Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 08:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Which USB external hard disk drive should I buy? (SOLVED)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Antipodal

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2011, 17:28    Post subject:  Which USB external hard disk drive should I buy? (SOLVED)  

Ladies & Gentlemen:

Learning about computers and Linux through Puppy has becomed much more difficult for me than what I had imagined and that is making me feel as an extreme ignorant on these three subjects.

Despite that, I have yet not decided to resign and, at this point in which I have made my mind to buy a USB external hard disk, I would like to know if at the time of purchase I should have some special care.

I ‘ve used Puppy 4.1.1 (not much experience) and Lupu 5.1.1 (with which my experience has been much less) with a Pentium 4, MSI 775 945GCM7 mobo, 1 GB RAM, MSI video card, and so on.

Since I’ve had a good exprience with the Western Digital 160 GB Hard Disk I chose for the desktop I assembled and since in my area WDBPCK5000ABK and WDBABV5000ABK can be easily found I had thought in buying the first one.

But because
• They are advertised as “Formatted for Windows. Can be reformatted for Mac”
• Western Digital’s Technical Service has written to me saying “WD has not made any kind of testing on Linux operating systems. If you use these disks they might work but we cannot guarantee the system’s performance”
• I have found no help with this forum’s search engine nor with http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html using WDBPCK5000ABK and WDBABV5000ABK as search words
• The same has happened to me searching at other sites

before deciding which brand and model to buy I would be very grateful if someone wants to publish comments that may be useful to me.

Thank you

Antipodal

Last edited by Antipodal on Fri 02 Sep 2011, 23:47; edited 1 time in total
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2011, 23:10    Post subject:  

You're overthinking this. I've used at least 4 different brands of USB hard disk drive with Puppy without any problem whatsoever. To put it another way, every USB drive of any kind that I've tried has worked in Puppy. Furthermore, I can't remember anyone reporting in this forum or anywhere else that a particular brand or model of USB external hard disk drive wouldn't work with Puppy. I conclude that it is highly unlikely that Puppy will have any problem using any USB hard disk drive.
Antipodal

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2011, 23:45    Post subject:  Thank you Flash
Subject description: Thanking Flash.

Thank you Flash!! Very Happy

Tomorrow I'll buy my WD with absolute confidence.

Antipodal
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: