Pup4DOS in 2006 March 24

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
puppyiso

Pup4DOS in 2006 March 24

#1 Post by puppyiso »

In 2006, I found something interesting.

Pup 4 DOS. version 0.2 was 6KB and verion 0.5 was 161KB. WOW!!!

That was on DOS.

And then pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO this year.

I wonder what happened to the Pup4DOS project.

Any similiar project?

Hope it is on XP now.

John

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Is it the same as this one?

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Pup4DOS
Boot Puppy Linux With Pup4DOS

Pup4DOS is designed to boot Puppy Linux from a DOS-based system (including Windows ME, 98, 95, 3.1 and earlier) with a DOS boot loader that doesn't change boot sectors or MBRs or affect other boot loaders.

No boot floppy or even config.sys and autoexec.bat needed!

Actually nothing but plain DOS in memory (real mode) is preferred to avoid conflicts. Instead of using a new boot menu, for example, you would use Windows 98's boot menu to go to "Safe Mode Command Prompt" and then type "puppy" and press [Enter] to boot Puppy.

There are ultra simple instructions for the normal IDE drive install and advanced info on how to configure Pup4DOS, better archive your personal data,

easily manage multiple Puppy versions and addon files, and other customizations with Pup4DOS, DOS, and Puppy on a FAT32 (vfat) partition.

The contents of BootParams are included along with instructions on how to edit the boot parameters.

Pup4DOS is basically a DOS batch file, a DOS boot loader (Gujin's tiny.exe and/or LinLd), a file organization scheme, some archival tools (Info-ZIP), and supporting documentation.

Getting started with Pup4DOS assumes you already have your drive partitioned, formatted, and bootable to a DOS prompt. If you need a version of DOS, then install FreeDOS.

Extracting the core Puppy files from the CD image (ISO) or the Puppy CD/DVD itself is also needed. More is planned to come for better flexibility and user-friendliness. Check here or check with J_Rey for the latest.

... more text
I don't understand much of it but I find such highly interesting too. I remember when I used msDOS and even CP/M or something with similar name. Very much like when we use CLI terminal console today in linux.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

puppyiso

#3 Post by puppyiso »

Yes this one is just that.

Somehow I am very interested in tiny tiny things...

Thank you for the info.

John

Ibidem

#4 Post by Ibidem »

A little note: Pup4DOS is NOT a puplet.
It is another way of installing/booting Puppy (for those who have DOS booting); you will need a puplet or Puppy CD/ISO in addition.

It will add ~100kb to whatever puplet you use.

J_Rey

#5 Post by J_Rey »

Most of the size increase was just for the DOS zip & unzip files. The wiki page & the included documentation should explain it more. If you have questions or have further development wishes let me know.

puppyiso

#6 Post by puppyiso »

Ibidem. I was suspicious, too. Thank you for the confirmation.

J_Rey, Thank you for the info.

By the way, it's 2001 and September.

The last last post was Posted: Mon 26 Jul 2010, 13:18 and the last was Posted: Tue 06 Sep 2011, 23:24.

This forum is like the space where you get another signal more than a year later.

I picture that I will be seeing this forum 10, 20 years from now and find another post for this topic at that time.

Strange feeling...

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Ah it was posted Thu Apr 01, 2010

And it is 2011 and not 2001?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

puppyiso

#8 Post by puppyiso »

nooby, I like your humor :)