Slacko B2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
DaveS

#61 Post by DaveS »

Copied flsynclient from spup1. Seems to fix the GUI. All works as it should.
Please test.
Attachments
flsynclientpatch-1.01.pet
(92.18 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nooby

#62 Post by nooby »

Mick, may I ask a typical Noob question. Maybe you already answered it.
I've been a lazy reader of the threads.

I fail to use SeaMonkey. It is too alien to me. It fails on some sites that use scripts that works in Firefox.

1. Noob question. How do I get a Slacko with Firefox instead of SM as the main browser?

I guess somebody told me to delete the .mozilla dir so FireFox could create it's own .mozilla ? But how can a newbie know such things.

When a Developer chose SM it is for to make the iso slim and for them are used to SM and like it.

I hope that the Dev would make some script one could just click on and that would change the iso to one using Firefox as the main browser installed from scratch? or to have two isos one with SM and one with FF.

I noticed that SM fails when I read in two of our biggest Tabloids that a forum had hate speech talk and them warned to not go there and my curiosity made me take a look at how hate speech looks and the SM got so excited it acted up totallu when one click on the buttons on the top.
Them are in Swedish so not sure if I want to link to it. Most likely them use javascript that works well in FF and are not standard for SM?

I am in Snow pup now so can not show any picture but it acts up in the most annoying way. popups all over and nothing works.

Here is a link to the blog of the Chief Editor? of Expressen.se and he talks about the hate speech from flashback.org
http://bloggar.expressen.se/thomasmatts ... al-och-jk/ if you get interested use google translate to get what them talk about.
All criticizes Bullying on Internet Social Forum and exemplifies with Flashback, but some representatives of the Flashback is of course not in place. Instead there are editors for the media that relates to the laws and media ethics, but to be responsible for the overall development.

Wow incredibly bad translation by google. I fail to get what it says :)
here link to the forum site that fails if one click on the short cut buttons to different departments of that big forum. Them even write about Linux
https://www.flashback.org/
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

MinHundHettePerro

#63 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

nooby wrote:I fail to use SeaMonkey. It is too alien to me. It fails on some sites that use scripts that works in Firefox.

1. Noob question. How do I get a Slacko with Firefox instead of SM as the main browser?
Hello, nooby :)!
I usually install latest FF from the mozilla site along with any default SM that comes with the pup.

I do this simply by running the little script that's attached. Just download it, and rename it to the same name but without the ".gz"-ending (it's there only to trick the forum's attachment rules). Then run the script, either by clicking on it in Rox, or from the command line.
That should get you the latest FF ... (language will be en_GB, do you want sv_SE, just ask ...)

hth :) MHHP
Attachments
FF_latest_downloader_script.gz
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

DaveS

#64 Post by DaveS »

MinHundHettePerro wrote:
nooby wrote:I fail to use SeaMonkey. It is too alien to me. It fails on some sites that use scripts that works in Firefox.

Hello, nooby :)!
I usually install latest FF from the mozilla site along with any default SM that comes with the pup.

I do this simply by running the little script that's attached. Just download it, and rename it to the same name but without the ".gz"-ending (it's there only to trick the forum's attachment rules). Then run the script, either by clicking on it in Rox, or from the command line.
That should get you the latest FF ... (language will be en_GB, do you want sv_SE, just ask ...)

Don't forget to set the properties to 'executable'
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

charlie6

#65 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
Thanks again mick for your time and efforts!
I like this colourfull HaikuPup desktop icons theme very much !
rcrsn51 wrote:I tried to compile some packages, but the devx_slacko_4.99.4.sfs seems to be missing some things, like libpng and gtk+.
...and so do I
Also could'nt compile a source (i.e. nted-1.10.18) that compiles OK on spup-312.37 (I even have reproduced that compile just for verifying and made a pet of it which runs OK on slacko-4.99.4).
Here are the comments when compiling on 4.99.4:

Code: Select all

bash: setenv: command not found
# ./configure --prefix=/usr
checking for ...
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for ALSA... yes
checking for PANGO... yes
checking for CAIRO... yes
checking for GTK... yes
checking for FT2... yes
checking for X11... yes
checking for gdk-pixbuf-csource... /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-csource
checking gtk+ compile and link... configure: error: in `/tmp/nted-1.10.18':
configure: error: cannot compile and link gtk example
See `config.log' for more details
# 
I then installed gtk+1.2 as also gtk+2.24 (checked the EXE, DEV and NLS PPM options) --> again same comments as above.

( In attachment are the full /tmp/config.log and ./configure comments files - !! just rename them deleting the « .tar.gz » extension to get them readable with a common text editor )

I also got a try to compilen, according to the slackbuild howto, the nted-1.10.18.tar.gz source from the slackbuild repository. I got exactly the same comments:

...configure: error: cannot compile and link gtk example
See `config.log' for more details
# 
Hope this helps
Cheers, Charlie
Attachments
configure.txt.tar.gz
just rename deleting the « .tar.gz » extension to get them readable
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
config.log.tar.gz
just rename them deleting the « .tar.gz » extension to get them readable
(19.4 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

zigbert

#66 Post by zigbert »

Some icons are missing in gmplayer

gmplayer is the default action when clicking on an audio-CD icon on the desktop.
The personal choice would be pmusic_CD (what strange :) ), which offer far more choices.

Sigmund

nooby

#67 Post by nooby »

MHHP thanks I test it right away. Nope I only read English when it comes to computers. Sure I can read Swedish on much everything except computers and electronics. Sorry I report back within some 30 minutes.
Edit. Jay that worked very well and I was not the only one wanting this either.

How did you do it? and what is that it do? SM is still there so you did not take it away and that makes Slacko B2 bigger :)
DaveS wrote:Don't forget to set the properties to 'executable'
hheheh I sure did forget to do what you suggest but it worked nevertheless.

Can you figure out why? I have no idea I simply forgot and here I am in FF and with Flash. Not Java though I presume.

Ooops now I go and test that bad forum https://www.flashback.org/f365 and yes it worked which failed in SeaMonkey.

I could see the latest faked UFO sightings over China
One of many alleged UFO's them have. I love such woo.
It is amazing how easy some people trust such is very real
but hidden knowledge. I was one of the true believers when I was young.
Luckily I realized it was all of it something in our heads going on.

nooby

#68 Post by nooby »

Slacko B2 seems to draw more resources than what Snow5 did or do.

Is that typical for later versions? I don't remember that lupu525 was that hungry on resources? Ah now I know I have to install that ADB Advertise Block whatever name it has.
It is the ad in the upper right corner that take all the resources I have. Sad

bigpup

#69 Post by bigpup »

zigbert wrote:Some icons are missing in gmplayer
Sigmund
01Micko,
They had this problem also in Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.
Here is where Playdayz fixed it for his instant update 001 to Lucid Puppy.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 068#560068
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

DaveS

#70 Post by DaveS »

OK, trying to show the flashy thing:

View My Video

xcompmgr is loaded via xinitrc using

xcompmgr -c -C
Other configurations do not help.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

JonT

#71 Post by JonT »

Very observant, DaveS, that Slacko's flsynclient gui offers fewer options than spup's. I don't have spup, but lupu 528's gui looks like your recent image from spup.
slacko beta 2

#flsynclient --version
flsynclient 0.7 (c)2006 Matteo Lucarelli
lupu 528

sh-4.1# flsynclient --version
flsynclient 0.6 (c)2006 Matteo Lucarelli
Slacko's flsynclient appears to be the newer version. I'm guessing slacko is guilty of no more than having the latest version.

Personally, I don't use all the synaptic touchpad's capabilties but I can see that some might. Mr. Lucarelli has a web site http://www.matteolucarelli.net/ and further, source at http://www.matteolucarelli.net/flsynclient/index_en.htm but doesn't explain the differences among versions. Looking at his file UImain.h (don't trust me, my C is not good) the omission of options, e.g. Corner Coasting, appears intentional.

DaveS

#72 Post by DaveS »

JonT wrote:Very observant, DaveS, that Slacko's flsynclient gui offers fewer options than spup's. I don't have spup, but lupu 528's gui looks like your recent image from spup.
slacko beta 2

#flsynclient --version
flsynclient 0.7 (c)2006 Matteo Lucarelli
lupu 528

sh-4.1# flsynclient --version
flsynclient 0.6 (c)2006 Matteo Lucarelli
Slacko's flsynclient appears to be the newer version. I'm guessing slacko is guilty of no more than having the latest version.

Personally, I don't use all the synaptic touchpad's capabilties but I can see that some might. Mr. Lucarelli has a web site http://www.matteolucarelli.net/ and further, source at http://www.matteolucarelli.net/flsynclient/index_en.htm but doesn't explain the differences among versions. Looking at his file UImain.h (don't trust me, my C is not good) the omission of options, e.g. Corner Coasting, appears intentional.
OK, but vert edge scroll? Serious ommission.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#73 Post by pemasu »

I think Lucid Puppies uses Jemimah`s pet which Barry uploaded to ibiblio and Jemimah hacked the source to have more options enabled.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 320#422320
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

JonT

#74 Post by JonT »

Not disagreeing with your conclusion, DaveS, just trying to establish blame,an important step of all projects! :lol:
Jon

str4y

#75 Post by str4y »

MinHundHettePerro wrote: I usually install latest FF from the mozilla site along with any default SM that comes with the pup.

I do this simply by running the little script that's attached.
:arrow:

Thanks for a useful script-- I have gone back and forth between the two, Seamonkey being nice for its Newsgroups and Html Editor.. but there are far fewer folks developing extensions for it, unfortunately. The issues around mozilla use in Puppy for me continue to be:
[1] I always have to fudge around with folder permissions and a little script to get it to run as spot (and when I do, I still can't save webpages to my ntfs partitions.. )
[2] I always drag the profile (disk-gobbing cache, etc) folder over to somewhere on /mnt/home, then symlink it back to ~ (always struggling to keep the savefile.2fs from overfilling.) I also only ever use .sfs's instead of .pets, the latter whacking the freespace in the savefile pretty quickly. There's almost never a latest version available as .sfs though, and though I like being able to go to Help > Check for updates within SM/FF which downloads the update, it tends to make a mess with a .sfs and all my symlinking. Anyone have a how-to for this?
Thanks oodles.

DaveS

#76 Post by DaveS »

str4y wrote:Anyone have a how-to for this?
Thanks oodles.
Its actually pretty simple. Move /usr/lib/seamonkey (firefox), to /mnt/home, and symlink it back again. No need for sfs.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Stripe

#77 Post by Stripe »

hi all

nooby I just use playdayz's firefox 6 pet from additional software on the forum, it updates and automatically sets itself as the default browser.

with flash I think we have got it right, as with older hardware (amd 800mhz) I find that flash will just not work properly and causes problems with browsing on sites with embedded flash images. and its easier not to load it than remove it. just my 2 cents.

Touch pad wise I have found that it slows right down when the first run/personalize settings wizard runs, but after that it works out of the box even the vertical scrolling, (tapping after it is set in flsynclient)

01micko I am now using the vesa driver as it works just as well as the latest ati driver with the hardware on the lappy

as far as problems go: I have not found any yet

hope this helps
don

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#78 Post by Lobster »

Ever since changing to ALSA
mhwavedit never seemed to mic record.

B2 - was able to record in mhwavedit :shock:

I am looking for bugs - honest! :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

DaveS

#79 Post by DaveS »

Dont seem to have a spell checker running. Do I have to enable it somehow?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

str4y

#80 Post by str4y »

DaveS wrote:
str4y wrote:Anyone have a how-to for this?
Thanks oodles.
Its actually pretty simple. Move /usr/lib/seamonkey (firefox), to /mnt/home, and symlink it back again. No need for sfs.
In fact I'm now working with a fresh savefile on 528, and it's already down to 89M free from the original 128M, with practically nothing installed yet (gxine, and a couple much smaller .pets) .. partly being because I havent done the symlink jazz yet (loaded SM.sfs on-the-fly, so I'll probably work for something more permanent on a later boot) and I know for sure one thing balooning is

/root/.mozilla/seamonkey/blahblahbla.default

which is where one's profile goes. Then when I start running as spot (they say you should never web-browse as root) it'll create yet another profile. I remember having taken the time to figure out all the places mozilla was putting its droppings, and there were 3.. the 3rd escaping memory just now.. /var/somewhere?

[EDIT] - Found it, thanks to my .icewm/menu file which has listed:
prog "Seamonkey internet suite" "seamonkey.png" /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey

so, sticking that into Graphical Disk Map, I notice that it's got a footprint of
38.74M !.. glad it's a .sfs as yet.. I guess my whole point here is that this is a huge element of the usability of Puppy to your average noob, so we all oughta come to some consensus on how to streamline this process, including upgrades to the latest release for security reasons.

Thanks for reading..