Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 13 Nov 2019, 04:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse 64 5.12 Beta 1
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 10 [149 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep 2011, 20:22    Post subject: Re: rtl8192se wireless  

bwh1969 wrote:
Might be nice if it could be compiled into a pet for now.

Here it is.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 25 Sep 2011, 08:13; edited 1 time in total
bwh1969

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 07:38    Post subject: Re: rtl8192se wireless  

Installed

depmod -a

ifconfig wlan0 up

Bada bing... works. They recently released this newer version of the driver and it is significantly more stable.

rcrsn51 wrote:
bwh1969 wrote:

Here it is, but there are no guarantees that it will work.

Update: There have now been six downloads and no replies, so I have removed the attachment.

If anyone wants to test this driver and provide some feedback, I will post it again.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 08:15    Post subject: Re: rtl8192se wireless  

bwh1969 wrote:
Bada bing... works.

Excellent. I have rebuilt the PET with a few extra bits like tempestuous uses. Then it should work with the networking wizards.
bwh1969

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 08:51    Post subject: No Amarok?  

I just realized that Amarok is not in the KDE sfs?

I attempted to build it, but of course the build failed with qt issues within moments.

I tried installing from one of the repos first, but it wanted to basically upgrade all of kde at the expense of 425+ MB. I deselected some things and within a few downloads and installs of the dependencies, my machine froze.

An Amarok SFS might be nice if someone knows how to get it to even build first.

Digikam and showfoto might be nice, but I do have Kubuntu 11.04 running in virtualbox so I can deal if need be.

I am trying to use Lighthouse 64 in lieu of Snowpuppy because some of my RAM is "missing" running 32 bit.
tazoc

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 14:35    Post subject: Re: rtl8192se wireless; Amarok, BibleTime  

rcrsn51 wrote:
bwh1969 wrote:
Bada bing... works.
Excellent. I have rebuilt the PET with a few extra bits like tempestuous uses. Then it should work with the networking wizards.
Nice! Thank you rcrsn51 and bwh1969 for the drivers and firmware. I'll add Kirk's new RTL Pets for k3.0.3 to LHP Update in the next release.

Re: Amarok, BibleTime, Digikam: I've been installing Winamp from their website in Wine because it doesn't require KDE, but still miss Amarok sometimes. Both tend to be buggy in my trials, but Amarok has features like no other. It sure has a lot of dependencies! The redundant KDE dependencies in PPM arise because they are in the KDE SFS instead of the base system and I haven't found a way to avoid that.

I've been so busy with kernel 3.0.3, other updates and getting KDE itself more reliable I haven't had time devote to extras like Amarok or BibleTime, both require Qt4 but they are on my TODO list.
bwh1969 wrote:
TouchPad is not usable. it takes at least a dozen swipes to get the cursor to move a across the screen. I tried using the mouse tool to increase the acceleration, but that did not do a thing.

EDIT: changed min speed and max speed and acceleration in xorg.conf to higher values. Drastic improvement.
I've incorporated the flsynclient from Fatdog into the Setup Wizards menu for the next release. I don't have a touch pad to test it on, and the interface is not ideal, but maybe it will help.

A tab with xorg.conf opens automatically with Geany Text Editor in all Lighthouse versions for easier access to manual editing the file when necessary. Xorgwizard in the Setup menu also has that and other options for Xorg configuration.
-TaZoC

gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2011, 13:08    Post subject:  

Your Personalize Settings (FirstRUN) has been a real blessing in initial boot of this LH64 for the systems that I have tested on.

Thank you for your far-reaching understanding of user tailoring needs on initial boot of LH64.

bwh1969

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2011, 21:35    Post subject: Amarok sort of works  

I got Amarok to work in minimal way by installing it from one of the repos, and attempting to launch it, then I would install one package at a time with whatever dependency lib it called for until it launched. The left pane will not show my collection (all the icons for local, files, etc are showing but do nothing when I click them, but it does spend time scanning my chosen folder so just a dependency is missing I guess; but I can use "add media" and manually add music to my playlist from a folder. m4a (aac) and mp3 play without me installing gstreamer.

Covers don't show BUT they show up in cover manager...

Songbird might be a decent alternative? I do like it but was annoyed the last time I used it because I could not get it to play m4a files. They used to play by default even in the Linux version. Such things need to just work.
Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:10    Post subject:
Subject description: Thunderbird problem

There is a font problem with LHP's Thunderbird. See screen below which opens when trying to save an attachment to an e-mail.
image-6.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   36.43 KB
 Viewed   1205 Time(s)

image-6.jpg

bwh1969

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2011, 19:52    Post subject: volume keys?  

Is there a way to configure shortcut keys for volume. Fn + f10, 11, 12 usually control it. Not working on my asus 1201T sub notebook.
Barburo

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011, 16:55    Post subject: Installing Firefox7  

Taz,
I'm running your L64-512 on an older desktop with 64 bit capability. 511 already runs OK.
I thought I was getting problems with both FF6 and Chrome browsers - the usage indicator in the task bar next to the date went solid green for several minutes when setting them up and everything froze or was very slow.

Both seem a bit better now (rebooted etc.) but I'm thinking that maybe FF7 would use less memory that FF6 and be a bit snappier.

Looks like FF7 is only available as a tarball from Mozilla (firefox-7.0.1.tar.bz2). Is there a specific 64 bit version?

If I want to install it where how should I unpack it and what changes do I need to make.
Overwriting is OK - I don't need FF6 particularly.

Info attached.
B.
report-video-full.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  report-video-full.gz 
Filesize  11.71 KB 
Downloaded  250 Time(s) 

tazoc

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011, 22:07    Post subject: Thunderbird 7.01, Firefox7.01  

Barburo wrote:
Looks like FF7 is only available as a tarball from Mozilla (firefox-7.0.1.tar.bz2). Is there a specific 64 bit version?

If I want to install it where how should I unpack it and what changes do I need to make.
Overwriting is OK - I don't need FF6 particularly.

Info attached.
B.
Yes, there is a 64-bit version at ftp.mozilla.org. But I just use auto-update by running FF as root from a terminal:
Code:
firefox
It will open without your spot profile, don't worry, this is just for updating.

Then in FF click Help | About | Check for updates | Apply update. When prompted click Restart FF. Then re-check Help | About to confirm the 7.01 update completed. Close FF and then start it from the icon or however you usually do, and the new version will be running as spot (firefox-spot) with your existing profile.
Jim1911 wrote:
There is a font problem with LHP's Thunderbird. See screen below which opens when trying to save an attachment to an e-mail.
Thank you Jim1911, it was a 32-bit version--surprising it worked at all! Embarassed ftp.mozilla.org doesn't append their archives with x86_64 and therefore the slip-up. I have uploaded the 64-bit Thunderbird 7.01. Please uninstall the earlier T-bird in PPM, then select get_updates in Lighthouse Update and install 7.01. Works much better. Smile
bwh1969 wrote:
Is there a way to configure shortcut keys for volume. Fn + f10, 11, 12 usually control it. Not working on my asus 1201T sub notebook.
I roll my mouse wheel over the retrovol speaker icon in the system tray to set the volume. How to do it from the keyboard instead? In Openbox the key binding settings are defined in /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml, search for
Quote:
<!-- Keybindings for running applications -->
if you happen to know the commands to enter; I don't know them.

I think Fatdog 64 has a new app 'sven' that runs in the tray for multimedia key bindings. If that works for you in Fatdog, I'll try to include it in a future release of Lighthouse.

-TaZoC

Jim1911

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011, 23:25    Post subject: Re: Thunderbird 7.01, Firefox7.01  

tazoc wrote:

I have uploaded the 64-bit Thunderbird 7.01. Please uninstall the earlier T-bird in PPM, then select get_updates in Lighthouse Update and install 7.01. Works much better. Smile -TaZoC
Thanks for the update, it works fine.

Jim
bwh1969

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2011, 18:44    Post subject: Re: rtl8192se wireless  

It does work;-)

bwh1969 wrote:
Installed

depmod -a

ifconfig wlan0 up

Bada bing... works. They recently released this newer version of the driver and it is significantly more stable.

rcrsn51 wrote:
bwh1969 wrote:

Here it is, but there are no guarantees that it will work.

Update: There have now been six downloads and no replies, so I have removed the attachment.

If anyone wants to test this driver and provide some feedback, I will post it again.
nickdobrinich

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct 2011, 18:39    Post subject: Wbar in Lighthouse 64
Subject description: missing 64 bit libImlib2.so

Hi Tazoc,
I finally got a 64 bit machine to test out Lighthouse 64.
As usual, everything works well, even in beta.
What I really miss is the wbar from Lighthouse 5.03g.
When I try to run it from terminal, I get missing shared library libImlib2.so.1
I can't seem to find a 64 bit version of this lib.
Is there somewhere I should be looking?
Thx,
Nick
nickdobrinich

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:54    Post subject: Foxit reader
Subject description: square block font substitution

The foxitreader 1.1.0 pet will not work with 64 bit Lighthouse.
Same problem with square block substitution for fonts that Jim1911 encountered with Thunderbird.
Page 7 of 10 [149 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: