Fatdog64-520 Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Buck Huffman

#121 Post by Buck Huffman »

just installed virtualbox from the binaries package on their website. it requires devx but I must say it's getting easier. In older puppy versions you had to track down kernel headers. any way just downloaded the one from the bottom of the list marked all distributions on the amd64 side(~70MB). I know a pet package would be much better but ...

Many thanks to WillM, going to try ghasher just as soon as I finish this post.

jg.fw.tx

md5 sum

#122 Post by jg.fw.tx »

thanks @WillM and @gcmartin, both check sums worked, although i have no idea how to add either of them to the right click menu despite a little searching - the search function on this BB forum won't let me do an enclose in quotes search and the AND function isn't exclusive, so i got hundreds of hundreds of posts/topics. i'll have to explore this phpBB's eccentricities a little more to hone in. the real problem, of course, is my incomplete knowledge of the organization of the Linux file system, et al. i'm workin' on it.

in the meantime setting up a VirtualBox has been set back by my swapping from a live CD which (seems to have run out of room and let all my additions/downloads perish in RAM on a reboot) to a pendrive. since my eventual goal is to have a minimal base OS host system and do most of my day-to-day computing chores in guests, the ever increasing size of the saved sessions is perplexing and eating up storage space. so i'm pulling back to learn how Puppy (and Bigdog64 or LIghthouse or ...) functions together. slowly, with interruptions.

more mind work than i anticipated but que sera sera...

regards, jon

------------
We are all related by DNA.
Old Simian saying

Buck Huffman

#123 Post by Buck Huffman »

Just tried ghasher, works great! also discovered phash while fooling around. how long has that been there? to think I've been typing md5sum at the Command Line all this time.

Oh by the way has anybody else noticed xterm adding "[C" (without quotes) to the end of the command when you use <alt-right arrow> for command line completion. Haven't noticed that before, kinda strange.

Anyway thanks guys for a great distro! Fatdog 64 is truly awesome! I've been using it since version 5.0.0 and have had no problems so far. Fatdog is definitely my favorite Operating System and it just keeps getting better. Please keep up the good work.

jamesbond

#124 Post by jamesbond »

Buck Huffman wrote:also discovered phash while fooling around. how long has that been there? to think I've been typing md5sum at the Command Line all this time.
Since 520.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gcmartin

#125 Post by gcmartin »

@jg.fw.tx glad we could help. And, have you noticed at the top of your browser screen "You have a message"?

Hope this helps

gcmartin

#126 Post by gcmartin »

just installed virtualbox ...
The steps you followed are similar to what was given me earlier this year by an undisclosed forum member.

Maybe you or he can open a new forum thread that provides PETs and SFSs for all 64bit users.

Then, we can begin discussions and share experiences that will be useful to all. Excepting tor the times when I on the net with my standalone 64bit system, it is largely sitting idle. This VB or VM effort allows me to begin putting that PCs resources to greater usefulness.

Looking forward....Help!

raffy

opera pet

#127 Post by raffy »

Just want to report that while using opera (from Fatdog64 pet) and loading some Flash and/or Javascript-rich page (such as Gmail), processor usage suddenly climbed continuously. This happened both in Openbox and JWM.

Hope that there are Opera users here who can test, too. (One beauty of using Opera is that it keeps the root user, so I can save files in locations that I want.)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

LateAdopter

#128 Post by LateAdopter »

hello raffy

I installed Opera 11.51 from the Ubuntu 64 .deb, from the Opera website, and it seems to work normally, although I have not used it very much. I already had QT which came with VLC

The pet looks like version 11.0. Given the buggy tradition of Opera, I would suggest avoiding any .0 version!

Since flash can play video, it can cause high cpu load depending on the content.

raffy

upgrade

#129 Post by raffy »

OK, so it's now time to upgrade this Opera. Thanks for the quick reply. :)

(PS - No, there was no large Flash video running, just small bits of ads, which should be within the powers of AMD Fusion E-350 to play normally.)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

shinobar

Update: sfs_load-1.2

#130 Post by shinobar »

Update: sfs_load-1.2
26 Sep 2011 v1.2: fix was undesired mount (thanks to mories), fix was fleezed input in combobox, fix ramsize
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64354
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

entropyfoe

automounting sdb1

#131 Post by entropyfoe »

kirk

I tried your suggestion finally, (I was traveling in Germany)

Quote:
a reboot still has non-mounted sdb1.

Click on /etc/rc.d/rc.local. It should look like this:

Code:
#this file called from rc.sysinit
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...
#
# If you need to change the scaling governor from the default "ondemand" uncomment le lines below
#modeprobe cpufreq_performance
#ONLINECPUS=$(cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/online | sed "s/-/ /")
#CPUPATH=/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu
#for cpu in $(seq $ONLINECPUS); do
# CPUFREQ=${CPUPATH}${cpu}/cpufreq
# if [ -d $CPUFREQ ]; then
# echo "performance" > $CPUFREQ/scaling_governor
# fi
#done

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

The last line is the important one. Also make sure the folder /mnt/sdb1 exists.
the last line was not present. So I pasted it in and saved.
When I rebooted, X did not start. I tried at the back scree terminal xwin, but still no X. It was error 111.

Puppy is so cool, I popped in my USB key, booted to the frugal 528 installation I have on there, opened up sda4 on the SSD where fatpuppy resides, removed the line, and now it boots normally.

I also checked and mnt/sdb1 does exist.
On my 528 install I used startmount to automount sdb1 and start firefox-and this works fine. Is startmount available for fatpuppy. I didn't see it in the list of packages.

Thanks
-Jay

entropyfoe

problems keeping persistant sound on reboot

#132 Post by entropyfoe »

Now my sound is flaking out. It used to work.

I get this error when using Audacious

snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels failed: Invalid argument.

When I go to the alsa mixer, the master channel is up, and the correct sound card is now selected (a Soundblaster Audigy 1).

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jay

MoebusNet

#133 Post by MoebusNet »

Thought I'd report on Fatdog64_520:

Frugal manual install to ext4 USB flash drive. Booted to desktop successfully.

Initial boot (no save file): Wasn't able to use Frisbee to configure for WPA2 encryption for my wireless router, had to use Network Manager. Unable to disable tap-to-click for my touchpad (non-synaptic) with Adjust Touchpad, as expected.

Subsequent boot (with save file): Inserted SD-card into internal ENE card reader; card not mounted. Dmesg seems to detect ENE card reader, but not 2 Gb or 512 Mb cards which do work with Lucid Finlandia 5.28. Audio streaming from Shoutcast over Aurora browser working well.

So far, so good!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that HDD light stays on & HDD spins even though HDD not mounted. Not doing that under 5.28.

EDIT AGAIN: First install was saved to partition. Reinstalled as before but saved to file instead of partition. This time Frisbee connected properly, I may have messed up the first time I tried Frisbee. This time it asked me to set a root password, even though I chose to save unencrypted. We'll see...
Attachments
dmesg.gz
(48.97 KiB) Downloaded 645 times
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

kirk

#134 Post by kirk »

This time it asked me to set a root password, even though I chose to save unencrypted.
That's for setting the root password. It has nothing to do with a encryption.

entropyfoe,

With the sound problem, sometimes it's easier to create a new save file than to figure out what got messed up.

wacossusca34

#135 Post by wacossusca34 »

The Puppy Linux dog icon popping up upon start up stating your network status drives me crazy. It's the Microsoft word paperclip all over again -.-

Also, How would I go about getting Wine to run on Fatdog?

joe0855

#136 Post by joe0855 »

wacossusca34 wrote:Also, How would I go about getting Wine to run on Fatdog?
Hey Wacossusca34,

Here's the hyperlink to the Wine SFS:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 5-i486.sfs

In Fatdog64:
- save the file to your '/mnt/home' folder
- click on the display icon (bottom-left corner of screen) and then click on 'System... BootManager configure bootup'.
- Click on the first button from the top to 'Choose which SFS files to load at bootup'.
- 'wine-1.3.25-i486.sfs' will be on the left hand column. Select it and then click 'Add' to move it to the right hand column. Click 'Ok' and then 'Quit' the BootManager utility.
- Restart Fatdog and enjoy Wine.

Cheers,
Joe
Last edited by joe0855 on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

kirk

#137 Post by kirk »

The Puppy Linux dog icon popping up upon start up stating your network status drives me crazy.
To disable, open Frisbee and un-check "Enable pup up notifications".

Ray MK

#138 Post by Ray MK »

Hi kirk and jamesbond

An overdue thankyou for an absolutely outstanding OS.

Very best regards - Ray

Hans

sipe plugin for pidgin

#139 Post by Hans »

Question to all

I compiled the sipe plugin to be able to chat with office communicator users, and in my test environment (fd64-final) the office communicator choice is displayed in pidgin.

For work I use the fd64-RC version and the oc-choice does not show up in the pidgin-menu.

To be sure I compiled some pet packages and tested the install in a fd64 final on a usb-stick, same result, the office communicator choice is displayed in pidgin.

So, final works, RC does not.

Does someone have an idea what is missing/wrong in my RC-release so I can fix this? Would save me a bunch of time.

cheers

kirk

#140 Post by kirk »

Hans,

I can only guess. Since you compiled the plugin, there's the possibility that there's a dependency missing that the devx file contains. That's assuming the computer with the problem doesn't have the devx file installed. Try running ldd on your plugin and make sure it has everything it needs.