Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Billtoo

#646 Post by Billtoo »

James C wrote:Problem is...

Code: Select all

# mtpaintsnapshot.sh
/usr/bin/mtpaintsnapshot.sh: line 2: /usr/local/psnapshot/psnapshot: No such file or directory
Isn't that a fine how do ya do? :)

James C

#647 Post by James C »

Just keep reminding yourself that testing is fun....... :lol:

pemasu

#648 Post by pemasu »

Thanks guys. I need figure out where did I throw out that directory. I did some cleaning to the sources but...I didnt mean to clean psnapshot away.
I do use always PrtSc button which is linked to the PupSnap, though. Anyway...I will fix it.

Edit. I think that now on....I will always leave one folder out and let you find out what folder is missing. It will enhance Puppy experience. Lol.

pemasu

#649 Post by pemasu »

I tested latest kernel 3.2.7 in Dpup Exprimo.
Attachments
kernel-3.2.7-dpup.jpg
(100.96 KiB) Downloaded 824 times

pemasu

#650 Post by pemasu »

I reuploaded the 5.X.13.6 so that psnapshot works now.

James C

#651 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:I tested latest kernel 3.2.7 in Dpup Exprimo.
I'd like to try it....... :)

pemasu

#652 Post by pemasu »

James C. Soon. I will probably use it when I download the woof I will use....
EDIT. James C. If you want just the kernel-3.2.7.pet...I can upload it and kernel sources also. Just tell.

Meanwhile...really nice Photo-0.62 image viewer. The difference...it shadows the desktop and creates instant darkroom of your desktop. Also you can enable or disable the thumbnail chain at the bottom and the menu comes down from the upper right section when you move cursor there.....I opened the exif information.

It needs Qt libs and....it works in e17...not in jwm....I didnt test other wm`s.
And no...this is not cheap advertisement to use e17. Everybody picks his/her choices...I just stated the facts I know so far....

But I like the feel of that viewer.

http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Pho ... ent=147453

jim3630

#653 Post by jim3630 »

5.X.13.6 frugal install ext4 hdd pfix=ram on dual p6100 hp. broadcom wifi driver auto-detected by frisbee and connection made without issue.

PrtSc linked to the PupSnap works as does everything tried so far. well continue testing over next few days. thanks

pemasu

#654 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Jim3630 of the feedback.
By the way...multimedia buttons are linked to the Deadbeef...since I havent figured out how to get all buttons to work with Pmusic...it has been long when I tried though.

gcmartin

Saving session to Exprimo5x136 Live media

#655 Post by gcmartin »

Problem
Cannot get system to save-session to multi-session CDRW. I Have problems trying to save session to the multi-session LIve media CDRW/DVDRW.

Scenario
  1. D/L and check md5 of ISO; found to be OK.
  2. Boot Laptop, skipping text keyboard message to allow system to go directly to FirstRUN on X-desktop.
  3. Setup FirstRUN as shown
  4. All fields and Hostname emerge as one should expect after FirstRUN
  5. restarts the deskop
  6. Install and test SAMBA 3.6.3 to the system.
  7. Menu>Shutdown to Reboot system expecting to see a screen to allow save session to CD; never happens.
  8. Repeated attempts also fail.
Question
Is this a bug, or is there a new procedure for prepping the system and for saving a session to CDRW?

If there is any info I can forward that would be useful, please request and I will gather for assistance.

Thanks in advance.
P.S. All issues with Hostname have disappeared in this release. And, SAMBA 3.63 installs and starts perfectly. Speed is just as fast before and after; even when files are being transferred to the Exprimo system

James C

#656 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:James C. Soon. I will probably use it when I download the woof I will use....
EDIT. James C. If you want just the kernel-3.2.7.pet...I can upload it and kernel sources also. Just tell.
I'm in no hurry, I can wait until you use it in an Exprimo build.As long as it's not too far away......... :lol:

pemasu

#657 Post by pemasu »

Gcmartin. Thank you of the bug report. I need to investigate the multisession problem. I dont ever use live CD booting so....I am a little newbie.
Anyway....It is Shinobar`s Pupsaveconfig that I use for saving. Does it not offer option for multisession saving ?

jpeps

#658 Post by jpeps »

pemasu: any interest in breaking from tradition and using real package names for the builtins? I'm hoping you have a better idea than I do what they actually are :)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 317#606317
Attachments
builtin-files.gz
(21.24 KiB) Downloaded 228 times

shinobar

Nvidia drivers in SFS

#659 Post by shinobar »

nvidia-glx + libGLU and SDL
nvidia-glx-sdl-295.20.sfs (UPDATE: 2012-02-22)
Dpup Exprimo both with kernel 2.6.39 or 3.1.10-dpup
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

pemasu

#660 Post by pemasu »

Thank You Shinobar !!!

pemasu

#661 Post by pemasu »

Jpeps. Builtin_files show the packages from DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-debian-squeeze and it is renamed as DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS when the distro is created...you will find that one in the same place /root/.packages.

Okay...for example the alsa-lib you wondered in that other thread...is package name in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-debian-squeeze ie DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS inside woof built distro.
It is woof way to include several packages in one package.
Lets take that alsa-lib row from DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS:
yes|alsa-lib|libasound2,libasound2-dev,libasound2-plugins|exe,dev,doc,nls

In woof when you launch 2createpackages script....it reads several files....I wont go now in detail...but it reads DISTRO_PET_REPOS and DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS-debian-squeeze and database files for debs and pets configured by those DISTRO*files...it reads the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS and starts to process the the debian squeeze .debs and creates in packages-squeeze folder named alsa-lib which has processed libasound deb and libasound2-plugins...there are also packages-templates which might modify the content of alsa-lib folder...so that something might be added or removed to the final alsa-lib content. Also it creates the alsa-lib_DEV folder where the libasound2-dev content goes.

So...alsa-lib is the combination of 2 debs and also packages-template alsa-lib folder add to the final alsa-lib folder aserver script.

I could create a package called pemasu_extraordinary and add into it whatever debs if they are found from Packages-debian-*-* files.
All above concerns .debs or other distro packages woof recognizes...like .rpm.

Pets are just pets. You can combine them before you put them to the woof and add pet.sceps content to the Packages-puppy-*-official database file and place the pet to the packages-pet folder.

So alsa-lib is metapackage or what ever created during woof packages processing from 2 .debs and also one .deb goes to the DEV folder.

Builtin_files lists these metapackages, packages which contain just one .deb and one .pet...all mixed.

Woof-installed-packages lists all package database files which are used as single packages.

To know what package is that kind mixed-metapackage and which one is single package...you need to check DISTRO_SPECS file and compare....

And remember....woof modifies those packages by using several methods in packages-templates folder...There is additional scripts...icons...definition files to add symlinks and remove files from the package. For example the xorg packages are heavily modified ie puppified.

This DISTRO_SPECS row tells you how many packages are sometimes combined.
Builtin_files cups is combination of several debs and also packages-template modify the result:
yes|cups|cups-bsd,cups,cups-common,cups-client,cups-ppdc,libcups2,libcups2-dev,libcupsimage2,libcupsimage2-dev,libcupsdriver1,libcupsdriver1-dev,libcupsppdc1,libcupsppdc1-dev,libcupscgi1,libcupscgi1-dev,libcupsmime1,libcupsmime1-dev|exe,dev,doc>exe,nls

jpeps

#662 Post by jpeps »

ah...thanks for the detailed explanation. So I'd really need more than one pet.spec file from woof-installed packages for a builtin package.

for alsa-libs (excluding devs).

libasound2: libasound2_1.0.23-2.1

libasound2_1.0.23-2.1|libasound2|1.0.23-2.1||BuildingBlock|1236K|pool/main/a/alsa-lib|libasound2_1.0.23-2.1_i386.deb|+libc6|shared library for ALSA applications|debian|squeeze||

libasound2-plugins: libasound2-plugins_1.0.23-1+b1

libasound2-plugins_1.0.23-1+b1|libasound2-plugins|1.0.23-1+b1||BuildingBlock|288K|pool/main/a/alsa-plugins|libasound2plugins_1.0.23-1+b1_i386.deb|+libasound2,+libavcodec52,+libc6,+libjackjackd2-0,+libpulse0,+libsamplerate0,+libspeexdsp1|ALSA library additional plugins|debian|squeeze||

pemasu

#663 Post by pemasu »

It wouldnt be me if I dont test. I like to experiment but sometimes reading is best....
I downloaded latest woof...added 6 more sfs layers to the init...used my latest 3.2.7 kernel and got working X.
But...jwm-xdgmenu app was missing and jwm menu was almost vanished. Then I recall that there was something about rarsa and jwm xdgmenu in Barrys blog. Okay....I hadnt used the needed xdg puppy pet. I installed it and basic things seems to work. Fixmenus fixed the menu before jwm -restart.

I have gone through puppy firmwares for realtek drivers and they surely missed a lot firmwares. Modinfo usage revealed the needed firmware. I added them and also removed some previously unnecessary firmware couplings in firmware.dep file. So....I have created divergence from woof provided firmware base and dependency checking file.

Not sure...if I need to do more than that....but that is the experimenting....lol.

Anyway 3.2.7 kernel provides now a lot realtek drivers.....

I suppose I will have beta testing build soon.

gcmartin

JRE on 5X136

#664 Post by gcmartin »

I have run into a problem in using the comibination of Exprimo %X136, JRE(s) PET, and LibreOffice PET.

To better explain, there is NO problem with Exprimo or Libreoffice. Its more of an in tnstallation issue with JRE V6 and JRE V7 that exist in the Exprimo Repo.

Both of these pacakage will install with any visible error. At the terminal I can "touch" each on these. But, applications which use JAVA are having issues findiing JRE V7. I REPEAT .... JRE v1.7...

By installing JRE V6, no such problems exist. And the JAVA applicaiions are NOT having any issues in finding JRE for their needs. I use 2 applications which use JRE; namely AngryIP (PET or the JAVA app direcly) and LIbreOFFICE which has a built-in Database.

Heope this steers uses correctly.

pemasu

#665 Post by pemasu »

Gcmartin. Okay. I will check it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67371
Warning! Some older versions of LibreOffice do not seem to work with Java 7. If you need any of the Java-dependent functions of an older LibreOffice release, you may want to use Java 6u30. (Writer, Calc and Impress usually don't need Java, but Base and Math may.)
If you are running LibreOffice 3.4.5, though, Java 7 shouldn't be a problem.
Last edited by pemasu on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.