Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 03:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Backup for the Win'N'Lin project
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Antipodal

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 00:12    Post_subject:  Backup for the Win'N'Lin project
Sub_title: I describe a plan that I’ve developed and I ask for comments and help in case I need it.

Since I haven't received an answer to questions I thought would allow me to know more about computers and about the Puppy Linux version I am using as a live CD, not leaving files on my HDD, I decided to choose another road in order to learn more about those things.

That's why I began to read again the article Béèm had suggested me to read.
I'm speaking of Win'N'Lin Project
Because at line 102 of http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwin/step00-linnwin.htm it says “Please back up any important information before commencing the Lin'N'WinNewB Project" I began studying the subject and I concluded that the type of back up I would like to do is the one that not only allows recovery of the data that’s on my HDD but that also returns my system to the way it was before. I mean with all the software downloads and program shortcuts I've added over the years and with all the emails and contact folders. In other words, I would like to be able to restore every bit of information to its original shape because I also want to keep those details for future reference.

In order to give more context to my plan I must say that once the aforementioned back up has been done I would like to make the best possible cleaning of the HDD, the clean install of Puppy Linux 4.1.1, XP and selected software. As I said before, the backup would be used as a reference for XP and its compatible software and as a data provider for my documents.

For the time being, I only have:
->The system briefly described (in my avatar control panel) that can be detailed if necessary ( internal Western Digital 160 GB HDD, etc)
-> A WDBABV5000ABK USB external HDD
->The plan I have stated.

I don't know if I've forgotten some important ingredient/s and I also do not know how to perform (by myself) all the steps I must follow to fulfil it.

Could anyone please comment on my plan and eventually help me with some of the steps?

I edited this post to change the word (ignore) for do not know

Edited_times_total
Bruce B

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 00:29    Post_subject:  

Brian will probably speak for himself.

A recommendation to backup is a disclaimer, a protection for both you and your adviser.

Very importantly, a backup routine should be a part of administrating any computer. If anyone doesn't have a backup routine implemented, they are at risk of anything in terms of data loss.

~

Antipodal

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 01:24    Post_subject:  

Bruce B wrote:
Brian will probably speak for himself.

Thank you for your words Bruce. Smile
When do you suppose Brian will do that? Smile
I look forward to hearing from you Smile
Regards
Antipodal
Bruce B

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 02:41    Post_subject:  

Brian used to check for posts like yours daily. He wants to support the techniques on the website.

Over the last couple years Windows versions have changed and we don't get as many posts like yours as we did.

His forum name is ICPUG, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a PM to catch his attention next time he visits the site. Also, maybe the web page has contact information.

~

Sylvander

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 03:35    Post_subject:  

1. "I began studying the subject and I concluded that the type of back up I would like to do is the one that not only allows recovery of the data that’s on my HDD but that also returns my system to the way it was before."
(a) Why not just remove your internal HDD...
It could be put back in any time you choose, or fitted into an external enclosure to gain access to any data files on there..
And put in its place some other handy/spare HDD?
It doesn't need to be very big.
e.g. I use a 10GB internal HDD for ALL [6] Puppies.
And have a number of old/small/spare 10GB/80GB HDD's lying about.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 04:07    Post_subject: Re: Backup for the Win'N'Lin project
Sub_title: I describe a plan that I’ve developed and I ask for comments and help in case I need it.

There are many opinions about best way to backup. Basically, I don't care to back up partitions per se because its the files I want to keep and I can make partitions easy enough.

An exception is NTFS and I want to backup every single sector. This means the files, the partition and even all 'empty' sectors.

The reason why is 'streams' - anyone who wants can look up NTFS data streams and decide if they want to be sure they are also saved.

Anyone's call.

~

sfeeley

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 09:00    Post_subject:  

This thread might be useful.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy//viewtopic.php?t=66453

If you read through the thread eventually I encountered some problems, and basically gave up ( some outside emergencies prevented me from coming back to it for a while and since then, I decided that I wasn't so worried about preserving the XP stuff anyways) . That said, the early part of the thread provides several different suggestions for backing up windows.

Also, another option (that I've never used personally) is clonezilla (although, I'm not sure if you can "get into" the backupfile in order to extract data, or if the file is only there if you want to reimage the machine. Again, i've not tried.
jrb

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 09:29    Post_subject: Re: Backup for the Win'N'Lin project
Sub_title: Free Acronis True Image

Antipodal wrote:
I would like to do is the one that not only allows recovery of the data that’s on my HDD but that also returns my system to the way it was before.

I totally agree. Ghost image backups have saved my bacon (computerwise) many times over the years. Virus infection, no problem. Failed harddrive, no problem. Total windows screwup, no problem.

For the past year I have been using a free version of Acronis True Image backup available at http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard. It is installable (and runnable) in windows where you can create a liveCD/DVD to run it from boot (just like Puppy).

It is meant to be used with Seagate and Maxtor harddrives and will give you an error message if you have something else but this can be overridden with Alt+t+o and then clicking OK.

The only complaints I have are:
1. It only saves to fat and ntfs drives (even though it is a Linux disk and recognizes ext2-3).
2. When you close the program it shuts down your computer. (No big deal Wink )

I used to use Norton Ghost on a BartPe boot disk which also worked very well but this is much easier to setup and a bit more up to date.

Good Luck with this, J
Sylvander

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:14    Post_subject:  

FalconFour's_UBCD_v4.5 also includes the "Seagate Disk Wizard" FREE version of the "Acronis True Image" program...

And it is the only version where I've been able to use a "tech over-ride" command:
alt+t+o+k in this case...
To over-ride the error, and continue with the work.

The instructions to use that command are included in the 1st menu where you choose to run the program...
So there's no need to memorize or make a note.
Peterm321

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 14:51    Post_subject:  

I am looking at a backup solution for ext2. There is a command line utility to backup Windows-XP partitions called ntfsclone, but I'm not aware of an equivalent for VFAT and EXT2.

Previously I used mksquashfs to make a copy of PuppyLinux EXT2 partition (Full HD install) using the root directory as the source directory, but that is not a true image. I understand there is Acronis and ghost but is there any command line utilities in Linux that can do a similar job? For example (perhaps in conjunction with gzip) make images of Ext2, NTFS and VFAT partitions.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 15:00    Post_subject:  

Read here.
Antipodal

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep 2011, 01:06    Post_subject:  Feelings
Sub_title: After taking a look at what you have all written...

...I feel deeply grateful for your answers. Very Happy

When I was a kid, my folks used to say:

When grownups are talking you should remain silent, pay attention to what they're saying, think about what they've said and then, only then, if you are allowed to, and still don't understand something, you should ask respectful questions.

As I've said before, I consider myself a computer illiterate, and facing the digital word, probably as frightened as my 5 year old grandson .

So, in this occasion I'll follow my folk’s advice.

In the mean time, thank you very much.
Very Happy
Antipodal

Peterm321

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep 2011, 14:19    Post_subject:  

Quote:
rcrsn51 Yesterday, at 15:00
Read here

Downloaded. Looks useful. Thanks.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep 2011, 14:51    Post_subject:  

@Peterm321: If the ext version works for you, I can also provide one for backing up fat partitions.
Peterm321

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:19    Post_subject:  

Quote:
@rcrsn51 If the ext version works for you, I can also provide one for backing up fat partitions.

Thanks, rcrsn51, but don't need.

For FAT/VFAT I just use standard copy utility or mksquashfs. Ext2/NTFS have "special files" hard and soft links, permissions, ACLs etc hence the usefulness of cloning.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum