Creating a truly headless pup derivative (new issues

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ldolse

#16 Post by ldolse »

I don't have a problem with including Samba in general, though I certainly wouldn't recommend using it by default. The big reason I haven't included it to date is all of the wizard based configuration I've done is focused around having a NAS in the network already - if you have a NAS then there is no need for file server functions on the music server. I'm trying to avoid major features without also creating the wizards to back them up.

That said I hear it loud and clear that there are a number of people that would prefer to have their audio stored locally, and in that case I agree Samba would be really handy. I'll probably have one of the upcoming versions query the user as to whether they prefer their music library live directly on the server or whether it resides on the network, and then have the wizards configure things appropriately. For those who want it local Samba then becomes pretty important.

Just saw the PM, will respond separately.
Last edited by ldolse on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Media Players on my LAN

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Here;s the most recent addition to my LAN ($99 Logitech). When it started up, it automatically went around my LAN and connected to media files everywhere it could find. I, now, can do all sorts of entertainmetn things from just this device.

There are others on my LAN as well from Netgear, Dlink, and Cisco (Linksys). The kids today, bring their Playstations over and everyone knows about the Multimedia aspects of these. Don't forget, too, that cell phones can access your media files over your LAN

I am not promoting SAMBA. It is a 20 year old Linux subsystem. We are just covering the MPDPUP Music and sharing it over the LAN, as well. This isn't even about SAMBA. This IS about Linux. The version when used with Linux that follows the International standard (RFCxxxx) for SMB sharing over the LAN. That's not SAMBA .... "something strange and different"....That's Linux with the subsystem for sharing called SAMBA. And, its not MS or HP or Citrix or IBM or Novell or ...Its Linux with a subsystem (SAMBA) for sharing and participation over your LAN/VPN

Hope this helps us look at what is happening in our homes and offices as our future is being grown by all of these new devices that are showing up on our LANs. It not about how I feel. Its what's happening for all of us.

Hope this helps.
Edited: 3rd paragraph's readability.
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

I've seen this title now since Mon Sep 05

Creating a truly headless pup derivative
I have tried to get in what way it is headless and what that refers to
but I did not want to disturb the flow of exchanges in the trhead but
now when it is solved I dare to ask.

What on earh is a a truly headless pup derivative.

What is in the head? Is "head" another word for "Pinboard".

What does it lack when it is headless?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gcmartin

#19 Post by gcmartin »

Nooby wrote:What does it lack when it is headless?
Headless, typically, refers to a "box" (like a PC) that does not have monitor, keyboard, or mouse. It usually provides some useful service that is generally available to other devices that may exist on your local network.

A very good example
Your internet router

Hope this helps

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

You are a kind person indeed. Oh so that is how it is to be without the head. I would never have known unless you told me.

I thought them meant without Pinboard or X.

So it just starts and have a script that tells it what programs to run. Okay!

Yes the router maybe is almost like a computer. Has its own html homepage and can be programmed? to do different things. Set up rules and so on.

Them could build a whole computer into a Modem Router case :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

edwin.evans

Bonjour/Zeroconf support

#21 Post by edwin.evans »

@ldolse mentioned support for Bonjour/Zeroconf as done. Is this available in the standard 5.0 version? What do I need to do to run this?

ldolse

#22 Post by ldolse »

Bonjour/Zeroconf is done for the puplet I was working on - mpdPup - I don't believe any of the core Puppy team leveraged that for other versions of Puppy. I've built my binaries using a Debian Squeeze based dPup, not sure if they'd be compatible with other Puppy variants. The pet package is on the first page if you want to try it. I can't remember anymore but it should have an init script to go with it, if not I can provide my curent init script.

Anyway I'd be happy to share what I've done with other people/developers, but not sure where your comfort levels lie. My build of Avahi is very stripped down, basically it allows the Puppy machine to be found on the network, but it doesn't interoperate with other services, as there were a ton of interdependencies I didn't want to build/run/support. You can still manually define zeroconf services, which is what I do.

Edit - I see the pet I attached is from a very early release, so it's built on 4.x. If you want a 5.x built pet I can provide that, but it's built on a dpup squeeze base as I said.