Slacko B2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#16 Post by Béèm »

network connection issue
jim3630,
In all the spup's (B2 not yet installed) I have the issue of the carrier lost also. Sometimes the SNS works better, sometimes the network wizard.
I stopped reporting it.
My network device is the IPW2100 so nothing to do with broadcom.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Stripe

#17 Post by Stripe »

hi all

downloaded and did a manual install on the lappy

set it up and everything seems to be working fine
(edited .retrovolrc to get task bar volume control working but I think thats just my hardware :lol: )

synaptics seem ok (once I max the speed to 10 in min/max speed in flsynclient)

looking very good mick

cheers
stripe

01micko

#18 Post by 01micko »

Foe those with synaptics woes try to run this:

Code: Select all

flloopfix
in a terminal.

It will either fix it or ..

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jades

#19 Post by Jades »

For running Slacko on the Pentium D machine, I'll need pnm2ppa in order to drive my HP Deskjet 720C. On Lupu I can download it from the Ubuntu repos on PPM but I haven't noticed a Slacko version. Testing Beta 2 on that machine will have to wait until tomorrow.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

jim3630

#20 Post by jim3630 »

Béèm wrote:network connection issue
jim3630,
In all the spup's (B2 not yet installed) I have the issue of the carrier lost also. Sometimes the SNS works better, sometimes the network wizard.
I stopped reporting it.
Beem that's good to know. Something changed in 264 or 266 that just before 528 with my wl.ko went from requiring Frisbee to make the conncetion with SNS and network wizard. rerwin's work made the difference I believe but no one ever mentioned why sns and nw started working so well.

---
today still don't require frisbee in 528 or 529

----
thought the improvement in sns and cw performance in 528 would pass to their use in next disto. since not is why expect it's rerwin's work.

MinHundHettePerro

#21 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

Just a report from a Brookdale (rev3) machine ....

There were these rectangular caleidoscopic patches if I on first boot and first restart of X (after personalising the settings) didn't move the mouse :shock: - and this is not material for The journal of Irrepeatable Results, I performed the fresh boot drill over and over and ... :).

Anyway, tricking my way past this initial obstacle, making a savefile, rebooting and instructing the bootmanager to load the devx - upon next boot the puppeee-blue jwm-theme played tricks on me (yes, confirmed by repetitive experimentation) - Inactive foreground got set the same as Inactive background :roll: :shock: (quite interesting effect, really :?).

Well, I couldn't leave it with that, tried a new approach - set i915.modeset=1 on the kernel line, after which I cannot, in any way, provoke the colourful patches again :) :) :).

Hope this, as it looks, is the end to my i82845 Brookdale (rev3)-intel/i915 saga :) :) :)

By the way, .... vesa has always been acting up ..... (but, that's with most, if not all, of the recent pups I've tried on this machine ........... so no fret ....... :) ).

Cheers :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Sage

#22 Post by Sage »

Fantastical - everything works first time. Got a FULL install. Would be even better if that old EudoraOSE .pet would work!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#23 Post by Béèm »

jim3630 wrote:
Béèm wrote:network connection issue
jim3630,
I stopped reporting it.
Beem that's good to know. Something changed in 264 or 266 that just before 528 with my wl.ko went from requiring Frisbee to make the conncetion with SNS and network wizard. rerwin's work made the difference I believe but no one ever mentioned why sns and nw started working so well.

---
today still don't require frisbee in 528 or 529

----
thought the improvement in sns and cw performance in 528 would pass to their use in next disto. since not is why expect it's rerwin's work.
You're right about Lucid. I have the same experience.
Time savers:

JonT

#24 Post by JonT »

01micko, saw the note about flloopfix on the first note for synaptics touchpads but (sorry) didn't catch the need to manually run it. I now have run it (need to run flsynclient first to create .flsynclient). For me, congratulations, you have fixed the touchpad! :D Curious as to when you sleep.

My Inspiron 1100 also has Brookdale (rev 03) graphics. (Shouldn't we get a group discount for pain and suffering?) I have not yet had the graphics problems that DaveS and MHHP have found, just the 50% failing to boot that is the kernel's/X's fault, not yours. I will try the i915.modeset per MHHP and and collect data to compare boot successes over the next few days.

James C

#25 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install on the Athlon XP box.Everything working and no problems so far.

VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 4.99.4

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: " 1440x900 " Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
4000 frames in 5.0 seconds = 799.990 FPS
3317 frames in 5.0 seconds = 663.365 FPS
3388 frames in 5.0 seconds = 677.581 FPS
3409 frames in 5.0 seconds = 681.695 FPS
3380 frames in 5.0 seconds = 675.902 FPS

Béèm

#26 Post by Béèm »

Installed B2 usual Lin'N'Win FRUGAL
Activated my application environment and all seems to work.
Time savers:

zigbert

#27 Post by zigbert »

First glance

- Slickpet: Some fun-sfs requires openGL, but there is no link to install this
- Pburn: Icons missing in the menu - I plan a fix.
- Pfilesearch: Buggy fileselect widget, and should be updated to 1.25
- Pbackup: Buggy fileselect widget, and should be updated to 3.1.9
- Pmirror: Buggy fileselect widget, and should be updated to 0.5-1

This was all I could find to blame. - Not much..... :)

Sigmund

MinHundHettePerro

#28 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

My "install-SM-langpacks-script" didn't work - there were no langpacks for SM-2.3, - revoked :shock: in favour of 2.3.2.

Slacko's SM-2.3 un-updatable to 2.3.2 :shock:.

Anyway, installed SM-2.3.2 - then ran seamonkey --version, which reports ..... 2.3.1 :shock: , so probably not entirely slacko's fault :wink: 8), guess SM dev's were panicky, and releasing updates panicly, due to the recently reported "fraudulent SSL certificate issuance".

Otherwise working nicely :)
Cheers :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Jasper

#29 Post by Jasper »

Hi 01Micko et al,

My Slacko 4.99.4 uses the multi-session CD/DVD option in conjunction with a USB stick (to which I save data in real time).

It is already working perfectly and is fit for comprehensive and immediate use should my ancient internal hard drive, with my trusty Lupu 5.10, fail.

I very much like the speed and ease of use of the SeaMonkey browser and email and the quick and effective on-the-fly sfs loader/unloader.

In case it may be worth mentioning, NicoEdit seems to appear under both the Utility and the Document headings in the Main Menu.

My regards and thanks

PS I have some 600 MB of RAM which enabled me to install Wine and a SeaMonkey upgrade plus six small pets, but I don't envisage any problems because I shall avoid saving much more to the CD/DVD as I am very close to my "RAM full" limit. I suspect, but I do not know that it may be necessary to have at least 512 MB RAM to run a successful multi-session CD/DVD even using tricks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#30 Post by Lobster »

Nooby in Sweden (possibly) says:
Edit Now I am in an upgraded version from 499-1 to 499-4 instead telling it to upgrade.
It is worth on first trying a beta to boot up with
'puppy pfix=ram'
this will give you a pristine beta
and then try an upgrade . . .
Also try and slap yourself with a halibut (or other large fish)
to simulate the effect of some feedback on developers
. . . well it is what I do . . . :wink:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/NoobHelp
All feedback is useful, which is more than can be said for the halibut slap . . . :oops:

Jasper in England says:
I very much like the speed and ease of use of the SeaMonkey browser and email and the quick and effective on-the-fly sfs loader/unloader.
Me too.
I have recently been making use of the composer component to edit HTML.
In Lucid I tended to download Firefox
but in Slacko am content to use the default Seamonkey
The on the fly SFS loader (Menu / Setup /Setup)
I used to install GoogleEarth SFS which requires the ATI driver in Slickpet

B2 Working OK for me, so far 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

sszindian

Bata-2

#31 Post by sszindian »

Bata 2

Although not extensively tested as yet,

Previous problem with bata-1 where my screen resoulation of 1400x900 wouldn't configure properly and top icons were half-hidden off-screen is fixed with Bata-2 but icons now seem to have an ever-so-slight oblong to them, liveable though!

Bata-2 graphic-display (both text and graphics) appear 'Fuzzy and very Light' (very hard to spend any time trying to read) compared to the old original Spup's which were crystal clear and much darker.

Tried several configurations with fonts especially and improved reading somewhat but it isn't what it should be by any means!

More later as we test .....

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

sfoster

Xorg issue solved!

#32 Post by sfoster »

I just wanted to report that this Puppy solved my Xorg issues! I have restarted X twice on my Dell D610... no issues!In fact, I haven't seen any problems yet. I also forgot to mention last time that the previous beta was the first release of puppy where DVD menus worked for me in Gnome-Mplayer. Still working great in this release too!
--S

Jim1911

#33 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi 01micko,

Great! Frugal installation working great on two computers. Both booted flawlessly, one with Nvidia graphics, the other with ATI. Everything checked works. Didn't bother with Abiword since I always use OOO or LibreOffice. The Dell with ATI card uses wireless and it connected fine to internet. In fact, I'm posting from it. I really like your new icon set.

I did install my usual software and it all worked properly, including your Nvidia 280.13 pet.

My only disappointment is peasyscan, which works, however, I prefer gimp with xsane. Using ppm, I was unable to get it to work from the slackware repo.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(29.67 KiB) Downloaded 1072 times

rcrsn51

#34 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tried to compile some packages, but the devx_slacko_4.99.4.sfs seems to be missing some things, like libpng and gtk+.

James C

#35 Post by James C »

Did another manual frugal install on the old P3 test box...... all looking good so far.