Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Sep 2018, 08:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Slacko B2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 13 of 16 [234 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep 2011, 19:39    Post subject:  

Quote:
I am posting from Links right now (text mode browser). I might even include this.. it makes Slacko useful even if you can't get X, there is also a tiny script by going-nuts that works for IRC chat, it's brilliant stuff!

No flash, no javascript, no XUL, no pdf - it might just be secure enough for the tin foil hat Puppy brigade. Cool

Not getting x is a problem I do not have BUT . . .
just tried to change the resolution - there is a nice changer
and you do not have to leave x . . .
Did not work. So I ran alsawizard, I was trying to go from 1024x1028
to 1024x786 (both supported in Lucid and every Puppy)
The test induced the Puppy void or BSOD
Turned off the computer and on the reboot I was in 1024x786.
So supported but not viewable by the 'probe' of xorgwizard

Oh and Arachne . . .
Sage is right, I believe the developer still has a site providing the older code.
http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=arachne
The developer was I believe thinking about developing a Linux version before the buy out.
Run it with FreeDos
http://www.freedos.org/ on that 386 that Puppy will not run on . . .

Billtoo

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep 2011, 20:34    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Quote:
I am posting from Links right now (text mode browser). I might even include this.. it makes Slacko useful even if you can't get X, there is also a tiny script by going-nuts that works for IRC chat, it's brilliant stuff!

Oh and Arachne . . .
Sage is right, I believe the developer still has a site providing the older code.
http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=arachne
The developer was I believe thinking about developing a Linux version before the buy out.
Run it with FreeDos
http://www.freedos.org/ on that 386 that Puppy will not run on . . .

Seems to run in dosbox, real slow on a dual core machine, don't know if it actually works though.
01micko

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep 2011, 21:21    Post subject:  

Abiword 2.9.1

UUgghhh.. what a mission.. Rolling Eyes

Tried Ted, quickly discounted Ted.. it hasn't been developed in over 2 years so isn't compatible with the newer gtk/gdk/cairo/png libs. I got it to run, too many critical errors, plus it only opens .rtf.

Now abiword seems to depend on boost c++ libraries. There is a configure option "--with-boost=no" but it seems boost is now part of the core of abiword.. So with that I compiled the opendocument plugin which requires boost anyway. I did this very fastidiously! Every error in make I added only the required part of boost, it's still a 15M installed package (better than over 100M Rolling Eyes Surprised Shocked ).. thankfully none of the shared libs are needed so this is only a requirement for the devx, I got the compressed size down to under 1M. Yes, all this for a second rate WP. There is no real alternative considering size. As far as my testing goes, it opens .rtf, .doc, .odt, .abw that's all I use, and I don't use abiword anyway.

Here it is..

Abiword 2.7M

(dev doc nls)

Boost libraries (only for devs) 914K

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gnumeric 1.10.17

I find gnumeric a pleasure to use.. how can two horses from the same stable differ so? Confused

Gnumeric 3.5M

(dev doc nls)

Sage

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011, 02:55    Post subject:  

Arachne has to be taken in context. At that time there were few alternatives except JANET. It was a real breakthrough. Since it fitted on FDD s, probably a lot that Mozilla could learn?
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011, 03:01    Post subject:  

Quote:
UUgghhh..

When I loaded the b2 Abiword, only a bit of the page would display . . .
some was greyed out. (this was only on the initial load - resize the window and it went). The new compile has fixed this. Smile

peebee

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011, 03:49    Post subject: Just a thought  

Hi Mick

Just a thought from somebody who doesn't really know what he's talking about ....

Have you considered the approach being tried by pemasu in exprimo?

i.e. provide the office software as a separate sfs but included in the iso image - maybe load such an sfs automatically on first boot to help newbies - but people could then replace the provided sfs with the office suite of their choice (and size). The iso provided suite might not be the latest - just the smallest "usable". Your new Abiword/Gnumeric might be the provided one or might be an sfs for later installation? You could also use the same model for browers? If the iso seems "too big" you could offer 2 versions with or without the extra sfs's?

The only problem pemasu has encountered that I know of on exprimo is how to set defaultspreadsheet and defaultwordprocessor as the sfs is loaded (he's fixed the right click / mime association OK) but the set defaults utility can be used post loading the sfs to do this.

As I say - just a thought - I'm probably talking through the top of my hat...

Cheers
peebee

01micko

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011, 04:29    Post subject:  

Actually peebee I have considered that approach. It is on the drawing board Wink . (won't be in the final this time though)

I think that the browser and office stuff should be in a zdrv (or even xdrv) that gets automatically loaded. I have mentioned this before.

It would be a great idea.

---

In other news, I have revamped my old "help-NOX" proggy, just need to make a connection wizard that works outside X. This will help guys like raffy who can't get vesa going but apparently the latest radeon proprietary driver works on his HW. It's invoked by just yelling "HELP" in console mode (cli). going-nuts (forum member) made a great irc client that is only a few K.. it's in. Links can be downloaded and also the video driver test can happen outside X and an appropriate video driver downloaded.

Sage

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011, 06:11    Post subject:  

Originally, boot-up left us at the prompt. It was necessary to type startx (Puppy: xwin) - but nobody was going to tell you what to type (I read it in the Sybex 'Complete Linux' manual, but it was omitted in most of the other texts, and, of course, if you couldn't start X, it was rather difficult to access Google because neither it nor Links emerged for another decade!)
This has now been refined eg in System Recovery, which is designed to permit a much wider range of options, the most popular is almost certainly 'remove XP password', which is performed at the CLI with a series of instructions that the proverbial six-year old could follow. Startx, as well as a plethora of other possibilities are displayed, with explicit instructions.
Can't see why this approach isn't used with Puppy? [Is that a double negative? But it seems right?]. Surely some basic, easy to follow options at the prompt consume far less code than eg tazoc or johnbiles' extensive range of setup options displayed inside a GUI - to which many folks will never aspire, what with the proprietary antics of Novell, nV & Intel, whose main aim is leverage (read $$$) and FUD.
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011, 12:38    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
I think that the browser and office stuff should be in a zdrv (or even xdrv) that gets automatically loaded. I have mentioned this before.

It would be a great idea.

Hi Mick

My two penny worth is that calling it zdrv or xdrv rather obscures what is on there - I certainly don't really understand - I'd prefer separate sfs's for each type of add-on / replaceable facility.

Cheers
Peter

DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011, 13:54    Post subject:  

Currently hardinfo/sensors displays nothing. If I run 'modprobe coretemp', I get output in hardinfo/sensors so I guess I need some way of loading coretemp automatically?
nooby

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011, 15:29    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
Currently hardinfo/sensors displays nothing. If I run 'modprobe coretemp', I get output in hardinfo/sensors so I guess I need some way of loading coretemp automatically?

Sorry me so extremely lazy. I should have tested on Slacko too
but I usually only use the old Snow Puppy 5 that I have getting used to.
I do have Snow 20 and Polarpup 5 and Ice and so on installed too
but only use Snow 5.

In Snow 5 what works is CPUtemp.pet so maybe Mick knows
if that one works for Slacko? is it wrong kernel maybe?

DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011, 15:33    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
DaveS wrote:

Sorry me so extremely lazy. I should have tested on Slacko too
but I usually only use the old Snow Puppy 5 that I have getting used to.
I do have Snow 20 and Polarpup 5 and Ice and so on installed too
but only use Snow 5.

In Snow 5 what works is CPUtemp.pet so maybe Mick knows
if that one works for Slacko? is it wrong kernel maybe?

CPUtemp works fine in Slacko Smile

zigbert

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011, 15:38    Post subject:  

Mick
Pburn has trouble in Slacko Beta 2
You should read this

nooby

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011, 16:17    Post subject:  

"CPUtemp works fine in Slacko" yes I got curious and tested it and it sure does. On my Netbook it show 47C not sure what that is in F.
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011, 16:29    Post subject:  

if you put "modprobe coretemp" in /etc/rc.d/rc.local that should be a decent work around. Thanks.

EDIT: that doesn't work for me, "no such device".

----

Also, I have found a script by fanthom (slax/porteus dev) that, when puppyfied, it will connect to wireless/wired networks from outside X, which is rather cool. It supports WEP/WPA/WPA2, also Adhoc,dhcpcd or static IP, but not ndiswrapper. Who needs X? Laughing

Last edited by 01micko on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 16:34; edited 1 time in total
Page 13 of 16 [234 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: