2.12: How to bring menu to desktop only for rightclick

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
richard.a

#16 Post by richard.a »

ah :)

I wasn't sure how it all fitted together

I'll keep an eye out for 2.13 anyway.

Thanks.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

Lefty Mills

#17 Post by Lefty Mills »

Sorry, but I could not get this to work. I am running Puppy 2.12 and the line in /root/.jwmrc is
<RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="0">

and not
<RootMenu label="Start" labeled="false" height="0">

Lefty

eMeRy

#18 Post by eMeRy »

Lefty Mills wrote:Sorry, but I could not get this to work. I am running Puppy 2.12 and the line in /root/.jwmrc is
<RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="0">

and not
<RootMenu label="Start" labeled="false" height="0">

Lefty
"Menu" or "Start" do not matter. Previous versions of Puppy had "Start" label, the new ones has "Menu".
onroot="3" tells to JWM that the third button's click of the mouse valid for onroot menu. Third button means the right one. (1 - left 2 - middle)
So your solution is:
<RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="0" onroot="3">
if your choice is right click for root-menu.

You can rename the root-menu button on left end the tray.
Now in .jwmrc-tray file you find this line:
<TrayButton label="Menu" icon="mini-dog.xpm">root:3</TrayButton>
You can rename "Menu" to whatever you want. I modified it to "Puppy".
(modified on 16/12/06)

Lefty Mills

#19 Post by Lefty Mills »

Thanks for your help but it still doesn't work. Let's forget it. I have added an extension to firefox 2.0 called "foxclocks" which gives me exactly what I want at the lower right corner of my monitor - time to the second, day of week and date.

Lefty

richard.a

#20 Post by richard.a »

Lefty,

We appear to be talking at cross purposes here.

If you would like to change the default 12-hour clock to 24-hour notation, you need do just this... only this... and nothing else but this...

Go to the end of the .jwmrc-tray configuration file, and you will see the last three lines are:

Code: Select all

<Clock>minixcal</Clock>
	</Tray>
</JWM>
To get a 24-hour notation clock just one statement needs to be changed, adding in the hieroglyphics format="%H:%M" within the opening tag <Clock>.

So those three lines will now read:

Code: Select all

<Clock format="%H:%M">minixcal</Clock>
	</Tray>
</JWM>
Then click on Restart JWM and the display on the taskbar should show your changes.

Without restarting, the changes you have just done will not show up until your next reboot.

If you choose to Restart X, then you will need to reopen the windows you are currently working in.

Once you have done this, you can experiment - if you wish - with spaces instead of colons between digits, ahead of and/or after the block of hours and minutes, etc, to create exactly the look of the time display you are after.

I've succesfully done this in every version of puppy since 2.02 (latest being 2.12) without any failure since someone told me the secret :)

I hope this helps.

The other stuff in this thread deals with the totally different topic of how to eliminate left click option on the desktop from working, as described in this thread, following the details exactly. I've done this completely succesfully by following the instructions exactly as documented here.

Note that Ver 2.12 onwards (of Puppy) requires more configuration file alterations than the earlier ones. This is where strict attention to the detail posted is needed.

Richard in Australia
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

Lefty Mills

#21 Post by Lefty Mills »

To those offering me help - many thanks, but this does not work for me. The firefox extension - FaxClocks - does exactly what I want, so I will stick to that.
Hopefully some day Puppy Linux will have a graphics way to adjust the clock so the I can display the day of the week and seconds without requiring the mouse to hover over it. And the date will be adjustable to the US way - Jan 24 - or the rest-of-the-world way - 24 Jan.
Goodbye for now.
Over and out.
Lefty