Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
radky

#391 Post by radky »

A nice gift for the New Year...Thanks pemasu!

Billtoo

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

#392 Post by Billtoo »

I burned the iso to a DVD+R
I haven't made a save file yet, used SFS-Load on-the-fly to get this
far.

Dpup Exprimo SMP, version 5.X.10.3 on Tue 27 December 2011

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation Device 0de1 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v1p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nvidia

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

No error from Firefox, Nvidia driver working well.
I like the cool wallpaper :)

EDIT:I rebooted and made my save file to a usb hard drive, it's working well.
Attachments
nvidiascrn.jpg
(115.76 KiB) Downloaded 1056 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Wed 28 Dec 2011, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#393 Post by smokey01 »

Working well here too pemasu.

Thanks & Happy New Year.

backi

#394 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !

Installed the newest DpupExprimo to Usb stick .

Works fine .... all these problems i reported earlier are gone .
If i will find bugs -problems i will give you feedback .
Good work ......thanks man....

gyro

#395 Post by gyro »

pemasu wrote:I found also the reason to the sometimes appearing dbus error when launching Firefox or Seamonkey.
Some mysterious circumstance makes the /etc/dbus-1/session.d directory to vanish.
I found a "/etc/dbus-1/.wh.session.d" file in the savefile. Removed it, rebooted, dbus service now starts, and the problem is gone.

I am using a frugal install on an NTFS partition, with an ext3 savefile.

gyro

gyro

#396 Post by gyro »

Very interesting...

I just did a fresh frugal install of the latest .iso on the same machine, same partition.

1) During first boot (no savefile), it asked me for keyboard and locale.

2) At the xorg "Probe" / "Choose" screen. I selected "Probe".
With my Intel on-board graphics, this gave me a blank screen.
(I assume that xorg is displaying the resolution selection screen, but for some reason it does not show.) When I press the "Enter" key, it proceeds to the desktop with the default resolution (1280x800, depth 16).

3) No problem with dbus.

I then reboot and create savefile.

1) Boots to desktop with "next boot faster" message and shows extra sfs screen.

2) No problem with dbus.

Reboot.

1) Boots normally to normal desktop.

2) No problem with dbus.

So, has the dbus problem been "fixed"?
Or is it somehow caused by what folk do when they panic at the xorg blank screen?

gyro

pemasu

#397 Post by pemasu »

The /etc/dbus-1/session.d folder exists in main.sfs. I checked that it is not missing. I believe that some circumstance deletes it during usage. It has happened for me only once (with previous 5.X.10.3 version).
And I had savefile created. The .wh ie whiteout file means that there has been set flag, so that the file is not shown (it is deleted), Restoring it just needs that you remove the whiteout file. You cant really delete files or folders from read only main sfs, only flag them as deleted with whiteout files.

Why that happens unintentionally is the mysterious phenomenom. (of course there is explanation for it, but we just dont know that yet). Maybe it is due to some Firefox behavior, or some other app, which needs dbus. I really dont know.

I have made several test builds before I uploaded this latest version. I havent been able to reproduce the problem. With or without savefile and I have used my test versions as my main OS all the time.
So....lets see.....

mikeslr

Ati Radeon Graphics -- Small problem in dialogs

#398 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu & all:

Frugal install of Exprimo 5x10.3 to ext3 partition on Quad-core, 4x Athlon II X4 945, using Ati-Radeo 3100 Graphics. Lighthouse Video report indicates correct driver is in use.
When applications are opened which require input into a dialog box, the input field is obscured by a line. See attached. I can type into the field, and for a moment see the letter I typed, but the line returns almost immediately, obscuring the field and already typed in alfa-numerics.
Opening Frisbee, a large black box initially appears obscuring the "Encryption" and "SSID" sections. After a few moments the box reduces to a black line only obscuring the word "Encryption."
I recall having the same problem in some recent puplet, but don't recall which. Currently, it does not occur in 5x8 smp, but I don't recall if I'm using an alternate version (if there was one) or how I corrected it if it initially appeared.

mikesLr
Attachments
line.jpg
(47.37 KiB) Downloaded 920 times

pemasu

#399 Post by pemasu »

mikeslr. It sounds like your ati graphics and used graphics driver problem. It would be nteresting to hear if the problem vanishes if you compile ati proprietary driver and use it instead.

pemasu

#400 Post by pemasu »

01micko has created nice instantly showing cpu temp tray app. He calls it alpha product but I would say it is already functional and useful. Test it and give feedback if there is something to report.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74702

pemasu

#401 Post by pemasu »

Today I listened my children and my daughter`s boyfriend speaking about how spotify is the most used net radio player amongst youngsters.

My son also demanded awhile ago spotify for his dpup. His comp was broken so he was submitted to use old desktop with dpup exprimo. So I created Spotify Linux for dpup exprimo. I used Qt libs and libicu libs from Polarpup compiled stuff.

The binary spotify with other config stuff was downloaded from here: http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/

Today I decided to upload the result as pet and as sfs. Mostly the stuff was made so that my kids feels more familiar with Linux. The size is monster, mostly due to Qt libs and libicu. About 29 Mb pet and 26 Mb as sfs. But....well it plays fine. My daughter started to hit songs from dpup laptop immediately. Soon we had quarrel what we should play. It seems that we have somewhat different taste, lol.

I could make united Umplayer-Spotify pet, because they use about same Qt libs, you would get 2 multimedia apps in same libs dependency package.

Best solution would be, of course, upload Spotify for dpup and Qt-libs as separate packges, so further Qt needed apps would be as separate much smaller packages...But....well...here you go if you need just one multimedia app...

If somebody needs to satisfy his/her children demands, here you go.....

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... .2.291.pet

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... .2.291.sfs

Qt4 libs will be installed to the /opt so....reboot will be needed before the Qt4 libs are available. I have used Barrys method....maybe there is better way so that they are immediately available after installation. Or...maybe restart X is enough. Dunno.

Billtoo

#402 Post by Billtoo »

I've been using 5x10x3 for a couple of days and it's very stable.
I installed an Aurora pet that I made on top of your firefox and flash
works.Whatever you did to firefox fixed Aurora too I guess.
Anyways, having fun.
Happy New Year.
Attachments
Aurora.jpg
(181.18 KiB) Downloaded 711 times

pemasu

#403 Post by pemasu »

I have been messing now with ati installer to compile and install fglrx driver. I was succesful, though my dual graphics gives hiccups. Observations. I can now extract ati installer to the folder and make installation to spesified folder. Symlinks points then to that folder and needs to be fixed. When I make a pet of it, it misses some scripts which enables the result to be succesful. For instance libglx.so will not be overwritetten with proprietary one. Even by manually fixing that, I cant get fglrx and X working.
When I just run ati.run and autoinstall the fglrx with all the other stuff, I can get fglrx working.
When I revert back to the intel (onboard graphics) I have to manually restore libglx.so to the appropriate location. Otherwise synaptics is not found. I also restore working xorg.conf files (2 of them) back to the folder. Now I have synaptics back.

There has been 2 reports, at least, that synaptics is not loaded. It is possible that xwin (which autoconfigures xorg.conf file) delets the entries of synaptics section. And then the synaptics is not loaded.

In the future, if synaptics is not loaded, look to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and check the synaptics section, is it found, also check the last line of hardware profile, then check that harware profile named xorg.conf...something file also, if it is lacking synaptics section.
Hardware autoconfigure probably sometimes does not enable synaptics, that is my conclusion.

pemasu

#404 Post by pemasu »

Tubeguy posted about hanging shutdown when there is samba shared mount established. I have now tried to produce that bug. I have mounted windows comp share, opened text file there and then rebooted when that file is open. It....just....shuts...down....as...it....should.
I used Pnethood for scanning and mounting.

How can I create the hanging situation. I know there could be a improvement to offer...as Karl Godt has posted in Racy thread. But I dont like to include code to the woof2 provided scripts if I cant be sure it is needed and it will fix the problem.

EDIT. Now I tracked the tubeguy`s post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 126#590126

Using PupServer, it is not windows share. It is something else. NFS ? I am not familiar with connecting PupServer, yet...lol.
It is probably something with not unmounting that filesystem which PupServer provides. So....I would need to figure out first what filesystem is not unmounting properly.

peebee

#405 Post by peebee »

Hi pemasu

Gnome-mplayer seems to have a missing lib... see attached screenie

Doesn't work for me from either the desktop "play" button or the menu entry.

Cheers & Happy New Year
peebee
Attachments
image-2.png
(7.52 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#406 Post by pemasu »

Peebee. Nope. The /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4 and corresponding real lib has been there and gnome-mplayer does not complain of it in my dpup.
I suppose you have installed some lucid puppy pet which has overwritten the existing lib. I suggest you to restore the original ones from /initrd/pup_ro2.

About Pupserver and unmounting smb-cifs netshare. That seems tricky thing. The share has been mounted as:
/mnt/network/PUPSERVER/usr=root passwd=woofwoof and that long share name with space in the name is the reason that umount does not work. Umount does not like share names with spaces.
First I would need figure out how to umount that kind mount name. Then the fix could be transferred to the script.

peebee

#407 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:Peebee. Nope. The /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4 and corresponding real lib has been there and gnome-mplayer does not complain of it in my dpup.
I suppose you have installed some lucid puppy pet which has overwritten the existing lib. I suggest you to restore the original ones from /initrd/pup_ro2.
Thanks pemasu - that was the answer - I'd installed chromium-17.0.945.0-slacko.pet

both chromium and gnome-mplayer worked after i'd restored your libgconf-2.so.4.1.5

Thanks and very sorry to have been a nuisance
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#408 Post by pemasu »

Peebee. No problem. I have already learnt that this distro hopping presents problems which one puplet creator need to recognize. Nice that I was correct in my assumption, it helped to fix the bug asap.

Billtoo sent me nice multimedia package with umplayer and vlc with needed qt4 framework. I removed the stuff from the sfs which is not needed and I added Spotify into it. Now I have multimedia-vlc-umplayer-spotify-qt-4.8.0 sfs in 30 Mb. Not bad.

I tested the Umplayer and VLC mediaplayer with xvid packaged avi, mkv and mp4, all worked, also finnish subtitles worked oob.

Billtoo, thank you of your sfs and that you sent pm to me.

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... -4.8.0.sfs

Oh yeah. Happy Next Year !!!!! Let Your Puppy shine with you.

Billtoo

#409 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install to my emachines D620 laptop.
I installed the new multimedia-vlc-umplayer-spotify-qt-4.8.0.sfs

Sun 1 Jan 2012 Operating System: Dpup Exprimo SMP-5.X.10.3 Linux 3.1.0
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M
[Radeon X1200 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: RS690 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Core 0: 1595 MHz

It's working nice on this laptop.
Attachments
exprimoscrn.jpg
(174.16 KiB) Downloaded 1188 times

stu90

#410 Post by stu90 »

Hi Pemasu,
I haven't posted much lately - built the latest version of XBMC-11.0-Eden-Beta1 for D-lite will test it on Exprimo also.

http://i.imgur.com/lkRl9r.jpg

cheers.