Slacko B2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#211 Post by Lobster »

Tried the links browser and got to the forum but posted to the wrong thread . . . :oops:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 586#564586

It works and the flash ad (now blocked in latest Seamonkey update)
appears as an alternative 4 page ad . . .
In life you can not avoid tax, death and ads :?

I think the idea of yelling console HELP is good but feel this is pretty raw stuff . . . reminds me of my first ever install of Slackware (took me 5 weeks to get Netscape just about running)
I should imagine the links browser can go to a more friendly HTML help page?
The issue seems to be the Slackware xorg? I have been unable to use xorg in the early alphas or pre alphas of Slacko (when it was Spot) - so know how frustrating that can be . . .

Anyway that is my experience of Links browser - many thanks 8)
Attachments
link.jpg
(21.54 KiB) Downloaded 964 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#212 Post by 01micko »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah Lobster! Do you want to write such an html page? I do agree the forum is difficult to navigate in links (also lynx and elinks) but it is a way.. the point is that there is help available for those inclined to seek it. Note that the help_NOX prog also downloads a video driver, connects to the internet, even if on wireless, is capable of IRC chat all in less than 10K (compressed) of code.. so your page has to be lean :wink:

Thanks for testing.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DaveS

#213 Post by DaveS »

Mick... have you seen the 23oz GTK theme? It is by far the most professional theme I have ever come across and is faultless in Slacko. Attached .pet includes 23oz GTK theme plus matching JWM theme that I added.
Attachments
23oz_GTK_JWM_themes.pet
(25.86 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#214 Post by 01micko »

Hi Dave.. I'm not sold on the jwm theme.. it's pretty close to "teh gray" but the gtk theme is nice.. I'll add it at the expense of the eucalypt one I made for spup-1

Also.. aarf is right about that show-desktop icon! :lol:

Iguleder

#215 Post by Iguleder »

I hope you're aware that the worst themer in the galaxy made Teh Gray ... and that's me :lol:

It was originally made for Teh Gray Puppy, a grayish-looking spup derivative that was quite good actually - it was the first Puppy to use compression different than gzip with Squashfs.

At some stage I made so many packages for it that 01micko decided to pick them up and the theme was one of them :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#216 Post by Lobster »

is capable of IRC chat
I am just not a console cructacean.
I tried the IRC - it gave me a choice of freenode (and some others)
and then left me to fend for myself. At which point I left.

For some people this will be penguin gold.
They will appreciate what you have done.
I will leave the HTML to them 8)

To put this in perspective. Grant (smokey) has been saying how he
quite likes using Psip Puppy Phone from the console
- it is a very reliable methodology.

These diverse and efficient elements are to Puppys advantage,
they are just not for me . . .

I am just a weakling, quiche munching, GUI loving
tree hugging weirdo - still in shock after spending so long on the command line.

I am off to drink my ovaltine. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

01micko

#217 Post by 01micko »

Lobster

Please note that the whole point of these tools is to be as newbie friendly as possible to gain access to X

The motivation is raffy who says that radeon (open source) and vesa X.org drivers fail for him. With this he can get help if he wants or just directly download the ati_fglrx-8.11 (or whatever version it is, latest :wink: ) and get X and use his machine. I am not trying to form a geek army! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So.. the html page is not for geeks.. for noobs :wink:

zigbert

#218 Post by zigbert »

Some more X info

The flash in upper right corner of this forum penetrates my desktop (all flashes does). That means I can see the flash at in all desktops as long as a program window is covering the flash position with a entry/edit widget.

I meant to take a snapshot of this showing you how Pmusic shows the flash in another desktop (even if the browser is minimized), but the mtpaint snapthot tool doesn't grab the flash. Even more strange is it that trying to take a snapshot of the actual flash (in correct desktop) also fails.

Sigmund

nooby

#219 Post by nooby »

Not to stress you but a mobile picture maybe should work?
I am in lupu528 now due to Slacko refused to accept the way I tried to install XF-prot to it.
Most likely my fault.

I boot up in slacko and take a look :)

Hm looks normal here. I am not sure how you played that pmusic.
you use it to play from your hdd? or some url?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#220 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:Some more X info

The flash in upper right corner of this forum penetrates my desktop (all flashes does). That means I can see the flash at in all desktops as long as a program window is covering the flash position with a entry/edit widget.

I meant to take a snapshot of this showing you how Pmusic shows the flash in another desktop (even if the browser is minimized), but the mtpaint snapthot tool doesn't grab the flash. Even more strange is it that trying to take a snapshot of the actual flash (in correct desktop) also fails.

Sigmund

This is a known issue with later model nvidia drivers and the latest flashplayers in linux (occurs to me in lupu too, for some time, with all browsers :( ). Unfortunately, both are proprietary code and both care little about linux. Flashplayer is officially not supported in Slacko.. that doesn't mean it isn't available, but bugs to do with it are not my problem. Cop out? No! Bring on html5! (Who knows what the hold up is with html5 anyway? :? ) [Very suspicious methinks :evil: ]

If it's any consolation, next Slacko (B3 with Seamonkey-2.4B2) ships with Flashblock, it alleviates (without solving) the issue.

Thanks for the report

zigbert

#221 Post by zigbert »

Mick
Thank you for the answer
This is not a productive issue, - just how things look, so I don't really care.

I thought it maybe had some relevance for the Pburn issue where X freeze. Since it is not related - skip it :)

Sigmund

01micko

#222 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:Mick
Thank you for the answer
This is not a productive issue, - just how things look, so I don't really care.

I thought it maybe had some relevance for the Pburn issue where X freeze. Since it is not related - skip it :)

Sigmund
Of course I should have known :) , lets just say that Flash (as in the player :wink: ) is crap... burning issues are another matter, at which I will look more closely tomorrow.

Cheers, Mick

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#223 Post by Lobster »

Who knows what the hold up is with html5 anyway?

It does not work - yet. The tutorials tell you something and the example code does not work. Maybe I am too stupid to make use of it (more likely) :oops:

Bugmans fault. :wink:

I am awaiting this HTML 5 OS - that might be perfect as the cloud component of Slacko
http://carbyn.com/?ref=qocomyqx
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

01micko

Re: On 82845/..Brookdale

#224 Post by 01micko »

MinHundHettePerro wrote: Ok, I'm aware that this hack only takes the "DRI" and "Shadow"-parts of the suggested solution into account (leaving the disabling-compositing-thingy out). If you'd think this could be a way out of caleidoscopic-patched hell for us Brookdalers this home-brew solution allows for later hacking of the BROOKDALE-script .... (and, provided you'd think any of this makes any sense, at all, - if you'd think the disabling-compositing-conf-thingy could be needed in some situations, I'd happily incorporate it ....... :))

Cheers :) from a happy BroOKdaler/ MHHP
Just to be clear.. do I still need the junk in delayedrun to avoid the timing issues? (methinks not). Patch is applied for B3.

EDIT: nevermind :) .. That wasn't in the alphas (31?.37 series)

MinHundHettePerro

Re: On 82845/..Brookdale

#225 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:Just to be clear.. do I still need the junk in delayedrun to avoid the timing issues? (methinks not).
Don't think so.
01micko wrote:Patch is applied for B3.
:D :D
01micko wrote:EDIT: nevermind :) .. That wasn't in the alphas (31?.37 series)
yes, righteo :P

Cheers :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

jpeps

#226 Post by jpeps »

01micko wrote: Of course I should have known :) , lets just say that Flash (as in the player :wink: ) is crap... burning issues are another matter, at which I will look more closely tomorrow.

Cheers, Mick
..methinks solution is increasing reliance on alternative browsers (e.g dillo, links). Flash is just one of the problems that come with a mainstream browser, and it's not likely to go away soon..so let's get on with it. (there's nothing blinking in MY browser).

01micko

#227 Post by 01micko »

jpeps wrote:
01micko wrote: Of course I should have known :) , lets just say that Flash (as in the player :wink: ) is crap... burning issues are another matter, at which I will look more closely tomorrow.

Cheers, Mick
..methinks solution is increasing reliance on alternative browsers (e.g dillo, links). Flash is just one of the problems that come with a mainstream browser, and it's not likely to go away soon..so let's get on with it. (there's nothing blinking in MY browser).
Haha! You may like Slacko B3 jpeps.. I booted pfix=ram,nox and managed to connect to my wireless network, download links and post this message. Any noob could do it :) . A bit more testing and I might release B3 soon.

Cheers

jpeps

#228 Post by jpeps »

I like techno's recent dillo compile:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 4&start=51

01micko

#229 Post by 01micko »

dillo eh? Works ok.. I'll put it in PPM

Hope that can entice! :)

nooby

#230 Post by nooby »

Mick wrote:Haha! You may like Slacko B3 jpeps
oops where is the link to that B3 then :) Just kidding.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though