Lost sound in Luci528

Using applications, configuring, problems
chard62

Lost sound after "resize personal storage file"

#16 Post by chard62 »

I have just spent hours fresh reinstalling (OK, so I'm slow) Lupu 5.2.8 to try and discover why my first install lost sound completely after many reboots and pet installs. I have discovered that the "resize personal storage file" is the culprit. After this step; no sound and Alsa mixer will not run, as it seems to not find any sound card. Running the Alsa sound wizard does not restore the sound. I cannot get any sounds at all, since running the "resize personal storage file". If I use my backed up personal storage file (from just before the resize) I'm back where I was before, with sound actually working!

playdayz

Re: Lost sound after "resize personal storage file"

#17 Post by playdayz »

chard62 wrote:I have just spent hours fresh reinstalling (OK, so I'm slow) Lupu 5.2.8 to try and discover why my first install lost sound completely after many reboots and pet installs. I have discovered that the "resize personal storage file" is the culprit. After this step; no sound and Alsa mixer will not run, as it seems to not find any sound card. Running the Alsa sound wizard does not restore the sound. I cannot get any sounds at all, since running the "resize personal storage file". If I use my backed up personal storage file (from just before the resize) I'm back where I was before, with sound actually working!
This is a very interesting result chard62. Thanks for taking the time to track it down. Several people have reported a similar result, that the sound card apparently disappears. I was thinking it had to do with updating from 5.2.5. What kind of sound card do you have?
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#18 Post by playdayz »

An update to my sound issue. For the time being, it is solved but I still do not understand why it behaves this way.

Setup -> Default Applications Chose -> Audio Mixer to Retrovol (from alsamixter).
loubapache, Where is this please? I can't find it in the Menu. Is it part of AlsaWizard? Thanks.

moijdikssekool

#19 Post by moijdikssekool »

I rebooted with the original pupsave and now have my sound back, don't know why
sound can disappear at any moment. In fact, we should save manually after a sound test. boring
"resize personal storage file" is the culprit. After this step; no sound and Alsa mixer will not run
no. If sound works before resizing and rebooting, sound is still there

loubapache

#20 Post by loubapache »

playdayz:

Defaults App Chooser was in my Menu -> Setup.

You can also launch it using "/usr/bin/defaults-chooser:.

I struggled more with sound in 5.28. Now I have a save file for each computer. Sound (the volume icon in tray) and network can easily be lost when using the savefile on a different computer. Once that happens, I just cannot get sound back unless I go with pfix=ram boot.

Anyhow, after about 10 days of struggle, I finally have a completely working 5.2.8 with languages, inputs, scanners, printers, etc.

Semme

#21 Post by Semme »

playdayz, loubapache has been referring to this.

chard62

Re: Lost sound after "resize personal storage file"

#22 Post by chard62 »

playdayz wrote:
chard62 wrote:I have just spent hours fresh reinstalling (OK, so I'm slow) Lupu 5.2.8 to try and discover why my first install lost sound completely after many reboots and pet installs. I have discovered that the "resize personal storage file" is the culprit. After this step; no sound and Alsa mixer will not run, as it seems to not find any sound card. Running the Alsa sound wizard does not restore the sound. I cannot get any sounds at all, since running the "resize personal storage file". If I use my backed up personal storage file (from just before the resize) I'm back where I was before, with sound actually working!
This is a very interesting result chard62. Thanks for taking the time to track it down. Several people have reported a similar result, that the sound card apparently disappears. I was thinking it had to do with updating from 5.2.5. What kind of sound card do you have?

UPDATE: I still haven't increased the size of my personal storage file, but sound has disappeared. Only action I took that caused this was running the Alsa sound wizard to find which driver was being used. I was very careful to not save any changes!!! Still, that seems to have killed the sound card's connection. When I reboot to 5.2.5 the sound is back again.

I use the AC97 chip embedded on my Asus motherboard, which is not properly detected by Alsa sound wizard. The chip is a Realtek ALC655 6-channel audio CODEC according to the Asus mb manual. The Alsa sound wizard finds a bunch of items; the first is Via82xx, which does not work when selected.

I don't know how to manually install a driver that will work, so I really won't be able to continue using 5.2.8 until the problem is found.

Thanks for looking,
if I can supply any useful info here, please let me know!

PaulBx1

#23 Post by PaulBx1 »

I was thinking it had to do with updating from 5.2.5
That can't be it. I didn't upgrade, I made a fresh pupsave. I have not resized the pupsave either.

chard62

Lost sound in 5.2.8

#24 Post by chard62 »

The issue that I have discussed here has become relatively clear now...I have discovered that audio works perfectly immediately after booting to the live CD. As soon as I run the Alsa sound wizard, my audio shuts down altogether, regardless of any changes/selections/ or just plain closing that wizard. I then need to reboot to the live CD if I want audio.

Does anyone know what driver or configuration files are responsible for functions of the audio card in 5.2.8? It would seem that this (or these) files get corrupted after running the Alsa sound wizard on my PC :-(

rerwin

Re: Lost sound in 5.2.8

#25 Post by rerwin »

chard62 wrote:...audio works perfectly immediately after booting to the live CD. As soon as I run the Alsa sound wizard, my audio shuts down altogether, regardless of any changes/selections/ or just plain closing that wizard. I then need to reboot to the live CD if I want audio.

Does anyone know what driver or configuration files are responsible for functions of the audio card in 5.2.8? It would seem that this (or these) files get corrupted after running the Alsa sound wizard on my PC :-(
Well, I know enough to be dangerous. I did some cleanup of the sound card selection and driver loading, so would like to find out exactly what is happening here.

Since the official word from the ALSA folks is that the wizard should not be necessary, it is possible that there is a problem with the card being automatically detected. If that were made to work, you could avoid using the wizard. But I am confused: if audio works immediately after booting, why do you need to run the wizard? Is it to select a different sound card?

Anyway, we can start by getting a pmodemdiag file (useful for things other than modems, too) before and after you run the wizard. Then reboot and run it a third time. Change the file names a little for each, before running pmodemdiag again for the next file. Then attach the files to a posting or PM, so I can look for evidence. Thanks.
Richard

chard62

sound missing 528

#26 Post by chard62 »

Thanks Richard, I'm going to try this now!

Richard

chard62

Lost sound in Luci528

#27 Post by chard62 »

I'm booting from a live CD ( 5.2.8 ) and usually using a USB stick for save file. It seems that if I connect a hard drive to hold the save file, I can't break the sound config by either running the ALSA wizard, or by resizing the save file. I copied the save file to a USB stick (from the HDD), and sound still worked. Then I copied the save file from one memory stick to another and now sound is broken in both save files! Ugh! This is driving me crazy :-(

I'm not sure how to proceed now...

Semme

#28 Post by Semme »

Hi chard62, leave this below method out of the experiment. Don't run any manual session saves either- reboot handles these.
It seems that if I connect a hard drive to hold the save file, I can't break the sound config by either running the ALSA wizard, or by resizing the save file.
Here I'd say run and name a copy of pmodemdiag (pmodemdiag-before.tar.gz as an example) while sound still works, then immediately reboot. If sound still works, run a fresh pmodemdiag and rename it to overwrite the previous- fresh is cleaner.
I copied the save file to a USB stick (from the HDD), and sound still worked.
Now again try alsawizard. If sound breaks, rerun pmodemdiag, only this time, save and rename it with an "after" in the filename (pmodemdiag-after.tar.gz). Incase you were wondering- pmodemdiag's run from a shell.

I'm sure the above would be suitable to start.

chard62

Lost sound 528

#29 Post by chard62 »

Here are the two "pmodemdiag" result files I got, one from 'before' when the sound was still working, then one 'after' when the sound stopped working (and was not repairable using ALSA sound wizard.). What procedure killed the sound? I'm not really sure, but my guess is a storage problem on USB memory sticks.

rerwin

#30 Post by rerwin »

chard62,
I have made an update taken from wary, that might help you. There seems to be a problem of restarting the sound function. Wary has a possible fix for that. Please try the attached package. You should be able to try it immediately after installing it, without rebooting. Just run the alsawizard while the sound is working. Thanks.
Richard
Attachments
lupu528-rerwin-test-alsa_patch-1.pet
may fix ALSA restart
(2.18 KiB) Downloaded 340 times

chard62

Sound 528

#31 Post by chard62 »

Hi Richard: should I run this on an installation where sound has just died?

Thanks, R

Semme

#32 Post by Semme »

Try it! If sound doesn't work, reload a working save and apply.

rerwin

#33 Post by rerwin »

chard62,
The fix is to prevent the sound from disappearing. The wizard was telling another script to restart the ALSA functions; but the script did not do anything. The wizard may kill sound in the process of probing for sound cards. It then attempts to restore sound card operation, but that didn't happen, so sound disappeared.

Bottom line: start with pfix=ram to get a working sound system, install the package, then run the alsawizard. The sound card should still function.

But, it would be interesting to know whether installing the package to a non-functioning sound system and re-running the wizard would actually restore operation. You might try both.
Richard

PaulBx1

#34 Post by PaulBx1 »

Rerwin, I tried your pet. For some reason my sound is not broken today - EXCEPT for the task bar speaker icon disappearing after having run alsa wizard (right at the start of running it, in fact). Your pet changed nothing in that respect. It did not bring the speaker back in a session booted from a pupsave residing on a flash drive. When I booted pfix=ram, and installed your pet, the speaker still disappears when I start alsa wizard.

I should note, to narrow this down a bit, if I boot pfix=ram to get the speaker back, then go to /etc/init.d and run "./10alsa stop", that makes the speaker go away too (which does not happen in Lupu 526). It also gives several error messages, like this:

Code: Select all

ERROR: Module snd_hda_codec_realtek is in use
ERROR: Module snd_hda_codec is in use by snd_hda_codec_realtek
ERROR: Module snd is in use by...
<later>
These errors come from the rmmod loop. Strangely, there is no change in 10alsa between 526 and 528. One interesting point is that if I put some 10 second sleeps in the loop and before it, when the speaker is already gone, the errors don't occur. But they do occur anyway on the first time, when I still have the speaker. Weird. Also with the sleeps I noticed the speaker goes mute when first starting the script, and then disappears after the first rmmod error message.

loubapache

#35 Post by loubapache »

rerwin:

Thank you for your effort.

I tried your pet and it did not seem to make a difference. I tried both ways.

1) pfix=ram and sound was working, installed your pet and sound (of course) is still working. After installing other pets, speaker icon disappeared and there was no sound. So the PET did not seem to lock the sound conf and settings.

2) When there was no sound, install your pet, run alsa wizard to get sound back, restart x to get the speaker icon back, save the session. However, on the next reboot, sound is gone again so I am back to square zero.

5.2.5 did not have any of these headaches.