VR Puppy ?possible?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
scsijon

VR Puppy ?possible?

#1 Post by scsijon »

I wonder if....

Using a VR (gaming) headset as your video out / 7.1 sound out / microphone in.
Using a wireless wrist/arm keypad/touchpad for your keypad and 'mouse' functions. Take a bit of training but....
Using a sbc like the beagleboard to do the processing in a waste belt canister with a decent laptop battery system for power.
Using a Memory Stick/Card or two for your storage media.

Definately possible as far as hardware is concerned, but is puppy software ready for the idea.

learnhow2code

Re: VR Puppy ?possible?

#2 Post by learnhow2code »

scsijon wrote:Definately possible as far as hardware is concerned, but is puppy software ready for the idea.
if you get a hardware setup going with an sbc that puppy is compatible with, i figure puppy can handle the rest.

sometimes the main thing in the way of such a distro is finding all the drivers required.

theoretically theres no reason you couldnt take such a setup and add the necessary distribution/drivers to woof-ce, then use that to build a puppy for it. which sbcs are known to work with puppy?

scsijon

Re: VR Puppy ?possible?

#3 Post by scsijon »

learnhow2code wrote:if you get a hardware setup going with an sbc that puppy is compatible with, i figure puppy can handle the rest.

sometimes the main thing in the way of such a distro is finding all the drivers required.

theoretically theres no reason you couldnt take such a setup and add the necessary distribution/drivers to woof-ce, then use that to build a puppy for it. which sbcs are known to work with puppy?
The Pi comes first to mind of course, but I was wondering if BarryK's Maru puppy (see his blog) would not be a better candidate as everything other than the 'video' would (maybe) be able to live in the phone part.

And having a look at VR prices, there is a few decent ones out there at around $100 now so a 'play' is I think due soon (when I can sort out my QT5libgui5.7 building problem)!