Lighthouse 64 5.12 Beta 1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rcrsn51

#76 Post by rcrsn51 »

gcmartin wrote:I had a similar problem with Wary last year. Seems to print OK with one Office processor and not with another. Can't find the documentation, but could a desktop font or could a package font cause this problem?
Probably not. It is more likely due to a mis-match between the version of CUPS in Wary and the version against which the office package was built.

Jim1911

#77 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Now only failure is with lo or ooo.
Since we can no longer reproduce the "bounding box" error, my only other suggestion is to test the Fatdog Libreoffice.
Fatdog's Libreoffice has the same problem printing, also it gives the same "General Error" on load/save as the other one did. Incidentally, the OOO 3.4 that I used works fine in Fatdog.

rcrsn51

#78 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote:Fatdog's Libreoffice has the same problem printing, also it gives the same "General Error" on load/save as the other one did.
Are you sure that you unloaded 3.4 before you loaded 3.3? I am not seeing either of those problems in 3.3.

Jim1911

#79 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Fatdog's Libreoffice has the same problem printing, also it gives the same "General Error" on load/save as the other one did.
Are you sure that you unloaded 3.4 before you loaded 3.3? I am not seeing either of those problems in 3.3.
Yes,it was removed. I've also tried LO 3.4.3.rc2_64, prepared with 01micko's "Get LibreOffice download and install LibreOffice". It doesn't print, also does not have the open/save "General Error" that the others have. LO 3.4.3.rc2_64 will not print in Fatdog 64-520 either although 3.3 works fine.

Success, I removed LO 3.4.3.rc2_64 using Bootloader and added 3.3.1, rebooted and tried again. After reboot I did use Pfind to remove elements of 3.4 that Bootloader missed. This time 3.3.1 worked fine, so as you stated the problem is probably due to "the version against which the office package was built." since both packages that fail were prepared in LHP.

We've been chasing the wrong dog. 01micko has done some updates on his application, so I used his latest version 0.10 to built the latest testing version of Libreoffice on both LHP and Fatdog, version 3.4.3.rc2_64 which fails to print on both. I also built the stable version 3.3.4_64 which works when built on either Fatdog 64-520 or LHP 64-512, so the print problem and "General Error" is with the 3.4 series versions of Libreoffice not Fatdog or LHP. Thanks for sticking with this rcrsn51, you kept us on track.

Jim

tazoc

aufs; Default Apps Chooser; CUPS

#80 Post by tazoc »

I think I have solved the aufs file system errors I've seen with kernel 3.0.3 and aufs 3.0-20110815. So after re-compiling both I found it helps in the init script to pause a second or so after the layers are loop mounted, but before mounting the union. Then after the union, run a simple test on the aufs xino tables:

Code: Select all

find /pup_new -ls 1>/dev/null 2>/tmp/layertest.log
The layer test can also be run from a terminal on the desktop:

find / ! -wholename "/proc/*" -ls >/dev/null
If there is no output then no aufs errors were found, and so far also no aufs errors appear in /var/log/messages. :D

Jim1911 and Rcrsn51,

Thank you for exploring various possibilities and trouble-shooting CUPS 1.4.2 in L64-5.12. I have not had time to work on this as yet, but plan to have a go at compiling a more recent CUPS and then compiling gtk+2-2.24.4 against it for a future release.

I'm curious if you have recommendations for which CUPS version I should try to compile. Slack 13.37 has 1.4.6, while http://ftp.easysw.com/pub/cups/ has 1.4.8 and 1.5.0 as well as many earlier versions.

sc0ttman,

Very good ideas, NLS support would be awesome! I've attached my work below.

-TaZoC
Attachments
defaults-chooser-files-110919-LHP.tar.gz
Lighthouse 64 Def Apps Chooser files
(not a Pet, for development/curiosity only)
(5.23 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

01micko

#81 Post by 01micko »

FWIW..

TazOC, slacko ships with cups-1.4.6 direct from slackware. It has probably been the least trouble. The only hack applied is the authentication hack for root user. (also it follows the default woof template). the only printing problems that have been reported have been my fault for not including the correct libusb. I don't know if this would be the same for x86_64.

z_spup_cups_authentication_fix-002.pet. This hack has been the same for almost a year.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rcrsn51

Re: aufs; Default Apps Chooser; CUPS

#82 Post by rcrsn51 »

tazoc wrote:I'm curious if you have recommendations for which CUPS version I should try to compile. Slack 13.37 has 1.4.6, while http://ftp.easysw.com/pub/cups/ has 1.4.8 and 1.5.0 as well as many earlier versions.
When you read the CUPS bug reports, almost none of them apply to the Puppy environment. I can't see a problem with keeping your current version. (Personally, I think that CUPS 1.3.11 is the superior release.)

It would be nice if some other users would test printing. It may be that our current GTK-CUPS patch is good enough. I now suspect that Jim's and my adventures had nothing to do with the patch.

tazoc

LibreOffice 3.4.2 printing workaround

#83 Post by tazoc »

I found that if LibreOffice 3.4.2 fails to print, from the LO application,

Choose File -> Print -> Select your Printer -> Properties -> Device

In the 'Printer Language type' drop-down change 'PDF' to 'PostScript (Level from driver)' -> OK -> Print.

LO doesn't seem to save the configuration globally, because opening a new document resets that property back to PDF, so I must repeat the steps for each new document.

Printing from Abiword or Firefox was OK. That's with my Canon MP560; try it with your printer...
-TaZoC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Barburo

Testing L64 512 b

#84 Post by Barburo »

... more on testing

I am using the Compiz Desktop and I quite like it. It must share the titlebar with openbox but gives you the C-F effects. The rightclick desktop context menu works well too.
Can you tell me what is the setting to change to stop the screen contracting to the four desktops whenever the cursor is top left? (Searched but can't find it in settings).

I downloaded the KDE and the Gvfs .sfs files as suggested and rebooted. Then used WM switcher to try KDE.
I get this error:
kstartupconfig4 does not exist. Error code 27. Check your installation.
When using the WM switcher to Xfce I get this error:
Could not look up internet address for L64-512b - sda5. This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly. It may be possible to add L64-512b - sda5 to etc/hosts.
I did that but the error persists. ( L64-512b - sda5 is what I changed the system name in etc/hostname from Mariner so I see in gkrellm what version of LHP I'm using and where it's located).

Xfce does open but with large fonts - perhaps this is a characteristic of Xfce. I cannot change the background in Xfce.

I Tried using WM to switch to LXDE from Xfce - it would only do this if I pressed Ctl-Alt-Backspace.

I still cannot change background in LXDE - right click on desktop has no effect - no menu displayed.

So several things not quite right for me in L64-512b but I do like several of the extras you've worked on and included.

sys-info file attached

B.
Attachments
sys-info-110921.gz
(10.24 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

rcrsn51

Re: LibreOffice 3.4.2 printing workaround

#85 Post by rcrsn51 »

tazoc wrote:In the 'Printer Language type' drop-down change 'PDF' to 'PostScript (Level from driver)' -> OK -> Print.
That makes sense. The basic issue here is whether applications are sending data to CUPS in PDF or PS form.

There are several ways that this can go wrong. If an application goes through the GTK CUPS backend, then the backend and CUPS must agree on the format. I suspect that's why our hack works. The Fatdog version of /usr/lib/gtk/.../libprintbackend-cups.so is the correct match to LH's CUPS. The version with your newer GTK has it wrong.

The other pitfall occurs when there is a mismatched version of CUPS that is missing the required filter to process the PDF/PS data when it arrives.

rcrsn51

Re: LibreOffice 3.4.2 printing workaround

#86 Post by rcrsn51 »

tazoc wrote:Printing from Abiword or Firefox was OK. That's with my Canon MP560; try it with your printer...
Printing now works for me from all apps. I suspect that the difference between Abiword and Libreoffice has to do with dynamic vs static builds. Abiword prints through the host machine's GTK-CUPS backend, so it works once we got the backend fixed. But Libreoffice hooks directly to CUPS, so it must send the data in the expected form.

What I still don't understand is how GTK and CUPS agree on what format to use when they are compiled.

tazoc

Re: Testing L64 512 b

#87 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:Can you tell me what is the setting to change to stop the screen contracting to the four desktops whenever the cursor is top left? (Searched but can't find it in settings).
Right-click Fusion-icon in the sys tray -> Settings Manager -> Desktop -> uncheck Expo.
I downloaded the KDE and the Gvfs .sfs files as suggested and rebooted. Then used WM switcher to try KDE.
I get this error:
kstartupconfig4 does not exist. Error code 27. Check your installation.
Thanks for the sys-info. I would change your Grub config entry kernel line from

psubdir=L64-512 pdev=sda5 pmedia=atahd
to

pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda5 psubdir=L64-512 pfix=fsck
(pdev1 instead of pdev, add pfix=fsck) Reboot to apply the changes. See also md5 notes below.
When using the WM switcher to Xfce I get this error:
Could not look up internet address for L64-512b - sda5. This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly. It may be possible to add L64-512b - sda5 to etc/hosts.
I did that but the error persists. ( L64-512b - sda5 is what I changed the system name in etc/hostname from Mariner so I see in gkrellm what version of LHP I'm using and where it's located).
The hostname can't have any spaces, use Menu -> Setup -> Personalize Settings to change the host name system-wide and restart X. (see tool tip in Personalize Settings.) Otherwise disregard the Xfce message for now.
Xfce does open but with large fonts - perhaps this is a characteristic of Xfce. I cannot change the background in Xfce.
Restart X to make sure rox or pcmanfm aren't still active. Open Xfce Settings Manager from the desktop menu in Xfce -> Appearance -> Fonts -> adjust the DPI setting up or down as desired. Click on Desktop in the Xfce Settings Manager for the background. Might be a display bug though. I had weird problems with the background with 2 monitors active.
I Tried using WM to switch to LXDE from Xfce - it would only do this if I pressed Ctl-Alt-Backspace.
I have the same behavior here. Working on a fix for that.
I still cannot change background in LXDE - right click on desktop has no effect - no menu displayed.
Type

pcmanfm --desktop-pref
in a terminal. Reboot with the changes to Grub above. If that doesn't help, check the md5sums by copying click-to-verify-mariner from the ISO into /mnt/home/L64-512/ and click on it. If KDE still won't start check its md5sum. Some files from the KDE SFS appear to be missing.
So several things not quite right for me in L64-512b but I do like several of the extras you've worked on and included.
Thank you for the feedback and thorough beta-testing. Helps ensure that the the next one is better.
-TaZoC

Jim1911

#88 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi TazOC,

Kirk has posted this on the Bibletime thread "I've uploaded a pet for Bibletime-2.8.1 to the Fatdog64 repo. It has a couple of bug fixes patched in. It requires the qt4, clucene, and sword packages install. Please note the the qt4 package requires a reboot. Also, I haven't tested this much."

I installed it on Fatdog and LHP and it works, however on LHP it breaks the KDE WM and does not have the menus as your compilation of Bibletime 2,8 did also. The Menus are correct on Fatdog. However there may be a clue as to why the menus don't work on LHP. Notice the difference in fonts in the following desktops. I have no idea as to why they are different since Kirk's pets were installed on both distributions. I was unable to determine which of Kirk's pets broke KDE.

Another problem is that the "Bookshelf Manager" does not work, see the Bibletime thread for additional comments regarding Bibletime for Fatdog 64.

EDIT: Kirk's already determined that the Bookshelf Manager problem was caused by some missing QT4 files and has posted the corrected version.

Hopefully, Bibletime, which is the best Linux Bible study program available can be made to work on LHP 64.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
LHP64.jpg
(66.08 KiB) Downloaded 1525 times
Fatdog64.jpg
(75.45 KiB) Downloaded 1588 times
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.

bwh1969

touchpad dismally slow

#89 Post by bwh1969 »

Went to use this on my Asus 1201T with 64 bit Athlon Processor.

TouchPad is not usable. it takes at least a dozen swipes to get the cursor to move a across the screen. I tried using the mouse tool to increase the acceleration, but that did not do a thing.

Help?

EDIT: changed min speed and max speed and acceleration in xorg.conf to higher values. Drastic improvement. Mouse tools while running desktop are ineffective in changing settings.
Last edited by bwh1969 on Sun 25 Sep 2011, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

bwh1969

rtl8192se wireless

#90 Post by bwh1969 »

Still not in the kernel. Most linux distributions include this one, as it is somewhat common now.

I attached it the source from Realtek. Might be nice if it could be compiled into a pet for now.

rcrsn51

Re: rtl8192se wireless

#91 Post by rcrsn51 »

bwh1969 wrote:Might be nice if it could be compiled into a pet for now.
Here it is.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

bwh1969

#92 Post by bwh1969 »

Installed

depmod -a

ifconfig wlan0 up

Bada bing... works. They recently released this newer version of the driver and it is significantly more stable.

rcrsn51 wrote:
bwh1969 wrote:Might be nice if it could be compiled into a pet for now.
Here it is, but there are no guarantees that it will work.

Update: There have now been six downloads and no replies, so I have removed the attachment.

If anyone wants to test this driver and provide some feedback, I will post it again.

rcrsn51

#93 Post by rcrsn51 »

bwh1969 wrote:Bada bing... works.
Excellent. I have rebuilt the PET with a few extra bits like tempestuous uses. Then it should work with the networking wizards.

bwh1969

No Amarok?

#94 Post by bwh1969 »

I just realized that Amarok is not in the KDE sfs?

I attempted to build it, but of course the build failed with qt issues within moments.

I tried installing from one of the repos first, but it wanted to basically upgrade all of kde at the expense of 425+ MB. I deselected some things and within a few downloads and installs of the dependencies, my machine froze.

An Amarok SFS might be nice if someone knows how to get it to even build first.

Digikam and showfoto might be nice, but I do have Kubuntu 11.04 running in virtualbox so I can deal if need be.

I am trying to use Lighthouse 64 in lieu of Snowpuppy because some of my RAM is "missing" running 32 bit.

tazoc

Re: rtl8192se wireless; Amarok, BibleTime

#95 Post by tazoc »

rcrsn51 wrote:
bwh1969 wrote:Bada bing... works.
Excellent. I have rebuilt the PET with a few extra bits like tempestuous uses. Then it should work with the networking wizards.
Nice! Thank you rcrsn51 and bwh1969 for the drivers and firmware. I'll add Kirk's new RTL Pets for k3.0.3 to LHP Update in the next release.

Re: Amarok, BibleTime, Digikam: I've been installing Winamp from their website in Wine because it doesn't require KDE, but still miss Amarok sometimes. Both tend to be buggy in my trials, but Amarok has features like no other. It sure has a lot of dependencies! The redundant KDE dependencies in PPM arise because they are in the KDE SFS instead of the base system and I haven't found a way to avoid that.

I've been so busy with kernel 3.0.3, other updates and getting KDE itself more reliable I haven't had time devote to extras like Amarok or BibleTime, both require Qt4 but they are on my TODO list.
bwh1969 wrote:TouchPad is not usable. it takes at least a dozen swipes to get the cursor to move a across the screen. I tried using the mouse tool to increase the acceleration, but that did not do a thing.

EDIT: changed min speed and max speed and acceleration in xorg.conf to higher values. Drastic improvement.
I've incorporated the flsynclient from Fatdog into the Setup Wizards menu for the next release. I don't have a touch pad to test it on, and the interface is not ideal, but maybe it will help.

A tab with xorg.conf opens automatically with Geany Text Editor in all Lighthouse versions for easier access to manual editing the file when necessary. Xorgwizard in the Setup menu also has that and other options for Xorg configuration.
-TaZoC