newest kernel 3.1.8 & 3.0.16 test on lupu528

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wuxiandianzi

Re: burned and verified second copy of lupuk07,won't boot at all

#91 Post by wuxiandianzi »

otropogo wrote:Have just burned a second copy of lupu k3.0.7 to test the suggestion my first disk was scratched.

I burned the original md5summed iso with Burniso2cd using a different burner than last time (as burner defects were also suggested), and then verified the burn.

I then booted my Intel D865GLC desktop system with

Code: Select all

pfix=ram
, and the boot failed with the same error message as before.

I then took the disk over to the Toshiba laptop that has so far booted without apparent problems with the first disk burned. This time the laptop failed to boot as well, giving the same error message.

I can't detect even a hint of a scratch on the disk.
updated , Thank you!

otropogo

#92 Post by otropogo »

wuxiandianzi wrote:
updated , Thank you!
Have visited your download site, downloaded the puppy_slacko_5.3.sfs file and the md5.txt, and now realize I have no idea how to use them.

Is the md5.txt for the above sfs file?

How do I boot the sfs file? Why is it called Slacko instead of lupu?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

sszindian

Kernel-3.0.8

#93 Post by sszindian »

wuxiandianzi:

Installed the 308.sfs in Squeezed 4.99-2 Puppy.... All applications that I've tried so far, no problem!

I must say it is very, very, fast, it's hard to tell the speed from the 304 Kernel to the 308 Kernel as both are so close but it does appear that 308 has a slight edge on speed but then again, when everything with the new kernels in Puppy make it so fast to begin with, I just can't see how Puppy can get any faster?

At any rate, I'd say for sure the 308 Kernel looks like a real winner so far,at least in my book!

One thing I'm sure everyone would like to know... the advantages over the 304 Kernel?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

otropogo

Attention:Flash

#94 Post by otropogo »

beguiled wrote:otropogo
I thought they banned you? Did you make one of those sniveling apologies?
Flash!

Does this not meet your criteria for "useless bickering"? Is it time to lock this thread then, or does that only happen to threads started by otropogo?

I assume from you past rulings, that this sort of unprovoked personal attack on otropogo is considered fair game and good posting. Whereas any attempt of otropogo to defend himself is considered "useless bickering" and grounds for immediate moderation.

Since I'm not permitted to defend the truth when I've been defamed, perhaps you would be so good as to at least clarify my record of making "sniveling aplogies" to the moderators of Murga-linux.

BTW - I have NO IDEA who the poster quoted above might be. I certainly haven't responded to him under that name publicly or privately in recent months, if ever.

Is this the kind of posting you seek to encourage by your oh-so partisan "moderation"?

peebee

#95 Post by peebee »

Hi

Dowloaded the 3 files needed for a frugal install - sfs - vmlinuz - initrd.gz

Still the 2 main problems:
- woof pupsavefile routines don't work - see screenie - needs the pupsaveconfig pet loaded - this maybe because the partition is ntfs formatted?

- b43 wifi is not being recognised and firmware is not being unpacked (this problem also in Barry's racy with k3)

New problem - Seamonkey is in Chinese and I can't see how to make it English!!

Many thanks for these interesting experiments
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

James C

#96 Post by James C »

I had to be different so I made a bootable cd of Slacko-530 with your 3.0.8 kernel.Easier to test on different hardware running live.
Detected the graphics,sound and internet(wired dsl) on initial boot.On to more testing....
Attachments
Slacko-5.30-k-3.0.8.png
(24.16 KiB) Downloaded 1307 times

wuxiandianzi

hi

#97 Post by wuxiandianzi »

peebee wrote: - woof pupsavefile routines don't work - see screenie - needs the pupsaveconfig pet loaded - this maybe because the partition is ntfs formatted?
Peebee:
Thank you, I think the error in pupsave step has something to

/usr/sbin/shutdownconfig
this script leads sanity fails:

pupsavefunc() {
 sPTN="/dev/${SAVEPART} "
 SMNTPT="`mount | grep "$sPTN" | tr -s " " | cut -f 3 -d " "`"
 #ntfs uses /dev/fuse so '/dev/$SAVEPART' no good for grep... NOTE: this fixed later versions ntfs-3g, so this line actually redundant...

wuxiandianzi

#98 Post by wuxiandianzi »

otropogo wrote: How do I boot the sfs file? Why is it called Slacko instead of lupu?
K3.08 test on slacko-5.3
so, you need 3 files: vmlinuz-3.0.8 initrd-3.0.8.gz puppy_slacko_5.3.sfs

You'd better edit your "bootconfig" file. such as grub in menu.lst:

title slack puppy 3.0.8
  root (hd2,2) #this is my hdd,you should edit as your
  kernel /boot/s/vmlinuz-3.0.8 root=/dev/sdb3 ro vga=normal 
  initrd /boot/s/initrd-3.0.8.gz

otropogo

#99 Post by otropogo »

wuxiandianzi wrote:
otropogo wrote: How do I boot the sfs file? Why is it called Slacko instead of lupu?
K3.08 test on slacko-5.3
so, you need 3 files: vmlinuz-3.0.8 initrd-3.0.8.gz puppy_slacko_5.3.sfs

You'd better edit your "bootconfig" file. such as grub in menu.lst:

title slack puppy 3.0.8
  root (hd2,2) #this is my hdd,you should edit as your
  kernel /boot/s/vmlinuz-3.0.8 root=/dev/sdb3 ro vga=normal 
  initrd /boot/s/initrd-3.0.8.gz
Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm afraid it's beyond my skill level. I boot Puppy strictly from the LiveCD, I've tried remastering once, and it failed dismally. I was advised to use Woof! next time, and haven't figured out what Woof! is yet.

I'm one of those strange birds who believed when told that Puppy is easy to use. I guess it is, if you're able to fit your needs into the limited capabilities of Puppy. Unfortunately, those capabilities seem to wax and wane with every new update.

taca0

#100 Post by taca0 »

Kernel 3.08 in a pet file for use on woof??

Thanks!

wuxiandianzi

re

#101 Post by wuxiandianzi »

taca0 wrote:Kernel 3.08 in a pet file for use on woof??
here

ETP

kernel-3.0.8 on slacko-5.3 MAIN

#102 Post by ETP »

Wuxiandianzi:

Many thanks for this latest pup. Presently testing a manual frugal install on a fat 32 USB 2 stick. Initial boot to desktop with working sound & DSL wired Ethernet via DHCP. No problem creating an ext2 save file.

Changed to a static I/P & installed extra fonts together with the pets listed in my slideshow. I loaded the kernel sfs but could not get NVIDIA-Linux-x86-285.05.09.run to install despite trying numerous switches. I suspect that some symlinks may also be needed?
I then opted to successfully install the Nouveaux driver which has become a lot better of late.

A slideshow of tests can be found here: http://megaswf.com/serve/1201787
(Go full screen,enable sound & may need to press F11)

In conclusion, it is as quick as a greased otter, but my preference would be for Lupu 528 with the 3.0.8 kernel.
Last edited by ETP on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

wuxiandianzi

Re: kernel-3.0.8 on slacko-5.3 MAIN

#103 Post by wuxiandianzi »

ETP wrote:Wuxiandianzi:

Many thanks for this latest pup. Presently testing a manual frugal install on a fat 32 USB 2 stick. Initial boot to desktop with working sound & DSL wired Ethernet via DHCP. No problem creating an ext2 save file.

Changed to a static I/P & installed extra fonts together with the pets listed in my slideshow. I loaded the kernel sfs but could not get NVIDIA-Linux-x86-285.05.09.run to install despite trying numerous switches. I suspect that some symlinks may also be needed?
I then opted to successfully install the Nouveaux driver which has become a lot better of late.

A slideshow of tests can be found here: http://megaswf.com/file/1201682
(Go full screen & may need to press F11)

In conclusion, it is as quick as a greased otter, but my preference would be for Lupu 528 with the 3.0.8 kernel.
ETP:
Thank you,I want to know if you have modprobe Nouveau modules?
if so, you will not to be allowed to compile nvidia-XXX.
when boot, you can add this to you menu.lst or others:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdX ro  quiet nomodeset
after you load kernel sfs file. you can

mv /usr/src/linux/config to /usr/src/linux/.config
and

make prepare

make scripts
I can compile NVIDIA-Linux-x86-285.05.09.run on 3.0.8
You should exit X to prompt and compile nvidia-driver.
Or you can decompress NVIDIA-Linux-x86-285.05.09.run and compile it in X.

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-285.05.09.run -x

cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-285.05.09/kernel

new2dir make install

calexand

#104 Post by calexand »

When, and possibly why, did this all change over to Slacko in the stead of Lupu? What did I miss? Is this version of Lupu gone now?
Thanks,
CA

wuxiandianzi

re

#105 Post by wuxiandianzi »

calexand wrote:When, and possibly why, did this all change over to Slacko in the stead of Lupu? What did I miss? Is this version of Lupu gone now?
Thanks,
CA
Calexand:
Thank you.I want to say that kernel-3.0.8 on lupu_528 will be tested later.
I plan to test new kernel on any distro of "pup" contains:slacko lupu and so on.
It will comes soon.

otropogo

Re: re

#106 Post by otropogo »

wuxiandianzi wrote:
calexand wrote:When, and possibly why, did this all change over to Slacko in the stead of Lupu? What did I miss? Is this version of Lupu gone now?
Thanks,
CA
Calexand:
I plan to test new kernel on any distro of "pup" contains:slacko lupu and so on.
It will comes soon.
I'd like to see a Lupu_K3.08 too. For my purposes, lupu has a hugely greater wealth of applications, so that the only area in which Slacko is superior for me is native 3TB and USB3 support. Presumably that comes with the more recent Kernel.

I would like to settle down for a year or two with a Puppy that can be kept fairly up to date, the way it used to be with Puppy 4.xx and earlier.

wuxiandianzi

Re: re

#107 Post by wuxiandianzi »

otropogo wrote:
wuxiandianzi wrote:
Thanks,
CA
Calexand:
It will comes soon.
I'd like to see a Lupu_K3.08 too. For my purposes, lupu has a hugely greater wealth of applications, so that the only area in which Slacko is superior for me is native 3TB and USB3 support. Presumably that comes with the more recent Kernel.

I would like to settle down for a year or two with a Puppy that can be kept fairly up to date, the way it used to be with Puppy 4.xx and earlier.
updated!

jim3630

#108 Post by jim3630 »

installed k3.1.0--on--lupu_528 manual frugal to ext4. would not create a save file. installed pupsaveconfig then able to create a savefile.

although 3.1.0 kernel contains new broadcom drivers it also needs the firmware which apparently wasn't included. installed broadcom firmware pet below then able to make wifi connection on wlan0.

wuxiandianzi great pup and really fast. if you could include the broadcom firmware and pupsaveconfig then your pup would be usefull for noob user out of the box.

---------
the firewall tray icon remain with caution sign even after activating the firewall.

quickpet error "quickpet does not support your puppy"

--------
installed mesa and xorg_high. glxgears hardly moving, jerkie and not sure what is wrong?

wuxiandianzi

bug-fix

#109 Post by wuxiandianzi »

jim3630 wrote:installed k3.1.0--on--lupu_528 manual frugal to ext4. would not create a save file. installed pupsaveconfig then able to create a savefile.

although 3.1.0 kernel contains new broadcom drivers it also needs the firmware which apparently wasn't included. installed broadcom firmware pet below then able to make wifi connection on wlan0.

wuxiandianzi great pup and really fast. if you could include the broadcom firmware and pupsaveconfig then your pup would be usefull for noob user out of the box.

---------
the firewall tray icon remain with caution sign even after activating the firewall.

quickpet error "quickpet does not support your puppy"

--------
installed mesa and xorg_high. glxgears hardly moving, jerkie and not sure what is wrong?
Thank you, This is a pet to fix quickpet.
Attachments
fix-quickpet.pet
(11.12 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
Last edited by wuxiandianzi on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

ETP

k3.1.0--on--lupu_528

#110 Post by ETP »

wuxiandianzi

Currently testing manual frugal install on FAT 32 USB2 stick. (Syslinux 4.04 boot with vesamenu.c32 ). MD5s were first confirmed.
Upon selecting 528 k3.1.0 from the menu I was after about 2 seconds, presented with the following screen and had to power off.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84 ... 077ub.jpg/

Having run chkd on the stick together with a virus check I then repeated the installation with the same outcome. All the other pups on the stick continue to boot normally as does my main O/S.
Extract from syslinux.cfg as follows:

LABEL tc4
MENU LABEL TC 4.0.2          25/09/11
KERNEL /tc4/boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/tc4/boot/tinycore.gz quiet noswap nodhcp kmap=qwerty/uk  nozswap waitusb=5:UUID=D496-93EA tce=UUID=D496-93EA/tc4

LABEL 528
MENU LABEL Luci Pup 528      12/08/11
KERNEL /pup528/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/pup528/initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pdev1=sdc1 psubdir=pup528

LABEL 5283
MENU LABEL Lupu Pup 528k307  21/10/11
KERNEL /pup5283/vmlinuz rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM
APPEND initrd=/pup5283/initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pdev1=sdc1 psubdir=pup5283

LABEL 51110
MENU LABEL Racy-5.1.110      27/10/11
KERNEL /pup51110/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/pup51110/initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pdev1=sdc1 psubdir=pup51110

LABEL 53308
MENU LABEL Slacko5.3_k3.0.8  31/10/11
KERNEL /pup53308/vmlinuz-3.0.8
APPEND initrd=/pup53308/initrd-3.0.8.gz pmedia=usbflash pdev1=sdc1 psubdir=pup53308

LABEL 528310
MENU LABEL Lupu Pup 528k310  03/11/11
KERNEL /p528310/vmlinuz-3.1.0
APPEND initrd=/p528310/initrd-3.1.0.gz pmedia=usbflash pdev1=sdc1 psubdir=p528310
Possible causes.
1. School boy error on my part.
2. Kernel 3.1.0 (which contains support for newer NVIDIA cards) clashes with my 6 year old Geoforce7300SE.
3. K 3.1.0 (vmlinuz) does not like booting from FAT32.
4. I need stronger medication!

This is what testing is all about. I have never seen this effect before but someone may know the answer.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]