Does Unetbootin work in puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
liatodua

Does Unetbootin work in puppy?

#1 Post by liatodua »

I have latest puppy on my computer (full install) and am trying now to create CD-image on USB flash (from SamHamBen iso file). But Unetbootin seems not to work in Puppy? It requested mtools and g7z ackage - I installed both. But now it just can not see any USD disk! I changed several USB flash discks, formatted tem with Gparted in to fat 32, ext2, whatever - no help. Unetbootin does not see them.

May be puppy has some replacement for Unetbootin? How people put iso files on USB disks from puppy?

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Look at "Bootflash install Puppy to USB" in the Setup menu.

sfeeley

#3 Post by sfeeley »

my understanding is that you can use unetbootin to install puppy on a flash drive, if you run unetbootin from windows.

If running from a working puppy system, go with Bootflash (which is preferable)

liatodua

#4 Post by liatodua »

Look, but Bootflash just makes flash bootable and than installs the puppy-linux to it (meaning it puts sfs file on flash and some other stuff).

But I want to install iso file of other distribution, not the puppy, on flash.

How to do that?

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

liatodua wrote:But I want to install iso file of other distribution, not the puppy, on flash.
In that case, read here and here.

WB7ODYFred

[Solved] Unetbootin.pet (3 pet files to install0 Works!

#6 Post by WB7ODYFred »

[Solved] Unetbootin.pet (3 pet files to install) Works!
Installs a .ISO file onto a USB Flash Drive and makes it bootable.

Unetbootin 581 works on Lucid Puppy 5.2.8
I downloaded the file from Mediadrive

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4e1ecb75ff

unetbootin for Lucid Precise Puppy
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k7cjh ... tin.tar.gz
Attachments
unetbootin-pics-03.png
PIcture of the 3 pet files to install mtools passagio.pet, p7zip-full.pet and unetbootin.pet version 581
(57.9 KiB) Downloaded 3717 times

watchdog

Re: [Solved] Unetbootin.pet (3 pet files to install0 Works!

#7 Post by watchdog »

WB7ODYFred wrote:[Solved] Unetbootin.pet (3 pet files to install) Works!
Installs a .ISO file onto a USB Flash Drive and makes it bootable.

Unetbootin 581 works on Lucid Puppy 5.2.8
I downloaded the file from Mediadrive

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4e1ecb75ff

unetbootin for Lucid Precise Puppy
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k7cjh ... tin.tar.gz
In slacko 5.5 unetbootin is downloadable from salix repository by PPM. It needs only mtoolspassaggio.pet from mediafire. It works.

SFR

#8 Post by SFR »

Hey Watchdog

Could you please confirm that Unetbootin works 100% correctly for you, because it launches for me too (with or without mtools & p7zip; in Slacko-5.4, Slacko-5.5 and Precise-5.6), but can't recognize any drive (USB/HDD) - the only visible "drive" is /.

Suprisingly, in Lupu-528 & Slacko-5.3.3 drives detection works fine.

I wonder what's changed between 5.3.3 and 5.4, what affects Unetbootin in such a way...is it kernel issue..? :?

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

watchdog

#9 Post by watchdog »

Yes. In slacko 5.5 the downloadable unetbootin from salix repository by PPM works. It installs in System menu but you have to launch it by terminal or modify the /usr/share/applications/unetbootin.desktop and run fixmenus by restarting X. I deleted the kde unetbootin.desktop and changed the base unetbootin.desktop to launch only the command "unetbootin" (there was something else before...). At the first run it advices you need mtools. I installed that posted here before at mediafire but I think it could work from ubuntu, too. Unetbootin in precise 5.6.1 is downloadble with all dependencies by PPM from ubuntu repositories without problems.

Edit: you are right! I have the same problem. I thought having unetbootin but it does not see the usb drives. I'm investigating.

Edit2: workaround: run unetbootin in console with for example:

Code: Select all

unetbootin installtype=USB targetdrive=/dev/sdc1

watchdog

#10 Post by watchdog »

I can confirm: successfully installed linuxmint-mate-13 on a usb pendrive by unetbootin-linux-584 (the latest bin) in slacko 5.5. I compiled mtools in slacko in my attempts and attach it. Run unetbootin in console to tell it what usb drive to use. For example I used a drive in sdc1:

Code: Select all

/path-to/unetbootin-linux-584 installtype=USB targetdrive=/dev/sdc1
Attachments
mtools-4.0.18-i486.pet
(163.03 KiB) Downloaded 707 times

SFR

#11 Post by SFR »

Great, thanks!

In the meantime I found the source of the problem - it's because in later Pups /dev/disk/by-id won't get populated.
I simply took /lib/udev/usb_id file (it was a shot in the dark) from Slacko-5.3.3.iso, put it into Slacko-5.5 and after that Unetbootin was able to recognize USB drives.

But, honestly, your workaround seems to be more versatile, so thanks again &
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]