Need help installing pup on old IBM laptop(solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
ezeze5000

#16 Post by ezeze5000 »

You might try downloading puppy using Bittorrent.

You can get it from here:
http://www.bittorrent.com/

You can download puppy from here using bittorrent.
http://linuxtracker.org/

I have had real good luck downloading puppy this way.

I hope this helps.

toddyjoe

#17 Post by toddyjoe »

even though it is a lot of work would it work if I placed puppy on the HD and got rid of the crappy win95?
pelokwin, you could probably have both Windows 95 and Puppy Linux 1.0.8r1 on your hard drive without even partioning. I have mine set up that way with a crude dual-boot system. If you give me a couple of days, I can type up where to put certain files off the Puppy iso on your hard drive and how to set it up for a barebones dual-boot to either Windows or Puppy. It works fine on my Thinkpad 310ED with Windows 98 SE and Puppy 1.0.8r1. Puppy only takes up about 200MB on my hard drive, which includes a 128MB "pup001" file.

pelokwin

#18 Post by pelokwin »

Toddyjoe,
I have all the time in the world. I would love to try it and see if I can make it work. It seems everything I try with the live cd way of puppy (and feather) hits a wall. As far as this old T.P. goes heck I cant even use the windows 95 it is just too out of date, and that is mostly word prossesing.
Thanks,
Pelokwin
I'm just a passing thought in this world

toddyjoe

#19 Post by toddyjoe »

pelokwin, here is my promised explanation/tutorial. My Thinkpad 310ED had Windows 95 up until about three months ago so this explanation is geared toward someone like you with the same experience.

HOW TO INSTALL PUPPY LINUX ON WINDOWS HARD-DRIVE AND DUAL BOOT WITH WINDOWS 95/98/98SE (WITHOUT HAVING TO PARTITION YOUR HARD DRIVE):

By: Todd J. Koback -- April 2006

NOTE: You need at least 137MB of free hard drive space for these files.

(1) Download a Puppy Linux ISO file and use it to burn a bootable Live CD.

(2) Create a new directory on your "C:" hard drive named "PUPPY". This should be located in the root directory on the hard drive so that the path is "C:\PUPPY".

(3) Download the "PupWin98.zip" file.

[AUTHOR'S NOTE: "PupWin98.zip" is a large file -- just as big as the Puppy ISO file above. For this installation, you only need the "grub.exe" and "menu.lst" files which are zipped inside "PupWin98.zip" and are about 103KB and 173 bytes in size, respectively. If you can find "grub.exe" and "menu.lst" elsewhere on the Internet, feel free to skip downloading "PupWin98.zip" and download the small "grub.exe" and "menu.lst" files directly. If you private message me with your e-mail address, I will forward both files to you directly. A quick Internet search shows "grub.exe" is available for download here: http://www.freeveda.org/linux/puppy/GRUB.EXE ]

(4) Extract and save "grub.exe" and "menu.lst" within the new "C:\PUPPY" directory.

(5) Copy and save the "image.gz" and "vmlinuz" files from the bootable Live CD you created to the new "C:\PUPPY" directory.

(6) Right click on the "menu.lst" file and select "Open with..." and then select NOTEPAD from the list. Edit the contents to read as follows:

timeout 0
title Puppy Linux
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/puppy/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 acpi=off
PFILE=pup001-none-131072 PHOME=hda1
initrd (hd0,0)/puppy/image.gz

Save the "menu.lst" file after this edit and close NOTEPAD.

(7) Click on the START menu in Windows and select "Run" from the menu. Type "sysedit" at the prompt and then click "OK". This will run the System Configuration Editor.

(8) In the System Configuration Editor, select the "C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT" file window. At the very top of the file contents above the existing text, insert and add the following new text:

REM [Start additions for Linux]
GOTO %CONFIG%

:LINUX
ECHO Welcome to Puppy Linux!
PAUSE
C:\PUPPY\GRUB.EXE --config-file=(hd0,0)/puppy/menu.lst

:WIN
REM [End additions for Linux]

Do not change or delete the remaining contents of the "AUTOEXEC.BAT" file. Click on the "File" menu in the System Configuration Editor window and then select "Save".

(9) While still in the System Configuration Editor, select the "C:\CONFIG.SYS" file window. At the very top of the file contents above the existing text, insert and add the following new text:

REM [Start of additions for Linux]
[menu]
menuitem=win, Windows
menuitem=linux, Puppy Linux ver. 1.0.8r1
menudefault=win, 15

[linux]

[win]
REM [End of additions for Linux]

Do not change or delete the remaining contents of the "CONFIG.SYS" file. Click on the "File" menu in the System Configuration Editor window and then select "Save". Then, click on the "File" menu in the System Configuration Editor window and then select "Exit".

(10) Restart or reboot the computer.

TO DUAL-BOOT WINDOWS AND LINUX:
After restarting or rebooting, the initial computer boot screen and the initial Windows logo start screen will load as before. However, after those two screens, you will be prompted to choose either "Windows" or "Puppy Linux ver. 1.0.8r1". If you choose Windows, your computer will continue to boot Windows as before.

If you choose Puppy Linux, you will get a message "Welcome to Puppy Linux!" and will be asked to press any key to continue. Press any key and the Puppy boot will start up just as if you were using a bootable Live CD. The first time you boot this way, you will need to select your keyboard, mouse and video/screen type just like with the boot CD. However, you will not need to select these options in the future as they will be saved in a file called "pup001" created by Puppy in the "C:" drive's root directory. The size of "pup001" is 128KB rather than 256KB as with the bootable Live CD. The total size of all of the new Puppy Linux files is a bit less than 137MB.

[AUTHOR'S NOTE: When booting Linux, the "Welcome to Puppy Linux!" and requirement to press any key to continue is an excessive step I wanted to eliminate. Indeed, if those steps are taken out of the "AUTOEXEC.BAT" file, Linux still boots. However, rather than listing all the steps and commands in plain text as Linux boots, the Windows logo start screen will reappear, pause and then distort and cause strange images, colors and lines/bars to appear on the screen. It gives an appearance like the computer is crashing or going haywire. It is not, but the appearance is enough to cause panic the first time you experience it, especially for a newbie. Unfortunately, I could fine no other easy way to prevent the Windows logo screen from reappearing and then going beserk except to add the additional "Welcome" message and "Press any key to continue..." prompt. Sorry!]

TO DELETE PUPPY:
If you decide to erase Puppy and return to single-booting Windows, use the System Configuration Editor as you did above to edit "C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT" and "c:\CONFIG.SYS". Erase the text you added in both files, save each file in the System Configuration Editor and then exit the System Configuration Editor. Thereafter, erase the "PUPPY" directory on the "C:" hard drive and all of its contents. Last, erase the "pup001" file on the "C:" drive and you are back to your original Windows-only system.

MU

#20 Post by MU »

toddyjoe

#21 Post by toddyjoe »

Thanks to MU for the link to those files!

Just an update or amendment to my previous post: If you wish to eliminate the "Welcome to Puppy Linux!" message and the prompt to "Press any key to continue..." and have an uninterrupted Linux boot after selecting Puppy, revise step 8 above as follows:

(8) In the System Configuration Editor, select the "C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT" file window. At the very top of the file contents above the existing text, insert and add the following new text:

GOTO %CONFIG%

:LINUX
BREAK=ON
C:\PUPPY\GRUB.EXE --config-file=(hd0,0)/puppy/menu.lst

:WIN

Do not change or delete the remaining contents of the "AUTOEXEC.BAT" file. Click on the "File" menu in the System Configuration Editor window and then select "Save".

pelokwin

#22 Post by pelokwin »

Toddyjoe,
Thanks for the info I am hoping to start to put puppy on the TP some time this week. wish me luck. MU thanks for the links
Pelokwin :twisted:

pelokwin

#23 Post by pelokwin »

OK,
after a long night of setbacks I got to the reboot stage:
At the start up menu I get 3 choices windows,puppy, and 15???? I take puppy and it says
Usage:
GRUB--config-file=FILE
the options are case sensative you must use lowercase letters. Example: GRUB --config-file=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.1st

so ......any ideas?

Sit Heel Speak

#24 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(EDITED)

I just now got it working on my own Thinkpad. I'm booting Puppy as a menu option from config.sys in Windows 98SE, using grub, with the added wrinkle that I have Puppy loaded not on the hard drive but rather on a USB flash drive (so, where your menu.lst says hda1, mine says sda1).

Open a DOS window and at the prompt issue these commands (or, run them as a batch file). Be careful to use a double right arrow on each line after the first:

C:>type c:\config.sys>c:\diagnose.txt
C:>type c:\autoexec.bat>>c:\diagnose.txt
C:>type c:\boot\menu.lst>>c:\diagnose.txt
C:>type c:\boot\grub\menu.lst>>c:\diagnose.txt
C:>dir c:\boot >>c:\diagnose.txt
C:>dir c:\boot\grub>>c:\diagnose.txt

If you have grub in a directory called C:\Puppy then substitute Puppy for boot in the above. Now either copy and paste c:\diagnose.txt here, or else attach it in a message. I will see if I can spot what you are doing wrong.

Sit
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Fri 14 Apr 2006, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

pelokwin

#25 Post by pelokwin »

To Sit Heel Speak,
At the start of this topic I wrote that I was a computer dummie. So with that being said I did what you said but nothing happaned???
Pelokwin

Sit Heel Speak

#26 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

In Windows, use the mouse to click:

Start / Programs / MS-DOS Prompt

When the DOS window starts, a C:> prompt will appear.

Type the commands in, as above (don't type the "C:>" part). Make sure that every line after the first has ">>" not ">".

This will create file "diagnose.txt" in the root directory of your C: drive.

Type

C:>dir c:\ /od

(don't type the "C:>" part, that's the prompt)

and hit enter and you should see the file diagnose.txt at the bottom of the directory listing.

Open c:\diagnose.txt in Notepad.

Use Shift-downarrow to highlight all the text.

Hit Ctrl-C to put the text into the clipboard.

Reply to this message. In the reply box, hit Ctrl-V to paste the text from diagnose.txt in.

This will put your config.sys, autoexec.bat, and menu.lst plus the requested directory listings into the reply box.

Hit "Submit" and let's take a look.

pelokwin

#27 Post by pelokwin »

ok I am starting but the computer I am online is not the one I am puting puppy on. the laptop is a thinkpad 380ED w/ win95
wish me luck!!

pelokwin

#28 Post by pelokwin »

I did not get far..."file not found autoexect.bat :?:.....never mind

Sit Heel Speak

#29 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Here is my own config.sys, autoexec.bat, and C:\boot\grub\menu.lst. If you are not sure how to modify yours to work like mine, then hire a guru to do all this.

Download the WakeUSB floppy image at

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/download.php?id=1277

and unzip it and use rawrite.exe to expand the .img file to a floppy. Make sure first that the floppy is freshly formatted and has no bad sectors.

Then, if the subdirectory c:\boot does not exist, create it:

(note: these instructions are only for Win 9x or 98SE users. These instructions are not applicable to NT, 2000, or XP. If you have these, don't try this.)

Start a DOS window, change to the directory C:\, do

md c:\boot

...now, copy the files A:\DRIVER\ASPIDISK.SYS and A:\DRIVER\USB\USBASPI.SYS from the WakeUSB floppy to your subdirectory C:\boot:

and then go to

http://grub4dos.freespaces.com/

and download

grub_for_dos-0.4.2pre4.zip

and unzip it to

c:\boot

...grub.exe should now be in c:\boot.

...there is a copy of menu.lst in c:\boot but this is not the one I use, instead I use one I created in c:\boot\grub.

Here is my c:\boot\grub\menu.lst:

timeout 0
title Puppy USB
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PSLEEP=25 PFILE=pup100-none-262144 PHOME=sda1
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/image.gz
boot

(note: the Forum makes lines wrap. There are only six lines:

timeout
title Puppy USB
rootnoverify...
kernel...
initrd...
boot

)

(and second note: strangely, the above menu.lst works for booting from flash drive even though vmlinuz and image.gz are on the flash drive, not on hd0 the hard disk)

However, I have doubled the size of my pup100 file from its default value. For initial use with a fresh install of Puppy 1.0.8, change the "kernel" line to

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PSLEEP=25 PFILE=pup100-none-131072 PHOME=sda1

so your c:\boot\grub\menu.lst reads:

timeout 0
title Puppy USB
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PSLEEP=25 PFILE=pup100-none-131072 PHOME=sda1
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/image.gz
boot

Then, modify your config.sys and autoexec.bat to use grub.exe. Again, if you don't know what you're doing, hire a guru to help.

rem Sit Heel Speak's config.sys in Windows 98SE.
rem This gives the option to boot Puppy from USB flash disk.
rem Note: this still doesn't work for booting Puppy 1.0.8
rem through a USB 2.0 PC Card adapter, but does work when the
rem USB flash drive is in the Thinkpad's rear USB 1.1 port.

[menu]
menuitem=PUPPY, From USB drive.
menuitem=CD, Start computer with CD-ROM support.
menuitem=NOCD, Start computer without CD-ROM support.
menuitem=HELP, View the Help file.
menudefault=CD,3
menucolor=7,0

[PUPPY]
device=C:\WINDOWS\himem.sys /testmem:off /v
rem Load Panasonic v2.20 ASPI manager for USB mass storage.
rem This is copied from the WakeUSB floppy disk.
device=c:\boot\USBASPI.SYS /e /o /u /v /w /slow
rem Load Adaptec v4.01b ASPI disk driver.
rem It maps ASPI mass storage devices to DOS drive letters.
rem This too is copied from the WakeUSB floppy disk.
device=c:\boot\ASPIDISK.SYS

[CD]
rem the below drivers are not necessary on my Thinkpad.
rem device=c:\dos\oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
rem device=c:\dos\btdosm.sys
rem device=c:\dos\flashpt.sys
rem device=c:\dos\btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
rem device=c:\dos\aspi2dos.sys
rem device=c:\dos\aspi8dos.sys
rem device=c:\dos\aspi8u2.sys
rem device=c:\dos\aspicd.sys /D:mscd001
switches= /F /E
dos=high,umb,noauto
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems 128 d=64 l=1024 x=a000-cfff i=d000-dfff Win=e000-efff /y=c:\emm386.exe /v
device=c:\windows\ifshlp.sys
device=c:\windows\dblbuff.sys
device=c:\windows\command\ansi.sys
break=off
buffershigh=4,2
fileshigh=68
stackshigh=16,512
lastdrivehigh=n
fcbshigh=5,0
set tmp=c:\
set temp=c:\
shell=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /p /e:512

[NOCD]
switches= /F /E
dos=high,umb,noauto
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems 128 d=64 l=1024 x=a000-cfff i=d000-dfff Win=e000-efff /y=c:\emm386.exe /v
device=c:\windows\ifshlp.sys
device=c:\windows\dblbuff.sys
device=c:\windows\command\ansi.sys
break=off
buffershigh=4,2
fileshigh=68
stackshigh=16,512
lastdrivehigh=n
fcbshigh=5,0
set tmp=c:\
set temp=c:\
shell=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /p /e:512

[HELP]
device=C:\WINDOWS\himem.sys /testmem:off

[COMMON]
rem End of Sit Heel Speak's config.sys

rem Sit Heel Speak's autoexec.bat for booting Puppy from disk
rem where the Puppy files are on his USB flash drive.

IF NOT %CONFIG%==PUPPY goto win98

:PUPPY
break on
c:\boot\grub.exe --config-file=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst
goto theend

:WIN98

(...the rest of my autoexec.bat goes here)

:theend

rem End of Sit Heel Speak's autoexec.bat

Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 15 Apr 2006, 21:27, edited 4 times in total.

Sit Heel Speak

#30 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

It occurs to me that I should also post my msdos.sys. The main thing is the BootGUI=0 line; I do not let Windows automatically boot the GUI, rather I start it from within autoexec.bat with a

win

line near the bottom. This way, Windows won't try to boot itself after you exit Puppy.

msdos.sys follows.
;SYS
[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C
UninstallDir=C:\

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=0
DoubleBuffer=1
AutoScan=1
WinVer=4.10.2222
;
;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxc
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxd
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxf
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxh
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxj
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxk
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxm
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
BootMenuDelay=2
BootMenu=1

pelokwin

#31 Post by pelokwin »

I wantto thank you for your help but I'm tired and can't see straight (it is 2a.m.) the puppy started to boot from livecd but then freezes I am begening to think that the comp is just not right but I need a fresh day
so it is good night for me
pelokwin

Sit Heel Speak

#32 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

pelokwin,

If your Win95 installation does not have an autoexec.bat, then perhaps it is best that you not try to boot Puppy my way. I've been using DOS and Windows since dinosaur days and so am accustomed to booting Windows using a long, convoluted autoexec.bat and config.sys. I've been doing so for so long that I forgot, very few people have booted this way since Windows 95 was introduced!

Instead of messing with autoexec.bat and config.sys files, I recommend you boot to Windows, put the flash drive in the USB port, copy vmlinuz, image.gz, and usr_cram.fs from the CD or the extracted .iso file to the flash drive, and also copy pupxusb from the WakeUSB floppy and isolinux.cfg from your extracted .iso image to the flash drive. Then, try booting from the WakeUSB floppy.
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 15 Apr 2006, 17:49, edited 2 times in total.

toddyjoe

#33 Post by toddyjoe »

OK,
after a long night of setbacks I got to the reboot stage:
At the start up menu I get 3 choices windows,puppy, and 15???? I take puppy and it says
Usage:
GRUB--config-file=FILE
the options are case sensative you must use lowercase letters. Example: GRUB --config-file=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.1st
so ......any ideas?
pelokwin, if you are getting a third "15" option, it sounds to me like you used the word "menuitem" instead of the word "menudefault" for the third line under "[menu]" in Step 9 of my lengthy post above. Only the first two lines under the "[menu]" header should use the term "menuitem". Double check to make sure this is not the case.

As far as the GRUB usage comment, it sounds like your GRUB line does not follow the syntax, capitalization and format exactly as I typed it in Step 8 above. Go back and make sure you have copied it exactly, including spaces, zeros and capitalization in all the same places.

The only other problem I could foresee if you are getting that GRUB usage error is if your "menu.lst" is not properly identified in the GRUB line or as an "lst" file. For one, make sure that your GRUB line and your "menu.lst" file both use the three-digit extension "lst" and not "1st". In other words, the first digit is the letter L and not a number 1. For two, make sure that you are using a valid "lst" file to create "menu.lst" and not simply trying to create a Text file called "menu.lst". It is easiest to do this by copying the "menu.lst" file from the link MU provided above and then simply editing it to have the language I described in my post.

Sit Heel Speak

Suggestions if unfamiliar with c:\autoexec.bat

#34 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

toddyjoe: as indicated above, pelokwin is not accustomed to dealing with an autoexec.bat file. Therefore our instructions for editing config.sys and creating autoexec.bat on the C: drive are mystifying and useless.

pelokwin: instead of doing it the hard way as toddyjoe and I do it, forget about creating an autoexec.bat and editing config.sys. And forget about using grub.exe.

Instead, either just burn a LiveCD from the .iso image and boot from that, or else do this:

From Windows:

1. Create a temporary directory C:\puptemp. To do this, start Explorer, navigate up to C:\, right-click in the right window, New, Folder, and then type

puptemp

in the new folder's namespace. Enter. Close Explorer.

2. Download the Puppy 1.04 Chubby Puppy or Puppy 1.0.8-Mozilla ISO image to C:\puptemp.

3. Extract the ISO image to C:\puptemp using ISOBuster or a similar program.

4. Copy vmlinuz, image.gz, and usr_cram.fs from C:\puptemp to the flash drive's root directory.

5. Download WakeUSBv01e-img.zip at http://www.murga.org/~puppy/download.php?id=1277 (right-click the link and choose Save Target As and navigate with the mouse to put C:\puptemp in the Save In box).

6. Extract WakeUSBv01e-img.zip using WinZip, EasyZip, TugZip or a similar program (my favorite is TugZip). Extract it to the same C:\puptemp directory as the ISO image above.

7. Format a floppy disk. If it has bad sectors, discard it and format another one.

8. Use rawrite.exe (it's in the WakeUSB .zip, in the subdirectory c:\puptemp where you extracted it to) to put wakeusb.img onto the freshly formatted floppy. The easiest way to do this is to run the MAKEDISK.BAT program which WakeUSBv01e-img.zip provides.

9. Copy pupxusb from your newly-created WakeUSB floppy to the root directory of the flash drive (the same place where vmlinuz, image.gz, and usr_cram.fs are), then copy isolinux.cfg from the subdirectory where you extracted the .iso image file to.

10. Shut down Windows and power off your computer.

11. With the flash drive plugged into the USB port and the WakeUSB floppy in the A: drive, turn on your computer.

This should result in the computer booting from the floppy drive; and then the computer will (once you hit the appropriate keystrokes which the floppy's boot program requests--I recommend you accept the defaults, and if that doesn't work then try choosing the "acpi=off" option) load and run Puppy from the flash drive.

If it doesn't work from USB flash drive, then repeat steps 1 through 11 except don't copy to the flash drive's root directory; instead, copy the three files vmlinuz, image.gz, and usr_cram.fs from c:\puptemp to the root directory of your C: drive (that is, C:\), and then rename pupxusb on the floppy to pupxide and copy the new pupxide (make sure there's no dot at the end of the name) likewise to the root directory of your C: drive. Then, Start / Run / notepad {enter}, open the file A:\autoexec.bat, and in the place where it says

sda1

change it to

hda1

and in the place where it says

PUP100

change it to

PUP001

Next, copy isolinux.cfg from the subdirectory where you extracted the .iso image to, to C:\, and edit the new C:\isolinux.cfg in Notepad and in the two places where it says "pup100" change that to "pup001".

And then, with the floppy in the drive, reboot your computer. This will load Puppy from your hard disk, and you're on your way.

Report back here any problems.
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 15 Apr 2006, 17:54, edited 5 times in total.

toddyjoe

#35 Post by toddyjoe »

toddyjoe: as indicated above, pelokwin is not accustomed to dealing with an autoexec.bat file. Therefore our instructions for editing config.sys and creating autoexec.bat on the C: drive are mystifying and useless.
In fairness, pelokwin seems to be pretty close to getting it working right. It cannot hurt to offer some feedback for him (or others trying this) in case he decides to give it one last try. It was only two or three months ago that I was a Windows 95 user with no Linux experience and no experience messing with "config.sys" and "autoexec.bat" files so I feel his pain. If I can figure this stuff out with a little patience and persistence (and swearing), perhaps pelokwin can as well.

One thing I know is certain, I am definitely learning a lot of additional ideas from your posts in this thread, Sit Heel Speak!