Lighthouse 64 5.12 Beta 1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Jim1911

#61 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:@jim1911: I can confirm your problem after I tried to print something more complicated than "hello world". I also got the "Bad %% banding box: comment seen" error.

What application were you printing from? My test was in Firefox.

Can you please confirm that the exact same print job works in Fatdog?
Sorry for the late reply. The only print test I did with Fatdog was to use the Print Test Page in Cups Maintenance screen which printed fine. With LHP, my first indication of problem was trying to print a Firefox screen, when that failed I tried Libreoffice Writer which also failed, and then the Print Test Page in Cups Maintenance screen and posted the error message. Surprised that you have only been able to duplicate it once. I will try on another computer that has a HP Officejet connected and post results here.

Thank you for the hard work that you put into keeping our printer/scanners working properly. Incidentally, I scanned a Printer Test Page using X-sane which scanned properly, then I tried to print it using Gimp which failed. Gimp did connect with the printer, however all that came out was a blank page.

Thanks,
Jim

rcrsn51

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

Check in CUPS that the paper size is the same as in your applications.

sc0ttman

updated defaults-chooser

#63 Post by sc0ttman »

hi Tazoc... I noticed you updated my defaults-chooser thingy for Lighthouse... Wanna post the script here? I will add your program additions to my main version, if you don't mind...

my current version (not available on forum yet, getting round to it) is faster, more apps, also it is i18n'd, with translations for fr, de, es, ru :)
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

rcrsn51

#64 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Jim1911: I did a fresh install of LH64 and installed my Photosmart C4680 as a C5280. So the only difference between our setups would be Libreoffice.

I could not duplicate the problem, except for Gimp, which only printed a blank page.

Jim1911

#65 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Jim1911: I did a fresh install of LH64 and installed my Photosmart C4680 as a C5280. So the only difference between our setups would be Libreoffice.

I could not duplicate the problem, except for Gimp, which only printed a blank page.
Tried Cups on my Dell Dimension with a HP Officejet 6500 Wireless. Installation is fine and the Print Test Page in Cups Maintenance screen printed fine, it does have Libreoffice installed. So I only have a problem with my HP C5280 Photosmart which is on my main system. I am using KDE, I'll switch to another WM and see if there is any change.

@TazOC, Attached is the sys-info report from the Dell that has a non-functional wireless connection.
Attachments
sys-info-110920.gz
(14.58 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

rcrsn51

#66 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote:I am using KDE, I'll switch to another WM and see if there is any change.
Or better yet, boot off the Live CD using "puppy pfix=ram" so you have a pristine install.

If there is actually a problem here, I don't think that it is related to a specific printer.

Jim1911

#67 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:I am using KDE, I'll switch to another WM and see if there is any change.
Or better yet, boot off the Live CD using "puppy pfix=ram" so you have a pristine install.

If there is actually a problem here, I don't think that it is related to a specific printer.
I switched to JWM and found that printing works except for Libreoffice which will not print. Switched back to KDE and found that it is now working. Created a new KDE installation and could not duplicate the problem. However, Libreoffice will not print although Abiword will.

The original save file was created using the XFCE WM so I'll try to duplicate the problem with that WM and report back. In any event there is a problem with Libreoffice.

rcrsn51

#68 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's better news. But because of how the printing system has been modified in Lighthouse vs Fatdog, I am not 100% sure that it is rock-solid.

Can you give me a link to the Libreoffice package that you are using?

I can't see how the window manager has anything to do with this. I wonder what would have happened if you had simply rebooted your system when the problem first appeared.

BTW, I googled the error message. Almost all the reports involved Photoshop on Macs! Not particularly helpful.

rcrsn51

#69 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote:However, Libreoffice will not print although Abiword will.
I installed Libreoffice and did a quick "Hello world" print test. It worked. Were you using a more complicated file?

Jim1911

#70 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:However, Libreoffice will not print although Abiword will.
I installed Libreoffice and did a quick "Hello world" print test. It worked. Were you using a more complicated file?
I used TazOC's Libreoffice from here.

A fresh installation using Xfce WM will not duplicate the problem. Although, Libreoffice will not print the following Equipment.odt file:
  • System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One
I also tried to print it using OpenOffice 3.4, same result. The above file does print with Abiword and I successfully printed the Firefox home page. For the failed print jobs, Jobs CUPS 1.4.2 just says that the job unknown pages was canceled at
Tue 20 Sep 2011 02:05:02 PM PDT with no further explanation. Attached is the sys-info report.

@TazOC,
Your Libreoffice writer gives this error when opening or saving above file. After pressing OK the file will load or save.
Attachments
image-5.jpg
(17.77 KiB) Downloaded 707 times
sys-info-110920.gz
(13.41 KiB) Downloaded 314 times

rcrsn51

#71 Post by rcrsn51 »

OK. LIbreoffice 3.4.2 from the Lighthouse repo definitely had printing problems. My initial tests were with 3.3.1 from the Fatdog repo and it worked.

I suspect that this is a side-effect of how printing was patched in LH.

Can you still find a web page that gives the "bounding box" error message?

rcrsn51

#72 Post by rcrsn51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:OK. LIbreoffice 3.4.2 from the Lighthouse repo definitely had printing problems. My initial tests were with 3.3.1 from the Fatdog repo and it worked. I suspect that this is a side-effect of how printing was patched in LH.
I believe that to be true. The patch that fixed printing for some apps broke printing from Libreoffice.

This is the inevitable result of trying to mix-and-match code in the printing system.

Jim1911

#73 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:OK. LIbreoffice 3.4.2 from the Lighthouse repo definitely had printing problems. My initial tests were with 3.3.1 from the Fatdog repo and it worked.

I suspect that this is a side-effect of how printing was patched in LH.

Can you still find a web page that gives the "bounding box" error message?
I got that error message only when I used the cups maintenance print test. Now only failure is with lo or ooo. Sorry this is from my andriod phone so I can't do further test now.

gcmartin

#74 Post by gcmartin »

Hmmm...

I had a similar problem with Wary last year. Seems to print OK with one Office processor and not with another.

Can't find the documentation, but could a desktop font or could a package font cause this problem?

Hope this helps

rcrsn51

#75 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote:Now only failure is with lo or ooo.
Since we can no longer reproduce the "bounding box" error, my only other suggestion is to test the Fatdog Libreoffice.

rcrsn51

#76 Post by rcrsn51 »

gcmartin wrote:I had a similar problem with Wary last year. Seems to print OK with one Office processor and not with another. Can't find the documentation, but could a desktop font or could a package font cause this problem?
Probably not. It is more likely due to a mis-match between the version of CUPS in Wary and the version against which the office package was built.

Jim1911

#77 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Now only failure is with lo or ooo.
Since we can no longer reproduce the "bounding box" error, my only other suggestion is to test the Fatdog Libreoffice.
Fatdog's Libreoffice has the same problem printing, also it gives the same "General Error" on load/save as the other one did. Incidentally, the OOO 3.4 that I used works fine in Fatdog.

rcrsn51

#78 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote:Fatdog's Libreoffice has the same problem printing, also it gives the same "General Error" on load/save as the other one did.
Are you sure that you unloaded 3.4 before you loaded 3.3? I am not seeing either of those problems in 3.3.

Jim1911

#79 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Fatdog's Libreoffice has the same problem printing, also it gives the same "General Error" on load/save as the other one did.
Are you sure that you unloaded 3.4 before you loaded 3.3? I am not seeing either of those problems in 3.3.
Yes,it was removed. I've also tried LO 3.4.3.rc2_64, prepared with 01micko's "Get LibreOffice download and install LibreOffice". It doesn't print, also does not have the open/save "General Error" that the others have. LO 3.4.3.rc2_64 will not print in Fatdog 64-520 either although 3.3 works fine.

Success, I removed LO 3.4.3.rc2_64 using Bootloader and added 3.3.1, rebooted and tried again. After reboot I did use Pfind to remove elements of 3.4 that Bootloader missed. This time 3.3.1 worked fine, so as you stated the problem is probably due to "the version against which the office package was built." since both packages that fail were prepared in LHP.

We've been chasing the wrong dog. 01micko has done some updates on his application, so I used his latest version 0.10 to built the latest testing version of Libreoffice on both LHP and Fatdog, version 3.4.3.rc2_64 which fails to print on both. I also built the stable version 3.3.4_64 which works when built on either Fatdog 64-520 or LHP 64-512, so the print problem and "General Error" is with the 3.4 series versions of Libreoffice not Fatdog or LHP. Thanks for sticking with this rcrsn51, you kept us on track.

Jim

tazoc

aufs; Default Apps Chooser; CUPS

#80 Post by tazoc »

I think I have solved the aufs file system errors I've seen with kernel 3.0.3 and aufs 3.0-20110815. So after re-compiling both I found it helps in the init script to pause a second or so after the layers are loop mounted, but before mounting the union. Then after the union, run a simple test on the aufs xino tables:

Code: Select all

find /pup_new -ls 1>/dev/null 2>/tmp/layertest.log
The layer test can also be run from a terminal on the desktop:

Code: Select all

find / ! -wholename "/proc/*" -ls >/dev/null
If there is no output then no aufs errors were found, and so far also no aufs errors appear in /var/log/messages. :D

Jim1911 and Rcrsn51,

Thank you for exploring various possibilities and trouble-shooting CUPS 1.4.2 in L64-5.12. I have not had time to work on this as yet, but plan to have a go at compiling a more recent CUPS and then compiling gtk+2-2.24.4 against it for a future release.

I'm curious if you have recommendations for which CUPS version I should try to compile. Slack 13.37 has 1.4.6, while http://ftp.easysw.com/pub/cups/ has 1.4.8 and 1.5.0 as well as many earlier versions.

sc0ttman,

Very good ideas, NLS support would be awesome! I've attached my work below.

-TaZoC
Attachments
defaults-chooser-files-110919-LHP.tar.gz
Lighthouse 64 Def Apps Chooser files
(not a Pet, for development/curiosity only)
(5.23 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]