Fatdog64-520 Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
raffy

Good news re AMD Fusion emachines d443 laptop Radeon HD 6310

#91 Post by raffy »

Good news re AMD Fusion emachines d443 laptop Radeon HD 6310: Since I added "radeon.modeset=0" in the kernel line while testing Racy Alpha, this AMD Fusion laptop has behaved nicely, and am using it now with FD64-520. Using synaptics multi-touch, all I can say is, WOW !!!

(I admit not being a fan of the touch pad because of my small eeePC 701, but scrolling the screen with two fingers in this AMD Fusion laptop just made my day. :D )

Thanks a lot, Kirk and the Fatdog64-520 team!
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

rcrsn51

#92 Post by rcrsn51 »

joe0855 wrote:Does Fatdog64 have 'Guvcview'?
Here is a PET. It also contains libportaudio and libv4l2. There is a menu entry for Guvcview under Multimedia.

The program starts, but I don't have a camera to actually test it. Please report.

joe0855

#93 Post by joe0855 »

rcrsn51,

You rock! Downloaded and installed pet, and before you know it, I was able to see my gruffy face (it works)! Thanks for the quick response!

joe0855

#94 Post by joe0855 »

joe0855 wrote:...Also, this may be a question for the folks at Apache Friends but do you know if Xampp 1.7.4 works in Fatdog64? For some reason, I cannot get the MySQL service started (Xampp is located in opt/lampp). Everything else (ie Apache, ProFTPD) starts up just fine. Thanks.

Luv'in Fatdog64!
To answer my own question, I'm embarrassed to report that I needed to set write permissions on the '/tmp' folder. The clue was the error message found in the log file (/opt/lampp/var/mysql/*.err).
/opt/lampp/sbin/mysqld: Can't create/write to file '/tmp/ibHBoVfA' (Errcode: 13)
110918 13:21:26 InnoDB: Error: unable to create temporary file; errno: 13
Still luv'in Fatdog64!

rcrsn51

#95 Post by rcrsn51 »

joe0855 wrote:Downloaded and installed pet, and before you know it, I was able to see my gruffy face (it works)!
I couldn't wait for your reply, so I went to my neighborhood surplus store and bought a no-name webcam for $10. It worked fine.

And people complain about linux-incompatible hardware. :wink:

kirk

#96 Post by kirk »

Thanks Bill. The Guvcview pet seems to work well. We'll be coming out with a 521 soon. Just some bug fixes and minor upgrades, and then we'll probably hibernate for a while :). I'll include Guvcview.

gcmartin

Create Ringtones in FATDOG using Audacity

#97 Post by gcmartin »

I saw these instructions for using Audacity in a Windows OS.
CREATE YOUR OWN RINGTONE:
0. Install Audacity sound recording & editing freeware
http://audacity.sourceforge.net
1. Download & unpack Lame MPEG Audio Layer III (MP3) encoder freeware
http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~raa110/audacity/lame.html
2. Start Audacity & tell it to point to lame for MP3 encoding
Edit > Preferences > File Formats > 'Find Library'
After you select the LAME "lame_enc.dll" file you unpacked,
MP3 exporting will then be available.
3. Start a new project to create .mp3 ringtones by pressing
the RECORD & STOP buttons in Audacity.
4. In Audacity, "File > Export as MP3" or "File > Export as WAV"
to save your ringtone to disk.
Questions
  • Does the Audacity PET have or eliminate the need for all of these steps in FATDOG?
  • Is it necessary in Puppy to load MP3 functionality?
Thanks in advance for ways you think are useful.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 15:23, edited 6 times in total.

Jim1911

#98 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Kirk,

Thank you for providing us Bibletime 2,8.1 for Fatdog 64. It's working great except for the "Bookshelf Manager" which cannot connect to remote sites to download resources. Although if a user has access to Sword files the necessary modules and *.conf files can be copied over or linked and the program works fine. It still provides another fine tool for sharing and studying God's word. See the Bibletime thread for additional comments on your pets.

Thanks,
Jim

jg.fw.tx

it just works

#99 Post by jg.fw.tx »

thanks for Fatdog64.

i was running Puppy lupu528 from a 2 Gb flash prndrive on my MSI mobo 8 Gb RAM 4 core i3 while procrastinating... i mean, deciding which HDDs and video cards and OSs to install since Win8 sped up my boot HDD's demise. fast and easy but only recognized ~3 Gb RAM. everything worked, onboard Intel video to wireless but didn't bother with HP printer. 50 seconds from switch to fully functional desktop, faster than the Win7 normally on it. had problems with Virtualbox since it was 32 bit.

i've been running Puppy from USB pendrive before on my Dell E1505 dual core 32 bit notebook and i prefer its speed and simplicity over the Ubuntu (and stock XP) it normally runs. fast and complete.

d/l-ed Fatdog64 today and using a multi-session CD it seems even faster on this i3, plus it's using all that RAM. recognized 1920x1200 monitor, Aurora and Flash and streaming music on the internet, right away. sweet. can't wait to see what Virtualbox can do on this 64 bit OS.

so naturally i registered in the forum so i could say i appreciate it. eh, i'd rather lurk most times, but Fatdog64 is impressive enough to overcome my preference for shadows.

i'll let you know if anything unusually good or bad happens as i work it out. unlike the Distrowatch.com reviewer who loaded Puppy on his HDD because he could, i believe it's far better running this distro as recommended in RAM from CD or USB pendrive.

thanks again, jon

entropyfoe

auto mount of sdb1 at boot on fatpuppy 520?

#100 Post by entropyfoe »

I am a new puppy fan and user.
I have several linux machines under my control, and I usually run KDE based Mepis. It is a great distro with a great community, but on my experimental machine, with the newest Mepis 11, I could never get the sound to work on the browser. So, I tried Mint, and now puppy.

So far I am liking it ! I have a Lucid Puppy 528 on a USB flash drive install and now a frugal hard drive (off of a SSD, very fast booting) of fatpuppy64.

I wanted the 64 bit as this machine has 8 Gig of RAM.

So, one question so far.
How can I get my data drive (sdb1) to mount automatically on boot?
On the Lucid 528 there is the utility (now I forgot the name mountboot or something).

How can I auto mount sdb1 automatically at boot on fatpuppy?

Thanks
Jay

kirk

#101 Post by kirk »

Is it necessary in Puppy to load MP3 functionality?
No, it's included.

Jim1911, is correct. I uploaded a pet package for BibleTime-2.8.1, It has a couple of bug fixes patched in. It requires the qt4, clucene, and sword packages installed. Please note the the qt4 package requires a reboot. Jim and Joe reported 'Install Works' wasn't downloading. That turned out to be a problem with the QT4 packages. I had some files in the qt4-dev package that should have been in the regular qt4 pet. I've re-uploaded the qt4 pets.

kirk

#102 Post by kirk »

jg.fw.tx ,

Thanks. Frugal (coexist) hard drive installs are recommended, full hard drive installs are not though. I would encourage you, or anyone else, to read the FAQs. Lots of helpful stuff in there.
How can I auto mount sdb1
You can open a terminal and type this:

Code: Select all

# mkdir /mnt/sdb1
# echo "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Note that to paste stuff into the terminal you use the Shift - Insert keys.

jg.fw.tx

Fatdog64 packages

#103 Post by jg.fw.tx »

please, Kirk, that was unnecessary chastisement - i HAVE read the FAQs and docs and most everything else concerning Puppy but particularly Fatdog64, thanks. before and after i've d/l-ed and/or booted'em. i'm not like some of my brethren in bits who never/rarely RTFM, although in accordance with Einstein's "why should i remember my own phone number when i never call myself?" question, i still may forget or miss things.

right now i'm missing how to get VirtualBox and LibreOffice loaded. there's no FAQ for that.

VirtualBox seems to have disappeared from the downloads and LibreOffice won't load because it says sfs 3 is required and the package is sfs 4. VirtualBox gave me the same error when i did d/l it earlier, but that d/l was lost in a failure to save to CD glitch. i even tried one LIghthouse64 version but it too failed to install. i've also tried moving the d/l-ed files out of the spot folders as was suggested elsewhere but to no avail. plus more i don't remember...

all i really need is VirtualBox up on a 64 bit Fatdog and then i can load up Win 8 for testing, along with a few other Windows and Linux distros for testing or servers or some other reason.

what's appealing about Fatdog is more than it's so fast in RAM or got a minimal footprint, it's that the 64 bit kernel uses all my RAM and processors, plus it's got all the drivers i need for my hardware (see prior post). and to be a VirtualBox host i need a 64 bit OS able to utilize the Intel VT-d capabilities and all the RAM, plus other devices, etc., to share those resources with any 64 or 32 bit guests - i can't run a 64 bit guest on a 32 bit Puppy VirtualBox host.

the alternative is for me to pull back, breath pure oxygen, delve deeply into the depths of kernels and compiling and sources to roll my own distro using T2 or Arch or even Tiny Core, but i'd rather put my time into doing what i want to do a couple of layers higher up the coding complexity chain. Assembly was fun when i had to write a compiler or PDP8s were big computers, but nowadays it's like "why type on a KB when there's voice dictation and gesture control?" or "why try to build a better mouse (trap)?" when effective tools already exist. like Fatdog64.

which brings me back to getting VirtualBox running on Fatdog64.

so, what can you (or anyone) suggest to make that happen, please?

jon

p.s. i'm in Fort Worth, TX, UTC-5, but i'm up all hours.

kirk

#104 Post by kirk »

please, Kirk, that was unnecessary chastisement
I'm sorry, it wasn't meant that way. Most new users just don't notice the FAQs.
LibreOffice won't load because it says sfs 3 is required and the package is sfs 4.
There's a fix for that on page three of this thread or better yet just use the BootManager. This will be fixed in 521, coming soon.

Caneri

#105 Post by Caneri »

@jg.fw.tx ,

Please be kind.

There is no need to use bold fonts as it looks like you are screaming at kirk.

I will ask Murga to stop you if you continue to post in bold type.
Be kind-rewind
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Jim1911

#106 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:
No, it's included.

Jim1911, is correct. I uploaded a pet package for BibleTime-2.8.1, It has a couple of bug fixes patched in. It requires the qt4, clucene, and sword packages installed. Please note the the qt4 package requires a reboot. Jim and Joe reported 'Install Works' wasn't downloading. That turned out to be a problem with the QT4 packages. I had some files in the qt4-dev package that should have been in the regular qt4 pet. I've re-uploaded the qt4 pets.
Thanks, your fix works great. :D

joe0855

#107 Post by joe0855 »

Jim1911 wrote:
kirk wrote:
No, it's included.

Thanks, your fix works great. :D
Sorry to be the spoiler Kirk, but after removing and re-installing the latest qt4 (rebooted), sword, clucene, and Bibletime, still nogo on being able to download via 'Install Works' feature. Again, while I have the modules I need (downloaded manually), just thinking about someone else who may need this feature. Thanks!

jg.fw.tx - Please lighten up. Kirk was just trying to help. Take care.

kirk

#108 Post by kirk »

Yep, your right Joe. I messed up the qt4 package again. It's fixed now and re-uploaded. Give it a try.

Just a misunderstanding with Jon, It's all good.

joe0855

#109 Post by joe0855 »

kirk wrote:Yep, your right Joe. I messed up the qt4 package again. It's fixed now and re-uploaded. Give it a try.
You're a good man Kirk. Re-loaded qt4, Bibletime is fully operational in Fatdog64.

Cheers,
Joe

entropyfoe

#110 Post by entropyfoe »

kirk-

Thanks for the fast reply. I'll try that and reboot.

I rally like the frugal idea.
It is so easy to make backups of the fd64-520.sfs, and with the CD one can always revert to a known good configuration.

-Jay