calculator... no... this is 17 inch LCD flat monitor... cheapo kind...
but mostly OK, and, it starts instantly in cold weather.

I went looking earlier today, and found at least xrandr...
just now finished setting up all the xrandr lines in a file so I can reuse
modes and so forth

I suppose other OS have some way to use those big wide LCD
panels, but it just doesnt make sense for xorgwizard the way I am
used to it.

thank you for replying

PS - Iguleder was on the chat a few days ago, and gave you
a big compliment, saying 'pemasu has the most solid puppylinux
distro out there' (not an exact quote, but close)... and I agree : -)

soundNICK

Tman

#681 Post by Tman »

I compiled LXTerminal and its dependency, vte in Exprimo SMP. ( no problem :wink: )
The standard urxvt terminal does not have a copy and paste function (as far as I know).

My only problem with LXTerminal is that it won't load the /root/.bashrc file at startup, so I have to type . /root/.bashrc after LXTerminal launches.
If anyone has found a more automated way to do this, please let me know.

http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/dpup-apps/lxterminal/
-

Jim1911

#682 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

I requested some Bible software for linux on the Saluki thread which would also be great additions to Dpup Exprimo if you or someone else could prepare them. It's above my skill level. These are both super Bible resources for Linux.

1. Bibletime Bible study software for linux. Size probably will require sfs. Also see Bibletime here.
2. Xiphos Bible study software for linux. Size probably will require sfs.

Thanks,
Jim

pemasu

#683 Post by pemasu »

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0-dpup/bible/

It has needed clucene, sword and bibletime. You need also Qt4-4.8.0 libs....basic or essentials are ok.
Bibletime didnt launch from menu entry for me....but from console "bibletime" it starts ok. You can increase the font size by using qtconfig, launch it from console.

I dont know how workable the result is...my first time to compile those.

Anyway...I was last weekend in funeral of true christian believer. He had spent a lot of his retired time with church activities. His funerals were really touching. The priest had known him many years...his old friends told stories of his religion activities...

So...your asking came at the good moment :D

Xiphos wants Gnome 3 and gnome libs. I am afraid it is out of exprimo territory :D

Jim1911

#684 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

WOW, that was super quick. :D Thank you, IMO, of the two I requested, Bibletime is a better choice than Xiphos, although it would be good to have both.

However, it's not working on my laptop. I'll give it another try on my desktop.

Terminal error

Code: Select all

# bibletime
(BibleTime 2.9.1) FATAL: Error initializing directory cache!
Please report this bug! (http://www.bibletime.info/development_help.html)Aborted
# 
System info report shows software installed.

Your Exprimo continues to work great. It's fast, stable, and has almost everything.

Thanks again,
Jim
Attachments
sys-info-120304.gz
(9.29 KiB) Downloaded 215 times

pemasu

#685 Post by pemasu »

Jim1911. Yes I got that also. But somehow it started to work after couple of restarts. I dont think that I did anything special. Of yeah...I tested with 'strace bibletime' what stops it...and I noticed that it was indexing something...and a lot...and then the bibletime worked.

Jim1911

#686 Post by Jim1911 »

pemasu wrote:Jim1911. Yes I got that also. But somehow it started to work after couple of restarts. I dont think that I did anything special. Of yeah...I tested with 'strace bibletime' what stops it...and I noticed that it was indexing something...and a lot...and then the bibletime worked.
Reboot and restart X don't help. I can't find the strace command.

I'm headed to my desktop to give it a try there. Also looking forward to seeing your new kernel. Exprimo continues to get faster and better.

Thanks,
Jim

pemasu

#687 Post by pemasu »

Strace can be find straight from debian repo. I just dont understand how it could achieve the fixing. It just traces all system calls and shows them. But...it started to work immediately after using it.
Strange...I need to test with fresh frugal install without all my development stuff installed.

Jim1911

#688 Post by Jim1911 »

pemasu wrote:Jim1911. Yes I got that also. But somehow it started to work after couple of restarts. I dont think that I did anything special. Of yeah...I tested with 'strace bibletime' what stops it...and I noticed that it was indexing something...and a lot...and then the bibletime worked.
I get the same error on my desktop.

Thanks,
Jim

pemasu

#689 Post by pemasu »

Maybe google that error message would give some light to the problem. Task for tomorrow.

Also launching bibletime in debug mode would be good idea: # bibletime --debug

pemasu

#690 Post by pemasu »

Okay...new day...
I have debugged bibletime with strace command. The launching stops when it does not find /usr/share/bibletime/locale folder.
When I did install bibletime_NLS pet....bibletime launches immediately.

So...I have now repackaged bibletime so that NLS stuff are inside. Bibletime just wants localization to be included....so it is also babeltime... :D

jpeps

#691 Post by jpeps »

pemasu wrote:Okay...new day...
I have debugged bibletime with strace command. The launching stops when it does not find /usr/share/bibletime/locale folder.

So...I have now repackaged bibletime so that NLS stuff are inside. Bibletime just wants localization to be included....so it is also babeltime... :D
works...

Although it takes far less resources to read Mark Twain

Jim1911

#692 Post by Jim1911 »

pemasu wrote:Okay...new day...

It works great. I've posted info about it on the Bibletime thread and the same info on the HOWTO set up your own Bible study thread.

Thank you for providing us with this fine program from the CrossWire Bible Society.

Jim

jakfish

#693 Post by jakfish »

Running Dpup Exprimo on Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t multi-touch netbook.

Great pup, and many thanks for it. All is well except touch screen: screen resolution, wifi, sound, touchpad. Everything is fine. It's a first-rate OS.

The S10-3t needs cando drivers, but I do not find the hid-cando.ko (googling tells me the driver should be stock in kernels beyond 2.7)

For yucks, I followed tempestuous's HowTo Touch Screen, then modprobed hid-multitouch.ko. That activated the touch screen, but without any kind of calibration.

I was wondering if there were any suggestions/workarounds. I tried a remastered snowpup that had a cando driver, and I got the exact same problem: touch screen, but hopelessly uncalibrated.

I'm coming from an eee 900//puppeee setup, a wondrous setup, and so is yours.

All best,
Jake

pemasu

#694 Post by pemasu »

There isnt module hid-cando in kernel 3.1.10 specs. I wonder what module do its job. Needs investigating.

pemasu

#695 Post by pemasu »

What I have found so far....

CONFIG_HID_MULTITOUCH: HID Multitouch panels
General informations

The Linux kernel configuration item CONFIG_HID_MULTITOUCH:

prompt: HID Multitouch panels
type: tristate
depends on: CONFIG_USB_HID
defined in drivers/hid/Kconfig
found in Linux kernels: 2.6.38–2.6.39, 3.0–3.2, 3.3-rc+HEAD
modules built: hid-multitouch
Help text

About calibration. I have no knowledge since I dont have touch screen devices...but if there is something which should be enabled but isnt....I can improve the kernel or compile missing module.

Generic support for HID multitouch panels.

Say Y here if you have one of the following devices: - 3M PCT touch screens - ActionStar dual touch panels - Atmel panels - Cando dual touch panels - Chunghwa panels - CVTouch panels - Cypress TrueTouch panels - Elo TouchSystems IntelliTouch Plus panels - GeneralTouch 'Sensing Win7-TwoFinger' panels - GoodTouch panels - Hanvon dual touch panels - Ilitek dual touch panels - IrTouch Infrared USB panels - LG Display panels (Dell ST2220Tc) - Lumio CrystalTouch panels - MosArt dual-touch panels - PenMount dual touch panels - PixArt optical touch screen - Pixcir dual touch panels - Quanta panels - eGalax dual-touch panels, including the Joojoo and Wetab tablets - Stantum multitouch panels - Touch International Panels - Unitec Panels - XAT optical touch panels - Xiroku optical touch panels