[Solved]Partition doesn't show in Windows

Booting, installing, newbie
AlexC

[Solved]Partition doesn't show in Windows

#1 Post by AlexC »

Hello,

I have a almost 8 GB pen drive that i divided in two 3.73 GB partitions using GParted:

- a FAT16 partiton with Puppy Linux;

- and a NTFS partition (that i want to use for data storage)

The problem is that this second NTFS partition doesn't show in Windows, only the first one.
Using Windows disk manager i can see that the partition doesn't have any letter and that the partition status is "none".

Any solution for this?

Thanks!
Last edited by AlexC on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 23:00, edited 3 times in total.

AlexC

#2 Post by AlexC »

Ok, while playing around with Minitool Partition Wizard i found a error that explains everything:
"The new created partition cannot be used in Windows. Because Windows could only recognize the first partition on a removable disk"

This means that if i create the NTFS as the first partition, and another that can be EXT3 as the second partition, containing Puppy Linux, it may work... unless this makes impossible the successful boot of Puppy Linux... I'll try.

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

There ya go AlexC.. gotta be willing to persevere! Almost always more than one way to skin a cat.

AlexC

#4 Post by AlexC »

I did it!

Using Gparted, i created the first partition (intended for data storage), as NTFS, primary; and in the second partition i installed Puppy Linux (EXT3, primary, boot). Each partition have 3.73GB.

The result is preaty cool, since when i plug the pendrive in Windows the only visible partition is the first one, intended for data storage, and i can save files there. So i can still use the pen drive for that effect, and the other partition where Puppy is installed remains invisible and safe.

But i´m also able to boot Puppy Linux as usual, from the same pendrive. :)

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

AlexC :

Good result...and great that you posted back here as well.

But can you edit your post as solved.

>> Partition doesn't show in Windows - Solved.

Thanks mate....Chris.

AlexC

#6 Post by AlexC »

Done! thanks